• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Agreed, also Jordan had some injury problems and has a torn labrum currently. If I was taking a defensive end that early in the draft and he was still on the board, I'd take Mingo over him any day. Mingo was going against future NFL linemen all the time during his time at LSU, can't say the same for Jordan. Plus, Mingo put up the same stats as Jordan, except Mingo did it in only 3 years (and against much better competition).

I think the BYU guy is going to be good in the NFL though.

ahh, torn labrum huh, must be SERIOUS INJURY CONCERNS/inane Dee Milliner criticism

I've never been big on Mingo, either. He was ok, but I always seem to see Sam Montgomery do more against Alabama, than Mingo (possible that Fluker kept Mingo out of the games)

I have questions on the top 2 Tackles chosen as well. The CMU guy could be fine, but still, did he ever see constant NFL-type DE's in the MAC?

Joeckel should be good, and I think he was good the previous years before Manziel, but I question any of the OLineman from last years A&M team. Some strange blocking schemes come out when your offense is built around a QB who runs around like a chicken with it's head cut off.

andycapps

ahh, torn labrum huh, must be SERIOUS INJURY CONCERNS/inane Dee Milliner criticism

I've never been big on Mingo, either. He was ok, but I always seem to see Sam Montgomery do more against Alabama, than Mingo (possible that Fluker kept Mingo out of the games)

I have questions on the top 2 Tackles chosen as well. The CMU guy could be fine, but still, did he ever see constant NFL-type DE's in the MAC?

Joeckel should be good, and I think he was good the previous years before Manziel, but I question any of the OLineman from last years A&M team. Some strange blocking schemes come out when your offense is built around a QB who runs around like a chicken with it's head cut off.

You can't argue against Mingo's stats though. And let's be fair, Bama's offensive line is filled with a bunch of monsters. For him to be less effective against them while Montgomery had a better game could just mean that they gameplanned around stopping Mingo. Bama did that to Jarvis Jones and it worked very well.

Jordan had more injuries in the past than that, but that's obviously the biggest one right now. I just don't think he's strong enough to handle the blocks from offensive tackles he's going to get.

I agree on the CMU guy.. Obviously not good competition in the MAC, but offensive line guys seem to be a little easier to predict than other positions on the board. Agreed on the guy from A&M, it's easy to look like a great line when your QB is constantly making plays by himself behind the line as he's avoiding a blitz that got through.

KingGondo

Banned
The dates on these series have gone to the absurd.

Just doing it in my head, the freshman for that game in Boise are right now finishing 4th grade.
That's just how it works. I think it also helps facilitate matchups, since neither program can reliably gauge how good the other will be when they meet.

TheNatural

My Member!
That's just how it works. I think it also helps facilitate matchups, since neither program can reliably gauge how good the other will be when they meet.

It's still ridiculous and I wish it wouldn't work this way. I wish teams would schedule about 3 years out at longest and not worry about who to put on the schedule a whopping 8 years down the line. Boise could be 2-10 then for all anyone knows.

KingGondo

Banned
It's still ridiculous and I wish it wouldn't work this way. I wish teams would schedule about 3 years out at longest and not worry about who to put on the schedule a whopping 8 years down the line. Boise could be 2-10 then for all anyone knows.
Exactly. And we'll be able to claim credit for scheduling them anyways since they were good 5 years before. :D

"Our coach and AD have balls! Not our fault Boise didn't hold up their end of the bargain."

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Man, I thought it was just a really slow offseason since I never saw the offseason thread. Come to find out it got moved to community? Nooooo!

It was Cyan's fault. He put us to a vote and we voted overwhelmingly to stay in the OT proper.

He then flipped the bird at us and moved us anyway.

Exactly. And we'll be able to claim credit for scheduling them anyways since they were good 5 years before. :D

"Our coach and AD have balls! Not our fault Boise didn't hold up their end of the bargain."

This doesnt work, see our games vs Cal this past season and this season.

Daaaaaaaamn.
I took another look at the 2013 schedule this week, and I'm not feeling very optimistic about the season. Your thoughts?
Aug. 31 Northwestern
Sept. 7 Portland State
Sept. 14 Ohio State
Sept. 21 Bye Week
Sept. 28 at Oregon
Oct. 5 Washington State
Oct. 12 at UCLA
Oct. 19 Oregon State
Oct. 26 at Washington
Nov. 2 Arizona
Nov. 9 USC
Nov. 16 at Colorado
Nov. 23 at Stanford
Nov. 30 Bye Week

I took another look at the 2013 schedule this week, and I'm not feeling very optimistic about the season. Your thoughts?

Aug. 31 Northwestern W
Sept. 7 Portland State W
Sept. 14 Ohio State L
Sept. 21 Bye Week L
Sept. 28 at Oregon L
Oct. 5 Washington State W
Oct. 12 at UCLA L
Oct. 19 Oregon State L
Oct. 26 at Washington L
Nov. 2 Arizona L
Nov. 9 USC L
Nov. 16 at Colorado W
Nov. 23 at Stanford L
Nov. 30 Bye Week W

They split the season series vs. bye week, but take those out and they'll finish 4-8

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Aug. 31 Northwestern W
Sept. 7 Portland State W
Sept. 14 Ohio State L
Sept. 21 Bye Week L
Sept. 28 at Oregon L
Oct. 5 Washington State W
Oct. 12 at UCLA L
Oct. 19 Oregon State L
Oct. 26 at Washington L
Nov. 2 Arizona L
Nov. 9 USC L
Nov. 16 at Colorado W
Nov. 23 at Stanford L
Nov. 30 Bye Week W

They split the season series vs. bye week, but take those out and they'll finish 4-8

You're forgetting the unexpected first-half win that gives Cal unreasonable hope that they'll finish the season strong.

I'm thinking they beat UCLA, or maybe even Ohio State since it's at home, it's so early and maybe Ohio State underestimates them.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
How does the Big East/AAC get more teams incoming this season but still has 3 bye weeks. Never seen anything like that.

So teams with star inside linebackers can visit their girlfriends.

ChiTownBuffalo

I can't not see Polynesian Tebow when I see him on TV.

Huh, I did not notice Colorado has 2 bye weeks as well.

But...Entitled Hippie Cashed Bowl is back! In Boulder!

ChiTownBuffalo

Tebow could tackle Eddie Lacy. This is heresy.

So, the Bears should trade for Tebow to fill their linebacker slot? People here seems to want T'eo.

They split the season series vs. bye week
Yes, Bye Week is traditionally a thorn in Cal's side.

You're forgetting the unexpected first-half win that gives Cal unreasonable hope that they'll finish the season strong.
Maybe Northwestern for the false glimmer of hope before things get ugly.

Cornballer, I'm gonna go with:
Aug. 31 Northwestern - L
Sept. 7 Portland State - W
Sept. 14 Ohio State - L
Sept. 28 at Oregon - L
Oct. 5 Washington State - L
Oct. 12 at UCLA - L
Oct. 19 Oregon State - L
Oct. 26 at Washington - L
Nov. 2 Arizona - L
Nov. 9 USC - L
Nov. 16 at Colorado - W
Nov. 23 at Stanford - W
That sounds about right aside from maybe where the wins come from. It'll be tough to scrounge together more than three wins with a new system, new quarterback, and the rough schedule. I'll probably be more optimistic before the season starts - hope springs eternal and all that.

andycapps

UGA picked up a commitment today from 5 star RB Sony Michel out of FL. They're still pursuing Nick Chubb (should have been an OL), and it's not over until he's signed, but he looks to be similar in playing style to Keith Marshall. If they get Chubb as well, he'd be the Gurley in 2014 for us if you wanted to draw Thunder and Lightning comparisons.

They better keep the heat on this kid because everybody is after him and it's a long time until signing day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom