• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 12 - Big 12 Championship Weekend Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

VRMN

That they're expected to lose to Nebraska, and that the media mostly expects the B1G East champ to beat them.

Yeah...I'm not sure what Vegas is doing on that line. And we'll see if Iowa isn't favored over MSU if that is indeed the match up, especially if Cook isn't healthy.

That they're expected to lose to Nebraska, and that the media mostly expects the B1G East champ to beat them.

Yeah...I'm not sure what Vegas is doing on that line. And we'll see if Iowa isn't favored over MSU if that is indeed the match up, especially if Cook isn't healthy.

Im leaning towards Nebraska in this game. Its the biggest of the year for Nebraska, at home, and against an undefeated team - they'll use that as motivation. They need to win to play in a bowl. Its a Friday game and non-Saturday games are upset friendly.

Iowa would like to win, but there isn't as much on line. There will be players with their minds on MSU and if there are any niggles to star players, Iowa will bench them immediately.

Im not of the opinion that Iowa needs to be undefeated B1G champ to make the playoff. I think they can lose this but win the championship game, they will have to be considered more highly than the Big 12 or Pac 12 champions.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Im leaning towards Nebraska in this game. Its the biggest of the year for Nebraska, at home, and against an undefeated team - they'll use that as motivation. They need to win to play in a bowl. Its a Friday game and non-Saturday games are upset friendly.

Iowa would like to win, but there isn't as much on line. There will be players with their minds on MSU and if there are any niggles to star players, Iowa will bench them immediately.

Im not of the opinion that Iowa needs to be undefeated B1G champ to make the playoff. I think they can lose this but win the championship game, they will have to be considered more highly than the Big 12 or Pac 12 champions.

I feel about the opposite here. Iowa has a playoff berth on the line, they aren't going to ho hum about a team that already has a big upset this year. For Nebraska the game isn't really any bigger than their MSU game previously. Which isn't to say they aren't going to come in trying to get another big win, but I don't think it's their "biggest game of the season."

I also don't think Iowa has enough respect to control their own destiny as 1 loss B1G champs. If they lose, assuming no other upsets, they are behind

Clemson
Bama/Florida
ND
Oklahoma/Okie State/Baylor

Edit: On second though, I don't know. If OU wins the B12 they are in over 1 loss Iowa. Iowa would probably get in over Baylor. Okie State might be a coin flip, but I think Iowa might get the edge just for winning a conference championship game.

andycapps

Some of the lines I am looking at putting some money on this week:

Texas Tech +1.5pts
Nebraska +2.5pts - Iowa will lose this, but will be competitive in the B1G championship game. This game has upset all over it IMO.
TCU +1.5pts
Ohio St +1.5pts (I was wrong, I was thinking theyd still open as favourites)
Georgia Tech +4.5pts - is this a rivalry game? If GT is ever going to beat Georgia, this is the week.
Oklahoma St +4.5pts- might be worthwhile if Mayfield is out....
Miss St +1pts
Notre Dame +3.5pts
Florida +2pts
TAM +5pts - is LSU ready to totally implode?

They call it "Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate" so yeah it's a rivalry game. Tech won last year when they went 11-3 (lost the previous 5 games, then the previous 7 before that win).

They're 3-8 this year, so if they lose this week, I think that would be one of the worst season to season record swings in history. That said, UGA has faced two option teams in a row, this will be the 3rd. Can be tough on defensive players playing through quite a bit of chop
cut
blocks for several weeks in a row. Richt has only lost to them twice, and neither time has been at Bobby-Dodd. I expect a pretty poor turnout at the stadium, though UGA fans typically travel well there because it's so close and because tickets are so plentiful. UGA fans are pretty down on Richt at the moment and on the performance in general, and with Tech's record being what it is I don't think many of their fans will fool with coming out.

Hard part with a defense like we have is that our pass rush is one of the strengths, but an option team doesn't pass much unless you get them in obvious passing situations like 3rd and long, or if they fall far behind in score and have to pass to catch up. Both are always keys. Minimize gains or get negative yardage on early downs, play "assignment football" where you do your role over and over and don't try to be a hero, then blitz the shit out of them on obvious passing downs.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Add syracuse to the pile of fired head coaches, Scott Shafer is out.

Yes, I too have never heard of Scott Shafer.

I've now typed the words Scott Shafer 3 times, the only times I will ever type them out in my life.

Add syracuse to the pile of fired head coaches, Scott Shafer is out.

Yes, I too have never heard of Scott Shafer.

I've now typed the words Scott Shafer 3 times, the only times I will ever type them out in my life.

Flood outlasts another coach.

For those who doubt that Flood is a good coach - look at his victory over Army.

We will go 5-7 facing the toughest schedule in the nation. MSU beating OSU just goes to show that the B1G is fierce.

WE WILL NOT BE DEFEATED. UNBROKEN. UNBENT. B1G FOOTBALL!

andycapps

Good luck paying that newly minted Saban buyout after Texas signs him.

:jnc

Or try at Jimbo which i consider both are a massive pipe dream.

No real reason for either of them to ever leave.

Jimbo to UGA would make more sense than Jimbo to LSU. SEC West is tougher now. This is a really bad year to fire a coach if you really don't need to. Not a lot of great available candidates out there, and a ton of openings. Lot of mid-major coaches will be getting a bump.

Purdue will be firing their coach pretty soon, I'm sure.

No shit I think UCF needs to go hard after him and at least try. Any way possible - I'm sure the handful of our boosters can find a way to make any offer competitive for someone like this. He can build on what GOL did for the next 6-8 years and ride off into the Florida sunset. Location makes it easier to recruit for and he gets to leave another legacy.

Where's my phone...

andycapps

Saban doesn't fuck around with buyouts.

Miles' buyout is $15 million, but the corn dogs are still trying to get rid of him. Saban's (from I've seen) is "no more than" $23.2 million.

Richt and UGA have gone the opposite route in lessening it every time the contract is renewed. Believe it's only a few million.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
This is a really bad year to fire a coach if you really don't need to. Not a lot of great available candidates out there, and a ton of openings. Lot of mid-major coaches will be getting a bump.

Somewhat related, I'll be interested to see just how badly TCU's offense is going to get gutted this offseason as far as coaches. They lose their QB, top RB, top two WR, and I think 4 of 5 starters on the OL (something like 7 or 8 out of the 10-man 2-deep). There's been speculation even before the season that their co-OCs (Meacham and Cumbie) would be looking for new jobs after this season, and the massive number of open jobs only strengthens that.

I would guess Meacham is gone for sure to be a head coach somewhere(maybe to Houston to fill the vacant Tom Herman spot, as that's where he was before TCU), and Cumbie will then depend on how much TCU wants to keep him (read: how much of a salary upgrade they offer him to be a sole OC). I know he wants to stay put for family reasons if he can, but if he gets the opportunity to be a head coach at a mid-major it may be pretty tough to turn down. I'm sure he's already applied for the UNT job.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Miles' buyout is $15 million, but the corn dogs are still trying to get rid of him. Saban's (from I've seen) is "no more than" $23.2 million.

Richt and UGA have gone the opposite route in lessening it every time the contract is renewed. Believe it's only a few million.
Saban has no buyout. He could leave or be fired and both parties just walk away.

Lonestar

Saban has no buyout. He could leave or be fired and both parties just walk away.

Yep, 9 years on the job with no buyout. Almost like there's some sort of trust between them
or yearly salary increases

cashman

Banned
Somewhat related, I'll be interested to see just how badly TCU's offense is going to get gutted this offseason as far as coaches. They lose their QB, top RB, top two WR, and I think 4 of 5 starters on the OL (something like 7 or 8 out of the 10-man 2-deep). There's been speculation even before the season that their co-OCs (Meacham and Cumbie) would be looking for new jobs after this season, and the massive number of open jobs only strengthens that.

I would guess Meacham is gone for sure to be a head coach somewhere(maybe to Houston to fill the vacant Tom Herman spot, as that's where he was before TCU), and Cumbie will then depend on how much TCU wants to keep him (read: how much of a salary upgrade they offer him to be a sole OC). I know he wants to stay put for family reasons if he can, but if he gets the opportunity to be a head coach at a mid-major it may be pretty tough to turn down. I'm sure he's already applied for the UNT job.
Even if Cumbie doesn't take a head coching position, there's already rumors that Texas will be after him to be the OC. Good look outpaying them for that.

andycapps

Really? Maybe the article I just read was an old one. If no buyout, Richt's is similar in that he can walk away owing no money to the school, and I believe the buyout if he were to get fired is relatively minimal. About one year's salary ($4.3 million I believe) this year, and then decreasing every remaining year of the contract.

Meier

Jimbo's been at FSU for longer than he was at LSU. He has no historical ties there other than the time as a coordinator/position coach. It really would make absolutely zero sense to leave FSU (and even less sense to leave for UGA) where he's absolutely set. Not to say it couldn't happen because you never say never, but it definitely would be a strange decision. I forgot LSU won the title back in the '07 season under Miles. God that was a horrible year of football.. look at these BCS matchups. Yikes.

BCS Title Game: #2 LSU #1 Ohio State 38–24
Rose Bowl: #7 Southern California #13 Illinois 49–17
Sugar Bowl: #5 Georgia #10 Hawaiʻi 41–10
Fiesta Bowl: #9 West Virginia #4 Oklahoma 48–28
Orange Bowl: #8 Kansas #3 Virginia Tech 24–21

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Really? Maybe the article I just read was an old one. If no buyout, Richt's is similar in that he can walk away owing no money to the school, and I believe the buyout if he were to get fired is relatively minimal. About one year's salary ($4.3 million I believe) this year, and then decreasing every remaining year of the contract.
https://www.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1348827
Once again, Nick Saban's contract has been extended.

Once again, some media members - not as many as in 2009, when Saban received his last raise and extension from UA, but a few talking heads - have breathlessly sounded the "No buyout!" alarm. A few have even acted as if the absence of a buyout clause is some sort of secret in Alabama, even though it has been an often-discussed issue since Saban arrived in Tuscaloosa in 2007, if only because of the "Saban is leaving" rumors that annually blossom and, so far, annually fail to bear fruit.

So, not to relive 2009, but to repeat: The absence of a buyout clause in Saban's contract isn't that much of an issue, certainly not one that was going to make it worthwhile for UA officials to go to the mattresses in a negotiating turf war.
2012, but nothing was changed with his new contract.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Even if Cumbie doesn't take a head coching position, there's already rumors that Texas will be after him to be the OC. Good look outpaying them for that.

I don't think that simply offering a higher number is going to get him away from where he is, it's likely going to either have to be significantly larger or have some other kind of assurances built in, eg the "come here as OC and you'll be the head coach in waiting" type stuff that I don't think you'll get at a major job like Texas.

andycapps

https://www.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1348827

2012, but nothing was changed with his new contract.

I was referring to this:

Saban, 62, had been scheduled to make about $5.5 million for the upcoming season under a deal that had been set to run through Jan. 31, 2020. Saban is now under contract through Jan. 31, 2022.

If Saban completes the re-structured deal, he will make a total at least $55.2 million. If Alabama terminates without cause prior to the end of the contract, it would owe him no more than about $23.3 million.

Draxal

Jimbo's been at FSU for longer than he was at LSU. He has no historical ties there other than the time as a coordinator/position coach. It really would make absolutely zero sense to leave FSU (and even less sense to leave for UGA) where he's absolutely set. Not to say it couldn't happen because you never say never, but it definitely would be a strange decision. I forgot LSU won the title back in the '07 season under Miles. God that was a horrible year of football.. look at these BCS matchups. Yikes.

BCS Title Game: #2 LSU #1 Ohio State 38–24
Rose Bowl: #7 Southern California #13 Illinois 49–17
Sugar Bowl: #5 Georgia #10 Hawaiʻi 41–10
Fiesta Bowl: #9 West Virginia #4 Oklahoma 48–28
Orange Bowl: #8 Kansas #3 Virginia Tech 24–21

Maybe, he wants to spread the love of walking around shirtless to the SEC, i'm pretty sure Cyan just tore up every shirt in his wardrobe.

Lonestar

I don't think that simply offering a higher number is going to get him away from where he is, it's likely going to either have to be significantly larger or have some other kind of assurances built in, eg the "come here as OC and you'll be the head coach in waiting" type stuff that I don't think you'll get at a major job like Texas.

Only chance Saban would go to TEJAS, is if they fired their entire athletic department, banned all boosters from ever talking to him or being involved in any decisions, and dismantle the LHN. On top of a mountain of money, of course.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Only chance Saban would go to TEJAS, is if they fired their entire athletic department, banned all boosters from ever talking to him or being involved in any decisions, and dismantle the LHN. On top of a mountain of money, of course.

Nothing in that post you quoted was about Saban.

Draxal

Apparently rumors that Mullen will go to Vtech, makes a lot of sense (he's from PA, and it's just an easier place to win their division).

Lonestar

Urbz defending Bumiel Smelliot, who will face no discipline. OSUn is right on schedule for Heart Problem City.

Ln9mxMX.gif

Sure, I guess they imply the "H" to be both H and I, but come on, they're spelling OHO.

OHO acronym is NOT taken.

andycapps

Urbz defending Bumiel Smelliot, who will face no discipline. OSUn is right on schedule for Heart Problem City.

Ln9mxMX.gif

Sure, I guess they imply the "H" to be both H and I, but come on, they're spelling OHO.

OHO acronym is NOT taken.

Urbz looked more like the fail cobra than anything else.

Lonestar

Reason why Flood's gone is not because of the record, it's because of the arrests/and you know he did the fucking homework for a kid and lied about it.

Presser 1:30.

Les is having a "special" meeting with his players today.

Pat Forde is also saying he'll most likely be fired by end of day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom