• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comic Book Day, 7/22/09: Amazing Spider-Man #600, Incredible Hulk #600, Power Girl #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowser

Christopher said:
Didn't Ultimate Spiderman #1 suppose to come out this week? I was looking foward to finally starting fresh with Spiderman.

Also no X-Men Forever this week?

You've got another 3 weeks until Ultimate Spider-Man, that and Ultimate Avengers launch August 12th.

Anyway, here's my list:

BLACKEST NIGHT TALES OF THE CORPS #2 (OF 3)
GOTHAM CITY SIRENS #2
GREEN LANTERN #44 (BLACKEST NIGHT)
WEDNESDAY COMICS #3 (OF 12)
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #600

I spent pretty much all of last week getting caught up with GL, and wow. It's like a sensory overload of goodness.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Pretty high quality week this week looks like:

Blackest Night Tales Of The Corps #2 (OF 3): Still got the first issue on my stack from last week but I'm sure it'll be decent in the long run.
Final Crisis Aftermath Dance #3 (OF 6): Not bad so far - nowhere near the level of Run but waaaaay better than Escape and Ink. Fun Super-soap-operatics
Final Crisis Legion Of Three Worlds #5 (OF 5): Woooooo! More eye-melting overload from Mr P, can't wait.
Gotham City Sirens #2: We'll see with this one. Issue one was a little hit or miss, but I'm giving Dini the benefit of the doubt because Streets has been so good. The bat-books are really hitting on a level of excellence they've not been on since No Man's Land, IMO.
Green Lantern #44: MOAR!!!
Halo Helljumper #1 (OF 5): I like Halo, I like Peter David. I'll give it a go.
Phonogram Singles Club #4 (OF 7): Seriously, if you like comics and indie music, you should be reading this book, it's stellar.
Supergirl #43: Been really good so far, even if it is weird to be buying a book about a superpowered blonde teenager...
Tiny Titans #18: for me and the missus. This book cracks me up still, I love it.

Most looking forward to Phonogram, if you do not read this comic you're missing out.

Recon

Banned
I cant wait until wed.!!! Besides the normal New books coming out, i ordered Geoff Johns entire Green Lantern run in paperback off amazon. So, from Rebirth to Secret Origin!!!! I started reading GL with Rage of the Red Lanterns, so i will now be caught up!

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
omg rite said:
On that note, DC have put out their full October solicitations. Some good stuff: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=22105

Hmmm it took me this to notice that there's a new Doom Patrol series written by Giffen in the near future. I'm not particularly knowledgeable about his work but I'm loving Morrison's run.

I've only read Giffen first TPB of Justice League International, should I expect good stuff for this?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Mistouze said:
Hmmm it took me this to notice that there's a new Doom Patrol series written by Giffen in the near future. I'm not particularly knowledgeable about his work but I'm loving Morrison's run.

I've only read Giffen first TPB of Justice League International, should I expect good stuff for this?

No, not really IMO. They're doing a little preview in the back of this week's DC books and it looks a bit shit really. If you're enjoying the Morrison run on DP, just stop when it's finished and call it a day. Any other incarnations will severely disappoint you I'm afraid. Giffen seems to be OK but he's a bit of a workhorse and nowhere near the same quality as Morrison, whose Doom Patrol run is one of the defining runs in comics full stop to me. If you've read to the end, you'll know that it ends. There is no coming back from that!

ZeoVGM

Banned
Blader5489 said:
Some guy (who gets his books a week early) posted on another forum that it
doesn't reveal Rulk's identity

Wish you would have spoiler tagged that, since it's a spoiler. I was looking forward to seeing whether or not it happens on my own.

Bowser said:
You've got another 3 weeks until Ultimate Spider-Man, that and Ultimate Avengers launch August 12th.

August 12th is going to be a very fun week for the GAF thread:

Blackest Night #2
The Marvels Project #1
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1
Ultimate Comics Avengers #1
Blackest Night: Batman #1
Green Lantern Corps #39

And... THE RETURN OF FOIL COMIC VARIANTS.

I;m just really wondering about
the rings for hawkman and girl coming out of the mouth of "Bruce's" skull. That's the skull he specifically picked so I wonder if he NEEDED that skull to make the rings and what it means

Bowser

omg rite said:
Wish you would have spoiler tagged that, since it's a spoiler. I was looking forward to seeing whether or not it happens on my own.

August 12th is going to be a very fun week for the GAF thread:

Blackest Night #2
The Marvels Project #1
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1
Ultimate Comics Avengers #1
Blackest Night: Batman #1
Green Lantern Corps #39

And... THE RETURN OF FOIL COMIC VARIANTS.

Oh man, I didn't even realize all that was coming that week. My wallet gently weeps :(

ZeoVGM

Banned
BobTheFork said:
I;m just really wondering about
the rings for hawkman and girl coming out of the mouth of "Bruce's" skull. That's the skull he specifically picked so I wonder if he NEEDED that skull to make the rings and what it means

It actually had nothing to do with the fact that it was Bruce Wayne's skull. He just happened to have some rings chilling in his head.

Jesus, omg rite, is there anything you aren't buying this week? :p

'Course, like I'm one to talk... yikes.

MAR090086 BERSERK TP VOL 30 (MR) $13.95 -- hey, won't be long now before we're caught up! Unless they slow down releasing...
MAY090064 CONAN THE CIMMERIAN #12 $2.99 -- Conan versus Natohk for the fate of a kingdom and its princess!
JUN090255 100 BULLETS #1 VERTIGO CRIME SAMPLER (MR) $1.00 -- may not pick this one up, someone's been stealing them from the break room.
MAY090118 BLACKEST NIGHT TALES OF THE CORPS #2 (OF 3) $3.99 -- more spotlights on the movers and shakers in the Color Corps.
JAN090179 FINAL CRISIS LEGION OF THREE WORLDS #5 (OF 5) $3.99 -- holy cow, this one sure took its sweet time to finish.
MAY090135 GOTHAM CITY SIRENS #2 $2.99 -- will Selina let slip the identity of the Batman? Does she even know it's Dick?
MAY090112 GREEN LANTERN #44 (BLACKEST NIGHT) $2.99 -- Zombie Martians are after my braaaaaaaaaiiins... uh, I mean heart.
MAY090166 POWER GIRL #3 $2.99 -- PeeGee smacks around an albino gorilla supervillain, goes partying with Terra afterwards?
MAY090141 SUPERGIRL #43 $2.99 -- Supergirl is back home! But why is that not a good thing?
MAY090211 TINY TITANS #18 $2.50 -- wonder what Robin did to end up in detention... something funny, no doubt.
MAY090350 INVINCIBLE #64 $2.99 -- you monsters... you animals... you... you... *sobs* :(
MAY090484 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #600 $4.99 -- the other anniversary issue, the one with Loeb attached, can rot for all I care.
MAY090501 INCREDIBLE HERCULES #131 $2.99 -- setting the bar for comic book sound effects, every month!
MAY090552 WOLVERINE FIRST CLASS #17 $2.99 -- awww, Patch has a little sister.
MAY090538 X-FORCE #17 $2.99 -- beginning the "Farewell to X-23" story arc.
Not really... at least, I hope not. I mean, they'd better not.

1028889_ful.jpg
1028772_ful.jpg
1028692_ful.jpg

1028694_ful.jpg
1028696_ful.jpg
1028702_ful.jpg

1028704_ful.jpg
pg3_cvr.jpg
1028712_ful.jpg

1028713_ful.jpg
1028721_ful.jpg
1028732_ful.jpg

1028747_ful.jpg
1028764_ful.jpg
1028768_ful.jpg

Biggest week in a long, LONG time. Gotta remember to pick up some bags 'n boards while I'm at it... o_O

I'm a little worried about where things are possibly going with X-23... doesn't help that they're keeping "mum" about the solicit for #20 until SDCC. Each chapter cover seems to be getting more and more perilous...

xforce17.jpg
xforce18.jpg

xforce19.jpg
xforce20.jpg

Blader5489 said:
0%

Some guy (who gets his books a week early) posted on another forum that it doesn't reveal Rulk's identity.

Oh, well, that sucks.

There goes the only bit of excitement I had for this issue.

MisterHero

spoil Legion of 3 Worlds for me plox

I really hope Superboy-Prime finds some peace. He could probably really fit in in the 31st Century (unless he has to answer for his crimes?)

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Let's see....

All New Savage She-Hulk (2009) #4 (Dark Reign)
Amazing Spider-Man (1999) #600
Avengers: Initiative (2007) #26
Black Panther (2009) #6 (Dark Reign)
Blackest Night: Tales of the Corps (2009) #2
Captain Britain and MI 13 (2008) #15
Cyberforce/Hunter Killer (2009) #1 Rocafort Hunter Killer Cover
Dark Reign: Fantastic Four (2009) #5
Dark Wolverine (2009) #76 (Dark Reign)
Deadpool: Suicide Kings (2009) #4
Gotham City Sirens (2009) #2
Green Lantern (2005) #44 (Blackest Night)
Guardians of the Galaxy (2008) #16
Immortal Weapons (2009) #1
Incredible Hercules (2008) #131
Incredible Hulk (1999) #600
Ms. Marvel (2006) #42 (Dark Reign)
Nova (2007) #27
Outsiders (2009) #20
Supergirl (2005) #43
The Warriors: Jailbreak (2009) #1
Transformers: All Hail Megatron
Wolverine Origins (2006) #38
X-Force (2008) #17

Holy shit. Legion of Three Worlds is actually ending???

Mistouze said:

Morrison's Doom Patrol run is one of the 5 best series of all time, imo. I read the preview for Giffen's and it looks like doo doo, the tone is more like GI Joe with creepy bad guys than Morrison's dadaist take. And I'm even a big Giffen fan.

Tokubetsu

I'm having a really tough time finding a copy of Hack/Slash Omnibus V1. Amazon has it listed but a "1 to 4 months" shipping time, instocktrades doesn't have it and I'd really like to use half/ebay as a last resort. Any help?

And I swear to god if Atom eve is dead in the new issue of Invincible I will find kirkman myself and split him down the fucking middle.

Dead

well not really...yet
Tokubetsu said:
I'm having a really tough time finding a copy of Hack/Slash Omnibus V1. Amazon has it listed but a "1 to 4 months" shipping time, instocktrades doesn't have it and I'd really like to use half/ebay as a last resort. Any help?
Theres a reasonobly priced one in the Amazon marketplace

It must be out of print, because no one else seems to have it

Recon

Banned
Tokubetsu said:

And I swear to god if Atom eve is dead in the new issue of Invincible I will find kirkman myself and split him down the fucking middle.

Is it so hard to use spoiler tags? Some of just trade wait certain titles. So, yeah, thanks.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Thanks guys for the info about Giffen's upcoming Doom Patrol. I'll enjoy the 2 remainings trade I haven't read yet and leave it at that. Props to Morrison for writing the weirdest superhero team ever.

omg_rite said:
It actually had nothing to do with the fact that it was Bruce Wayne's skull. He just happened to have some rings chilling in his head.

Waaat? Is there a joke I'm not getting?

Have they retconned the stupid 'One more Day' garbage or is Spidey still "all fresh and new" by recycling shit we read already back in the 60's-70's?

BattleMonkey said:
Have they retconned the stupid 'One more Day' garbage or is Spidey still "all fresh and new" by recycling shit we read already back in the 60's-70's?
Until Harry is is corpse again, I don't think it goes away :p but someone (human torch I think) did wonder briefly why he doesn't know who Spiderman is under the mask anymore, so maybe there is a way back. Honestly, what will it do, recon'ing a recon?

ZeoVGM

Banned
BattleMonkey said:

No, why would they retcon it? Sales are good and overall reaction is that the quality of the book is very high.

All they did was erase the marriage and it turns out no one really gives a shit. And no, they're not "recycling shit we read back in the 60's-70's" just because they got rid of the marriage.

Bowser

BattleMonkey said:

Haven't read ASM but I'm pretty sure it's still operating under the "One More Day" conditions.

Double D

Blackest Night Tales Of The Corps #2
Dark Wolverine #76
Deadpool Suicide Kings #4
Gotham City Sirens #2
Green Lantern Vol 4 #44

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Nice to see trade releases in the comic thread OP, omg rite. Good job.

Light week, only picking up stuff on my pre-release list that just came out on amazon:

cday072109-01.jpg
cday072109-02.jpg

Back To Brooklyn Volume 1 - Garth Ennis; Paperback
Preacher, Vol. 1 - Garth Ennis; Hardcover

Publishers Weekly said:
Reprinted on the same heavy glossy paper that Vertigo used for the first trade paperback (newsprint was used for some of the later volumes), the series is being reorganized into thick hardback volumes, the first one clocking in at a hefty 352 pages and reprinting issues 1-12
Coated paper! Praise the Saint of Killers. I can lose my Preacher TPBs now, looks like we have a definitive edition.

Some more updates on Ellis projects:

Warren Ellis said:
* PLANETARY #27 comes out in October, I’m told.

* FELL #10 is underway right now on this end, so don’t bug Ben. We’re on it. It’ll be a while before it’s ready.

* DESOLATION JONES remains in temporary limbo for various reasons. Wildstorm and I are working on it, is all you need to know.

* NEWUNIVERSAL remains on pause while Steve and I do an IRON MAN thing, and we’ll return to finish it once we’re done. Scheduling was the enemy — after the loss of the computer, there were only so many scripts and stories I could reconstitute simultaneously, and ASTONISHING X-MEN trumped it on the scheduling.

* Phil Jiminez just turned in his first ASTONISHING X-MEN issue. I love working with Phil.

Warren Ellis said:
I wrote a short graphic novel — really more of a novelette or short story — called RED. It was illustrated brilliantly by Cully Hamner. It was a creator-owned work. Summit Entertainment acquired the film rights last year.

And, yes, according to Variety, Morgan Freeman is now in talks to co-star in the putative film adaptation alongside Bruce Willis.

I read Red recently. It's a good short story, but I'm not sure why the concept appeals to Hollywood strongly, since it's a simple tale of badassery and reveng...nevermind :D

EX MACHINA DELUXE EDITION VOL. 2 HC
Written by Brian K. Vaughan
Art by Tony Harris & Tom Feister and
Chris Sprouse & Karl Story
Cover by Tony Harris
In this new, deluxe volume collecting issues #12-20 of the hit series along with EX MACHINA SPECIAL #1-2, Mayor Mitchell Hundred must make a difficult decision about his own future, becomes part of a shocking trial complicated by the unexpected arrival of an all-new Super Hero, and leaves New York City for the first time since his election to embark on a strange adventure. Plus, shocking tragedy strikes an Iraq War protest in downtown Manhattan.
Advance-solicited; on sale December 2 • 272 pg, FC, $29.99 US • MATURE READERS
Ex Machina hardcover #2 FINALLY announced. Thought they might have cancelled the HC run, considering how far behind the trades they were. A year and a half between HCs.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Question for Amazing Spider-man readers:

I haven't read since One More Day. Is ASM worth getting back into? I'm thinking about buying books 544-600.

Sanjuro

SephCast said:

I haven't read since One More Day. Is ASM worth getting back into? I'm thinking about buying books 544-600.
I think so. Brand New Day started off strange but once it hit it's second/third story arc I think it was fantastic. I'm playing catchup currently at issue 590, but the last story arc I read about the Menace character I thought was pretty good. Also, overall I don't read much Marvel. I'm mostly DC. I've enjoyed this arc alot and if you don't read Wolverine the "Old Man Logan" story was a great time to jump in as well.

If you are planning on buying the books not B&M my favorite site is www.milehighcomics.com. If you are just looking for them to read and not as huge on the collecting side, the lower grade qualities on the site will save you some dough and they usually are in normal condition.

SephCast said:

I'm just getting back into it as well. It's a mixed bag. The major story lines (New Ways to Die, Character Assassination, etc..) are all really good, but there is also some crap (basically anything Bob Gale wrote). All in all, I found the good to far outweigh the bad.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Mr_Kitty_Fantastico said:
I'm just getting back into it as well. It's a mixed bag. The major story lines (New Ways to Die, Character Assassination, etc..) are all really good, but there is also some crap (basically anything Bob Gale wrote). All in all, I found the good to far outweigh the bad.

Ugh, yes. Thankfully, they seemed to have sat him in a corner. He hasn't written anything in ASM since early last summer. Over a year now, I think.

Sanjuro

Mr_Kitty_Fantastico said:
I thought Kraven's daughter story was good.

SephCast said:

I didn't like the last 7 or 8 issues that much but besides those its been ok besides the Freak stuff.

ZeoVGM

Banned
SanjuroTsubaki said:
You could be right. The Freak did suck.

Yeah, Kraven's First Hunt was a Guggenheim story.

And Freak was horrible. I love how they just killed him without a care in NWTD.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Read Sentences: The life of MF Grimm. Hrm. It was an entertaining account, but I can't help but harbor some strong negative sentiments about how it's framed. It skips through his life and focuses on all the shitty things he's done or been involved in, and basically glorifies everything about it except for all his friends and family dying in the process. Then after it all catches up to him, he studies up with an epic bearded prison jew and lawyers his way out of prison, and that's overcoming hardship to persevere!

Whatever, I mean, being involved in drugs and gangs is a fact of life in inner cities, so I'm mostly just miffed about how it's presented. And maybe most of all about the final page, where he says something like "well I hope you've learned from my life story that you can pull yourself up and be a success without getting into all the bad shit." What? No, that's not what I got out of it at all. I got out of it that if you're a lucky enough motherfucker to survive dozens of shootouts and police raids while everyone you know dies maybe you can live long enough to be recognized and write a graphic novel autobiography about how awesome you were for distributing drugs around the country and shooting people who looked at you the wrong way. Going by this book I don 't think he's learned shit from his life.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Marvel have put out their full October solicitations: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=22116

My personal highlight: Deadpool blatantly trolling Action Comics.

DEADPOOL #900
Written by JASON AARON, MIKE BENSON, CHARLIE HUSTON, JOE KELLY, DUANE SWIERCZYNSKI & FRED VAN LENTE
Penciled by KYLE BAKER, SHAWN CRYSTAL, SANFORD GREEEN, ROB LIEFELD, CHRIS STAGGS & DALIBOR TALIJIC
Cover by DAVE JOHNSON
Special SUPER-sized, ACTION-packed 104-page special to commemorate Deadpool's historic 900th issue! ... Wait, has it really been nine-hundred issues...? Who cares! If this collection of octane-infused stories by some of comics' hottest talent doesn't make you want to genuflect at the Altar of Wade, nothing will. Thrill as the Merc with a Mouth squares off against probe-happy aliens, trigger-happy mimes and one seriously unhappy fanman - and that's just half the book! Wince as Wade bares his soul (and lots more) to a shrink who's got major squirrels in his own attic. Thrill as he travels around the globe and then some to settle a childhood bet. And chill as C.S.I. investigators at a blood-splattered crime scene attempt to piece together why this particular "unsub" needed battery cables, Crisco oil, three stacks of adult magazines and a live chicken to pull off the hit.
104 PGS./Parental Advisory ...$4.99

:lol

DPOOL900.jpg

Shoehead

Neo Member
Hey guys, long time lurker here. Always love these threads. Highlights of the week for me include Spidey, Green Lantern and the bittersweet Captain Britain finale. I'm also really intrigued by Cooke's The Hunter. Anyone picking it up?

And finally, if anyone out there hasn't read it yet, Jonathan Hickman's Nightly News is abso-fucking-lutely incredible. Easily the best thing I've read all year. I never understood the hype around the guy and yeah, his Marvel stuff probably won't be as good. But Nightly News makes up for that and then some. Read it.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Blackest Night: Tales of the Corps #2 - First was pretty interesting, looking forward to learning more about some of the other corps
Green Lantern #44 - YES
Amazing Spider-Man #600 - I'm, uh, no where near #600 in my backlog. But, I'm going to buy it anyways. I'll get there eventually.

1028697_ful.jpg

So bright all other books live in deep shadow this week.

ALLTHATMATTERSALLTHATMATTERSALLTHATMATTERSALLTHATMATTERSALLTHATMATTERS

Recon

Banned
WordAssassin said:
What is there to spoiler tag? Look at the fuckin' cover.

Well, to be honest, that cover is telling, but covers arent really all that indicative of whats inside.

krypt0nian said:
1028697_ful.jpg

So bright all other books live in deep shadow this week.

ALLTHATMATTERSALLTHATMATTERSALLTHATMATTERSALLTHATMATTERSALLTHATMATTERS

all that matters is superboy prime's fate, not conner's. we already know he's back on earth during blackest night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom