• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comic Book Day! - 07/14/04. Seriously, could this week get any better?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diamond's Shipping List for July 14, 2004

13287.jpg

APR040076 BERSERK VOL 4 TP (MR) $13.95
APR040293 SUPERMAN BATMAN #11 $2.95
MAY041698 SHE HULK #5 $2.99
MAY041651 ULTIMATE X-MEN #49 $2.25
MAY042919 BATTLE ROYALE VOL 8 GN (Of 11) (MR) $9.99
MAY043012 VAGABOND VOL 13 TP $9.95
MAY044334 AZUMANGA DAIOH VOL 3 RIVALS DVD PI

This would be the best CBD ever, if Street Fighter #9 was in there somewhere too. Ah well, you can't have it all. This is still a pretty damn good week for me at the comic shop; helps to make up for the last few weeks of nothingness. Too bad it's going to leave me practically broke, though...

I still have to buy a textbook for one of my classes, too. :(

lordmrw

100 BULLETS #51
ACTION COMICS #817
JSA #63
SUPERMAN BATMAN #11
TEEN TITANS #13
MARVEL KNIGHTS SPIDER-MAN #4
ULTIMATE X-MEN #49
BATTLE ROYALE VOL 8 GN (Of 11)
DARK ANGEL VOL 3 TP NEW PTG

This week definitely makes up for last week, where I had a whopping 4 books to buy. I might flip through JLA before deciding whether I'll buy it or not. Lots of stuff I've been looking forward to, like 100 Bullets, Superman/Batman, and Spider Man. ANd I think I might have missed Thor last week.

Edit: Holy shit, I didn't notice Identity Crisis #2 on there. How the hell did i forget that? I confused it with Identity Disc.

BuddyC

FABLES #27 <- Yay!
PULSE #4 <- Whoo!
IDENTITY CRISIS #2 <- The last issue left me with a resounding "meh" feeling.
MARVEL KNIGHTS 4 #7 <- I...don't know.
ULTIMATE X-MEN #49 <- Probably stick around to #50 and drop it.

DC COMIC PRESENTS MYSTERY IN SPACE #1
GOTHAM CENTRAL #21
PULSE #4
ULTIMATE X-MEN #49

Did anybody read that big NYT Mag thing on Graphic Novels this weekend? I'll give you the gist: Angsty Comix = Genius. Marvel / DC / Spandex of Any Sort / Manga / Anything Else That Doesn't Fit Into the Author's Narrow Thesis of Why the Average NYT Reader Should Pay Attention to Comics = Tripe. Repeat ad nauseum for ten pages. GAH.

Had some interesting profiles of the few artists that do get props, though. Especially Spiegelman. So maybe it's worth reading. Eh.

FnordChan

Man, slow week:

The Pulse #4 - The second best comic Marvel is currently publishing.

She-Hulk #5 - The best comic Marvel is currently publishing.

Ultiamte X-Men #49 - A pretty decent comic Marvel is currently publishing.

Nausicaa Vol. 6 - Already? Hot damn! On the flip side, now I have to sit around and wait forever for the final volume to come out...

FnordChan

Bowser

FABLES #27
DISTRICT X #3
PULSE #4
SHE HULK #5 (Time for me to bite the bullet, and try this)
THE PUNISHER #9

A Marvel week.

BuddyC

Bowser said:
FABLES #27
DISTRICT X #3
PULSE #4
SHE HULK #5 (Time for me to bite the bullet, and try this)
THE PUNISHER #9

A Marvel week.

BUY MORE FABLES

Willco

Hollywood Square
GOTHAM CENTRAL #21
PULSE #4

I don't get all the She-Hulk buzz. It's pretty boring. Although, I guess some people don't like Millar's Spider-Man.

I finally broke down and decided to read ahead of the anime with regards to Berserk. Damn, it just gets more and more fucked up. Great series.

Yay for more Battle Royale!

Some questions if anybody has an idea:

1. When did the seventh 100 bullets trade come out? I haven't seen it anywhere.

2. Any word on a final Stray Bullets trade yet? I see amazon.ca has a january 2004 listing on the 8th volume, with 1-3 months shipping. Amazon.com doesn't have anything.

3. Any word on a 100% trade? I love Paul Pope's stuff, but no way am I ever buying single issues.

nomoment

GOTHAM CENTRAL #21
IDENTITY CRISIS #2 (Of 7) - Will flip through in store. #1 wasn't that good.
TEEN TITANS #13
SHE HULK #5

You folks might want to check out DC Comics Presents Mystery In Space #1 -- it features a Grant Morrison story. Should be a fun issue.

And damn, crappy fill-in art for She-Hulk... :(

Willco

Hollywood Square
nomoment said:
GOTHAM CENTRAL #21
IDENTITY CRISIS #2 (Of 7) - Will flip through in store. #1 wasn't that good.
TEEN TITANS #13
SHE HULK #5

You folks might want to check out DC Comics Presents Mystery In Space #1 -- it features a Grant Morrison story. Should be a fun issue.

And damn, crappy fill-in art for She-Hulk... :(

Oh, forgot about Teen Titans. Is this when Johns is going to surprise us with his awesome talent!

p.s. go buy the pulse!

nomoment

Willco said:
Oh, forgot about Teen Titans. Is this when Johns is going to surprise us with his awesome talent!

p.s. go buy the pulse!
Pulse - waiting for the trade! Tell me if the story is any good at the end of the arc. If it is, I promise I'll buy the trade.

And Teen Titans #13 was good. #17 is where things really start kicking into high gear, trust me. Geoff Johns has shown me the way.

Willco

Hollywood Square
nomoment said:
Pulse - waiting for the trade! Tell me if the story is any good at the end of the arc. If it is, I promise I'll buy the trade.

All I can say is that it has the best written version of Marvel 616 Norman Osborn I've ever read in a story. And the way it mixes Jessica and Ben with their real-life antics, and they're so different from one another, and their job at the Daily Bugle is great. It's like a lighter, Marvel version of Gotham Central.

And Teen Titans #13 was good. #17 is where things really start kicking into high gear, trust me. Geoff Johns has shown me the way.

Cool. I'll pick it up. I wonder when they'll ever do anything with the Superboy and You-Know-Who subplot.

nomoment

Willco said:
Cool. I'll pick it up. I wonder when they'll ever do anything with the Superboy and You-Know-Who subplot.
Well, now that the Teen Titans #17 solicitation is out, I guess I can post the stuff Geoff sent me. (The cover I've got has much better color than the solict copy out right now)

Basically, after time travelling with the Legion (in the upcoming Legion/Titans special) the team is flung back 10 years too late, and meet their future selves: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Animal Man, The Flash, Dark Raven, and Aquawoman. Chaos ensues.

titans17.jpg

Willco

Hollywood Square
mattx5 said:
What do you mean when you refer to Marvel 616?

In the great Marvel mythos, there exist many universes, but the one we all know and love, where X-Men are Uncanny and Spider-Man is Amazing, is Universe 616. Stuff like Ultimate Spider-Man, Marvels and 1602 to some extent exist in another universe.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Here you go...

This is an identifier from Alan Davis' stint on Excalibur. Roma, in her role as the omniversal guardian, and the people working under her adopted a numbering system for the multiple parallel Earths that exist throughout crosstime. The mainstream Marvel Universe and its associated continuity are numbered "616": Earth 616, Captain Britain 616, and so forth. Often used when comparing the mainstream Marvel continuity to that of alternate timelines.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Willco said:
GOTHAM CENTRAL #21
PULSE #4

I don't get all the She-Hulk buzz. It's pretty boring. Although, I guess some people don't like Millar's Spider-Man.

How is Marvel Knights Spider-Man? Does it exist in the same universe as Amazing or is it another restart like Ultimate?

Willco

Hollywood Square
Screaming_Gremlin said:
How is Marvel Knights Spider-Man? Does it exist in the same universe as Amazing or is it another restart like Ultimate?

It exists in the same universe as Amazing and Spectacular. It's pretty good, but it's a throwback to the 'ole Spider-Man days where plots pretty much existed as excuses to beat up rogues. Millar mixes things up a little and it's not dumb, but it's very action-oriented and I like it a bunch.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Willco said:
It exists in the same universe as Amazing and Spectacular. It's pretty good, but it's a throwback to the 'ole Spider-Man days where plots pretty much existed as excuses to beat up rogues. Millar mixes things up a little and it's not dumb, but it's very action-oriented and I like it a bunch.

Thanks. I think I'm going to order the four issues for Midtown Comics since it sounds like something I would like.

nomoment

Screaming_Gremlin said:
Thanks. I think I'm going to order the four issues for Midtown Comics since it sounds like something I would like.
Good choice, my friend.

MK: Spider-Man is the best Spider-Man book available.

lordmrw

nomoment said:
Well, now that the Teen Titans #17 solicitation is out, I guess I can post the stuff Geoff sent me. (The cover I've got has much better color than the solict copy out right now)

Basically, after time travelling with the Legion (in the upcoming Legion/Titans special) the team is flung back 10 years too late, and meet their future selves: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Animal Man, The Flash, Dark Raven, and Aquawoman. Chaos ensues.

titans17.jpg

I like that. I'm definitely looking forward to what Geoff has in store for Superboy. Its about time someone did something with his character.

Crazymoogle said:
When did the seventh 100 bullets trade come out? I haven't seen it anywhere.

It actually comes out at the end of this month, and the name of it is Samurai. Glad to see another 100 Bullets fan on the boards.

nomoment

If you're a Canadian, don't bother heading to the comic shop until Thursday or Friday:

Dear Diamond Retailer:

Please be advised that for the first time in 10 years, and as a result of circumstances beyond Diamond's control, one of two trucks carrying Diamond shipments into Canada was flagged for a detailed inspection at the U.S./Canada border, which will result in a 24- to 48-hour delay for all July 14 Canadian shipments.

Diamond regrets any inconvenience caused by this unexpected delay, and will make an updated announcement as soon as additional information is available. Retailers with further questions about this announcement should contact their Diamond Customer Service Representative.

Friggin' border inspectors.

another week, more comics...

ACTION COMICS #817 *can austen stop witht the "he's a hick" jokes?

DC COMIC PRESENTS MYSTERY IN SPACE #1 *morrison's in it.....*

GOTHAM CENTRAL #21 * is the harvey bullock story gonna be resolved?

IDENTITY CRISIS #2 (Of 7) *i dont think dr light has anything to do with this....

LEGION #35 *the legion ma'am.... i still dont know why they need to reboot but.....

SUPERMAN BATMAN #11 8 um, i dont like this storyline, i dont like jeph loeb, i dont like this supergirl. i want matrix back.* i want jeph loeb gone*

TEEN TITANS #13 * those of you that havent bought the tittle before should be flogged in the town square*

nomoment

From MillarWorld: SPOILERS FOR IDENTITY CRISIS #2. DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT THIS ISSUE SPOILED.

LAST WARNING. MAJOR SPOILERS FOR IDENTITY CRISIS #2.

So, the reason they're going after Dr. Light is because...he raped Sue.

The big secret? Zatanna gave him a "magic lobotomy". Barry [Allen] was the deciding vote to do it. According to Green Arrow, it's not the only time they've done it.

However, according to Dr. Mid-Nite...Dr. Light didn't kill her. She was dead before the fire.

Anybody think this storyline is getting a bit TOO dark for the mainstream DCU? Personally, I'm quite disturbed by this 'big reveal.' This kind of thing shouldn't be in an all-ages DCU book.

Bowser

nomoment said:
From MillarWorld: SPOILERS FOR IDENTITY CRISIS #2. DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT THIS ISSUE SPOILED.

LAST WARNING. MAJOR SPOILERS FOR IDENTITY CRISIS #2.

Anybody think this storyline is getting a bit TOO dark for the mainstream DCU? Personally, I'm quite disturbed by this 'big reveal.' This kind of thing shouldn't be in an all-ages DCU book.

Bleh, I'm not reading Identity Crisis ($4 is too much, I'll just grab the trade), but that avatar's awesome! :D

Willco

Hollywood Square
I was unable to get a copy of Seaguy #2. I did read the first one. It reads like ROBOCOP meets SUPERHEROES meets GRANT MORRISON meets CRACK.

Bowser

Willco said:
I was unable to get a copy of Seaguy #2.

Bull. There's definately some way you'd be able to get a copy of Seaguy #2. Order online or something; the book (mini-series) is too good to miss. Besides, Grant Morrison + Crack = Awesome.

nomoment

Willco said:
I was unable to get a copy of Seaguy #2. I did read the first one. It reads like ROBOCOP meets SUPERHEROES meets GRANT MORRISON meets CRACK.
SeaGuy #2 is ten times crazier than SeaGuy #1. You NEED to get it.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Bowser said:
Bull. There's definately some way you'd be able to get a copy of Seaguy #2. Order online or something; the book (mini-series) is too good to miss. Besides, Grant Morrison + Crack = Awesome.

I never order online after some bad experiences. My LCS will get a copy eventually. They're pretty good for getting specialty stuff for me, so I can't imagine a copy of Seaguy #2 would be too hard for them.

Ryu

Hmm, pretty good week this week. Yesterday, I picked up Powers volume 5, Birds of Prey Of Like Minds TPB, and Arkham Asylum in trade. Tomorrow will just be a big bonus to all of that good stuff I have ready for me -- aside from Powers as I read that in a sitting.

Superman\Batman #11 - I don't like Turner. I do like Loeb. Damn them all.
Marvel Knights 4 #7 - My guilty pleasure Marvel book.
Marvel Knights Spider-Man #4 - Really like this run so far. Can't go wrong with Black Cat either.
Pulse #4 - Great read. I am really enjoying this so far. I agree that it's like the Gotham Central of the Marvel Universe, but at the same time, I don't think it's nearly as good as GC.

With that said, it's pretty surprising that I don't have Gotham Central on my buy list this week, but truth be told, I prefer it in trade. I didn't jump on the bandwagon early enough to really appreciate it from its inception, but at the same time, reading it in trade is more satisfying. I liken it to watching Law and Order in 15 minute increments over four months as opposed to watching the full hour all at once. It's a great book, great read, no doubt, but I prefer it in trade.

Oh, and Seaguy is awesome. Can't believe next week we get Seaguy 3, Ex Machina 2, and Daredevil vol 9. All I need is the second Sleeper TPB and it'll be a perfect fucking week.

Bowser

Willco said:
I never order online after some bad experiences. My LCS will get a copy eventually. They're pretty good for getting specialty stuff for me, so I can't imagine a copy of Seaguy #2 would be too hard for them.

NO EXCUSES; JUST BUY

Bowser

Ryu said:
Oh, and Seaguy is awesome. Can't believe next week we get Seaguy 3, Ex Machina 2, and Daredevil vol 9. All I need is the second Sleeper TPB and it'll be a perfect fucking week.

Oh shit, I didn't even know this. And I'm gonna be outta town! Damn them all!

Willco

Hollywood Square
Ryu said:
Pulse #4 - Great read. I am really enjoying this so far. I agree that it's like the Gotham Central of the Marvel Universe, but at the same time, I don't think it's nearly as good as GC.

I never said it was as good as Gotham Central, just that it was the Gotham Central of the Marvel Universe. I think that Gotham Central is more cerebral than The Pulse, but at the same time, it lacks the kind of quirky nature that Bendis' title has.

Ryu

I do like his conversation style that he presents between Cage and Jones, but that's about as quirky as it gets for me. He does a great Jameson though for sure.

MASB

GREEN ARROW #40
SHE HULK #5

I'm sure I'll probably get more than that, but those are the sure things.

BTW have any of you read the Amelia Rules TPBs/comics? I think it's one of the more interesting comics around, after having bought both TPBs within the span of the past few weeks.

To answer my own question...

Spike Spiegel said:
Seriously, could this week get any better?!?
No, but apparently it can (and did) get worse... BERSERK vol. 4 and BATTLE ROYALE vol. 8 weren't in my folder this week. Sonovab*tch. The owner didn't have a clue as to whether or not these 2 books shipped this week, so if someone else actually received their copy of BERSERK or BATTLE ROYALE, I'd appreciate a heads-up. I won't be able to do much about it, but at least I'll know if it was simply delayed, or if there was a problem with the store's shipment.

I did, however, receive a most unexpected and pleasant consolation prize instead...
razz.gif

animenation_1800_46421624

BuddyC

Just to check in real quick, this month's issues of Fables and The Pulse served to remind me why I began reading comics in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom