• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 12 - Big 12 Championship Weekend Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorillaz

What is the chance for Mich state fuckery and osu is back in the title spot

its over isn't it well at least we have something I guess

cdyhybrid

I don't see Saban going anywhere unless they offer him double what Bama would. He's getting pretty old, dunno if he'd be able to go through another rebuild.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Richt would be decent at LSU, as their current personal fits with his usual types of offenses.

Really not sure how LSU would fare if they went with a Chip Kelly-type offense. I'd imagine a Rich Rod Michigan situation happening. Pieces just don't fit.

Meier

I don't remember if it was in this thread or the NFL one, but someone said Kelly should take the job at LSU if/when he gets fired or resigns from the Eagles. I'd love to see him there. He'd rip it up I think.

andycapps

Richt would be decent at LSU, as their current personal fits with his usual types of offenses.

Really not sure how LSU would fare if they went with a Chip Kelly-type offense. I'd imagine a Rich Rod Michigan situation happening. Pieces just don't fit.

Ditto, UGA would be fine with Miles coming in since they're both pro-style offenses.

Yeah it's going to be hard to find a pro-style guy out there that is willing to move. I did see that Gruden is on the boosters minds as well as Fisher and the usual suspects. How does Gruden keep getting brought up despite denying every rumor with his name out there? I wonder if he can negotiate a higher contract with ESPN every time this happens? Is Jimmy Sexton his agent?

Draxal

Ditto, UGA would be fine with Miles coming in since they're both pro-style offenses.

Yeah it's going to be hard to find a pro-style guy out there that is willing to move. I did see that Gruden is on the boosters minds as well as Fisher and the usual suspects. How does Gruden keep getting brought up despite denying every rumor with his name out there? I wonder if he can negotiate a higher contract with ESPN every time this happens? Is Jimmy Sexton his agent?

You have to look at some pro coaches at this point. If chud wants to come back to the college game, I'd go after him hard.

I loved Chip Kelly in Oregon, but he wouldn't survive in the SEC West with his system. Saban would own him worse than Miles in all likelihood.

I don't want Herman either. I want a defensive minded coach with a good OC, which is something Miles would never give us.

What is the chance for Mich state fuckery and osu is back in the title spot

its over isn't it well at least we have something I guess

in 2007 we lost our 2nd to last game dropped ot 8th and somehow fell back to number 1 to get steam rolled by lsu, crazier things have happened

Draxal

I loved Chip Kelly in Oregon, but he wouldn't survive in the SEC West with his system. Saban would own him worse than Miles in all likelihood.

I don't want Herman either. I want a defensive minded coach with a good OC, which is something Miles would never give us.

MUSCHAMP!

ag-my001

So let's see: LSU could be playing mad for their coach, and A&M's run defense is A&M's run defense.

Fournette could go for 300+.

Jhriad

Apparently, the buyout will be reduced by the contract of his next job, but that didn't happen with Weis or Muschamp according to Darren Rovell.

Same deal that Pelini had with Nebraska. There's a reason why he was perfectly happy accepting a low salary at YSU. Of course, his sideline antics not too long ago are what will keep him from getting a large pay bump this year from any of the relatively decent programs that will be open this year.

El_Chino

Don't even joke. Please.

Nah LSU playing mad means Harris trying to throw deep balls into triple coverage. Chavis should be able to scrounge together enough of a defense to beat us.
That DEFESNE though. To be fair, he always had great defense a brought in top 10 recruiting class. He just needs a good OC.

That DEFESNE though. To be fair, he always had great defense a brought in top 10 recruiting class. He just needs a good OC.

I'm aware. But his stay in Florida was pretty much a less successful Les Miles stint, so no thank you.

You know what, if people down here really believe we can get Jimbo, then I'll believe in Kelly, if for no other reason than we'd get a yearly Kelly/Saban matchup (he's gonna go to USC though).

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Hard to find a better coach than Miles to be honest.

Kelly is interesting.. as I'm sure he's coming back to Philly unless he can turn shit around, though it's hardly his fault there.. he has no QB.. and you don't need as good of a QB in college honestly... yes Mariota was great, but Darron Thomas wasn't all that special. His system exploits weakness, and in the SEC, there's weakness still... defense this year in the SEC is horrible, and QB play is bad... and for once Chip would have really good lines.

Though I think Chip in Texas is a better fit.

andycapps

You have to look at some pro coaches at this point. If chud wants to come back to the college game, I'd go after him hard.

Yeah I think pro-style coaches start to become who you look at once Dantonio, Saban, Fisher. That carries it's own set of risks. The first being, how is this guy going to recruit? He either hasn't done it in years, or has never even done it at all. The other is, how are they going to pare down their scheme in order to teach it to college kids in a limited amount of time per week? Lot of pro coaches have a hard time doing that.

I'm aware. But his stay in Florida was pretty much a less successful Les Miles stint, so no thank you.

You know what, if people down here really believe we can get Jimbo, then I'll believe in Kelly, if for no other reason than we'd get a yearly Kelly/Saban matchup (he's gonna go to USC though).

Isn't USC coming from a pro-style offense as well?

Frustrated_Grunt said:
Wow, LSU is actually going to do it.

Everyone hide your coordinators this off season.

If anybody wants Schottenheimer, we'll give him to you.

Hard to find a better coach than Miles to be honest.

Kelly is interesting.. as I'm sure he's coming back to Philly unless he can turn shit around, though it's hardly his fault there.. he has no QB.. and you don't need as good of a QB in college honestly... yes Mariota was great, but Darron Thomas wasn't all that special. His system exploits weakness, and in the SEC, there's weakness still... defense this year in the SEC is horrible, and QB play is bad... and for once Chip would have really good lines.

Though I think Chip in Texas is a better fit.

LSU would rebel against Chip in the same way that Michigan did against Rich Rod. They're just not used to seeing good offense...and that makes them afraid.

Meier

I actually think if our defensive starters were healthy we could neutralize their offense which would give us some hope,
I won't take this game for granted ever to be honest. Well, I did with Jameis because he's Jameis, but otherwise, I'll always expect a tough game. UF's defense is a monster but with Smag slinging the ball pretty well, we should be able to at least get Dalvin in positions to excel.

El_Chino

I won't take this game for granted ever to be honest. Well, I did with Jameis because he's Jameis, but otherwise, I'll always expect a tough game. UF's defense is a monster but with Smag slinging the ball pretty well, we should be able to at least get Dalvin in positions to excel.
I thought we came pretty close against you guys last year consider Winston threw a couple of picks but Dalvin Cook should be interesting. We kind of slowed down Fournette but not as much as I'd hoped, but with a thin D Line, it's not gonna be pretty.

Lunar15

It wouldn't matter.......

While I never had high hopes, I definitely think it matters. At full strength, we're better than we were last year and FSU is a little bit worse. Last year was a close game despite our failures, and I think we actually could pull it off despite a flimsy line. Now, however...

Isn't USC coming from a pro-style offense as well?

USC's offense this year was some awful combination of pro-style and shotgun hurry up. They run a lot of 1 back and shot gun formations and don't employ as much full back usage as they did under Norm Chow. Of course they've lost like 2/3s of their offensive line so who knows.

I think though their remaining personnel is better suited for a pro-style offense and given what Les has done in terms of producing quality running backs with his offenses he'd be a pretty damn good fit at USC in terms of roster. USC's QBs are probably miles ahead (har har) of anything he's had at LSU since Matt Flynn.

USC's offense this year was some awful combination of pro-style and shotgun hurry up. They run a lot of 1 back and shot gun formations and don't employ as much full back usage as they did under Norm Chow. Of course they've lost like 2/3s of their offensive line so who knows.

I think though their remaining personnel is better suited for a pro-style offense and given what Les has done in terms of producing quality running backs with his offenses he'd be a pretty damn good fit at USC in terms of roster. USC's QBs are probably miles ahead (har har) of anything he's had at LSU since Matt Flynn.

Yeah but does USC have RBs? No? Miles doesn't know what to do then.

Also, we had Mettenberger for like one good season.

andycapps

Yeah, he'd be fine at USC. Great recruiting there, great facilities.. Only downside is Pat Haden.

Thanks to us ;p

cashman

Banned
I've been thinking about it and I think firing LSU might be a good move. I can't think of anything Les doesn particularly special as a coach other than recruit, and there are plenty of other coaches that can recruit in Louisiana. A&M/Alabama can only eat into their territory so much. It shouldn't be THAT hard to replace him or even improve on him.

USC has RBs, though. Good ones. Ronald Jones II is a beast.

I do find it funny that anybody would ask if the school long known as "Tailback U" has good RBs.

That said I'd find it funnier if Chip Kelly ended up at USC.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I've been thinking about it and I think firing LSU might be a good move. I can't think of anything Les doesn particularly special as a coach other than recruit, and there are plenty of other coaches that can recruit in Louisiana. A&M/Alabama can only eat into their territory so much. It shouldn't be THAT hard to replace him or even improve on him.
Between 1958 and Nick Saban, Baton Rouge was a college football wasteland... LSU needs a charismatic coach willing to work for the Louisiana recruits who have shown a willingness to leave the state.

USC has RBs, though. Good ones. Ronald Jones II is a beast.

I do find it funny that anybody would ask if the school long known as "Tailback U" has good RBs.

That said I'd find it funnier if Chip Kelly ended up at USC.

I'd say over the past decade and a half USC is more known for QBs than RBs.

I'd say over the past decade and a half USC is more known for QBs than RBs.

Surprisingly USC hasn't had a RB drafted since 2011! And he ended up switching back to LBer.

Wait I forgot, Buck Allen got drafted in 2015 and now he's the starter in Baltimore.

Presenting the Motel 6 Cactus Bowl!

In 2015 USC signed the #7 RB, #8 RB and #29 RB in the country (per Rivals).
In 2013 USC signed the #4 RB, and #9 RB in the country (per Rivals).

Mind you that #4 guy transferred, but the other 4 RBs are still on the roster. They don't seem to be after any in 2016 but they've been on an every other year cycle for RBs for awhile now. They currently have the #2 guy in 2017 committed already.

cdyhybrid

USC always has players. My only concern with him would be whether he has West Coast ties, but that concern is mitigated by the fact that USC recruits itself and that he'd likely hire a staff with those ties.

cashman

Banned
Between 1958 and Nick Saban, Baton Rouge was a college football wasteland... LSU needs a charismatic coach willing to work for the Louisiana recruits who have shown a willingness to leave the state.

Nick totally changed the landscape then what it was pre 2000. The entire state is crazy about LSU, and it's a lot easier to recruit when you are already #1 in a lot of kids heads. It's a like what Texas used to be without the prosepect of 3 or 4 P5 schools ready to eat away at your territory.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
LSU would rebel against Chip in the same way that Michigan did against Rich Rod. They're just not used to seeing good offense...and that makes them afraid.

Chip's offense would work in the SEC, let's not kid ourselves. What he does isn't all that different than what some other schools have employed in the last few years there. Keep in mind, it's fundamentally a running offense.. but it's predicated in speed.. and there's plenty of speed there already.

The idea of battle at the line, run first offense, smash mouth SEC isn't true at all anymore.. teams run temp, teams run spread, teams score in bunches.

..but still LSU isn't really a great job in the end. Recruiting kids there is tougher than say USC, or Bama, or Oklahoma, or Texas... because you gotta live in Baton Rouge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom