• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Combine Two Games to Make A Better Game

Matlock

Banned
Sea Manky said:
Yes, that would be exactly it, except that it's missing the whole Dynasty Warriors part. You know, where you run around and hit people yourself during the battles? Don't be dense.

The "I'M HITTING PEOPLE" action isn't really all there in a RTS, dude.

Chipopo

Banned
Zelda + Animal Crossing

Imagine a main Zelda quest that was perfectly traditional. Then add villages that acted much like the one in Animal Crossing...including your very own customizable home. People send you letters, there are holidays, the weather corresponds to real time, etc. etc. You can hunt in dungeons for rupees...or you could take the far more benign root of catching bugs and fishing (Hell, they could just throw in the OoT minigame with a boatload more fish that changed with the weather). The potential for sidequests could be far more elaborate and far FAR more rewarding then either Animal Crossing or Zelda could muster as they are now. Imagine a sidequest that required the culmination of different events that took place over an entire year.

None of this would really have an effect on the main quest. But imagine exploring hyrule field, on your way to your third dungeon, and spotting a caravan of horses that are only going to be around for that one day. It would really paint Hyrule as something that breathes; one of the best aspects of Majoras Mask incidentally. If a game like this were to be made (Obviously not holding my breath), it would be in the hopes that people would continue to play long, llooonnnggg after they've beaten the game.

Tomb Raider I + Diablo II

Take away the guns of Tomb Raider, add in multiplayer online play, and actually help each other explore, climb, and navigate huge environments while hacking and slashing. I want this...

Pachinko

Bad ideas-

Super mario Prime- FPS mario game
Guilty Meastro XX- A rythm game in which you do DDR style crap to guilty gear music

Good ideas-

Viewtiful fighter- a 2 player fighting game lwith viewtiful joe style quirks

User 406

Banned
Matlock said:
The "I'M HITTING PEOPLE" action isn't really all there in a RTS, dude.
BANGHEAD.GIF

My original post:

Sea Manky said:
Dynasty Warriors + a turn based strategy wargame (Of course, Dynasty Warriors: Empires is already taking a step in this direction. ^_^)
Sea Manky said:
Dynasty Warriors + a turn based strategy wargame
Sea Manky said:
turn based strategy
Sea Manky said:
turn based

So picture a TURN BASED strategy war game like, say Romance of the Three Kingdoms, only when two armies meet, a DYNASTY WARRIORS style battle occurs, complete with up close and personal sword swinging action. See, the addition of that realtime battle component to the fully fleshed out strategy component is what I'd like to see if I could

Flynn said:
Combine Two Games to Make A Better Game
which is what the topic is ABOUT.

Matlock

Banned
A typo on my part, I shoulda typed TBS. :p

And you never defined the change of gameplay, which would be essential in a topic where most of the posts are "let's combine the themes of these games!" :p

Ar_

LakeEarth said:
Easy. Eternal Darkwing Duck.

Gets crushed by an anvil (flash)

"THIS... ISN'T... HAPPENING!!"

Gets crushed by another anvil

GOTY! I want this one badly.

Lets see, my suggestion is:
Final Action Replay Fantasy
Combine FF with the cheat codes to remove the sucktastic random battles. Mmm, I might play some Action Koudelka Replay now.

More seriously, Ever Unreal Quest 2004, the MMORPG with no timesinks and auto attack. You may call it Dynasty Quest if you like melee classes. Sprinkled with some good variety of tactically useful skills and strategy requirements for the big PvE mobs. And PvP.
THE DEFINITIVE GAME! Almost.

And of course, even if is not a game, MircTorrent. Mirc + Bittorrent protocol for fserve = the uber HARRRR tool.

What about Ultima 7 + Silent Hill?

DW + Board game is good idea.
Id also like a seamless gameplay integration, something like DW + RPG + RTS. DW + Celtic Wars would be a good definition, also for the different ambientation.

Razoric

Banned
Warcraft III (gameplay mix, cutscenes, story, world) -> Final Fantasy (length of cutscenes, gameplay mix, minigames, full-fledged 60+ hour RPG)

:D

FightyF

Banned
Halo + GTA 3

It's as simple as making GTA 3 control like an FPS game. And turning the main character into Master Cheif. He would own Liberty City.

Pokémon + Final Fantasy Tactics
OK... so this would actually have a fair chance of not being better than the original games, but it would be a great complement. Instead of carrying around 6 Pokémon and only using 1 or 2 at a time, get the whole group fighting on a grid. Could be a Stadium-esque companion game to a portable title.

River City Ransom + Grand Theft Auto III
GTA3 is the closest a game has come to bringing the goofiness, nonlinear world, and just plain mess-around factors of RCR to the 3D stage. Basically add RCR-esque fighting system and upgrades to a GTA 3D world, and I'd buy it for a dollar.

Flynn

JoshuaJSlone said:
Pokémon + Final Fantasy Tactics
OK... so this would actually have a fair chance of not being better than the original games, but it would be a great complement. Instead of carrying around 6 Pokémon and only using 1 or 2 at a time, get the whole group fighting on a grid. Could be a Stadium-esque companion game to a portable title.

River City Ransom + Grand Theft Auto III
GTA3 is the closest a game has come to bringing the goofiness, nonlinear world, and just plain mess-around factors of RCR to the 3D stage. Basically add RCR-esque fighting system and upgrades to a GTA 3D world, and I'd buy it for a dollar.

I always wanted to see Pokemon + Street Fighter or Pokemon + Super Smash Brothers

Penguin

The Legends of Zelda: Knights of the Old Republic

A prequel that predates all of the Zelda games, you will play as the Sages who must choose between the side of good and evil. One of them would be Ganon.

Kingdom Hearts: Mario Edition

The gameplay of Kingdom Hearts. Casts and worlds from Different Nintendo games. Imagine Mario and Link teaming up or Mario and Samus.

Bob White

Smash Brothers + Power Stone = Super Power Smashers!

DDR + Seaman = Seaman going OFF on those stupid dancing freaks.

Seaman : You do know how stupid you look, right? Oh? You don't? Well, you look stupid.

Resident Evil and Beyond Good and Evil. Replace BGE crappy story with RE and keep the exploration and investigation side (although a completely new battle system would be needed, either would clash with the other style.)

Top Bottom