• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 12 - Big 12 Championship Weekend Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonm1010

Banned
Chip's offense would work in the SEC, let's not kid ourselves. What he does isn't all that different than what some other schools have employed in the last few years there. Keep in mind, it's fundamentally a running offense.. but it's predicated in speed.. and there's plenty of speed there already.

The idea of battle at the line, run first offense, smash mouth SEC isn't true at all anymore.. teams run temp, teams run spread, teams score in bunches.

..but still LSU isn't really a great job in the end. Recruiting kids there is tougher than say USC, or Bama, or Oklahoma, or Texas... because you gotta live in Baton Rouge.

Do you live in Louisiana? Honest question?

Louisiana has arguably(and I think objectively speaking) the most NFL talent of any state and no competing P5 schools in the state to worry about. There is a reason Saban sought out LSU to say he was interested in the job his first go round. He knew he could create a great pipeline and win a championship here. This was a state of incredible untapped potential.

Kids don't grow up dreaming to go to Bama or Ole Miss either. In fact they are more likely to want to go to LSU then any other SEC team. Baton Rouge is the heart of the fanbase but it reaches pretty strongly into New Orleans and surrounding areas with High School programs with lots of ties to the university. In fact my friend who works with their scouts said they have deep connections in pretty much every major high school program in the state.

LSU of the pre-Saban days is a non-starter. It was a different organization from top to bottom. And not in a good way.

LSU is putting the finishing touches on facilities that will rank them as nearly as good or better then any other major school in the country. They have one of the biggest if not the biggest payrolls. Boosters out the ass and of course that pipeline infrastructure. That stuff just doesnt disappear when Miles leaves. Im still mixed on the possible Miles firing and it certainly has some major risks with it but make no mistake it will be a good job.

cashman

Banned
In addition LSU's footprint extends into southeast Texas and there are still displaced katrina families living in the major cities in Texas.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah, I think Louisiana, per capita, has the most NFL players. With 5 other Southern States in the top 10 (South Carolina, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia)

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2014/09/louisiana_has_the_most_players.html

Chip would have to attempt to keep the same type of Defensive Front LSU is known for, as well as go slightly slower and bigger. Too many good defensive lines would obliterate what Oregon tried to do with smaller, faster O-lines (thinking back on LSU/Auburn against those Oregon teams).

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yeah, I think Louisiana, per capita, has the most NFL players. With 5 other Southern States in the top 10 (South Carolina, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia)

Chip would have to attempt to keep the same type of Defensive Front LSU is known for, as well as go slightly slower and bigger. Too many good defensive lines would obliterate what Oregon tried to do with smaller, faster O-lines (thinking back on LSU/Auburn against those Oregon teams).

Per capita seems irrelevant.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

It's not. Means there's more interesting High School Football programs, leading to more talent being ready for the next step. There's a 1 in 76k person ratio in Louisiana, compared to a 1 in 94k person ration in Florida. That's almost 20,000 people difference.

Alabama has gotten a fair share of recruits from that state the last few years, and a very high % of them have turned into big time players for us.

Jonm1010

Banned

I agree actually. To an extent. Maybe not totally irrelevant but certainly dampens my original thought.

Still I think the point about the strength of their pipeline with no direct competitors is a critical point.

Also the quality factor of the talent.

Louisiana seems to be graduating some really good, high quality talent every single year. And I would argue that is in spite of Miles generally doing a poor job developing and utilizing the talent he gets and more talent then should leaving the state..

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.

I know the state makes good football players, just harder to get kids outside the south to come.

..but as far as the O-Line at Oregon.. a lot of that was because it was what he could get. The O-Line has been a problem at Oregon for years, and he worked the offense around that inefficiency as well. There's no logic that a bigger, stronger, and slower O-Line is going to destroy what Chip does on offense.

Not enough shoulders on the team to carry all these chips!

I guess Vegas folks are not expecting Cook to play unless Dantonio confirms otherwise.

Cook shouldn't play unless Penn State goes HAM. But after watching Hackenburg at the end of the Regular Michigan game, I wouldn't count on much of a battle. He looked done.

reKon

Banned
Cook shouldn't play unless Penn State goes HAM. But after watching Hackenburg at the end of the Regular Michigan game, I wouldn't count on much of a battle. He looked done.

D needs to keep up their performance and I don't see this game being too big of an issue. I hope Hackenburg makes it though lol. I always see dude getting destroyed

andycapps

Do you live in Louisiana? Honest question?

Louisiana has arguably(and I think objectively speaking) the most NFL talent of any state and no competing P5 schools in the state to worry about. There is a reason Saban sought out LSU to say he was interested in the job his first go round. He knew he could create a great pipeline and win a championship here. This was a state of incredible untapped potential.

Kids don't grow up dreaming to go to Bama or Ole Miss either. In fact they are more likely to want to go to LSU then any other SEC team. Baton Rouge is the heart of the fanbase but it reaches pretty strongly into New Orleans and surrounding areas with High School programs with lots of ties to the university. In fact my friend who works with their scouts said they have deep connections in pretty much every major high school program in the state.

LSU of the pre-Saban days is a non-starter. It was a different organization from top to bottom. And not in a good way.

LSU is putting the finishing touches on facilities that will rank them as nearly as good or better then any other major school in the country. They have one of the biggest if not the biggest payrolls. Boosters out the ass and of course that pipeline infrastructure. That stuff just doesnt disappear when Miles leaves. Im still mixed on the possible Miles firing and it certainly has some major risks with it but make no mistake it will be a good job.
Kelly would probably do pretty well. Really, a run first offense is what Malzahn does at Auburn. The HUNH is great when it works. When it doesn't, you fuck your defense when you go 3 and out and put them out there over and over. Kelly has some experience doing that when he goes up against a physical defense. So I agree with another poster, he'd have to adapt his offense to be speed plus power.

I think Jimbo Fischer is their target. When answering questions about moving to LSU, he didn't deny it but he said it would be disrespectful to comment on it.

Someone has definitely talked to him IMO.

They are not going to spend $15m to remove a coach unless they are going to get a proven high profile coach in his place. Jimbo is a better fit for them than Kelly too.

Dsyndrome

So they're going to significantly beat Jimbo's current $5.15 million/year AND pay out Miles' contract? I want some of that lucrative booster money, then get paid out when I get fired.

JCX

Yeah my thoughts too, no need to risk Cook if he isn't 100%. Save him for the CCG.

So they're going to significantly beat Jimbo's current $5.15 million/year AND pay out Miles' contract? I want some of that lucrative booster money, then get paid out when I get fired.

Yes. Boosters have already agreed to pay the $20m to buy out Les and his staff. http://espn.go.com/ncf/story/_/id/14204487/good-possibility-lsu-tigers-buy-les-miles-contract-source

FSU required $5m to be paid if Fisher leaves early.

Les is paid around $4.3m a year and Fisher is around $5m.

So for LSU, the cost will really only be $5m plus whatever they offer Fisher.

Man, I cant believe the money boosters are willing to pay just to get rid of Miles too, but I think the financial side of ousting Miles for Fisher is definitely feasible.

I don't buy Jimbo moving to LSU, not happening.

Why not? He's done all he can at FSU. He can head coach in the SEC (this is a major drawcard to many coaches) and at a decent school which is a national championship contender. Plus the recruiting prospects are great, pay will be great, playing at over 100k stadium. And coaching at a school he has already been.

EDIT: also one point which I forgot about - if fisher coaches LSU, he gets to coach against Saban each year. He would love that challenge.

Im mean these are Fisher's latest comments:

"I have no comment on that. I have a policy: I don't speak about jobs. It's unfair to the players that are there, the players that are here, the coaches there and here," Fisher said. "And there's no job opening [at LSU], so I have no comment on that. I'm not going to comment on any job in any way, shape or form."

"I don't ever want to speak [about openings] because I think it's so unprofessional and disrespectful to do those things," Fisher said. "And if someone asks you in recruiting, to me, I look at it as a positive. It means we're doing things right, people like what we're doing, encouraged by what we're doing, think we have the right folks. And then you ask a recruit, 'The other schools recruiting you, nobody wants their coach? Maybe if somebody wants [to hire Fisher], then you're coming to a good place.'"

http://espn.go.com/ncf/story/_/id/1...bo-fisher-says-unfair-discuss-lsu-speculation

What a long and complicated way to deny is a candidate for the job. He even says that its a positive with recruits i.e. he's already thought about what it would mean to his current recruits.

Why not? He's done all he can at FSU. He can head coach in the SEC (this is a major drawcard to many coaches) and at a decent school which is a national championship contender. Plus the recruiting prospects are great, pay will be great, playing at over 100k stadium. And coaching at a school he has already been.

Jimbo can do what Jimbo wants to do, but he's already at a decent school that is a national championship contender with an easier road.

In the ACC, he just needs to worry about Clemson and whoever comes out of the ACC Coastal (when his team is good enough). At LSU, he'd have to deal with basically the entire SEC West and then the whatever from the east in the CCG.

Sure, an SEC team will have a little more margin for error than an ACC school in the eyes of the committee, but an SEC team will also have much more possibility of error, too.

Jimbo can do what Jimbo wants to do, but he's already at a decent school that is a national championship contender with an easier road.

In the ACC, he just needs to worry about Clemson and whoever comes out of the ACC Coastal (when his team is good enough). At LSU, he'd have to deal with basically the entire SEC West and then the whatever from the east in the CCG.

Sure, an SEC team will have a little more margin for error than an ACC school in the eyes of the committee, but an SEC team will also have much more possibility of error, too.

I would agree with you if he hadn't won a NC with FSU.

However, given he has an NC in the pocket already, I would think a competitive coach like Fisher would want to continually challenge himself. He can do that by moving to LSU. By staying at FSU, he is not challenging himself anymore.

squicken

YChip would have to attempt to keep the same type of Defensive Front LSU is known for, as well as go slightly slower and bigger. Too many good defensive lines would obliterate what Oregon tried to do with smaller, faster O-lines (thinking back on LSU/Auburn against those Oregon teams).

Miles kept lining up and trying to out-Bama Alabama. How many years going and he never adjusted his offense? If Chip goes anywhere it is USC, but I am not as sold as everyone else on Miles being fired as the worst thing ever. If he won't adjust his offense then he has to go.

DominoKid

I would agree with you if he hadn't won a NC with FSU.

However, given he has an NC in the pocket already, I would think a competitive coach like Fisher would want to continually challenge himself. He can do that by moving to LSU. By staying at FSU, he is not challenging himself anymore.

you dont see any challenge in building a program thats dominant for a generation?

Dsyndrome

Don't remember seeing it earlier:
Beamer suspends Nicolas for half after contact with referee
daddy-nicolas-smacks-ref.gif

Draconian

Miles kept lining up and trying to out-Bama Alabama. How many years going and he never adjusted his offense? If Chip goes anywhere it is USC, but I am not as sold as everyone else on Miles being fired as the worst thing ever. If he won't adjust his offense then he has to go.

I really don't think that's the problem. If Les had somebody at the QB position who could actually make plays when called upon, then nobody would be asking him to adjust his offense in the first place. For as much flak as he got when he was there (and deservedly so), Jordan Jefferson could do that. Les hasn't found anybody since. Granted, it's his own fault, but if you add this to them having a boatload of players leave early every year, well, it's hard to imagine attaining anything beyond a 10 win season. If he found a half decent QB and was able to retain a larger percentage of the players thinking about going pro, his system would be just fine.

So for this weeks Baylor/TCU matchup, it looks like Boykin for TCU will be healthy enough to start, but Stidham for Baylor wont

Chip Brown:
I'm hearing #Baylor QB Jarrett Stidham has a broken ankle/fibula and will miss the rest of the season.

So TCU will roll with their starting QB while Baylor will most likely be using their 3rd string QB for this weeks matchup

Damn. I thought he had a shot if they somehow made the Rose Bowl.

Pat Haden apparently really wants/wanted him to win the job, since his track record in hiring coaches isn't great so far and he'd love for it to sort itself out. But USC fans and boosters aren't going to be happy with anything less than a great hire at this point. The sanctions are finally over and they'll be able to have a full roster next year IIRC. It's time.

you dont see any challenge in building a program thats dominant for a generation?

Being a national championship winning coach at two schools is more challenging than dominating the ACC with FSU.

Being a dominant team in the sec is more challenging than being a dominant team in the ACC.

squicken

I really don't think that's the problem. If Les had somebody at the QB position who could actually make plays when called upon, then nobody would be asking him to adjust his offense in the first place. For as much flak as he got when he was there (and deservedly so), Jordan Jefferson could do that. Les hasn't found anybody since. Granted, it's his own fault, but if you add this to them having a boatload of players leave early every year, well, it's hard to imagine attaining anything beyond a 10 win season. If he found a half decent QB and was able to retain a larger percentage of the players thinking about going pro, his system would be just fine.

It's not like Saban is rolling out great QBs either. I see your point, but I think that Cam Cameron is awful, and if Les won't fire him, then there's no choice

Next Saturday, we'll all be too busy pulling for the Wolverines.

Et tu randy? Et tu?

Remember the last time you did that. Duke got screwed over against Miami.. Something bad could happen to Duke on the basketball court even by cheering for evil. I know Ohio state is a villain. I understand that, but cheering for Michigan.. Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom