• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Penn State fans are about as close to a personality cult as you'll find in the U.S.

No, let's be honest. There is no difference between the hardcore Penn State fans and the hardcore fans of any school/team in the country. They are all personality cults.

One only needs to look at Rutgers, and at the hardcore fans defending Rice's behavior.

Draxal

No, let's be honest. There is no difference between the hardcore Penn State fans and the hardcore fans of any school/team in the country. They are all personality cults.

One only needs to look at Rutgers, and at the hardcore fans defending Rice's behavior.

I'll agree with the first part, but there's like only or two people defending Rice. The majority of the just internet mad at Pernetti getting thrown under the bus. Although I will say PSU is a bit more ... remote/isolated than Rutgers/NB; you saw the massive riots in the NB campus when this went down.

KingGondo

Banned

Penn State is different from all but the most hardcore schools mainly because of the cult of personality built around JoePa. He was bigger than the program, and he was by far the most visible member of the university community.

He had taken on the status of a religious figure in State College by the end of his career, which is why I think some of the fans have such a hard time believing he was capable of what he did.

I'll agree with the first part, but there's like only or two people defending Rice. The majority of the just internet mad at Pernetti getting thrown under the bus. Although I will say PSU is a bit more ... remote/isolated than Rutgers/NB; you saw the massive riots in the NB campus when this went down.

Fair enough. Though I feel it's more than one or two posters who support Rice.

Anyway - my favorite part of the "New Brunswick riot" (now that was just one or two or ZERO people) was that one kid who threw a water balloon at the ESPN reporter. That was hilarious.

Penn State is different from all but the most hardcore schools mainly because of the cult of personality built around JoePa. He was bigger than the program, and he was by far the most visible member of the university community.

He had taken on the status of a religious figure in State College by the end of his career, which is why I think some of the fans have such a hard time believing he was capable of what he did.

I would argue that other colleges would react the same way if an icon of their programs got caught like Paterno did.

It's just that none of their icons would permit the behavior that Paterno permitted.

KingGondo

Banned
I would argue that other colleges would react the same way if an icon of their programs got caught like Paterno did.

It's just that none of their icons would permit the behavior that Paterno permitted.
You can't compare PSU to other situations just because JoePa's status was unparalleled in college athletics. I'm only slightly exaggerating when I say he was a godlike figure in State College. Maybe "saintlike" is more appropriate.

There are always gonna be the hardest of the hardcore fans who are unable to accept that their idol might be a terrible person... What's shocking about that message board thread is how consistent the sentiment is that Paterno's just a scapegoat.

Draxal

Fair enough. Though I feel it's more than one or two posters who support Rice.

Anyway - my favorite part of the "New Brunswick riot" (now that was just one or two or ZERO people) was that one kid who threw a water balloon at the ESPN reporter. That was hilarious.

I just love the comparison between Rutgers and PSU, and how Espn said it was exactly the same.

1. PSU fans are passionate, Rutgers fans for the most part don't give a shit.
2. PSU's football program had a history of being one of the best in the country, Rutgers bball progam had a histroy of being on of the worst in the county.
3. PSU had a legend whose reputation got destroyed in this, Rutgers doesn't have a legend in its history (I guess Robeson would be the closest).

I mean come on.

thefro

:lol, B1G finds out it couldn't come up with a way to split OSU and Michigan. East Heavy, will end up playing Nebraska or Wisconsin every year.

Excited to see Indiana in the new B1G East. We are going to play Purdue every year as one of the West teams which is good.

The theory is our recruiting should improve being in the stronger division with the better recruiting base.

You can't compare PSU to other situations just because JoePa's status was unparalleled in college athletics. I'm only slightly exaggerating when I say he was a godlike figure in State College. Maybe "saintlike" is more appropriate.

There are always gonna be the hardest of the hardcore fans who are unable to accept that their idol might be a terrible person... What's shocking about that message board thread is how consistent the sentiment is that Paterno's just a scapegoat.

Everyone at BWI is the hardest of the hardcore.

TheNatural

My Member!

People on message boards are nutjobs. That's Rule #1 you should learn. This is a little less so because it's technically not a sports board, but go see the most populated Rivals/Scout/247 or whatever boards for that particular program, and there's a lot of people that go nuts.

I remember the NCAA President was getting death threats years ago when the NCAA ruled a UK basketball recruit ineligible. Some nutjob Bama fan killed some trees, just because. Hell one of our elected officials was a state basketball 'legend' and is being indicted for using government funds to buy whatever he wanted for himself, because all he ever knew was people out in rural Kentucky kissing his ass and doing whatever he wanted for years.

The only thing that may be different is the tenure in Penn Sate, not the breed of fans.

The only thing that may be different is the tenure in Penn Sate, not the breed of fans.

No, it's far more than that.

It's the remote, insular environment of the university, and the enormous impact Paterno had not just on the football program but on the entire institution. It's no understatement to say that Joe Paterno played a huge role in building Penn State University's notoriety, and by proxy, its strength and academic reputation.

That's what separates Joe Paterno from the likes of Bobby Bowden and Mike Krzyzewski, and what makes their fans fundamentally different than anyone else.

TheNatural

My Member!
No, it's far more than that.

It's the remote, insular environment of the university, and the enormous impact Paterno had not just on the football program but on the entire institution. That's what separates Joe Paterno from the likes of Bobby Bowden and Mike Krzyzewski.

After all that has transpired, I find it hard to believe that anyone would claim that Penn State is just like everyone else.

Paterno IS Penn Sate, that's the difference.

Every other program has several icons over their school's history. We have two 600+ winning basketball coaches with national titles in basketball. In football, we have three different BCS bowl winning coaches. And as the biggest conference hopping and facility building school around, our athletic director is possibly more revered than them all.

It could only be compared by the amount of time, not the person. It's not possibly to compare, maybe if some pedo booster was around all athletic departments with kids for 40-50 years and several coaches.

Taking away Paterno takes away Penn Sate's identity. Doing the same for anyone else would encompass four, five, or six people. That's the difference. I guarantee if some scandal encompassing them all hit any school, there would be just as many rationalizing and making excuses.

Blatantly stealing this from Reddit's college football sub, but I thought it was really fun. Take this chart, and using an image editor's paint bucket tool, correct the chart for each school based on how much you love/hate them. 10 = max love, 0 = pure hate, and 5 = total apathy.

Here's the original (yes I know Boise is on there twice, you can have different levels of hate/love depending on their conference)

Ixws3Tl.png

And here's my entry

m2nBNmG.png

Specific commentary on some ratings

Auburn & Tenn - Have some friends that went to these schools
Kentucky - STOOPS!
SCAR - SPURRIER!
UGA - The enemy of my enemy is my friend, but only so much.
Ohio State - MEYER!
L'Ville - They smacked UF in the Sugar Bowl, so they get some respect.
Rutgers - I'm from NJ

Most of the ACC - Man am I really apathetic about my school's conference. I mostly don't care about any of these schools, excluding my blinding hate for Clemson and UM, and my ever so slightly less blinding hate of NC State.

Comedy edits are encouraged.

Jim Delaney on the name possibilities of the new college football playoff:

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS 52s
B1G commish Jim delany on new Playoff name: "I'll be happy w whatever. Obviously I'm not great with names."

New name of this playoff for college football is:

College Football Playoff

Amazing top 25 retrospective on the current(past?) era of realignment. Some gems in there.

SB Nation

College Football Site is up too. Fans will be choosing the logo for the playoffs. I don't know if this is a permanent logo or if they are going Superbowl/Final Four style with a new logo every year.

College Football Playoff Logo Vote

Choice #3 is clearly superior.

Will the goofy ass bowls finally be pushed back before New Years I hope? Or will we have the national semifinals, then the next day have the Little Caesars bowl?

No clue. Seems there are two weeks roughly between the national semis and final. So, I'm sure some rinky dink bowl will try to put on one in between that time or something.

And goddamn if that fuckin compass logo wins.... nobody show this to 4chan. On the other hand....

Funny how the Holiday Bowl was the only applicant to get a rejection letter from hosting the playoffs. I guess its relative near proximity to the Rose Bowl was its downfall. Also, logo 1 looks too similar to the NFL logo for my liking. Maybe they are getting ahead of themselves considering we'll be paying CFB players down the road....oh wait, we already do!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Funny how the Holiday Bowl was the only applicant to get a rejection letter from hosting the playoffs. I guess being the Holiday Bowl was its downfall. Also, logo 1 looks too similar to the NFL logo for my liking. Maybe they are getting ahead of themselves considering we'll be paying CFB players down the road....oh wait, we already do!

Fixed for you.

All the logos suck, but #4 is easily the worst among them. Which, of course, means it is winning. I voted for #1 since it has the most appealing overall design to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom