• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garryk

Can't lick the Wonderlic:

"Another year, another woeful performance on the Wonderlic test for bunches of college athletes who have somehow remained eligible at major universities despite testing borderline literate.

The latest player scores to leak are all wide receivers: West Virginia's Tavon Austin and Tennessee's Cordarrelle Patterson and Justin Hunter. The trio scored a 7, 11, and 12, respectively.

A test score of ten on the Wonderlic is considered functional literacy. According to Wonderlic data the average engineer would score around a 30, the average security guard a 17."

cdyhybrid

I don't really give a shit about the Wonderlic. There have been great and terrible players that have done well and done terribly on the test.

cdyhybrid

From the NFL thread.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 2m
A trashed hotel room at Indy scouting combine that Yahoo reported on belonged to Clemson WR DeAndre Hopkins and Rutgers WR Mark Harrison.

Explain yourselves, Harvard of New Jersey!

Draxal

From the NFL thread.

A trashed hotel room at Indy scouting combine that Yahoo reported on belonged to Clemson WR DeAndre Hopkins and Rutgers WR Mark Harrison.

Honestly, I'd be suprised if it was Mark Harrison, now if it was DC Jefferson ...

Draxal

From the NFL thread.

Poopgate's an ACC Thing yo.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 40m
NFL sources said they are convinced that Rutgers wide receiver Mark Harrison is not responsible for the trashed hotel room.
Collapse Reply Retweet Favorite More

cdyhybrid

Poopgate's an ACC Thing yo.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 40m
NFL sources said they are convinced that Rutgers wide receiver Mark Harrison is not responsible for the trashed hotel room.
Collapse Reply Retweet Favorite More

What role did Christie play in all this?

From the NFL thread.

The Clemson guy obviously invited Eight Ball the Tiger up.

Does this mean that UConn is finally getting rid of their old pomeranian husky?

uconn-logo1.jpg

Yeah that logo is gone.

From the NFL thread.

Wait? I thought that was Princeton? :p

No wait, that's the Princeton of New Jersey.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Comparison of what our new video board will look like compared to the old -

The picture that looks like a high school stadium is the north endzone around 2002 or so (the other side of the stadium has always been bowled in and looks much better); the only actual screen part of that board is the black square in the lower middle surrounded by ads. The one on the bottom was taken in the last week and shows the support structure for the new screen. I've heard that while the screen itself will be something like the 14th largest screen in the country the actual support structure for it will be THE largest.

On a side note, the other side of the stadium is already bowled in and looks much better than that endzone pic in 2002. Those extra seats in the picture were added around '08 or '09 I think. The lack of those extra seats is what made the fans want to cram the goalpost into the visitor section after the A&M game in 2001 (visitors section being the red seats on the right in that first photo); it was the best place to try to get the goalpost out of the stadium and onto University Street to parade it through town, which is off to the right of the photo on the east side of the stadium.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, Texas Tech is going all out for KKK's arrival.

It was under way since well before Tuberville was on the outs and the Kingsbury hire was even on the table. The new board will be ready for this season but it was originally supposed to be ready for LAST season but the building in the endzone couldn't structurally support the board so they had to redraw the plans and delay it a year.

Draxal

So I'm a Rutgers/Giants fan; who obviously provide completely different levels of satisfaction as a fan.

I know Bertram is a Buckeye/Browns fan which also provide completely different levels of satisfaction as well; especialy with the Haslam disaster.

Anybody else have really experience with extreme variances between their pro and college teams?

So I'm a Rutgers/Giants fan; who obviously provide completely different levels of satisfaction as a fan.

I know Bertram is a Buckeye/Browns fan which also provide completely different levels of satisfaction as well; especialy with the Haslam disaster.

Anybody else have really experience with extreme variances between their pro and college teams?

OSU/Bengals/Blue Jackets. Good, mediocre, to people dont even know we exist.

Garryk

Arkansas has no NFL team to like. We are in a weird Cowboys/Chiefs/Rams venn diagram. The only pro team I follow is the St. Louis Cardinals.

Fun Facts: The year I was born the Cardinals won the Series. The next time they won was the year I met my future wife, and the last time they won was the year our first child was born. Our next kid is due in September so the Cards better win it all or it's off to the orphanage.

Also, a new chapter in the Mitch Mustain Saga.

Draxal

Arkansas has no NFL team to like. We are in a weird Cowboys/Chiefs/Rams venn diagram. The only pro team I follow is the St. Louis Cardinals.

Fun Facts: The year I was born the Cardinals won the Series. The next time they won was the year I met my future wife, and the last time they won was the year our first child was born. Our next kid is due in September so the Cards better win it all or it's off to the orphanage.

Aren't you guys supposed to kinda like the boys; since Jerry Jones is pretty much a huge booster of the Razorbacks?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

yeah, saw that trailer a couple days ago.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

Wolverines and Lions? Yeah, I'd say I have some experience.

To be honest, though, I haven't been much of a Lions fan since Bobby Ross quit (2000?); "Lions-free" more or less since then. Their losses don't hurt me anymore.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Wouldn't having real grass make us more hippie-ish?

I can assure you that the hippie population at OSU is exceedingly low.

Synthetic fields are made of plastic and then in-filled with pulverized rubber particles instead of plants as on a natural grass field.
Both the synthetic turf and the rubber must be disposed of when the field reaches its life capacity (8-10 yrs). Natural grass fields require renovation less frequently with much reduced renovation costs.
Synthetic fields do not cool the environment like natural turf.
Synthetic fields and natural grass fields have similar irrigation requirements since both need irrigation in warmer months and little to no irrigation in cooler months.
Synthetic fields do not help to filter air and water pollutants.
Synthetic fields do not fix CO2 (carbon-dioxide) and release O2 (oxygen) as do natural grass fields.
The net carbon loss for a synthetic field is high, whereas a natural grass field will have a net carbon gain despite the need for fertilizer and some pesticide inputs to maintain a natural grass.

Also, astroturf gets EXTREMELY hot.

ChiTownBuffalo

Colorado Buffaloes/Denver Broncos.

So, yes, cry on Saturday, happy claps on Sunday or Monday. Also, I have a lot of schadenfreude towards the Bears.

cdyhybrid

Both my college and pro team are coached by a part of USC's dominant run in the 2000s. They're both coming off a few average/mediocre seasons (and one good season in the Hawks' case) and are poised to take a leap this year. Both starting QBs are tiny.

On the other hand, the Mariners might be the worst team in baseball and my basketball team doesn't currently exist.

Limedust

I graduated from Alabama, and the wife was a Baltimore Ravens fan from when they moved over from Cleveland (which made her a Browns fan prior to that), so those have been our teams from the start.

Last season was pretty decent.

ESPN's 150 for 2014 released today for those that care. Texas already has just as many commits for 2014 as we did signees in the 2013 class.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports//...rankings/_/view/espnu150/sort/rank/class/2014

Also, the ghost of bluemax will be pleased to know Snoop Dogg's son committed to USC for the class of 2015. FREE BLUEMAX!

The #1 choice in Texas for Texas players, the Texas A&M Aggies has more.

If you guys try hard enough, you might just reach the Aggie level. I know it's hard being a second tier institution in Texas having to deal with Aggy dominance but you'll pull through.

cdyhybrid

Budda Baker down at like #139 or some shit. Still, Sark needs to get him. The message boarders are already wringing their hands over the proverbial fence around the state being faulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom