• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College football player loses scholarship over his YouTube channel

Exile20

The NCAA saw his videos as a direct violation to its rule that prohibits student athletes from using their status to earn money. UCF's athletics department negotiated with the association, since De La Haye sends the money he earns from YouTube to his family in Costa Rica. The association gave him two choices: he can keep the account monetized, but he has to stop referencing his status as a student athlete and move the videos wherein he does. Or, he has to stop monetizing his account altogether. Since De La Haye chose not to accept either option, he has been declared inelegible to play in any NCAA-sanctioned competition, effectively ending his college football career.

The NCAA has defended its decision in a statement, stating that De La Haye "could have continued playing football for the university and earn money from non-athletic YouTube videos" based on the deal it cut with UCF. It sounds like De La Haye firmly stands by his decision, though. Despite initially showing his dismay on Twitter and YouTube, he criticized the NCAA and advised his followers to "always stand up for what [they] believe in." He also told Sports Illustrated last month that he feels "like it's about time for things to be changed," since the associated created its rules before the time of social media and video platforms.

https://youtu.be/Fh69-X6X55w

https://www.engadget.com/2017/07/31/college-football-player-loses-scholarship-youtube/

I know big corporation controlling people etc. They are bullies and all that but this is your education. He could have still make videos but not monetize it.

It is good to have principals and able to stand up for something you truly believe in but I would have just not monetize and get scholarship money. You can still build fans and do what you want.

Now he wants donations for college:
WDd9sBw.png

What would you have done?

It's a job when every other streamer and youtube star does this.

But a college football player does it and suddenly the NCAA got issues.

Nah, only reason he got shut down is because the NCAA doesn't get a cut, that's it. Fuck that, stand up for your rights, the NCAA cant forbid you from having a damn job.

kunonabi

https://youtu.be/Fh69-X6X55w

https://www.engadget.com/2017/07/31/college-football-player-loses-scholarship-youtube/

I know big corporation controlling people etc. They are bullies and all that but this is your education. He could have still make videos but not monetize it.

It is good to have principals and able to stand up for something you truly believe in but I would have just not monetize and get scholarship money. You can still build fans and do what you want.

Now he wants donations for college:

What would you have done?

I'd have stopped referencing my status as a player and gone on with my studies and football.

UCF fan here. NCAA is trash as usual. I think the best way to address the compensation issue is to allow athletes to license themselves.

Keeps the school out of a payroll situation, and allows athletes that people care about to rightfully earn extra money like any other student.

Here you have a marketing major that can't market themselves without ridiculous restrictions.

Edit: If he looked at the revenues and saw he was making more than his scholarship and stipend, then it makes more immediate practical sense to do the videos.

If not, then maybe you compromise, play, and fight. But from what I have seen, he just started a GoFundMe, which indicates the revenue isn't there.

Barzul

Yeah I would've made the videos with no football player status references. He gave up a free ride for what principles? Doesn't mean shit if it puts you in the position he now is in. Is the NCAA a backwards ass organization when it comes to player rights? Yes. But he was never going to win this battle, sometimes it pays to be strategic vs being blindly principled.

Can't make money off his abilities
Can't get paid as an athlete (but the school and NCAA itself make millions)
Don't really have time for a job as a college athlete

Amazing.

Shit sucks, dude is trying to help his family and he's not even allowed to do that.

This is my alma mater too heh

Yea, I would have taken the compromise. Stupid move on his part, even though I think this is wrong. Scholarship money is way more and the connections/chances you gain are more valuable.

LQX

.. he can keep the account monetized, but he has to stop referencing his status as a student athlete and move the videos wherein he does.

Ridiculous, but that seemed more than fair.

They told him that he had to stop referencing himself as a player and remove the ones that did. He said no like he had some leverage, he brought this on himself

Rival

Gold Member
The NCAA needs to go away. We can't get ours so you can't get yours is essentially their motto.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Shit sucks, dude is trying to help his family and he's not even allowed to do that.

I think he's allowed to do so, it's just that he's not allowed to reference himself as a football player in his YouTube videos. Like, it's not even a hard thing to do, I think?

I personally think it's rather short-sighted for him to destroy his scholarship over something like that. Just stupid.

milhouse74

Neo Member
He knows the rules. He bent the rules. He was given fair options. Decides to say "f you" to the school. Yeah I feel for him.

The NCAA isn't perfect, far from it. But this kid had options. He could have easily had a free education and now he's asking for money from the average Joe to pay for his bending of the rules. Think how many kids would trade anything to have the options he had for a college education.

watershed

Banned
Option 1 seemed very reasonable. Why did he not pick option 1? Was the entire premise behind his youtube channel about his life as a student athlete?

LionPride

Banned
I remember last month this came up, he lost the ship huh?

Fuck the NCAA

Like shit like this isn't that deep

Dude did break the rules and when given an ultimatum forgot he don't mean shit to the Multi-billion dollar corporation

Option 1 seemed very reasonable. Why did he not pick option 1? Was the entire premise behind his youtube channel about his life as a student athlete?

Looking at his Youtube channel linked in the OP, it does seem like his being a college football player was a core part of the channel. Pretty much all his videos are about football, often referencing his being a Division 1 athlete. So he would have needed to adjust his approach to continue his channel.

That said, even though I'm not a big fan of the way NCAA treats student athletes, I'm not sure this was the right move for the guy to take.

Volimar

I wonder if they'll have time to give another kidthe scholarship.

Also, off topic but this ad makes the con look worth going to.

WW_CC_COL_300X250.jpg

Lord Fagan

It's a job when every other streamer and youtube star does this.

But a college football player does it and suddenly the NCAA got issues.

Nah, only reason he got shut down is because the NCAA doesn't get a cut, that's it. Fuck that, stand up for your rights, the NCAA cant forbid you from having a damn job.

I dunno, man. That kind of hypocrisy just doesn't conform to the narrative college football wants me to accept...

He could still make videos and monetize, he just couldn't use his position on the team to monetize.

People taking this position have no clue how much work a Youtube channel is.

NCAA is a billion dollar racket and it's a shame people still stand behind it while athletes in the major sports get screwed over.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
How dare these entitled kids try to feed their families.

jfkgoblue

NCAA is a billion dollar racket and it's a shame people still stand behind it while athletes in the major sports get screwed over.

The NCAA, right or wrong, works very hard to maintain its amateur status, using your position on the team to make cash, no matter how much other work goes into the channel, is against this desired goal.

I'm not arguing about whether the NCAA should stop enforcing amateurism, only saying that he was given a choice based on current standards expected of all NCAA athletes.

I would have taken compromise. Finish school, do full time job or shot at pro and move on. Unless you have a plan B and he knew donations and youtube money can cover tuition after winning the moral argument, he knew what the outcome was going to be.

The NCAA, right or wrong, works very hard to maintain its amateur status, using your position on the team to make cash, no matter how much other work goes into the channel, is against this desired goal.
lmfao.

The NCAA makes billions off these kids. Calling them an amateur organisation is laughable.

Exile20

Well if he thinks doing Youtube is hard. No college education?

He has no plan B or leverage. Unfortunately you have to pick your fights. NCAA makes stupid money off these kids and it is sad still.

linkboy

I'm not arguing about whether the NCAA should stop enforcing amateurism, only saying that he was given a choice based on current standards expected of all NCAA athletes.

The only reason the NCAA keeps athletes as amateurs is so that the NCAA can exploit said athletes for profit.

platocplx

These rules are stupid and these athletes should be able to make money off of their name.

Honestly would be great if all star student-athletes during championships bowls and basketball refused to play until rules changed. But it will never happen until someone creates leagues for these guys to play vs these schools.

Most people who side with the NCAA I can tell they haven't done any D1 or D2 sports and see how much shit we go through & give up.
The only reason the NCAA keeps athletes as amateurs is so that the NCAA can exploit said athletes for profit.
YUP. Kids Old enough to go and die for this country but can't make a cent because they are "amateurs"

jfkgoblue

lmfao.

The NCAA makes billions off these kids. Calling them an amateur organisation is laughable.

The NCAA itself makes very little from CFB. It's the schools that make the money, and only 20 or so schools do that. All of a school like UCF's football profits goes to funding the other negative revenue sports.

Unfortunately there isn't really a good way to pay players without the NCAA just becoming an NFL minor league. (and before someone says it, it absolutely is not right now)

Not to mention how title IX makes it pretty much impossible to implement properly.

platocplx

The NCAA itself makes very little from CFB. It's the schools that make the money, and only 20 or so schools do that. All of a school like UCF's football profits goes to funding the other negative revenue sports.

Unfortunately there isn't really a good way to pay players without the NCAA just becoming an NFL minor league. (and before someone says it, it absolutely is not right now)

Not to mention how title IX makes it pretty much impossible to implement properly.
They don't even HAVE to play players. They could fucking just let them get endorsements and crap off their names and share sales of jerseys with their name and allow them to get paid for the likeness in sports games. It's like wtf.

kunonabi

What kind of a fucked up situation has the NCAA created where your advice is "don't talk about what you do"?

I mean does it really matter though? People have google so they can figure out what school somebody plays for with little effort.

The situation sucks but thumbing your nose at the rules and having to beg for money to finish getting an education doesnt seem like a smart way to fix anything.

hbkdx12

Maybe it makes him a better person than me and I understand the NCAA is evil and all that but I'll be damned if in going to jeopardize my (financial) future and that of my family over some YouTube videos.

JABEE

But he is a "student-athlete." The compromise only goes to show the NCAA doesn't care about the video if it is promoting their brand. They don't like it when someone else gets their beak wet using an association with the sports team they work for.

Would a journalism student lose scholarships for referencing that they were a college student on their own personal YouTube channel? No. This is all about protecting NCAA's right to own their captured subjects and control their earning potential.

They wish to feast on the dreams and broken bodies of young boys who will never make any money off the sport they love to play.

jfkgoblue

They don't even HAVE to play players. They could fucking just let them get endorsements and crap off their names and share sales of jerseys with their name and allow them to get paid for the likeness in sports games. It's like wtf.

Yeah, like I said, I am not going to argue about whether it is right or wrong, but according to the rules, he did have some choices.

Not a big sports guy but I remember doing a discussion question in one of my online classes about how shitty the NCAA can be

Double fuck the NCAA.....

JABEE

Ridiculous, but that seemed more than fair.

How is this fair? These restrictions are only in place for their professional football players earning zero money for their labor.

Are Marketing, Journalism, and music students forbidden from referencing their status as university students? If a musician posts a video from their dorm room playing the guitar and singing, should they lose their scholarship money?

Or is this just another way for the NCAA to exploit children with a dream to feed their multi-billion dollar professional sports association?

Top Bottom