• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 1: Power 5 Conferences to UCF – “Stick to cooking”

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume these were in the pipeline for a while, but I assumed donations skyrockted after last year?

I'm sure donations are on the uptick, but "notable donors" include Magic Johnson, Tom Izzo, Mark Dantonio & AD Mark Hollis. Flozell Adams provided the final $1.5 mil to finish the locker room.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
FjXsVCJ.jpg

OxA4EyJ.jpg

Videogames to make up for the lack of NCAA videogames.

Lonestar

Seeing this:

#USC head coach Steve Sarkisian says program has received "a few phone calls contradicting" Josh Shaw's story about saving nephew from pool.

Hmmm

Perhaps he just stupidly jumped from the balcony into the pool and hurt himself, instead of saving someone.

@HeatherBrit · 21m
Sources: Josh Shaw was involved in an incident involving domestic abuse & jumped off a 3rd story window while running from LAPD. #USC

george-takei-o.gif

andycapps

@HeatherBrit · 21m
Sources: Josh Shaw was involved in an incident involving domestic abuse & jumped off a 3rd story window while running from LAPD. #USC

george-takei-o.gif

USC just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about California culture (I'm an expert, brah), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in the SEC where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in California, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is to take the 5 up to Seattle.

What this means is the California public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to go to any USC games, nor will they purchase any of Shaw's jerseys. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but USC has alienated an entire market with this move.

USC, publicly apologize and kick Josh Shaw off your team or you can kiss your season goodbye.

andycapps

College players don't have jerseys attributed to them. The amateur, student-athlete nature of the sport is very important.

True, though I did see that Highlighter U was putting out 24 different jerseys this year for their star QB. I don't know who he is though or why he'd be so important that they'd make so many jerseys without his name on them.

cdyhybrid

True, though I did see that Highlighter U was putting out 24 different jerseys this year for their star QB. I don't know who he is though or why he'd be so important that they'd make so many jerseys without his name on them.

I can only assume it's because he's an upstanding member of the community and does well in the classroom.

Is what I would say if he weren't going to school at Nike U

Lonestar

@HeatherBrit · 21m

george-takei-o.gif

I sat down to eat some Krystals, and pop open the browser.

Almost had to self-Heimlich.

Thanks, Kiffikens.

andycapps

Don't forget folks. There is a FCS game on Wednesday evening on ESPN U. It is something, not much, but something.

Georgia State is an up and coming program. I am actually supportive of them. I'd like to see them do well. They made the move from FCS to FBS last year when they moved to the Sun Belt. They went 0-12. :jnc

Georgia State is an up and coming program. I am actually supportive of them. I'd like to see them do well. They made the move from FCS to FBS last year when they moved to the Sun Belt. They went 0-12. :jnc

This is also the first year Abilene will be an FCS member. They came up from DII. And technically Georgia State kicks off the FBS college season tomorrow.

KingGondo

Banned
I already fixed that mistake. :p
You'll rue that mistake on Saturday, my friend.

In unrelated Big XII holy shit WTF news:

Des Moines Register said:
The Iowa State football community is in mourning yet again.

Former Cyclones running back Hiawatha Rutland was found dead in Lake Erie near the vicinity of Whiskey Island on Monday, according to a release from the Cuyahoga County (Ohio) Medical Examiner.

Rutland was 33.

According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Rutland jumped from a private boat to swim ashore with his girlfriend. The paper reports that according to authorities, Rutland began to flounder about 90 feet from land.

Rutland's sudden death is another in a long list of tragedies for the Iowa State football family.

In 2003, former running back Ennis Haywood died after ingesting ethanol and two drugs.

In 2006, former quarterback Cris Love lost his bout with cancer.

In 2008, fans mourned the deaths of former running back Stevie Hicks and linebacker Justin Eilers.

Earlier this year, former defensive end Jason Berryman was found shot and killed.

With Haywood, Hicks, and now Rutland's deaths, Iowa State's leading rushers from 2000-2006 have all passed away. Rutland rushed for a team-high 614 yards in 2002.
Somebody please warn the leading rushers from 1999 and 2007. Jesus.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...iawatha-rutland-iowa-state-cyclones/14636143/

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
So Michael Brewer is starting for VT, is Baker Mayfield still planning on sitting out a year at OU?

He certainly didn't plan on it (as his multiple appeals and hiring of an attorney against the NCAA show), but yes, he's sitting out this year.

From what I heard out of OU during the Spring it seems like if he was eligible to play then Mayfield would be 2nd string at worst and very realistically pushing for the starting job. Personally I think that says more about the OU depth chart at the position than it says about Mayfield, though admittedly performing well in practice was never his problem.

He certainly didn't plan on it (as his multiple appeals and hiring of an attorney against the NCAA show), but yes, he's sitting out this year.

From what I heard out of OU during the Spring it seems like if he was eligible to play then Mayfield would be 2nd string at worst and very realistically pushing for the starting job. Personally I think that says more about the OU depth chart at the position than it says about Mayfield, though admittedly performing well in practice was never his problem.

He was your Garrett Gilbert.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
@HeatherBrit · 21m

george-takei-o.gif
You people are so fucking cynical. This doesn't contradict his statement. Could have jumped out of a window and into a pool. The very same pool in which his nephew was drowning. He dragged his nephew out of the pool and then continued fleeing from the LAPD.

So I left work early to get my haircut then went home and thought I'd knock out some yard work. Got stung by a wasp two fucking times. Trying to remember if I'm allergic or not. I can still breathe, but my arm is getting heavy and numb. If this is my last post here I just want the world to know that I fucking hate Tennessee.

andycapps

So I left work early to get my haircut then went home and thought I'd knock out some yard work. Got stung by a wasp two fucking times. Trying to remember if I'm allergic or not. I can still breathe, but my arm is getting heavy and numb. If this is my last post here I just want the world to know that I fucking hate Tennessee.

Happened to me a few years ago and I went to the ER because it kept getting worse. I suggest taking some Benadryl ASAP. If you have trouble breathing, go to the ER.

Wasps and yellow jackets (also a wasp) are the worst.

Bruce Feldman posted in an article today is that he's received word that Weis has fallen asleep in multiple meetings. I'm shocked.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Alabama still hasn't named a starting QB yet. Saban why you do this to me.
It's Sims. Everybody knows that it's Sims, but Coker will come off the bench and play.
Happened to me a few years ago and I went to the ER because it kept getting worse. I suggest taking some Benadryl ASAP. If you have trouble breathing, go to the ER.

Wasps and yellow jackets (also a wasp) are the worst.

Bruce Feldman posted in an article today is that he's received word that Weis has fallen asleep in multiple meetings. I'm shocked.
Benadryl is a good idea.

USC just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about California culture (I'm an expert, brah), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in the SEC where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in California, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is to take the 5 up to Seattle.

What this means is the California public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to go to any USC games, nor will they purchase any of Shaw's jerseys. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but USC has alienated an entire market with this move.

USC, publicly apologize and kick Josh Shaw off your team or you can kiss your season goodbye.

still a great quote in any context. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom