• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 13 - Sparty ain't worried 'bout no clock

Crazy to think about the difference between Alabama and Ohio State right now.

Ohio State is in a conference where losing one conference game eliminates you from the playoff and the conference title. B1G is really good this year.

On the other hand, Alabama has a conference loss but benefits from having no other great team in their division.

So the weakness of the SEC and strength of the B1G leaves one team out of the picture and the other in the drivers seat.

Who would have thought that at the beginning of the year Bama is blessed for playing in a mediocre conference?

andycapps

Ohio State is in a conference where losing one conference game eliminates you from the playoff and the conference title. B1G is really good this year.

On the other hand, Alabama has a conference loss but benefits from having no other great team in their division.

So the weakness of the SEC and strength of the B1G leaves one team out of the picture and the other in the drivers seat.

Who would have thought that at the beginning of the year Bama is blessed for playing in a mediocre conference?
Well that's one way of looking at it.

UGA defensive coaches are tweeting this tonight, as well as a message to keep Pruitt.

z4O0RwWh.jpg

Balphon

You realize there's a team in the Big 10 with a conference loss that's playing for the title, right?

Is my satire detector broken?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

Yeah, losing that one conference game really ruined Michigan State's chances this year...

The equivalent of Michigan State (the team that beat ohio state) for Alabama is Ole Miss, a team that lost to mid major Memphis and two conference games.

Alabama is very fortunate to play in a mediocre conference where you don't have 3 great teams at the top like the B1G.

All you have to do is look at the coaching situation. Richt fired from Georgia, Miles fired from LSU, Muschamp was fired from Florida. Three staples of the conference all went through or now will be going through a transitional period.

andycapps

The equivalent of Michigan State (the team that beat ohio state) for Alabama is Ole Miss, a team that lost to mid major Memphis and two conference games.

Alabama is very fortunate to play in a mediocre conference where you don't have 3 great teams at the top like the B1G.

All you have to do is look at the coaching situation. Richt fired from Georgia, Miles fired from LSU, Muschamp was fired from Florida. Three staples of the conference all went through or now will be going through a transitional period.

Gettung all uppity and shit aren't you?

In what universe did Miles get fired from LSU? Granted, that was their plan but it was so hamfisted that their AD changed his mind after it leaked a week in advance and media attention brought overwhelming negativity to him and he backed down.

mre

But nothing you just said meshes up with what you said here:
Ohio State is in a conference where losing one conference game eliminates you from the playoff and the conference title.
Which is clearly just wrong.

Ohio State was one successful Michigan punt away from playing for a conference championship with 1 loss.
Some low-tier trolling from the junior.
He's just saying what bert and bucknuticus are thinking.

The fact still remains

Ohio State with one conference loss - out

Alabama with one conference loss - in

Only difference? B1G has a 2nd team worth a damn. And a third for that mater.

It's not that Alabama plays in a mediocre division. The Pac 12 is just so deep this year, that no team could escape unfounded to make the CFP. The teams are just so versatile.

mre

The fact still remains

Ohio State with one conference loss - out

Alabama with one conference loss - in

Only difference? B1G has a 2nd team worth a damn. And a third for that mater.
Oh, get fucked.

The fact still remains that MSU with one conference loss - in.

But, hey, Cowherd agrees with you, so you're in great company:
Cowherd said:
Turned in my playoff top 4 to @FOXSports. 1.Clemson 2. Oklahoma 3. Michigan St 4. Ohio State. SEC is an overrated mess. Sorry Bama.

andycapps

The stupid thing about this trollish argument is that tOSU didn't even win their division. Like it or not Herbie campaigned against UGA in 2007 for not winning the conference and cost us an appearance in the MNC (Richt would probably still have his job today too).

Major difference between Bama and tOSU is that Bama won their division and is steamrolling everyone lately. tOSU lost at home, and looked awful doing so. And they didn't win their division as a result.

The stupid thing about this trollish argument is that tOSU didn't even win their division. Like it or not Herbie campaigned against UGA in 2007 for not winning the conference and cost us an appearance in the MNC (Richt would probably still have his job today too).

Major difference between Bama and tOSU is that Bama won their division and is steamrolling everyone lately. tOSU lost at home, and looked awful doing so. And they didn't win their division as a result.

truth

And Ohio State didn't win their division because.....there was another great team in said division.

Which was my initial point and post. Alabama is fortunate that the SEC West has no second great team, that their 2nd best team lost to Memphis.

That is the only difference between Alabama and Ohio State.

Ohio State plays in the tougher division and conference. Who would have thought that at the beginning of the year?

andycapps

And Ohio State didn't win their division because.....there was another great team in said division.

Which was my initial point and post. Alabama is fortunate that the SEC West has no second great team, that their 2nd best team lost to Memphis.

Ohio State plays in the tougher division and conference. Who would have thought that at the beginning of the year?

Do you want a participation trophy or something?

I'm just making an observation that I find interesting, considering how "awful" the B1G was perceived to be not so long ago. How quickly reality changes from perception. The only reason the Buckeyes are out and Alabama is in is the general weakness of the SEC West as a whole (a division compared to the NFC North last year by ESPN) and the strength of the B1G.

Am I really the only one who finds this funny?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
OSUn played nobody on the opposite division, and Indiana, Rutgers and Maryland are all at .500 or worse.

Alabama has played 2 of the top 3 of the East (both above .500) and is about to play the #1 east team, and in-division, there are 4 other 8+ win teams, Arky with 7, and only Auburn is at .500.

The only worthwhile OOC games both teams played, were Alabama playing 9-3 Wisconsin (who OSUn didn't play) and OSUn playing 6-6 VT.

OSUn just didn't play a very good schedule (and played down to their competition too many times).

Alabama played 4 more winning teams than OSUn did.

OSUn knows from last year that losing early is better than losing late.

mre

No, your point was that the B1G is so tough that just one single, solitary loss eliminates you from contention for a championship. But you continue to ignore the fact that the team representing OSU's division in the B1G championship game has a loss.
The only reason the Buckeyes are out and Alabama is in is the general weakness of the SEC West as a whole (a division compared to the NFC North last year by ESPN) and the strength of the B1G.
Your critical thinking skills are severely lacking if you think this is the difference between the Buckeyes being out and Alabama being in.

OSUn played nobody on the opposite division, and Indiana, Rutgers and Maryland are all at .500 or worse.

Alabama has played 2 of the top 3 of the East (both above .500) and is about to play the #1 east team, and in-division, there are 4 other 8+ win teams, Arky with 7, and only Auburn is at .500.

The only worthwhile OOC games both teams played, were Alabama playing 9-3 Wisconsin (who OSUn didn't play) and OSUn playing 6-6 VT.

OSUn just didn't play a very good schedule (and played down to their competition too many times).

Alabama played 4 more winning teams than OSUn did.

OSUn knows from last year that losing early is better than losing late.

None of this changes the fact the only reason Ohio State is the one on the outside looking in is because the team that beat them didn't lay an egg in two other conference games this year.

Alabama is very fortunate.

Lonestar

The top 4 teams of the B1G (Iowa, MSUn, OSUn, and Michigan), all played the cellar dwellars of the opposite division (except for Michigan, who played Northwestern).

I can't believe people are legit responding to some random troll who showed up today and has no solid argument.
don't worry, I've already built up stat lines from the usual troll fighting at other boards.

No, your point was that the B1G is so tough that just one single, solitary loss eliminates you from contention for a championship. But you continue to ignore the fact that the team representing OSU's division in the B1G championship game has a loss.

Your critical thinking skills are severely lacking if you think this is the difference between the Buckeyes being out and Alabama being in.

Agreed. I know Ole Miss slipped up after their win against Alabama, but if Ole Miss finished 11-1 along with 11-1 Alabama, Ole Miss would be in national championship contention while Alabama would not because they wouldn't be playing for a division title.

What is actually funny about this to me is an tOSU fan riding the coattails of MSU.

What about all the FSU fans who said after the loss to Clemson "Congrats Clemson, no go win the rest of em"

mre

what are "facts" how do they work what the fuck are magnets
Maybe Ohio State should talk more about how they completely shit the bed on offense against Michigan State.
It's a testament to the strength of the B1G that the mighty OSU offense was held to a mere 132 yards. Bama would have been lucky to crack 50.

Think of it this way.

Two plays separate Alabama and Ohio State and they are both plays neither team were involved in.

Arkansas's wacky lateral play that worked and beat Ole Miss
Michigan State's wacky last second victory over Michigan on a blocked punt return.

I'm not sure why this is trolling? I go to Pepperdine and my school doesn't have a football team so I have no horse in this race.

Well that is another thing Alabama greatly benefits from.

Alabama is meeting a team that was shut out on offense against FSU this past week. A team that struggled with FAU and Vanderbilt the past few weeks.

The winner of the division Ohio State is in has to play undefeated Iowa.

Again, very fortunate.

Draconian

It's like some people had amnesia and forgot about tOSU looking pathetic and getting beat a week ago. Not 6 games ago. A week ago.

Also, saying the SEC West is weak while ignoring the entire division's going to a bowl game and conveniently looking over Rutgers and Maryland in the B1G East makes little sense.

Lonestar

Agreed. I know Ole Miss slipped up after their win against Alabama, but if Ole Miss finished 11-1 along with 11-1 Alabama, Ole Miss would be in national championship contention while Alabama would not because they wouldn't be playing for a division title.

What about all the FSU fans who said after the loss to Clemson "Congrats Clemson, no go win the rest of em"

Perhaps, though they already had Alabama at 4 before Ole Miss lost to Arkansas, before Alabama had control of it's own destiny. Maybe they move them around randomly like they've done with other teams (ND), maybe they don't.

An undefeated Iowa who has played 3 teams with winning records.

andycapps

It's like some people had amnesia and forgot about tOSU looking pathetic and getting beat a week ago.

Also, saying the SEC West is weak while ignoring the entire division's going to a bowl game and conveniently looking over Rutgers and Maryland in the B1G East makes little sense.
To be fair, most people probably forget about Rutgers and Maryland being in the B1G.

Iowa will get blown the fuck out by Sparty in the B1G title game and then go 7-6 next year.

But Ferentz will have done enough to get his 20-year, $2B extension and win his 15th B1G Coach of the Year Award.

Draconian

Iowa will get blown the fuck out by Sparty in the B1G title game and then go 7-6 next year.

But Ferentz will have done enough to get his 20-year, $2B extension and win his 15th B1G Coach of the Year Award.

There's nothing as hilarious to me in these threads as the tOSU fans' saltiness over a meaningless award for a coach.

Top Bottom