• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Downtown Nashville? I hope you like live subpar country music.

I hate country music. It's one of two genres of music (opera is the other) that I just can't stand. Nevertheless, a good time was had by most.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Comparison of what our new video board will look like compared to the old -

100_5416.jpg

DSC_4743_zpsc4528889.jpg

The picture that looks like a high school stadium is the north endzone around 2002 or so (the other side of the stadium has always been bowled in and looks much better); the only actual screen part of that board is the black square in the lower middle surrounded by ads. The one on the bottom was taken in the last week and shows the support structure for the new screen. I've heard that while the screen itself will be something like the 14th largest screen in the country the actual support structure for it will be THE largest.

On a side note, the other side of the stadium is already bowled in and looks much better than that endzone pic in 2002. Those extra seats in the picture were added around '08 or '09 I think. The lack of those extra seats is what made the fans want to cram the goalpost into the visitor section after the A&M game in 2001 (visitors section being the red seats on the right in that first photo); it was the best place to try to get the goalpost out of the stadium and onto University Street to parade it through town, which is off to the right of the photo on the east side of the stadium.

The new "vidja" board (are they gonna call it "RaiderVision?") will be great and all, but the sound system it contains is what really excites me. I only hope the AD has the mindset of not BLASTING the volume of the advertisements like they do at Longhorn games here in Austin. It's disconcerting when the loudest thing in the stadium--louder than the fans or the marching band--is a Quisno's ad.

Actually, I'm most excited about the new arches/colonnade that will surround that north end of the stadium behind the new video board--going from the east side stadium building to the west side stadium building--enclosing the whole thing in our traditional Spanish Renaissance architectural theme. Finally, no more looking at those bare concrete support columns from the Marsha Sharp Freeway. The east and west buildings are both so gorgeous from the outside of the stadium, and that bare concrete for the stands on the north side just stuck out like a sore thumb. This will tie those three sides of the stadium together.

Can't wait to see what they do with the South side now. You'd figure after basically over a decade straight of off-season construction at the Jones, I'd want a break, but no. They're getting everything so right, I'm genuinely excited to see the next phase.

Check out the Outside Elevation drawing (top drawing) to see what the new collonnade will look like:

zutaVrp.png

Here's what the yucky-looking north side looks like now from the outside, for reference/for people who have no idea what we're yapping about:

The new "vidja" board (are they gonna call it "RaiderVision?") will be great and all, but the sound system it contains is what really excites me. I only hope the AD has the mindset of not BLASTING the volume of the advertisements like they do at Longhorn games here in Austin. It's disconcerting when the loudest thing in the stadium--louder than the fans or the marching band--is a Quisno's ad.

Actually, I'm most excited about the new arches/colonnade that will surround that north end of the stadium behind the new video board--going from the east side stadium building to the west side stadium building--enclosing the whole thing in our traditional Spanish Renaissance architectural theme. Finally, no more looking at those bare concrete support columns from the Marsha Sharp Freeway. The east and west buildings are both so gorgeous from the outside of the stadium, and that bare concrete for the stands on the north side just stuck out like a sore thumb. This will tie those three sides of the stadium together.

Can't wait to see what they do with the South side now. You'd figure after basically over a decade straight of off-season construction at the Jones, I'd want a break, but no. They're getting everything so right, I'm genuinely excited to see the next phase.

zutaVrp.png

Apparently Davis Webb impressed the masses today at your spring game. I still don't think he'll be the starter, but if Brewer starts to slip up, Kingsbury will probably hear it from the fans to make the switch.

In our case, Mack Brown only gave Tyrone Swoopes one drive in our spring game so he wouldn't have enough time to impress everyone (But he did anyway). If Ash starts to suck it up, I'm sure the fans will chant for Swoopes rather than McCoy to be sent in.

edit: I don't know why I quoted your post other than your a Tech fan and I am discussing your Tech spring game. I went on the raiders website to check highlights, and instead all I got was a 2 hour video broadcasting the entire spring game. Aint nobody got time for that.

Apparently Davis Webb impressed the masses today at your spring game. I still don't think he'll be the starter, but if Brewer starts to slip up, Kingsbury will probably hear it from the fans to make the switch.

In our case, Mack Brown only gave Tyrone Swoopes one drive in our spring game so he wouldn't have enough time to impress everyone (But he did anyway). If Ash starts to suck it up, I'm sure the fans will chant for Swoopes rather than McCoy to be sent in.

edit: I don't know why I quoted your post other than your a Tech fan and I am discussing your Tech spring game. I went on the raiders website to check highlights, and instead all I got was a 2 hour video broadcasting the entire spring game. Aint nobody got time for that.

Webb looked good. (I watched the Spring game on Fox Sports Southwest.) But I'd be shocked if he didn't wear the redshirt, frankly. At least that's what I'm hoping for. He does have a contingent of fans who think he's the Golden Child of West Texas. And he may be. I'd just like him to not lose that eligibility while we find out if Brewer is everything we think he is too.

Brewer will be the guy, I feel. Dude did nothing in HS but win games. He wasn't being allowed to roll out in this game as much as he'll be able to in real games, and his wheels are what made him such a weapon in HS. Sitting back in a stationary pocket, he'll have balls knocked down at the LOS like he had trouble with today against our rangy linemen.

Yeah...you guys are going to have a helluva time keeping that kid off the field. Being here in Austin, and having a good friend/cousin who bleeds that terrible orange color, I follow the 'Horns pretty close. I'm sure Ash will come out like gangbusters in the creampuff games, and make everyone say "oh wow" like early last year, but he'll likely fall back to earth again. We had a guy like that in Taylor Potts not too long ago. Big, strong, all the measurables...then he throws multiple crucial picks.

Texas Tech's video offerings online are definitely a work-in-progress. We've got a new guy running the show there, and he's fixing things as fast as he can. The video player at least is 1000X better than it was when he got the job, and the vignettes they do are much-improved as well. But yeah...they have a way to go.

Webb looked good. (I watched the Spring game on Fox Sports Southwest.) But I'd be shocked if he didn't wear the redshirt, frankly. At least that's what I'm hoping for. He does have a contingent of fans who think he's the Golden Child of West Texas. And he may be. I'd just like him to not lose that eligibility while we find out if Brewer is everything we think he is too.

Brewer will be the guy, I feel. Dude did nothing in HS but win games. He wasn't being allowed to roll out in this game as much as he'll be able to in real games, and his wheels are what made him such a weapon in HS. Sitting back in a stationary pocket, he'll have balls knocked down at the LOS like he had trouble with today against our rangy linemen.

You know we also once had a QB that did nothing but win games in highschool, and he came from the same highschool Brewer did. Color me skeptical about a QB that impressed everyone while at Lake Travis

You know we also once had a QB that did nothing but win games in highschool, and he came from the same highschool Brewer did. Color me skeptical about a QB that impressed everyone while at Lake Travis

Meh. Color me skeptical about Greg Davis' ability to coach.

(I'm not even entertaining the notion that Mack Brown coached at all.)

Meh. Color me skeptical about Greg Davis' ability to coach.

(I'm not even entertaining the notion that Mack Brown coached at all.)

Gilbert hasn't been doing much better under June Jones simplified system either, but of course Gilbert was an unprecedented case. I don't think any 5 star QB has ever looked so sharp, poised, and comfortable in HS, and yet so lost in college. The most widely accepted explanation for his failure to transition to the college game was that the Lake Travis offense was extremely simplified and only 4 or 5 main routes were run. That theory was just about smashed when even under Jones' similar system, he still could not find a rhythm, and threw 15 TD's, and 15 INT's against mostly CUSA competition. So, maybe it wasn't the simplified offense at Lake Travis, and maybe Gilbert caught amnesia after making a deal with the devil to get an offer from Mack Brown. I can't say for sure, but what I can predict is that Brewer, even though he was the QB that took over after Gilbert graduated at Lake Travis, will not be nearly as big of a bust as Gilbert was. More than likely, much to the dismay of Texas fans, your QB from Lake Travis will be a serviceable if not quite good QB under Kingsbury.

Piggus

Oh man havent been in here for a while. Bet you mudafuckas have been talking all kinds of shit about the inevitable penalties we face. Too bad for blumax and krew the penalties will be minimal. bitches.

Ducks national champs 2014 suckas.

Good for tOSU, they should not let the NCAA dictate their eligibility for a national title. They were the only undefeated team last year and played a tough B1G schedule. Those rings are well earned, and well deserved.

Take it easy on us, guys.

You know they're just going trade them for tats. What's the big deal?

We would have beaten Notre Dame, for what it's worth. Bama? Yeah, no chance. But whatev.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Because that is where I get to see Michigan play.

I live near Duffy's, which I believe is the largest Michigan bar outside if Ann Arbor. I don't the idea of those drunken alums getting into embarrassing bro stand offs with drunk Illini fans.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I live near Duffy's, which I believe is the largest Michigan bar outside if Ann Arbor. I don't the idea of those drunken alums getting into embarrassing bro stand offs with drunk Illini fans.

HA! I don't know any other Michigan fans. Most people I know are Illini fans with a few Mizzou and Notre Dame fans mixed in. I'm from down state just west of Springfield.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Ahahaha. And I thought the Auburn thing was delusional.

hey, they still claim 2004.

As well as 1993.

and 1983. (Some might say, being 3rd going into the bowl games, having 1 and 2 lose, and having #5 Miami jump them was a crime. But I won't say it)

LOL @ The Buckeye's rings. No chance in hell that team would've beaten 'Bama.

Gilbert hasn't been doing much better under June Jones simplified system either, but of course Gilbert was an unprecedented case. I don't think any 5 star QB has ever looked so sharp, poised, and comfortable in HS, and yet so lost in college. The most widely accepted explanation for his failure to transition to the college game was that the Lake Travis offense was extremely simplified and only 4 or 5 main routes were run. That theory was just about smashed when even under Jones' similar system, he still could not find a rhythm, and threw 15 TD's, and 15 INT's against mostly CUSA competition. So, maybe it wasn't the simplified offense at Lake Travis, and maybe Gilbert caught amnesia after making a deal with the devil to get an offer from Mack Brown. I can't say for sure, but what I can predict is that Brewer, even though he was the QB that took over after Gilbert graduated at Lake Travis, will not be nearly as big of a bust as Gilbert was. More than likely, much to the dismay of Texas fans, your QB from Lake Travis will be a serviceable if not quite good QB under Kingsbury.

Fair point about Gilbert under Jones. Personally though, I think he was permanently damaged confidence-wise by Greg Davis et. al. and coming into a new scene, with the spotlight focussed right on him would be hard enough to do for a player with swagger. I maintain that Greg Davis ruined him. Just a horrible offensive coaching staff he was saddled with, and a tough hand dealt to him with the fans in Austin always looking over his shoulder at the sidelines with dreams of Colt Jr. dancing in their heads. But I won't beat that dead horse too much more than it's already been pounded on.

Actually, that system you reference, with 5 routes in various combinations is basically the essence of the Hal Mumme/Mike Leach/ect. spread system. So I'd agree strongly with your supposition that perhaps it wasn't and isn't the system. That system needs three things to really click--tons and tons of detail-oriented reps in practice, (meaning practice also has to be conducted at a very fast pace,) supreme confidence in the QB by the players and especially the coaching staff not to micromanage the QB, (since the system never works unless you're willing to take your hands off the wheel and let the QB make the ultimate read at the LOS,) and a lot of discipline from all the rest of the players to be situationally aware at all times. From what I understand talking to my cousin, those practices under Davis were not fast-paced, and the scheme got complicated and convoluted as the staff lost confidence in the basics and started looking for new wrinkles to be the answer. Plus, if you want to have a real possession running game in that scheme, (which Mack always dreams about and recruits towards, no matter what he says about slinging it around) you've gotta split some of those much-needed reps, so practice has to be even faster.

Confidence though is maybe the biggest element there.

Looking again at the Red Raiders' spring game today, I think it's pretty obvious that Brewer is the guy. As I said before, they were sticking to basic plays and not moving Brewer around, (which they'll certainly want to do in real games to take advantage of his mobility,) so he did see some balls batted down. But he threw the ball well, and made confident decisions. In times when he did scramble, he looked great, and could have easily scored a rushing TD if they weren't playing touch football rules on the QB.

Webb was far less confident, and convinced me that he'll likely get a redshirt. He has potential to be a monster for us. A year out for seasoning and strength training will do nothing but good for him.

Another reason I'm so confident that Webb can redshirt is that Clayton Nicholas, our redshirt freshman that was on the scout team last yr. (6'3"-220 from Abilene Cooper) looked REALLY good. I kinda slept on him watching the game live on Sat. but watching the playback today, he really impressed me. Don't sleep on this kid like I did.

For Tech, it really is an embarrassment of riches at QB, IMO. I don't have any insight into what Kliff will do, but my personal opinion is that Webb's job this year will be to push both the older guys this offseason, and make our scout team really fucking salty to challenge the D all year.

I'm also fairly confident that the Longhorns will show some improvement if they stick with Ash. Will they win the conference? No. But they'll be a lot less frustrating to watch. Will Texas fans who want to win every year still want Mack gone after next season? Yeah. Probably worse than ever, especially if he gets bent over the Sooner Schooner again.

I'm also fairly confident that the Longhorns will show some improvement if they stick with Ash. Will they win the conference? No. But they'll be a lot less frustrating to watch. Will Texas fans who want to win every year still want Mack gone after next season? Yeah. Probably worse than ever, especially if he gets bent over the Sooner Schooner again.

I'm predicting a 7-2 conference record this year for Texas. We have the most experience on offense in all of FBS coming back, and 2nd in combined offense and defense (Only surpassed by GT ). Mack can't use youth as an excuse this year, and if he does everyone will laugh in his face (except for Dodds who will sympathize with him like a whipped yes man ). With that said, we'll still lose to OU, and to one other team we should beat...probably Kansas State or Baylor. If we beat BYU and Ole Miss in non-conference we'll be in conversation for a BCS bowl, but unfortunately I believe this is the best case scenario for our team this season.

we're officially 3/8ths complete with the off season or midway through the 2nd quarter. How ever you want to look at it, this off season is creeping along.

It's never too early to plan ahead. ESPN has already posted 2013 schedules from week 1- 15.

This layout is more viewer friendly than the one on fbsschdule's website

http://espn.go.com/college-football/schedule

I'm surprised the Georgia/Clemson game got the primetime spot over Alabama vs. VTech. Maybe producers feel the latter will be a blowout and uninteresting by the 2nd quarter.

ChiTownBuffalo

One of CU's QBs is transferring. Something something Ivy League

ChiTownBuffalo

Damn! Your starting QB tore his ACL in the spring, and now they guy tied for #2 on the depth chart, Hirschman, transfers. Looks like Connor Wood is your starter now by default. Poor kid couldn't hold a candle to Case McCoy.

Yup. None of this is worrisome in CU's new spread/pistol scheme.

andycapps

I hate country music. It's one of two genres of music (opera is the other) that I just can't stand. Nevertheless, a good time was had by most.

Nashville is awesome, though I like the Belmont area more and the area around Vandy. The downtown part is interesting.. I'll be there in a few weeks with the wife.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't been able to watch the game yet but everything I've heard is about how Brewer cemented his job as the starter, at least heading into fall camp. The spring game itself hasn't been talked about as far as being super impressive for Webb, but the entire spring as a whole has been very impressive for him.

For Tech, it really is an embarrassment of riches at QB, IMO. I don't have any insight into what Kliff will do, but my personal opinion is that Webb's job this year will be to push both the older guys this offseason, and make our scout team really fucking salty to challenge the D all year.

Webb is going to be our #2 quarterback. What I think this means is that Nicholas will get mop up duty playtime but if Brewer were to ever go down to injury it's Webb that is going to be the guy that steps in and starts; some analysts seem to think Webb will play this season no matter what but I find it hard to believe they'll burn a redshirt to split time. At any rate, he won't be running the scout team, and for that matter neither will Nicholas. They'll go with one of the walk-ons for that.

Also -

qQqi9I4.jpg

If Kliff learned nothing else from his time with the New England Patriots it looks like he got sweats chopping technique down.

Congrats to you. Dunno what decent bowls will be in play this year, that were much better than C-USA though as of right now, they've been pretty crappy tie ins for a while now.
The AAC will have the existing bowl agreements for this upcoming year.

So, BCS, Russel, Belk, Pinstripe, Beef. Liberty and Compass could be in play too. I think the small amount of teams in the past certainly limited options. Nevertheless, AAC in 2014 and beyond will have a worse lineup overall.

Oh and looks like the ACC member schools have just signed a GoR. So nobody is going anywhere anytime soon. Congrats on the stability!

Draxal

So, BCS, Russel, Belk, Pinstripe, Beef. Liberty and Compass could be in play too. I think the small amount of teams in the past certainly limited options. Nevertheless, AAC in 2014 and beyond will have a worse lineup overall.

Oh and looks like the ACC member schools have just signed a GoR. So nobody is going anywhere anytime soon. Congrats on the stability!

Ayup looks like conference realignment is dead.

Of the power five conferences I think the Big 12 is the biggest loser (they really should have taken Ville/WVU/Cincinatti at the same time).

TheNatural

My Member!

Well we're taking the BCS so don't worry about that one. :p

Also, fuck yeah. I figured all the ACC is next talk was bullshit all along. If anyone was going to add whoever, they would have done it the past 4 rounds of expansion.

Ayup looks like conference realignment is dead.

Of the power five conferences I think the Big 12 is the biggest loser (they really should have taken Ville/WVU/Cincinatti at the same time).

Yeah, Big 10 is shut out basically. They're obviously aren't going for Cinci. And UConn is probably unneeded due to Rutgers. ACC becomes safe and Big XII is shut out of Florida as FSU and UM are now no longer options.

AAC is going to be getting a little cozy. Good thing is that there is a good core to work from and improve, but that will take time - I think it also gets that open spot most of the years once the new system starts up. Big XII, depending on how much they want Florida, if at all, would be reduced to looking at UCF/USF - which isn't going to happen anytime soon.

I suppose Big XII could look at Cinci at least to help out WVU, but seems that is lukewarm at best from anyone but WVU.

Edit: ACC Grant of Rights looks to be through 2026-2027.

Draxal

Yeah, Big 10 is shut out basically. They're obviously aren't going for Cinci. And UConn is probably unneeded due to Rutgers. ACC becomes safe and Big XII is shut out of Florida as FSU and UM are now no longer options.

AAC is going to be getting a little cozy. Good thing is that there is a good core to work from and improve, but that will take time - I think it also gets that open spot most of the years once the new system starts up. Big XII, depending on how much they want Florida, if at all, would be reduced to looking at UCF/USF - which isn't going to happen anytime soon.

I suppose Big XII could look at Cinci at least to help out WVU, but seems that is lukewarm at best from anyone but WVU.

I wouldn't mind Uconn coming to the Big 10, because with Uconn the bball tourney would be at MSG. But without a 16th there's no point.

I wouldn't mind Uconn coming to the Big 10, because with Uconn the bball tourney would be at MSG. But without a 16th there's no point.
Big East has MSG - and they do for quite awhile. So that probably wouldn't even be an option. Not sure if the Big 10 would want to play there anyway.

I'm not sure what UConn would add. Wouldn't Rutgers satisfy the northeast TV market well enough?

TheNatural

My Member!

Edit: ACC Grant of Rights looks to be through 2026-2027.

Big 12 arrogance (specifically Texas) screwed them over. They thought they could sit back and dictate when, where, and how they were going to expand and didn't mind us toiling while they gave lesser athletic departments invites. I said two years ago we were a monster ready to take off and they were going to regret the West Virginia invite, and the results speak for themselves.

As for you, you should be excited, because this locks out other Florida programs. Big 12 will expand eventually I believe, especially if they start getting shut out of playoff scenarios because of no conference title game. When they expand, they're not going more into Texas, they're going to go into Florida. If you put together a Boise esque run over the next few years and lock up that Group of Five BCS bid and make some noise, you have a legit shot.

Draxal

Big East has MSG - and they do for quite awhile. So that probably wouldn't even be an option. Not sure if the Big 10 would want to play there anyway.

I'm not sure what UConn would add. Wouldn't Rutgers satisfy the northeast TV market well enough?

MSG could get out of that deal without any issues. Uconn's the biggest basketball team in the NYC area with Cuse/ND/St John's kinda counting.

You know I'm a big Rutgers homer, but Rutgers doesn't carry the NYC market, it has presence in the market where the Big 10 teams have a ton of presence already (Michigan and PSU are pretty big here) so that's why Rutgers was a good move for the Big 10. It's just NYC is the capital of the sports world; all the pro leagues offices are in NYC as is the Heisman/NFL draft, cementing that market would be huge for the ACC or Big 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom