• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

Wouldn't having real grass make us more hippie-ish?

I can assure you that the hippie population at OSU is exceedingly low.

For some reason the hippies thing seemed to go with the rest of the sentence. Ideally I would have used this in a response to Cyan.

I still prefer real grass.. Lot cooler to play on, looks better, I think it's a little safer to run on, and all those eco-reasons that ChiTown gave.

Anybody else have really experience with extreme variances between their pro and college teams?

Not really. I'm a Bulldogs fan, Braves, and Falcons fan so I'm used to having great seasons followed by epic meltdowns in post-season play.

Both my college and pro team are coached by a part of USC's dominant run in the 2000s. They're both coming off a few average/mediocre seasons (and one good season in the Hawks' case) and are poised to take a leap this year. Both starting QBs are tiny.

On the other hand, the Mariners might be the worst team in baseball and my basketball team doesn't currently exist.

I don't know, you're not the Astros and you're not the Pirates. It could be worse.

The #1 choice in Texas for Texas players, the Texas A&M Aggies has more.

If you guys try hard enough, you might just reach the Aggie level. I know it's hard being a second tier institution in Texas having to deal with Aggy dominance but you'll pull through.

Yeah well at least Rutgers can sympathize. They're hard at work trying to play themselves off as an ivy league institution while a real ivy league school, Princeton, is next door. Perhaps if Rutgers neighbor was Brown they could pull off the illusion, but alas the contrast in academics and prestige between Rutgers and Princeton is too drastic. Oh well, at least Rutgers wins the enrollment battle in New Jersey, which is arguably more important than the academics and quality of the alumni base.

Just starting to hear some word out of Orlando. UCF appears to be successful in their appeal against the NCAA and will not face a postseason ban in football.

My enthusiasm has just increased exponentially for this season.

cdyhybrid

For some reason the hippies thing seemed to go with the rest of the sentence. Ideally I would have used this in a response to Cyan.

I still prefer real grass.. Lot cooler to play on, looks better, I think it's a little safer to run on, and all those eco-reasons that ChiTown gave.

Not really. I'm a Bulldogs fan, Braves, and Falcons fan so I'm used to having great seasons followed by epic meltdowns in post-season play.

I don't know, you're not the Astros and you're not the Pirates. It could be worse.

Well, I turned on a game last week and we were losing 11-0 to the Astros. So there's that.

andycapps

Well, I turned on a game last week and we were losing 11-0 to the Astros. So there's that.

My sympathies. There are some things a sports fan shouldn't have to endure. Like their team losing 11-0 to the Astros. MLB needs a minimum salary amount, too many owners that don't care about the success of their team and just want to rake in the money. But that's another thread.

TheNatural

My Member!
Don't care if we get our ass kicked in 2014 since Teddy is most likely gone. ACC schedule, plus UK and Notre Dame. Bring on more big games with the last two spots.

Draxal

Don't care if we get our ass kicked in 2014 since Teddy is most likely gone. ACC schedule, plus UK and Notre Dame. Bring on more big games with the last two spots.

Isn't your entire team going to be juniors this year? I remember you guys were pretty young the last two years. Still kinda butthurt that Rutgers couldn't beat the Ville when Teddy was pretty much a cripple as Rutgers pretty much graduated their entire defence this year.

Yeah well at least Rutgers can sympathize. They're hard at work trying to play themselves off as an ivy league institution while a real ivy league school, Princeton, is next door. Perhaps if Rutgers neighbor was Brown they could pull off the illusion, but alas the contrast in academics and prestige between Rutgers and Princeton is too drastic. Oh well, at least Rutgers wins the enrollment battle in New Jersey, which is arguably more important than the academics and quality of the alumni base.

Only our insane faculty actually believe that, none of the students/alumni do, now you can say Rutgers fans have delusions of grandeur in sports which is true.

TheNatural

My Member!
Isn't your entire team going to be juniors this year? I remember you guys were pretty young the last two years. Still kinda butthurt that Rutgers couldn't beat the Ville when Teddy was pretty much a cripple as Rutgers pretty much graduated their entire defence this year.

Only our insane faculty actually believe that, none of the students/alumni do, now you can say Rutgers fans have delusions of grandeur in sports which is true.

There will be a good amount of returnees I'm sure. We just won't have a beast QB most likely.

Sucks we couldn't have the 2014 schedule this coming year.

Extremely rare to have postseason ban overturned. Probably no doubt due to the shenanigans surround the NCAA investigators and their sources of information....

Kind of wish we appealed the whole thing. Oh well BCS is in play - all that matters. Scholarship losses are ultimately inconsequential overall.

The power balance between public and private universities seems to be really uneven in the northeast.

The private schools are amazing and among the most influential institutions in the world. The public schools, by and large, seem to be kind of an afterthought.

(I don't really consider Rutgers in that group. More along the lines of SUNY, UMass, UNH, URI, etc.)

TheNatural

My Member!
MADISON, Wis. -- As early as next week, Big Ten presidents and chancellors will vote on and likely approve a nine-game league schedule starting in 2016, Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez told CBSSports.com.

A 2016 start allows Rutgers and Maryland a two-year transition and Big Ten membership time to plan non-conference scheduling before adding a league game. The chancellors also could vote on divisions, which ESPN.com reports will be a geographic split starting in 2014.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ten-set-to-approve-ninegame-schedule-for-2016

That's it, insulate conferences more from playing meaningful out of conference games. Blah.

TheNatural

My Member!
Extremely rare to have postseason ban overturned. Probably no doubt due to the shenanigans surround the NCAA investigators and their sources of information....

Kind of wish we appealed the whole thing. Oh well BCS is in play - all that matters. Scholarship losses are ultimately inconsequential overall.

We had one overturned in Denny Crum's final years in basketball from NCAA messing up as well.

Not that it mattered much, we got bounced in the tourney in the first round and weren't worth a shit.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
we need to send out the mre signal for the Bombing topic. Topic has moved into the "unlawful searches and how they can effect me" topic.

Rutgers Football > Princeton Football.

Does anything else really matter?

This academic argument is the type of argument that a little brother (like UT in Texas) would make towards their athletically superior Big Brother (Texas A&M).

... the type of argument that a little brother (like UT in Texas) would make towards their athletically superior Big Brother (Texas A&M).

TfoXKGF.png

TheNatural

My Member!
Rutgers Football > Princeton Football.

Does anything else really matter?

This academic argument is the type of argument that a little brother (like UT in Texas) would make towards their athletically superior Big Brother (Texas A&M).

Princeton has like 20 titles though right?

Aww I enjoyed B1G fans disheartedly trying to defend the Legends and Leaders names. Congrats on not having divisions with laughable names...starting in 2014

Lonestar

:lol, B1G finds out it couldn't come up with a way to split OSU and Michigan. East Heavy, will end up playing Nebraska or Wisconsin every year.

Where are these people.

Let's not pretend like they didn't exist. First of all, Jim Delaney and the other guys at the top loved it, and...

This Michigan fan liked it

True Michigan Man 32
I liked Leaders and Legends better.
3 fans like this.
Dave22984
i agree

And this guy

conrad42190
I thought the names leaders and legends was really clever and i liked them.
2 fans like this.

Karakand

In my day the Adams and Norris Divisions competed for the Wales Conference title while the Patrick and Smythe Divisions did battle for Campbell Conference superiority and we damn well liked it.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
How many times did mre sing Rocky Top?

Ohio State and Michigan will probably end up in the B1G title game this year and will get massive ratings and media interest.

And Delany will be like, "Awwwwww, fuck."

ag-my001

They should do what the SEC is doing: keep the "new" permanent rivalry games on hold, let MD and Rut play for a year or two, then set things up once they've approved a 9-game schedule.

The SEC is going to 9-games soon, right?

cashman

Banned
They should do what the SEC is doing: keep the "new" permanent rivalry games on hold, let MD and Rut play for a year or two, then set things up once they've approved a 9-game schedule.

The SEC is going to 9-games soon, right?

They shouldn't and neither should the Big tenfourteen

KingGondo

Banned
I'm excited for OSU's spring game (and season) this year, but the state of the Big 12 is depressing. I think we should be proactive and try to steal FSU, Clemson, Miami, and maybe Louisville to destabilize the ACC.

Don't even know if that's a possibility now. I just know we'll regret being left behind ten years down the road when the other conferences are making huge $$$ from their conference TV deals.

Lonestar

holy shit, an old guy got knocked the fuck out when a player returning an INT, got shoved out of bounds at full speed.

cdyhybrid

Our spring game is on soon! Hour and a half on P12 Net!

I'd watch practice everyday if I could. They do some really entertaining drills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom