• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxal

I voted 2.

Apparently, there's a growing chance that Rutgers AD might get reinstated.

Which isn't the first time this has happened, has it has happened in UVA.

Do we have any Cavalier fans here who remember what happened then?

impirius

All I can see in Logo #2:

ppn23q1q.png

1 is too much like the NFL logo, 2 looks... weird. I'd have voted for it if the football was placed horizontally. 3 is the best of the bunch - although that silver plate where the playoff text is does look a little too close to the NFL playoff logos. 4 should have never left the design team.

Fitting that 4 looks to be the big winner as people have to just be trolling that shit design.

Letting people vote on logos is the dumbest fucking idea because most people have no clue what makes a good logo.

At my company, we're in the process of choosing a new logo and it's the most frustrating thing ever. You could slap a gradient on a graphic of a turd and people would go nuts over it.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I voted 2.

Apparently, there's a growing chance that Rutgers AD might get reinstated.

Which isn't the first time this has happened, has it has happened in UVA.

Do we have any Cavalier fans here who remember what happened then?

:jnc

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Some sort of conference call with SEC Head Coaches. I imagine its on various topics, but mostly on conference schedules and the upcoming playoff.

Listen here

Some choice quotes so far (Think Miles, Spurrier, and Muschamp have gone so far)

Les:

"I wonder if there should be no permanent (scheduling) partners (in the SEC)." Suggests a random computer draw as a possibility.

Will Muschamp:
"We are not in favor of 9 conference games because of our in-state rival, Florida State."

on CFP name: "I think the name sounds pretty good. It's a playoff and it's college football."

Good Jerb, Will.

Lonestar

Lets decide on the worst looking logo, and see if we can manage to make our own mark on the College Football Landscape!

Oh, there's only 20 of us...

But seems like America had the same idea, and #4 has a solid lead. Compass Football Playoffs!

andycapps

#1 or #3 have my votes. #4 is the worst. For some reason it reminds me of a soccer team's logo.

Lonestar said:
Good Jerb, Will.

For some reason, I think we (meaning someone else other than me) should do a mashup of Wull Smuth with Will Muschamp. But with this photo.

andycapps

OSU students always show up on time, even for noon games against shit opponents.

It's pretty embarrassing that Michigan and Wisconsin can't manage the same.

I was more making a comment about the tendencies of midwestern football fans to be fat and wear jerseys of their teams.

UGA has had problems with some students not showing up for certain games. They took a couple thousand of those tickets and gave them to new alumni this year because they really want to attend whatever games they can, and I think they reprioritized some of the tickets and instituted penalties if people don't actually use their tickets. Basically penalizing them for future games if they don't show up or transfer their ticket to another student.

Random discussion topic of the day:

It seems like there are a LOT of traditional rivalries in the SEC, or rather, for teams IN the SEC. For example, Florida has Georgia, Tennessee, FSU, and Miami to a lesser degree since they don't play often. Is there a hierarchy for who to hate most? How do you ration out your hate?

We have one and a half (in football) and that's about all the hate I can muster.

There are. I can't speak to all, but I can speak to mine. There are definitely levels of hatred, because I hate everyone in the conference except for my team. My level of hatred goes something like this (with 1 being hated most):

1. Florida - I hate them with the passion of a thousand suns
2. Auburn - Pretty much tied with Florida. The rivalry with them is a bit longer and UGA dominated UF for much of history, but Spurrier made them a power to be reckoned with. Auburn is our traditional rival, and they are a school that there are a lot of close ties to UGA. Probably started in modern era with Pat Dye, who was a former player at UGA, who then went to Auburn and had a *good career marked by high wins and LOIC by the NCAA with the Eric Ramsey stuff. They've been no stranger to visits from the NCAA over the years.
3. Georgia Tech - I hate them probably as much as Florida and Auburn, but they're not on the same level of competition. It's hard to hate your little brother that you can beat up with one hand while you're chugging a cold one in the other.
4. Tennessee - Fulmer and that hideous orange
5. South Carolina - Spurrier has made this into a rivalry.
6. Everybody else in the conference. I still hate them, the hatred is just not as severe as the above.

cdyhybrid

It seems like there are a LOT of traditional rivalries in the SEC, or rather, for teams IN the SEC. For example, Florida has Georgia, Tennessee, FSU, and Miami to a lesser degree since they don't play often. Is there a hierarchy for who to hate most? How do you ration out your hate?

We have one and a half (in football) and that's about all the hate I can muster.

TheNatural

My Member!

Hate em all. In state is first, then whoever's the best among the other rivals.

impirius

You hate everyone as much as humanly possible, then you hate your in-state rival even more

andycapps

You hate everyone as much as humanly possible, then you hate your in-state rival even more

Sometimes I wish Tech was a little better than they are, because I can remember how awesome the hatred was when they were competition. But then I remember beating them 42-10 last year and I'm okay with that.

Enfinit

As an FSU fan, there's only two real teams that deliver hate:

1. Florida - traditional in-state rivalry. Jorts wearing, Gatorade drinking, self-entitled slums that crawl out of the muck of the swamp to proclaim the word of Tim Tebow to the world.

2. Miami - Our only real conference rival, seeing that the ACC is garbage for competition. The rivalry technically has more weight because there's conference implications, however nothing compares to Florida.

3. Jordan Lynch - "...we'll have them on their knees..."

I actually love Florida, just not when we play them.

andycapps

As an FSU fan, there's only two real teams that deliver hate:

1. Florida - traditional in-state rivalry. Jorts wearing, Gatorade drinking, self-entitled slums that crawl out of the muck of the swamp to proclaim the word of Tim Tebow to the world.

2. Miami - Our only real conference rival, seeing that the ACC is garbage for competition. The rivalry technically has more weight because there's conference implications, however nothing compares to Florida.

3. Jordan Lynch - "...we'll have them on their knees..."

I actually love Florida, just not when we play them.

How can you be an FSU fan and like Florida? This does not compute.

Enfinit

How can you be an FSU fan and like Florida? This does not compute.

You know, I'm not sure either. Probably because my girl goes there and I'm back and forth between Gainesville and Tallahassee all the time. I spend a lot of time on their campus and have had the opportunity to learn their values and traditions as a university. There campus is beautiful, and I've got friends and whatnot there, blah blah blah. The major reason I chose FSU over UF was primarily finances (UF's super stingy about offering scholarships).

When it comes to athletics, the Gators can burn in hell when they play FSU. But outside of that, I tend to root for them. Not sure why, especially since my secondary team is South Carolina.

1 is too much like the NFL logo, 2 looks... weird. I'd have voted for it if the football was placed horizontally. 3 is the best of the bunch - although that silver plate where the playoff text is does look a little too close to the NFL playoff logos. 4 should have never left the design team.

Fitting that 4 looks to be the big winner as people have to just be trolling that shit design.

I voted for 4 because:

- No gradients
- Looks like a Blood Bowl Team Manager logo
- Lulz
- I think 2 is terrible and maybe the worst of the bunch. I think that just the image, without the text, most people wouldn't know what it is, even some football fans.

Today I voted for 1 because America.

TheNatural

My Member!
Horse hockey. I want to burn and salt Knoxville. Auburn can just burn and then have a slow, painful recovery.

You asked for a miracle? Ladies and gentlemen I give you Derek Dooley.

Pretty safe to say Knoxville is salted with the past 5 years having four 7 loss seasons and one 6 loss season. And their savior is ... Butch Jones.

mre

But if Tennessee hadn't thrown you under the NCAA bus, would you still hate them more than Auburn?
Hard to say. Before Auburn put up 6 in a row on us, Tennessee won 8 or 9. Lost to them every single year I was an undergrad at Bama. Plus, their orange is a much more offensive shade of orange than Auburns.
You asked for a miracle? Ladies and gentlemen I give you Derek Dooley.

Pretty safe to say Knoxville is salted with the past 5 years having four 7 loss seasons and one 6 loss season. And their savior is ... Butch Jones.
That's not salted. That's just burnt. I saw pictures of Tennessee fans enjoying their spring game because they have hope. As long as they have hope, their football program hasn't been salted.

TheNatural

My Member!
Hard to say. Before Auburn put up 6 in a row on us, Tennessee won 8 or 9. Lost to them every single year I was an undergrad at Bama. Plus, their orange is a much more offensive shade of orange than Auburns.

That's not salted. That's just burnt. I saw pictures of Tennessee fans enjoying their spring game because they have hope. As long as they have hope, their football program hasn't been salted.

Does being worse than Vandy in your own state count?

andycapps

You've been playing Tennessee much longer than Auburn, that's for sure. And their orange is the most offensive in the country. Plus, Rocky Top.

Doesn't Bama's fight song mention Georgia Tech by name? I know there was a big rivalry with them a long time ago. Mentions UGA as well, unless you're talking about the Bizarro Bulldogs.

Are any Tennessee fans actually hopeful that Butch Jones was the man they were looking for?

mre

You've been playing Tennessee much longer than Auburn, that's for sure. And their orange is the most offensive in the country. Plus, Rocky Top.

Doesn't Bama's fight song mention Georgia Tech by name? I know there was a big rivalry with them a long time ago. Mentions UGA as well, unless you're talking about the Bizarro Bulldogs.

Are any Tennessee fans actually hopeful that Butch Jones was the man they were looking for?
Yep: ". . . Go teach the Bulldogs to behave and send the Yellowjackets to a watery grave . . . "

Funny how the Holiday Bowl was the only applicant to get a rejection letter from hosting the playoffs. I guess its relative near proximity to the Rose Bowl was its downfall. Also, logo 1 looks too similar to the NFL logo for my liking. Maybe they are getting ahead of themselves considering we'll be paying CFB players down the road....oh wait, we already do!

Qualcomm Stadium is a shithole that can barely handle Chargers games anymore. I can't believe they even tried to get in.

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 39m
Austin, TX, IP address hacked into College Football Playoff logo contest, voted 50K times for Logo 4

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 37m
All 50K votes eliminated in College Football Playoff logo, so No. 3 now winning. Logo 4 drops from 52% to 9%

Lonestar

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 39m
Austin, TX, IP address hacked into College Football Playoff logo contest, voted 50K times for Logo 4

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 37m
All 50K votes eliminated in College Football Playoff logo, so No. 3 now winning. Logo 4 drops from 52% to 9%

NOoooooooooooo_Picard.gif

TheNatural

My Member!
So the bowl rotation is set. The BCS bowls plus Cotton and Chick-fil-A.

And they may make them change the Chick-fil-A bowl name not allowing a sponsor's name. I really hope so, first off because I hate corporate bowl names, and second especially because it's named after a bunch of discriminatory homophobic piece of shit individuals' company.

Hopefully it returns to it's original Peach Bowl name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom