• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week Ten Thread: Unranked Miami Upends Ranked Duke

squicken

I keep seeing OU propped up as possible 2015 Ohio State. OU lost to Texas! Shutout by Iowa State, Texas. Baylor is the team in the Big12 with the defensive losses to TCU

pxleyes

Banned
Florida's best win over No. 18
Alabama's best win over No. 19
Florida's loss to No. 2
Alabama's loss to No. 18

Bama 4th
Florida 10th

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I see NCAA remains incredibly rigged. What a hilarious ranking.

So rankings overall is bs by that logic.

Honestly, I don't think they're much better than us. We both beat the same teams so far.

So a team like auburn who was top 10 first few weeks we should continue to say well they were 6 when so and so beat them.

Get real

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So rankings overall is bs by that logic.

Honestly, I don't think they're much better than us. We both beat the same teams so far.

You have no running game. Your qb play is weak/weakened and most of the pressure is on one receiver. Your defense is a wash against Bama.

Derrick (whoops) Henry alone makes them the better team. Your offense is just so mediocre so far.

You're a good team, but I think Alabama wins at least 7/10 times.

El_Chino

So a team like auburn who was top 19 first few weeks we should continue to say well they were 6 when so and so beat them.

Get real
Things change with time we know this, it still counts for something. Ohio state lost to am unranked Virginia Tech and still managed to get in somehow when one could argue it should've been Baylor of TCU.

You have no running game. Your qb play is weak/weakened and most of the pressure is on one receiver. Your defense is a wash against Bama.

Travis Henry alone makes them the better team. Your offense is just so mediocre so far.

You're a good team, but I think Alabama wins at least 7/10 times.

Our defense is a wash? Sure buddy.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Things change with time we know this, it still counts for something. Ohio state lost to am unranked Virginia Tech and still managed to get in somehow when one could argue it should've been Baylor of TCU.

Our defense is a wash? Sure buddy.

Your defense is a wash against Bama. Meaning your defenses cancel each other out, no advantage either way.

I keep seeing OU propped up as possible 2015 Ohio State. OU lost to Texas! Shutout by Iowa State, Texas. Baylor is the team in the Big12 with the defensive losses to TCU

If OU wins out I don't think they get in, but I DO think they have a really good chance to win out as they are just a way more balanced team than Baylor or TCU and have looked stronger than both coming off their loss to Texas.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So:

Win out and get in. That's nice. Hope it happens.

Also, seems like someone recognizes the SOS factor, as well as the fluky loss to Ole Miss (not even getting to the turnovers and bad ref'ing, just the UGA/AU-esque bounce pass touchdown is a difference between winning and losing). Things like that apparently matter, looking at Michigan State (Michigan snatched defeat from the jaws of victory). TCU/Baylor ruined by OOC games.

Florida's best win over No. 18
Alabama's best win over No. 19
Florida's loss to No. 2
Alabama's loss to No. 18

Bama 4th
Florida 10th

Florida also has 0 quality OOC games played so far, played a Chubb'less (and wrecked) UGA, Arkansas and A&M are better than Kentucky and Missouri.

Can't be said enough, shit will get sorted this weekend. Alabama loses, and they're out for this year, period. They beat LSU, and then your whole statement is wrecked.

Quake1028

As of this moment there is no position that a reasonable person who is not a homer can defend that has Bama ranked 4th. It's beyond absurd.

Karl2177

The current body of work thing is just stupid as hell, especially when you have shit like Alabama being higher than Florida. We watched Alabama squander against Ole Miss for 3 quarters, while Florida was in control over Ole Miss the entire game.

AP>CFB

Lonestar

Best I could tell, figure the team that could be #4 is, ugh...ND.

Baylor and TCU have played No One. Once one of them clears Okie State, Oklahoma, and each other, then they have a chance to sneak in.

The Danger Zone is what happens if Alabama beats LSU, and both teams win out...

Quake1028

Baylor and TCU have played No One. Once one of them clears Okie State, Oklahoma, and each other, then they have a chance to sneak in.

It would be the most sec sec sec thing ever if a team that didn't win its own division got in when Baylor won their conference last year and got snubbed.

ag-my001

We saw last year how one game could change the rankings in one week. I'm not concerned with placements in the first ranking.

otakukidd

They can win out. But I don't see them going if they don't go to their conference championship game.

Obviously the rankings will change in a week.

With that in mind, it's a pretty transparent and pathetic way to hype an upcoming game by ranking a team higher than they should be ranked.

Lonestar

Obviously the rankings will change in a week.

With that in mind, it's a pretty transparent and pathetic way to hype an upcoming game by ranking a team higher than they should be ranked.

I said as much on another board that's melting down at the Overwhelming slap in the face Florida got.

Is GAF so lacking in comprehension that they don't see the committee setting up upcoming games that will destroy their own polls, EXACTLY like last year?

Denali

Time to fall flat on our faces. What a time to be alive!

Between this and that huge spread that got put out, I think we're being set up
FOR THE TITLE OF WORLD CHAMPIONS

I'm thinking about doubling up on the ole beta blocker come Saturday. This one might kill me.

College Football Playoff Committee chairman Jeff Long said Baylor and TCU were among the toughest teams to evaluate simply because of their strength of schedule.

SoS (so far):

36. TCU
47. tOSU
54. Baylor

Ummmm..... What am I missing?

THIS WEEK'S BONUS/TIE BREAKER IS TO PICK THE NUMBER OF TOTAL TDs BY THE SELECTED TEAMS' OFFENSES!
BONUS (Total # of TDs by the offenses of the below teams) - 16
Bonus Teams: Georgia, North Texas, Tulane, Kansas, Hawaii, Vanderbilt, Miami (Ohio), Missouri, Boston College and Oregon State. HINT: http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/...09/sort01.html

Thursday
Baylor (-17.5) v. KSU COVER

Saturday
Notre Dame (-9.5) v. Pitt COVER
Duke v. UNC (-7.5) NO COVER
Stanford (-16.5) v. Colorado COVER
Florida State v. Clemson (-13.5) COVER
Arkansas v. Mississippi (-14.5) NO COVER
Rutgers v. Michigan (-26.5) NO COVER
Minnesota v. Ohio State (-23.5) COVER
Kansas v. Texas (-21.5) COVER
Cal v. Oregon (-3.5) NO COVER

Jhriad

SoS (so far):

36. TCU
47. tOSU
54. Baylor

Ummmm..... What am I missing?

One of those three gets the benefit of the doubt because it won the national title. The defending champ always get the benefit of the doubt until they start losing. That's just the nature of college football rankings. It's the same reason Florida State was ranked so highly despite looking like shit the year after they won.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know that I agree with Bama being at 4 right now, but that has nothing to do with the fluky Ole Miss loss and everything to do with eye test.

One of those three gets the benefit of the doubt because it won the national title. The defending champ always get the benefit of the doubt until they start losing. That's just the nature of college football rankings. It's the same reason Florida State was ranked so highly despite looking like shit the year after they won.

You realize we're talking about the committee that at one point shoved them all the way down to #4 behind 3 1-loss teams right?

BONUS (Total # of TDs by the offenses of the below teams) -
Bonus Teams: Georgia, North Texas, Tulane, Kansas, Hawaii, Vanderbilt, Miami (Ohio), Missouri, Boston College and Oregon State. 25TDs

Thursday
Baylor (-17.5) v. KSU - No Cover

Saturday
Notre Dame (-9.5) v. Pitt - Cover
Duke v. UNC (-7.5) - No Cover
Stanford (-16.5) v. Colorado - Cover
Florida State v. Clemson (-13.5) - No Cover
Arkansas v. Mississippi (-14.5) - Cover
Rutgers v. Michigan (-26.5) - No Cover
Minnesota v. Ohio State (-23.5) - No Cover
Kansas v. Texas (-21.5) - No Cover
Cal v. Oregon (-3.5) - No Cover

El_Chino

ESPN asked Committee chairman why is Alabama ranked higher than Florida if Florida beat Alabama's loss. Goes on about quality wins but ends up saying "Even though they're ranked 6 teams apart, they're much closer than you think." I'm still confused.

Top Bottom