• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College football player loses scholarship over his YouTube channel

totowhoa

Banned
Fuck the NCAA. I support the kid's sticking to his principles, even if it's a poor choice long term.

Hell, his godundme is at $1400 in 4 hours. Even if he only hits 15k, that's a win. If he loves YouTube and wants to stick it to the NCAA, it looks like he's doing it and getting exposure. Good on him, and fuck the NCAA cartel.

JABEE

Cartel gonna cartel.

Seriously. How many people would think it was fair for any other profession to not pay their highly-skilled employees? This should be illegal. It's monopolistic and exploitative.

For anything but college sports it would be unacceptable.

English students should lose their scholarship money and/or be banned from writing if they are caught making money off their words.

All art students must forfeit their works to the school if they are on scholarship for the school to license as they see fit. Every university in the country has colluded and agreed to these conditions. The only way to make money in art is to go to University for at least two years and follow these restrictions.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Trying to balance an actual part-time job with full-time classes is hard as a motherfucker. I only take 5 classes a semester and even then it feels like I'm being exhausted of all my energy. Balancing all that, then adding non-stop football practice and training on top of all that? Very very few kids could pull that off. Just let them at least accept some damn endorsements.

Pull in millions to billions of dollars each year give the students a blip of the cut in "education" forbid said athlete from making any $ whats so ever to support himself/herself or family, while more than likely will not make it to the pros to make millions, god forbid they make some side $ from a fucking youtube channel to support themselves a bit more gotta love the blood suckers, "we need more money, you get nothing", attitude with the ncaa.

I'm happy he didn't bow down to the NCAA. If a few big athletes catch wind of this and start donating to him it might put more pressure on the NCAA to change their system.

milhouse74

Neo Member
How is this fair? These restrictions are only in place for their professional football players earning zero money for their labor.

Are Marketing, Journalism, and music students forbidden from referencing their status as university students? If a musician posts a video from their dorm room playing the guitar and singing, should they lose their scholarship money?

Or is this just another way for the NCAA to exploit children with a dream to feed their multi-billion dollar professional sports association?

Because once you open that door, you can't close it. Next thing you know schools boosters will give all of these kids jobs and their parents jobs and their grandparents jobs. It's bad enough now with school that clearly do it until they get caught. You open the door you have no idea what will happen to college football. Big schools will get even bigger, small schools won't be able to afford to have football. Scholarships dry up. So many kids will lose their shot at even going to school. Do you know how few kids actually play in the pros? They at least get a shot at an education. That'll go bye bye. I love how people always think "oh, it's as easy as.....". It ain't.

Big Blue

Because once you open that door, you can't close it. Next thing you know schools boosters will give all of these kids jobs and their parents jobs and their grandparents jobs. It's bad enough now with school that clearly do it until they get caught. You open the door you have no idea what will happen to college football. Big schools will get even bigger, small schools won't be able to afford to have football. Scholarships dry up. So many kids will lose their shot at even going to school. Do you know how few kids actually play in the pros? They at least get a shot at an education. That'll go bye bye. I love how people always think "oh, it's as easy as.....". It ain't.

People don't realize that it's not that easy. Most athletic programs operate in the red as it is. Giving players more than scholarships will whittle down FBS football to maybe 20 teams and in process kill college athletes. It's not that simple.

MIMIC

Banned
OMG, when are these athletes going to rally together and stop this nonsense. They hold all the cards. Seems like they're going to need a competent, high-profile student athlete to organize a resistance. Otherwise, nothing will change.

The NCAA, right or wrong, works very hard to maintain its amateur status, using your position on the team to make cash, no matter how much other work goes into the channel, is against this desired goal.

I'm not arguing about whether the NCAA should stop enforcing amateurism, only saying that he was given a choice based on current standards expected of all NCAA athletes.

Amateurism is a sham the NCAA makes up to propagate it's lies and money making. The man who invented the term "Student athlete" did so to protect the NCAA from workmens comp claims, and spent the last years of his life decrying the NCAA as morally bankrupt and built on a foundation of exploitation and lies.

Aselith

OMG, when are these athletes going to rally together and stop this nonsense. They hold all the cards. Seems like they're going to need a competent, high-profile student athlete to organize a resistance. Otherwise, nothing will change.

What cards? If they decided to go on "strike", there are a million other kids (literally) who would be happy to take their place. Yeah, some schools would lose out on top prospects but they can field a team for as long as they need to and if the kid strikes no one gets him so they don't exactly loose a lot.

Seems like these rules need to change but the players have zero cards tbh

People don't realize that it's not that easy. Most athletic programs operate in the red as it is. Giving players more than scholarships will whittle down FBS football to maybe 20 teams and in process kill college athletes. It's not that simple.

If college football cannot survive but off the back of exploited labor from a poor, predominantly black underclass.

Then it shouldn't exist in the first place.

A game ain't that important.

Big Blue

If college football cannot survive but off the back of exploited labor from a poor, predominantly black underclass.

So why do those black students play then?? I have an old teammate in the NFL who would never have been able to afford the private school he attended if it weren't for college athletics.

Aselith

All right and then those kids just don't go to college unless they have the financial means to do it the other way, Sounds good?

So why do those black students play then??

Because it's one avenue they've been culturally conditioned to use to escape, in many cases, abject poverty and make some money for their family.

To do so they are exploited and churned through a system that requires them to function but affords them no ability or adequate standard of living to do so.

Scholarship athletes are up at 5:30 AM every day doing hard, laborious work before going to hard, mentally straining classes (if the schools even allow them to take real courses and risk academic ineligibility), and then spend the remainder of their day doing hard, physically demanding labor and dusting off with academic advisement, homework assignments, et all. Most don't even have the time to bus tables on the weekends for pennies.

It's keeping kids in an exploitative loop because they can. If the institution cannot survive NOT exploiting these kids, it shouldn't exist.

I mean you guys are literally advocating that kids be exploited, used, denied the ability to even provide for themselves and given a sub-par at best education because "well they get free college tho" despite that most universities don't even ALLOW their athletes to take high stress courses or course loads because it's too much.

Don't try and play me as someone susceptable to "well then these poor black kids will just stay in the hood instead of GETTING THIS AMAZING WONDERFUL OPPORTUNITY THE GRACIOUS NCAA HAS BESTOWED UPON THEM".

Save that noise.

Big Blue

Because it's one avenue they've been culturally conditioned to use to escape, in many cases, abject poverty and make some money for their family.

To do so they are exploited and churned through a system that requires them to function but affords them no ability or adequate standard of living to do so.

Scholarship athletes are up at 5:30 AM every day doing hard, laborious work before going to hard, mentally straining classes (if the schools even allow them to take real courses and risk academic ineligibility), and then spend the remainder of their day doing hard, physically demanding labor and dusting off with academic advisement, homework assignments, et all. Most don't even have the time to bus tables on the weekends for pennies.

It's keeping kids in an exploitative loop because they can. If the institution cannot survive NOT exploiting these kids, it shouldn't exist.

I have an old teammate in the NFL who would never have been able to afford the private school he attended if it weren't for college athletics. College is not free

I have an old teammate in the NFL who would never have been able to afford the private school he attended if it weren't for college athletics. College is not free

So it's cool that kids are exploited then since they "get a free (it's really not free they work 80+ hours a week hard labor to get that "free" mostly sub-par college education) ride".

Ok.

Big Blue

So it's cool that kids are exploited then since they "get a free (it's really not free they work 80+ hours a week hard labor to get that "free" mostly sub-par college education) ride".

Ok.

My old teammate, current defensive lineman for the Dolphins says it was worth it. He has a degree that would have cost him $200,000 dollar otherwise. He could have paid his way to another school. Who are you as a keyboard lawyer, to say he's wrong? He knew what he signed up for. He had a choice and he made it.

I mean you've obviously already got a narrative concocted in your head based on an anecdote. So there's nothing i could say too you that would actually like, attach in your brain. Especially since your friend is one of the 0.5% of players that made it to a professional league.

If you wanna stan for an exploitative multi-billion dollar corporate entity you're free to do so.

Aside: the "Most football programs lose money" bit is disingenuous. It's shady accounting mixed with not factoring the additional services and payments rendered by alumnus and boosters based on the perceived pedigree of their athletics programs. Yes, Texas is the big dog that helps bouy a conference, but the other schools still generate revenue from football. It's just not all on the "official" books.

Big Blue

I mean you've obviously already got a narrative concocted in your head based on an anecdote. So there's nothing i could say too you that would actually like, attach in your brain. Especially since your friend is one of the 0.5% of players that made it to a professional league.

If you wanna stan for an exploitative multi-billion dollar corporate entity you're free to do so.

I'm not stanning anything. But at the same time, I'm not co-signing the narrative that college athletics is modern day slavery. You can say that they get exploited, meanwhile Sallie Mae has her fingers on my bank account. Cry me a fuckin' river. If a man thinks he's being exploited, then he can leave. There will always be another player willing to step in, which is why this is all moot.

I'm not stanning anything. But at the same time, I'm not co-signing the narrative that college athletics is modern day slavery. You can say that they get exploited, meanwhile Sallie Mae has her fingers on my bank account. Cry me a fuckin' river.

So literally "Fuck them I don't care since I had to pay, they can starve and work themselves and their bodies into the ground for pennies and a shit education".

Bitterness isn't a good look.

mr2xxx

Banned
My old teammate, current defensive lineman for the Dolphins says it was worth it. He has a degree that would have cost him $200,000 dollar otherwise. He could have paid his way to another school. Who are you as a keyboard lawyer, to say he's wrong? He knew what he signed up for. He had a choice and he made it.

My health insurance is great, guess America is doing pretty good with its healthcare system.

Big Blue

So literally "Fuck them I don't care since I had to pay, they can starve and work themselves and their bodies into the ground for pennies and a shit education".

Bitterness isn't a good look.

I'm just disproving the idea that they get "nothing".

They have lower admissions standards

They get free food.

They get free tutoring

They get free healthcare

They get free housing

They get preferential treatment,

I know way to many D1 athletes to the point where I think it's comical that people think they're exploited. I will never shout a man down for wanting to get paid, but miss me with the idea that they're getting mistreated.

I'm just disproving the idea that they get "nothing".

Ctrl-F "nothing"

Huh. It's almost like you're concocting a narrative I'm not even pushing.

I'm not saying they get nothing, I'm saying what they get isn't commiserate to their peers at university and they work and provide a service as full time employees despite receiving no pay and room and board.

Gattsu25

Banned
So fucked up the money everyone makes off those kids except the kids themselves.
Modern day plantation
I struggle to think of another analogy.

Can't make money off his abilities
Can't get paid as an athlete (but the school and NCAA itself make millions)
Don't really have time for a job as a college athlete

Amazing.

Shit sucks, dude is trying to help his family and he's not even allowed to do that.

This is my alma mater too heh
It's crazy that this is still their policy. They use these kids up and keep them poor. Lord help them if they suffer an injury.

I mean you guys are literally advocating that kids be exploited, used, denied the ability to even provide for themselves and given a sub-par at best education because "well they get free college tho" despite that most universities don't even ALLOW their athletes to take high stress courses or course loads because it's too much.

Don't try and play me as someone susceptable to "well then these poor black kids will just stay in the hood instead of GETTING THIS AMAZING WONDERFUL OPPORTUNITY THE GRACIOUS NCAA HAS BESTOWED UPON THEM".

Save that noise.

Thats the reality if you want to go from amateur to professional in nearly every sport, even a table tennis player has to hit the gym for 10 odd hours a week.

Chichikov

Because it's collusion. If the schools did not collude through the NCAA to not pay their players, on an open market those kids would be making a whole lot of money. They literally using illegal methods to take money away from mostly poor kids.
The fact that it's still can be a good career move doesn't make it right. For example, if all tech companies decided to cap software engineers' pay at 60k a year it would still be a decent enough deal and some people would still sign up for that, but it wouldn't make it okay or legal.

Thats the reality if you want to go from amuetur to professional in nearly every sport

Except in every other major sport there are avenues to monetize your ability or bypass a forced amateur system if you CHOOSE.

Football players are denied that choice, built upon by a monopolistic entity that controls every aspect of their lives for four+ years because the NFL and NCAA deem it so.

If I can play BBall well enough and don't wanna go to bumblefuck U on a scholarship I can go and play in professional leagues all over the world to showcase myself and make money using my given talents in that profession.

Football players get told "fuck you, you want that half a percent chance you make it you do it this way or never".

Aselith

Ctrl-F "nothing"

Huh. It's almost like you're concocting a narrative I'm not even pushing.

I'm not saying they get nothing, I'm saying what they get isn't commiserate to their peers at university and they work and provide a service as full time employees despite receiving no pay and room and board.

Well, if they get the degree and it would be 200k that's $50,000 a year and I'm pretty sure some athletic scholarships do get room and board depending on the terms.

Kill3r7

UCF fan here. NCAA is trash as usual. I think the best way to address the compensation issue is to allow athletes to license themselves.

Keeps the school out of a payroll situation, and allows athletes that people care about to rightfully earn extra money like any other student.

Here you have a marketing major that can't market themselves without ridiculous restrictions.

Edit: If he looked at the revenues and saw he was making more than his scholarship and stipend, then it makes more immediate practical sense to do the videos.

If not, then maybe you compromise, play, and fight. But from what I have seen, he just started a GoFundMe, which indicates the revenue isn't there.

How do you keep boosters and agents out of it? It is easy to funnel money to certain prominent players, not to imply that this is not happening now. College sports are fucked. They have to compensate the student athletes but they do not have enough funds to really do so.

Menchi

Don't really see why he didn't carry on making money without referencing student athlete status... Principle maybe, but just seems a bit pointless, as I doubt this will roll on to make some big change

I would have compromised but this is pretty ridiculous and probably violates his first amendment rights (help me here LawyerGaf?).

Johndoey

Banned
It seems like the NCAA tried to meet in the middle and he gave them the finger.

Being allowed to keep his football focused channel as long as he basically doesn't mention football, the channel he's using to leverage his abilities to send money to his family, is not meeting him in the middle. It's strongman bullshit from a garbage organization.

rjc571

Banned
Why didn't he just continue monetizing and stop referencing his status as a college athlete? That seems like a very fair offer by the NCAA.

The NCAA sucks and the rules against athletes earning money sucks but this seems consistent. YouTube w/ ads is no different than the guy producing DVDs of himself playing football and selling them, it's clearly against the rules.

The rules still suck and the NCAA still sucks.

Because it's collusion. If the schools did not collude through the NCAA to not pay their players, on an open market those kids would be making a whole lot of money. They literally using illegal methods to take money away from mostly poor kids.
The fact that it's still can be a good career move doesn't make it right. For example, if all tech companies decided to cap software engineers' pay at 60k a year it would still be a decent enough deal and some people would still sign up for that, but it wouldn't make it okay or legal.

Sports organizations have generally been exempted from antitrust and collusion litigation and the NCAA is no different. Most major organized leagues have salary caps, a concept which is obviously collusion... Salary caps would be illegal in any other industry, but athletic organizations are exempted from non competitive clauses, anti trust, owner collusion, and so on. Other sports concepts would be blatantly illegal otherwise, like a player draft (imagine if as a developer you we're only allowed to work for a company that arbitrarily 'picked' you after college), free agent period, trading deadline, etc.

Fliesen

How is it 'the middle' what was the NCAA compromising on?

They were giving him an option between two (imho) ridiculous demands. Lose your scholarship or lose the income off your personal youtube channel (directy by demonetization or indirectly by removing his ability to talk about football).

personally, like so many others, i'd have done everything in my power to not lose my scholarship. Still, it's super shitty.

Demoskinos

Why didn't he just continue monetizing and stop referencing his status as a college athlete? That seems like a very fair offer by the NCAA.

Don't really see why he didn't carry on making money without referencing student athlete status... Principle maybe, but just seems a bit pointless, as I doubt this will roll on to make some big change

Him being an athlete was a core focus of his channel and they knew that. It's a snide underhanded way of trying to get him to volunteer to stop his channel or severely gut it. And yall think that is okay?

Next thing you know, people might be entitled to the fruits of their labor. Oh the horror!

Top Bottom