• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxal

No Big Ten consideration more because their football program is trash. I think they're the only school in history to be worse off for making a BCS game than not.

But they beat you guys at home last year and you beat Florida in a bowl game.

But yeah, even without the other two things no 16 is the real killer. Only a very few programs would be worth a 15 by themselves, Uconn isn't one of them.

TheNatural

My Member!
But they beat you guys at home last year and you beat Florida in a bowl game.

But yeah, even without the other two things no 16 is the real killer. Only a very few programs would be worth a 15 by themselves, Uconn isn't one of them.

Teddy's broken hand beat us. Their coach is Paul Pasqualoni, that enough should show what their dedication to football is.

KingGondo

Banned
Hey if you ever want the Florida market, UCF and USF are here for you! :)
The number of colossal missteps and fuckups by the Big 12 during this whole realignment thing is truly staggering.

It all started with letting Nebraska get away. Then Colorado leaves, we fail to lock the remaining schools in, and the Oklahoma and Texas schools overestimated their appeal to the Pac-12, which was followed by Aggy and Mizzou bolting. We misjudge the situation and add TCU and WVU, when we should have gone after Louisville and the southern ACC schools. Now the other conferences have grants of rights and we're stuck with potentially adding schools like Cincinnati, Colorado State and New Mexico. And as a cherry on top, we're unable to agree on a conference TV network because Texas has to have their own network to show their mediocre-as-fuck sports on.

Sure the Big 12 will be fine compared to the smaller conferences, but we're in terrible position compared to the B1G, Pac-12, SEC, and ACC.

Draxal

The number of colossal missteps and fuckups by the Big 12 during this whole realignment thing is truly staggering.

It all started with letting Nebraska get away. Then Colorado leaves, we fail to lock the remaining schools in, and the Oklahoma and Texas schools overestimated their appeal to the Pac-12, which was followed by Aggy and Mizzou bolting. We misjudge the situation and add TCU and WVU, when we should have gone after Louisville and the southern ACC schools. Now the other conferences have grants of rights and we're stuck with potentially adding schools like Cincinnati, Colorado State and New Mexico. And as a cherry on top, we're unable to agree on a conference TV network because Texas has to have their own network to show their mediocre-as-fuck sports on.

Sure the Big 12 will be fine compared to the smaller conferences, but we're in terrible position compared to the B1G, Pac-12, SEC, and ACC.

Ya, the conference tiers go like this Sec/Big (Sec in football some other sports/Big in the other moneymaking stuff) - Pac - ACC - Big 12

Get rid of your shit schools like Baylor and your newbies and the Pac will let you come crawlin back.

The MDC can rise again from the ashes!

KingGondo

Banned
Get rid of your shit schools like Baylor and your newbies and the Pac will let you come crawlin back.

The MDC can rise again from the ashes!
The Pac-12 doesn't want us unless Texas is willing to give up LHN, and that won't happen. And it sounds like the Pac-12 presidents are hesitant to add schools that don't have the academic reputation of the schools already in the conference. Texas is the only school that meets that standard out of OSU, OU, Texas and Tech.

It's OK guys, I'll be fine. I'm looking forward to our first conference clashes against Louisiana-Monroe and Texas-San Antonio.

The Pac-12 doesn't want us unless Texas is willing to give up LHN, and that won't happen. And it sounds like the Pac-12 presidents are hesitant to add schools that don't have the academic reputation of the schools already in the conference. Texas is the only school that meets that standard out of OSU, OU, Texas and Tech.

It's OK guys, I'll be fine. I'm looking forward to our first conference clashes against Louisiana-Monroe and Texas-San Antonio.

I know, but don't you figure that as the Pac and other conferences start making more and more money, Texas might give up LHN just to get more money? I dunno how those planets align but it's a nice thought. I forget how much money Texas is making off their shitty network.

KingGondo

Banned
I know, but don't you figure that as the Pac and other conferences start making more and more money, Texas might give up LHN just to get more money? I dunno how those planets align but it's a nice thought. I forget how much money Texas is making off their shitty network.
I think they're making $10-15 million/year, which is insane on ESPN's part.

Our best hope is for LHN to do poorly enough that ESPN forces Texas to give it up, then ESPN can use the existing LHN infrastructure to create a Texas/Oklahoma regional network, kinda like the current Pac-12 regional networks. I'd be cool with joining the Pac-12, although staying in the Big 12 and adding other schools used to be my preference. That's kinda out of the question now.

Sure it's good in a way for OSU because we have a better chance of winning the conference title in football than ever before, but it's mainly because the product is so watered down. At this point I'd trade some of our competitiveness for a truly exciting conference slate and more money.

Pac-12 West: USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Wazzu
Pac-16 East: Zona, ASU, Utah, Colorado, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, OSU

Man, that absolutely wipes the floor with the current Big 12.

Can anyone really leave, though? I thought as part of the Big XII's interim commissioner's plan to keep the conference afloat, everyone signed a GoR agreement.

Draxal

Can anyone really leave, though? I thought as part of the Big XII's interim commissioner's tenure to keep the conference afloat, everyone signed a GoR agreement.

Big Xii's gor's really weird, it fucks the small guys but it leaves a bailout positioin for the Texas/Oklahomas.

Anyway, a GoR won't stand in court I think, but it wouldn't be worth it for the poaching party to do it. It would be a complete judicial nightmare.]

Sombody on Rutgers Rivals mentioned that Rutgers would be in the BIG East .......

jagowar

That comes directly from the top.... I think our admin realized this long ago and we were finally able to get out of that mess. How we were able get out and bolt to the sec with no real political damage (esp given TX politics) is pretty amazing and the payoff has already been huge.

As long as the conference is run by the mantra everybody for themselves instead of for the conference they will always be unstable. Grant of rights and stuff like that is just a band-aid to the underlying problem.

KingGondo

Banned
Can anyone really leave, though? I thought as part of the Big XII's interim commissioner's tenure to keep the conference afloat, everyone signed a GoR agreement.
Yeah, not sure how that would work. It probably does lock us into this shitty conference. The only way (I assume) to avoid the fee would be for the conference itself to dissolve.

Depressing.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Big XII can't be adding riff raff like Colorado State. Their original name was Colorado A&M. You want more Aggie? Even second rate Aggie?

And New Mexico?

To be fair, we were originally Ohio A&M.

We were originally Tech. Could have a Florida version of Tech running around there!

Edit: Regarding expansion I'd rank the conferences something like...

ACC
SEC
Big 10
Pac 12
Big XII

based on recovery, additions in these recent rounds of alignment, etc. Big 12 is already being discussed, SEC is SEC although Mizzou is still a meh add I think. ACC clearly recovered the most and is now in a very stable position for the next decade+. Big 10 did have good adds in Nebraska. But RU and Maryland are meh to bad outside of the increased TV revenue they brought it. Pac-12 with Utah and Colorado? I don't know. I feel like those adds are trending towards bad too. But I don't know.

Draxal

I certainly don't want them. Honestly, the only remaining school out there that has any appeal is BYU.

Cincinnati so Monroeski could unleash his Red Raider rage at Tubberville.

We were originally Tech. Could have a Florida version of Tech running around there!

Edit: Regarding expansion I'd rank the conferences something like...

ACC
SEC
Big 10
Pac 12
Big XII

based on recovery, additions in these recent rounds of alignment, etc. Big 12 is already being discussed, SEC is SEC although Mizzou is still a meh add I think. ACC clearly recovered the most and is now in a very stable position for the next decade+. Big 10 did have good adds in Nebraska. But RU and Maryland are meh to bad outside of the increased TV revenue they brought it. Pac-12 with Utah and Colorado? I don't know. I feel like those adds are trending towards bad too. But I don't know.

Honestly, Utah and Colorado were slam dunks; they fit the culture of the Pac perfectly.

Rutgers/Maryland were also academic fits as well (where Nebraska kinda suck) and for recruits athletically and scholarly.

Honestly, Utah and Colorado were slam dunks; they fit the culture of the Pac perfectly.

Rutgers/Maryland were also academic fits as well (where Nebraska kinda suck) and for recruits athletically and scholarly.

I'm speaking more in the athletics sense.

TheNatural

My Member!

Being horrible in basketball and mostly mediocre in football? :p

cdyhybrid

I'm speaking more in the athletics sense.

Utah was expected to struggle (by everyone else in the conference at least) because going from the MWC to a BCS conference is hard. Colorado has the tradition to do well, they just need to get the right coaches/AD in place. They're already fine in basketball, football is TBD. The new TV money is already justifying their membership, but I think in the long run they'll be fine on the field. We still have Wazzu, the new guys will be fine :p

Draxal

Utah was expected to struggle (by everyone else in the conference at least) because going from the MWC to a BCS conference is hard. Colorado has the tradition to do well, they just need to get the right coaches/AD in place. They're already fine in basketball, football is TBD. The new TV money is already justifying their membership, but I think in the long run they'll be fine on the field. We still have Wazzu, the new guys will be fine :p

Ayup, and the problem of picking up new members that are truly great is that when they win in conference all the time they actually kinda hurt the old teams.

Draxal

Yeah, I fail to see how Colorado and Utah were "slam dunks."

Pac had no options at all for expansion asides Colorado and Utah besides Texas/Oklahoma; and they have much more cultural/academic baggage attached with them.

They are flagship schools in growing states (especially Utah) and have completely expanded their presence in the Rockies.

Sportswise they're in a lull obviously, but once has a history of doing stuff (the Buffs) and Utah could obviously do better in the future.

And they're bigger slam dunks then Rutgers/Maryland, because one could say Mizzou's better then Rutgers and in its footprint.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Yeah, I fail to see how Colorado and Utah were "slam dunks."

Colorado has exponentially increased the number if NCAA Ski Championships for the PAC-12

Jnc

Here's a pic of Johnny Football giving his heisman a blunt on 4/20. Manzeil says it's shopped, but maybe a GAF shop expert can confirm.

c5db55233776324.jpg

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
was going to post that, but since he's saying it was a photoshopped joint, I believe him. I mean, we all believe the Heisman Winners when they say they haven't done anything wrong, right?

ChiTownBuffalo

They were really bad inclusions and it's super embarrassing still.

The only plus was getting 1 fat TV deal out of it, and I doubt that will be self-replicating.
:(

ChiTownBuffalo

k-bigpic.jpg

Then his agent:

Deryk Gilmore @DerykGilmore

To all followers of @DjFluker76 his account has been hacked. We will rue activate his account after the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom