• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College football player loses scholarship over his YouTube channel

entremet

The NCAA is a terrible and corrupt organization, but if you wanna play for them, you gotta play by their twisted rules sadly.

Where's the Ed O'Bannon lawsuit headed?

tokkun

Except in every other major sport there are avenues to monetize your ability or bypass a forced amateur system if you CHOOSE.

Football players are denied that choice, built upon by a monopolistic entity that controls every aspect of their lives for four+ years because the NFL and NCAA deem it so.

If I can play BBall well enough and don't wanna go to bumblefuck U on a scholarship I can go and play in professional leagues all over the world to showcase myself and make money using my given talents in that profession.

Football players get told "fuck you, you want that half a percent chance you make it you do it this way or never".

I agree with the objection to the policy in principle, but I don't think things would change much if it was removed.

First, you don't have many basketball players getting drafted out of high school anyway.
Second, football players are less ready for playing at the pros directly out of high school. Very frequently they don't even play competitively at college level as true freshmen.
Third, there is not really a viable non-college developmental league for football players, like there is for basketball.

So I think the only change you would see by lifting the requirement would be that a few elite players get drafted as sophomores rather than juniors.

Chichikov

Sports organizations have generally been exempted from antitrust and collusion litigation and the NCAA is no different. Most major organized leagues have salary caps, a concept which is obviously collusion... Salary caps would be illegal in any other industry, but athletic organizations are exempted from non competitive clauses, anti trust, owner collusion, and so on. Other sports concepts would be blatantly illegal otherwise, like a player draft (imagine if as a developer you we're only allowed to work for a company that arbitrarily 'picked' you after college), free agent period, trading deadline, etc.
They are not exempt of shit, it's just that no one want to be the one who takes football away from Americans.
Also, the pro leagues players are unionized and negotiate a collective bargaining agreement which is a very different situation than what's going on in the NCAA.

SyNapSe

Him being an athlete was a core focus of his channel and they knew that. It's a snide underhanded way of trying to get him to volunteer to stop his channel or severely gut it. And yall think that is okay?

He agreed not to do that when he signed. They aren't punishing him, asking for money made to be returned, etc. They're simply asking him to comply with the rules he agreed to in the future.

I understand that a lot of people don't like the NCAAs rules for athlete eligibility but that seems like a totally separate issue. This person knew the rules, agreed to them, and then broke them.

While I despise the NCAA and it's making millions off student athletes they then don't allow to make money, I can't help but think the kid should have just went with option 1 and moved on.

TyrantII

It's a job when every other streamer and youtube star does this.

But a college football player does it and suddenly the NCAA got issues.

Nah, only reason he got shut down is because the NCAA doesn't get a cut, that's it. Fuck that, stand up for your rights, the NCAA cant forbid you from having a damn job.

No...

The shut it down because it opens them up to legal liability. They're worried down the road it could be used to argue their policy is illegal.

Either way they're probably going to court now, and they're on a collision course where the financial gain ban will be stripped.

As for the kid he's either really smart or really stupid, depending on who he gets for a legal team.

They are not exempt of shit, it's just that no one want to be the one who takes football away from Americans.
Also, the pro leagues players are unionized and negotiate a collective bargaining agreement which is a very different situation than what's going on in the NCAA.
Baseball is, in fact, exempt from US antitrust law.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The restrictions are stupid, but they did give him two options that would have prevented this so I can't feel too sorry for him.

Chichikov

Baseball is, in fact, exempt from US antitrust law.
Don't get me started on that shit. It's not the worst decision the supreme Court ever made, but it's still outdated garage that only lives on due to the court over reliance on precedent.
Though yeah, point taken. This does not apply to the NCAA though.

E92 M3

He had a choice, can't feel too sorry for him. A lot of kids would kill to be in his position. Life has rules, and to succeed, we sometimes have to follow them.

espher

Option 1 is a "fair" option if you consider anything the NCAA currently does fair.

I, too, would have probably caved and played the long game but I'm not going to fault him for not bowing to the NCAA's BS.

CDV13

Ahhhh the NCAA back at it again. One of the worst organizations. Just raking in money off the hard work of others.

Kthulhu

He had a choice, can't feel too sorry for him. A lot of kids would kill to be in his position. Life has rules, and to succeed, we sometimes have to follow them.

You kidding me? The NCAA was already exploiting him and now they're telling him he can't even make money of his own accord.

E92 M3

You kidding me? The NCAA was already exploiting him and now they're telling him he can't even make money of his own accord.

Well, he had a choice. He doesn't have any leverage in the situation and it was a losing situation. The smart thing to do would have been to get your education and then fight for reform. Common sense dictates to not play around with your fucking scholarship and college education.

And he's not getting exploited. Thousands of kids get to fulfill their dreams thanks to the NCAA.

Kthulhu

Well, he had a choice. He doesn't have any leverage in the situation and it was a losing situation. The smart thing to do would have been to get your education and then fight for reform. Common sense dictates to not play around with your fucking scholarship and college education.

And he's not getting exploited. Thousands of kids get to fulfill their dreams thanks to the NCAA.

Bullshit. Being an athlete for the NCAA is the equivalent of an artist or writer working for exposure..

Kill3r7

Bullshit. Being an athlete for the NCAA is the equivalent of an artist or writer working for exposure..

That is some ridiculous oversimplification. Do you think the filed hockey player is out there showcasing her talent for those high paying professional field hockey gigs? Same can be said just about all Olympic sport athletes.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
NCAA is a trash organization. Also, I would have taken option 1. Taking a stand is just going to cost him everything. No scholarship and no position on a football team to leverage for youtube views. I hope things turn out ok for him.

F34R

Meh... play by the rules, or don't play. He made choices, a pretty dumb choice at that; according to what's being reported of course.
I lost a soccer scholarship because of choices I made that went against the core principles of the school, so do I complain about the scholarship being gone because I decided instead of trying to get the rules changed, I simply break the rules first? Yeah, stupid.

shandy706

I would have done the cowardly thing by compromising here. NCAA is trash, but id play the long game.

It's not cowardly really. Making money off being a college athlete isn't allowed.

Not saying I agree, but that's the rules. Just remove the references to your school and keep bringing in the money.

I have a love hate relationship with the NCAA. I'll really love them the second they drop this hammer on UNC over the fake classes and cheating players.

Paz

Seems like the NCAA only exists to massively exploit young athletes before they enter the 'pro' scene?

Kill3r7

It's not cowardly really. Making money off being a college athlete isn't allowed.

Not saying I agree, but that's the rules. Just remove the references to your school and keep bringing in the money.

I have a love hate relationship with the NCAA. I'll really love them the second they drop this hammer on UNC over the fake classes and cheating players.

March Madness alone makes $1.1B annually. They are not killing one of their golden gooses. I fully expect UNC to get off lightly.

Kill3r7

Do you?

Most kids the NCAA aren't gonna get into the NFL.

Correct but how do you come up with a pay structure that does not run afoul of Title IX? You would be basically paying football players, men's bball and about 5 women's bball programs.

Chichikov

Correct but how do you come up with a pay structure that does not run afoul of Title IX? You would be basically paying football players, men's bball and about 5 women's bball programs.
That thing obviously never been tested in court, but most opinons is read suggests that this will not be a violation. I mean, we think that Alabama spend as much on their football program as their woman basketball team?

But either way, of title ix stands in a way of athletes getting properly compensated for their work then I think we should change the law.

I mean yeah that might have been the better thing to do but I also don't know how you could be upset with him for not giving in to that?

And lol! What about the hundreds of thousands who don't? And before you ask me, yes I know D1 athletes and the work even the 2nd string puts in is more than enough to get paid a universal basic income and to not be barred from making money with their status.

And even if this kid does make it all the way, there's still not a valid reason why he couldn't have made money off of his YouTube channel by referencing himself and his own team other than ass backwards laws.

Kill3r7

That thing obviously never been tested in court, but most opinons is read suggests that this will not be a violation. I mean, we think that Alabama spend as much on their football program as their woman basketball team?

But either way, of title ix stands in a way of athletes getting properly compensated for their work then I think we should change the law.

Agreed, *my interpretation is that paid athletes would become school employees rather than student athletes, but the optics of not paying women and most Olympic sport athletes will be a hard pill to swallow. Also you will see a further erosion of Olympic sports. Most universities have aggressively started cutting Olympic sports because they are generally a money sink.

EDIT: My interpretation of Title IX is that they will have to provide commensurate compensation for female athletes. My guess is that they will get around this by converting football and basketball players to school employees instead of scholarship athletes.

Chichikov

Agreed but the optics of not paying women and most Olympic sport athletes will be a hard pill to swallow. Also you will see a further erosion of Olympic sports. Most universities have aggressively started cutting Olympic sports because they are generally a money sink.
The Olympics is a whole different story, and while it does bother me that a lot of people working for or on the Olympics are getting filthy rich but the people who dedicate their life and often ruin their bodies can't, I do concede that there probably isn't a simple easy solution for that situation (though I do think we should try to make Olympians do be better compensated, a ton of them live in fucking poverty, and that's shit). But NCAA football has a very simple solution. Unionize, get a CBA and pay your fucking workforce.

MIMIC

Banned
What cards? If they decided to go on "strike", there are a million other kids (literally) who would be happy to take their place. Yeah, some schools would lose out on top prospects but they can field a team for as long as they need to and if the kid strikes no one gets him so they don't exactly loose a lot.

Seems like these rules need to change but the players have zero cards tbh

The point is that nobody is going to watch the games. "Record attendance" will no longer be a thing. And when the interest goes, so does the money.

E92 M3

Do you?

Most kids the NCAA aren't gonna get into the NFL.

Yes, many from the past Penn State football team (not current obviously).

I mean yeah that might have been the better thing to do but I also don't know how you could be upset with him for not giving in to that?

And lol! What about the hundreds of thousands who don't? And before you ask me, yes I know D1 athletes and the work even the 2nd string puts in is more than enough to get paid a universal basic income and to not be barred from making money with their status.

And even if this kid does make it all the way, there's still not a valid reason why he couldn't have made money off of his YouTube channel by referencing himself and his own team other than ass backwards laws.

Personal responsibility is important. He had the choice of either keeping his free college education or making YouTube videos.

He made the wrong choice.

UCBooties

From the title I thought it was going to be because the school objected to the content of his videos (racism, sexism, whatever). But of course it's the NCAA trying to fuck over a student.

College sports organizations are fucking garbage.

Kill3r7

The Olympics is a whole different story, and while it does bother me that a lot of people working for or on the Olympics are getting filthy rich but the people who dedicate their life and often ruin their bodies can't, I do concede that there probably isn't a simple easy solution for that situation (though I do think we should try to make Olympians do be better compensated, a ton of them live in fucking poverty, and that's shit). But NCAA football has a very simple solution. Unionize, get a CBA and pay your fucking workforce.

Sorry, I should have been more clear when referring to Olympic sports . I am talking about athletic events that are traditionally seen during the Olympic games but are played by student athletes in the NCAA. They make up the bulk of NCAA student athletes.

Golden rule everytime in these situations

Those who have the gold make the rules

Stupid move by the kid, should have just removed the fact he played football from his youtube videos but kept the money making on them. By being principaled now he basically got forced to pick option b without the benefit of still playing football.

Chichikov

Sorry, I should have been more clear when referring to Olympic sports . I am talking about athletic events that are traditionally seen during the Olympic games but are played by student athletes in the NCAA. They make up the bulk of NCAA student athletes.
I agree that's a more complicated situation, and yeah, I would like to end up in a place where schools can have those programs funded, but I don't thing that football players have to be forced to work for free to achieve that goal. Every other country manage to have Olympic athletes without rich people making money out of free labor of poor people.

Kill3r7

NCAA has an enormous influence over athletes because college tuition is disgustingly overpriced.

To be fair many of these kids have no business attending some of these universities simply based on academic merit. It is their ability on the field that allows them to attend. For the revenue generating sports they more than pay their keep. I believe these kids should get paid based on their skill as any school employee.

Big Blue

I agree that's a more complicated situation, and yeah, I would like to end up in a place where schools can have those programs funded, but I don't thing that football players have to be forced to work for free to achieve that goal. Every other country manage to have Olympic athletes without rich people making money out of free labor of poor people.
This is the hyperbole I mean. Which one is it, are they underpaid or are they slaves?? Like I said, I will never be mad at anyone who wants to get paid, but I'm not going to stick with the narrative like the bolded.

I didn't know what NCAA is, but people referring to it as a corporation seemed odd so I looked it up on Wikipedia.

It's a non-profit organisation that puts 96% of its surplus back into the member organizations or on programs that support student athletics.

This guy was on a sports scholarship. He was given the option to either stop monetizing his YouTube account or to remove references to his status. He refused.

Maybe he didn't understand the meaning of the word "amateur" or something.

This is the hyperbole I mean. Which one is it, are they underpaid or are they slaves?? Like I said, I will never be mad at anyone who wants to get paid, but I'm not going to stick with the narrative like the bolded.
It isn't a narrative. He never called them slaves, just said they work for free, which they do. The inference to slavery is your own.

DYSASTER

Banned
i can see why he did this, but he did not think long term or rationally in my opinion.

all they asked was him- while he was a student athlete - to refrain from mentioning it on his monetized channel- and to move videos that do mention it to a non monetized channel.

he could have had it "all" he could have "sucked it up" and had:

a scholarship & a monetized youtube channel for 2-3 years & if he was good enough enter draft as a junior like a lot of college athletes do now and make a few million dollars -provided he made the team that drafted him- post school.

but now he has a monetized channel (never heard of his so i have no idea how much money he makes- i do not follow anyone on youtube/twitter/facebook etc.) but CANNOT play football due to him not being willing to..stop saying he was a student athlete on a monetized youtube channel.

hope it works out for him.

Draxal

They don't even HAVE to play players. They could fucking just let them get endorsements and crap off their names and share sales of jerseys with their name and allow them to get paid for the likeness in sports games. It's like wtf.

Bingo.

maxiell

I didn't know what NCAA is, but people referring to it as a corporation seemed odd so I looked it up on Wikipedia.

It's a non-profit organisation that puts 96% of its surplus back into the member organizations or on programs that support student athletics.

Should you really be commenting on this if you don't know what the NCAA is?

Colleges and universities build massive endowments on the backs of their tax status and the revenues from student athletes. They have huge TV deals with major networks, and don't have to pay compensation other than scholarships.

Blaming the victim is a real stretch here. An unfair law or regulation is not justified simply by the fact that it exists.

To be fair many of these kids have no business attending some of these universities simply based on academic merit. It is their ability on the field that allows them to attend. For the revenue generating sports they more than pay their keep. I believe these kids should get paid based on their skill as any school employee.

One of the arguments NCAA makes for their rules on private income is that athletes get compensated through scholarships. If school tuition was affordable or free that would completely squash that argument. Poor and middle income students that have a golden ticket through athletic abilities are forced into sports that destroys their bodies in order to get ahead in life. It's another example of awful American capitalism.

Top Bottom