• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! #8 / January 2012 - Happy New Year, Comic Book GAF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If only DC's Death, the black skier of your DOOM, wasn't embarrassingly ridiculous.

No matter how many jagged edges you put on him he still looks stupid.

Well it wouldn't have looked as cool if he was running from this:

Death_%28DC_Comics%29.jpg

would it?

Actually, yes, it would have.

A small creepy girl who you cannot outrun or beat up and just smiles at you?

You could not have had a splash page with that kind of effect using Death of the Endless.

The Sandman stuff is great, and Death from Sandman is a much better character than DC's other Death, but they went with the version that fit the visual they wanted.

BluWacky

Actually this is interesting. ComicsGAF - what are some interesting, leftfield introductions to the industry outside of the usual Watchmen/Dark Knight/Hush recommendations?

The first comic I read all the way through was Blankets, and that was after getting it for Christmas this year! I thought it was incredible (despite I suppose being quite flawed from a critical standpoint), and immediately bought Habibi on the strength of it. I can't find Carnet de Voyage anywhere though which is really irritating...

Since then I've bought a few really good non-genre things (Daytripper, Green River Killer), a few AMAZING books (Chew, The Unwritten, Locke and Key) and some stuff that didn't grab me so much (iZombie, Fables). Not sure what else to try - I read a bit of a friend's copy of Y The Last Man a few years ago but it didn't do that much for me - but I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask for recommendations as you're all pretty hardcore on your DC/Marvel in here.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how most people here got into comics (I assume reading comics at a young age). I used to read Archie when I was younger but then stopped reading them in middle school and only decided to start reading comics for real 2 weeks ago. The main reason for my decision to jump in?

Batman: Arkham City. That game is just so good, the story is so enticing, and I got introduced to so many rich characters that it made me want to check out the source of these stories - comics. And here I am. That's also why I bought Hush (which is awesome). Batman to me is easily the most enticing superhero, even though he has no powers to speak of (which I think was handled quite humorously in the new Justice League).

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The first comic I read all the way through was Blankets, and that was after getting it for Christmas this year! I thought it was incredible (despite I suppose being quite flawed from a critical standpoint), and immediately bought Habibi on the strength of it. I can't find Carnet de Voyage anywhere though which is really irritating...

Since then I've bought a few really good non-genre things (Daytripper, Green River Killer), a few AMAZING books (Chew, The Unwritten, Locke and Key) and some stuff that didn't grab me so much (iZombie, Fables). Not sure what else to try - I read a bit of a friend's copy of Y The Last Man a few years ago but it didn't do that much for me - but I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask for recommendations as you're all pretty hardcore on your DC/Marvel in here.

Dude, we love comics, just happens theres a million times more cape books than thinkies. Based on what you've said, and stuff that I've actually read, you may enjoy the following:

American Vampire - Vertigo's current hotness, the history of America told through the struggles of vampires. Bloody, gorgeous, gripping.
Preacher - the blasphemous Garth Ennis classic, this book is simultaneously heartbreaking, ridiculous, shocking and hilarious. I've only just started reading this and it blows me away every time I pick it up.
Planetary - really cool examination of scifi tropes through the prism of an adventure story. If you like the Unwritten you might like this, I get a similar vibe. Only this is waaaay better,but it has that same kind of peering behind reality thing going on.
I Kill Giants - a single trade, one of the sweetest books I've ever read. A troubled little girl claims she kills giants. But what is really going on inside her head?
Swamp Thing - Alan Moore's classic run, about as good as comics in the 80s got. Starts slow and builds to something you'll never forget. Way more awesome than you'll expect.
Fun Home - a really sweet bio comic about a lesbian growing up and her odd family. Very touching and literate.
Pedro and Me - similar to fun home, this time about a guy (Judd Winick) whose best friend dies of AIDS. Really heartbreaking
Laika - story of the first dog in space. You will cry.
Hellboy - knockabout adventure fun with awesome art. So cool.
Doom Patrol - the run that kick started Grant Morrison's career. Gleefully weird, surreal and wonderful. Occasionally obtuse, more often inspired.
sandman - I've only been catching up on this for the past year and oh my god it's incredible. It can be a bit 80s goth, but it's stunning, Neil Gaiman manages to make every arc even more wondrous than the last. I love this book.
WE3 - Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely on my favorite book ever. Animals in robot suits run away from the government. Tears ensue.

And there's loads more that I can't think of right now. But all these books are golden, and will set you back many hours reading :)

Nesotenso

Bendis just confirmed that Moonknight is cancelled with issue 12. He and Maleev were signed on for 12 issues and the sales weren't high enough for continuing it.

Was anyone reading it ? If reviews are good enough, I'll get it in trade.

Dude, we love comics, just happens theres a million times more cape books than thinkies. Based on what you've said, and stuff that I've actually read, you may enjoy the following:

American Vampire - Vertigo's current hotness, the history of America told through the struggles of vampires. Bloody, gorgeous, gripping.
Preacher - the blasphemous Garth Ennis classic, this book is simultaneously heartbreaking, ridiculous, shocking and hilarious. I've only just started reading this and it blows me away every time I pick it up.
Planetary - really cool examination of scifi tropes through the prism of an adventure story. If you like the Unwritten you might like this, I get a similar vibe. Only this is waaaay better,but it has that same kind of peering behind reality thing going on.
I Kill Giants - a single trade, one of the sweetest books I've ever read. A troubled little girl claims she kills giants. But what is really going on inside her head?
Swamp Thing - Alan Moore's classic run, about as good as comics in the 80s got. Starts slow and builds to something you'll never forget. Way more awesome than you'll expect.
Fun Home - a really sweet bio comic about a lesbian growing up and her odd family. Very touching and literate.
Pedro and Me - similar to fun home, this time about a guy (Judd Winick) whose best friend dies of AIDS. Really heartbreaking
Laika - story of the first dog in space. You will cry.
Hellboy - knockabout adventure fun with awesome art. So cool.
Doom Patrol - the run that kick started Grant Morrison's career. Gleefully weird, surreal and wonderful. Occasionally obtuse, more often inspired.
sandman - I've only been catching up on this for the past year and oh my god it's incredible. It can be a bit 80s goth, but it's stunning, Neil Gaiman manages to make every arc even more wondrous than the last. I love this book.
WE3 - Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely on my favorite book ever. Animals in robot suits run away from the government. Tears ensue.

And there's loads more that I can't think of right now. But all these books are golden, and will set you back many hours reading :)

Scalped - It's The Sopranos Plot meets Breaking Bad's Characterization And Coen Brothersness, all on an Indian Reservation. A Must Read.

notworksafe

MARVEL
Releasing This Week

COMIC OF THE WEEK:
NOV110536 ALPHA FLIGHT #8 $2.99
kqqhcl.jpg

THE FINAL ISSUE! THE BIG SHOWDOWN BETWEEN ALPHA FLIGHT AND THE MASTER OF THE WORLD!

sSt9C.jpg
xQQYI.jpg
yzwxn.jpg
6858S.jpg
vYFgW.jpg

vYFgW.jpg
2zGpE.jpg
6P8Ig.jpg
kHdoS.jpg
7BTug.jpg

9IVa7.jpg
IGw2U.jpg

NOV110579 ASTONISHING X-MEN #46 $3.99
NOV110501 AVENGERS SOLO #4 (OF 5) $3.99
NOV110535 CAPTAIN AMERICA AND BUCKY #626 $2.99
NOV110573 DAKEN DARK WOLVERINE #20 $2.99
NOV110588 DEADPOOL #49.1 $2.99
NOV110544 FANTASTIC FOUR #602 $2.99
NOV110542 FF #14 $2.99
NOV110484 MIGHTY THOR #10 $3.99
NOV110499 SECRET AVENGERS #21.1 $2.99
NOV110557 SPIDER-MAN #22 $2.99
NOV110518 ULTIMATE COMICS ULTIMATES #6 $3.99
NOV110583 X-MEN LEGACY #261 $2.99

Alpha Flight went from being an five issue mini-series, to an ongoing, to being demoted to an 8 issue miniseries again and cancelled.

WTF Marvel

Machine

I finished reading vol 1 of Shade the Changing Man today as well. Hmmm, that was kinda a mess, I really don't know if I'll continue reading this series. I know it's widely acknowledged as a classic, but a combination of brittle, ugly art (especially the colours) and a fairly nonsensical story with boring characters does not call me back for more. Can anyone who's read the rest of the book let me know how it gets better later? Or is it more of the same? So far it just feels like really low budget Doom Patrol without the awesome characters or cohesion.

I haven't re-read the series in a long time but I recall the series improving as it went along (although it tapered off at the end of the run). Milligan's writing got better and Bachalo's art improved too (although the coloring was always a little gaudy).

Satch

Banned
DC COMICS

SUPERMAN & CO.

wrVJX.jpg

NOV110129 SUPERMAN #5 $2.99

BATMAN & CO.

UgV9k.jpg
HFuqb.jpg
aUfqO.jpg
zz4Lu.jpg

SEP110180 BATMAN AND ROBIN WHITE KNIGHT DARK KNIGHT HC $22.99
OCT110241 BATMAN BEYOND INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION TP $16.99
NOV110140 BATMAN THE DARK KNIGHT #5 $2.99
OCT110246 CATWOMAN TP VOL 01 $29.99

FLASH

frEjK.jpg

NOV110113 FLASH #5 $2.99

AQUAMAN

OfvS8.jpg

NOV110109 AQUAMAN #5 $2.99

GREEN LANTERN

Cd40z.jpg

NOV110158 GREEN LANTERN NEW GUARDIANS #5 $2.99

TEAMS

ZygXT.jpg
472Qn.jpg
xdcRD.jpg
d3Gdd.jpg
bizlO.jpg

NOV110178 BLACKHAWKS #5 $2.99
NOV110121 DC UNIVERSE ONLINE LEGENDS #22 $2.99
NOV110104 JUSTICE LEAGUE #5 $3.99
NOV110107 JUSTICE LEAGUE #5 COMBO PACK $4.99
NOV110163 JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #5 $2.99
NOV110190 LEGION SECRET ORIGIN #4 (OF 6) $2.99
NOV110183 TEEN TITANS #5 $2.99

MISC.

kiR16.jpg
7Hta8.jpg
KoDw4.jpg
KvH6N.jpg
dceig.jpg

MAY110257 ABSOLUTE KINGDOM COME EDITION HC NEW PTG $99.99
SEP110215 ADD HC (MR) $24.99
NOV110181 ALL STAR WESTERN #5 $3.99
NOV110229 AMERICAN VAMPIRE #23 (MR) $2.99
NOV110117 FURY OF FIRESTORM THE NUCLEAR MEN #5 $2.99
SEP110186 HAWKMAN BY GEOFF JOHNS OMNIBUS HC VOL 01 $75.00
NOV110168 I VAMPIRE #5 $2.99
OCT110247 RESURRECTION MAN TP VOL 01 $29.99
NOV110122 SAVAGE HAWKMAN #5 $2.99
OCT110296 SWEET TOOTH TP VOL 04 ENDANGERED SPECIES (MR) $16.99
NOV110219 UNCHARTED #3 (OF 6) $2.99
NOV110239 UNWRITTEN #33.5 (MR) $2.99
NOV110176 VOODOO #5 $2.99

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Atleast they cancelled Bendis's Moon Knight. What a trainwreck.

We can't be friends.

Also ending isn't cancelled.

Where am I going to get my Moon Knight fix now?

What??

Where is all this sad news??

Midtown Comics leaked the Marvel solicitations, Generation Hope not there. I guess the March's issue "FINAL BATTLE" really was, the uh...final battle.

:(

Damnit, I'm mad about that. Who do have to hold hostage to get it back in business? Anyone got Axel Alonso on speed dial?

Go torture 'em, Captain America!

captor2.jpg

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I've liked Generation Hope but:

1. There are so many damned X-Books.
2. AvX shit gonna go down and preempt that series
3. Really, there are so many god damned X-Books!

btw Finch is redeemed for this cover

aUfqO.jpg

Batamn didn't have enough prep time for Taco Bell?

Holy mustard colored Bat-diarrhea!

I love how Marvel Adventures Black Cat has no deep cleavage V cut in her costume; but is still a solid 38DD. Yeah girl! :3

MDCU has failed me! No Best Coast Avengers #30! Mother fuckers...

BluWacky

Thank you for the amazing list of recommendations - I will definitely look into these (A COMIC ABOUT LAIKA OMG) once my credit card recovers from buying so much in such a short space of time.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I've wanted to read WE3 and Laika for a while, but I don't think I have the constitution to read sad stories about animals. :(

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
For me it's the Grave of the Fireflies of comics, but I still think the experience is worth it.

Oh god, you're really not selling it to me at all.

I'll stick to cleft-chinned heroes punching bad people in the face.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Im so excited for this issue...ive become so invested in these damn teen titans and superboy i can help myself.
I really do hope they kick SuperBoys ass, atleast enough for him to see the error of his ways.
Im curious if new Kid Flash is faster than New Superboy?....I hope so.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Good week for me (or next week to be more accurate):
* Batman & Robin: Dark Knight vs White Knight
* Catwoman: Vol 1
* Hawkman Omnibus (maybe, I'm kinda intrigued)
* Sweet Tooth: Vol 4: Endangered Species

Thank you for the amazing list of recommendations - I will definitely look into these (A COMIC ABOUT LAIKA OMG) once my credit card recovers from buying so much in such a short space of time.

Laika is great. It's one of the pieces that got me back into actively buying and reading comics, after being tempted by awhile from reading these threads.

I wonder how most people here got into comics
As a kid I was into random superhero stuff. I probably followed Spider-Man most. I also read all the Archie TMNT stuff. Then I eased into Star Wars comics for a long time, then quit when the prequels killed my interest and I went to college.

Then a couple years later the big one volume collection of Bone came out, and I remembered having read some of that as a kid in Disney Adventures. Bought that, loved it, then happened upon a comics course that my university offered. That was cool, then I slowly but surely started buying more and more. I stick entirely to trades, since I can't bother with picking up individual issues and I want a format that can sit on my shelf and be easily accessible.

Now I read probably 40-50% DC superhero stuff and 50-60% indie/non-superhero material. I think I read some 60 trades last year, and bought more. I continually have a backlog. It's surprisingly become one of my largest hobbies.

gerg

Have people seen these "history of art"-themed Avengers alternative covers for Marvel comics in April? The Lautrec variant is awful, but the Winnie the Pooh one is wonderful. : 3

Machine

So this catwoman and ressurection man vol 1 stuff being solicited, are these trades of the new 52 stuff or of old runs?

Looks like the Resurrection Man trade is from the first series (Volume 1) and the Catwoman trade is from the Brubaker run (Volume 3). Both are worth reading.

Ichigo

Alright Comic-GAF need some help here. I've wanted to read a good series that is spy/metal gear/covert-ops ish. A friend recommended Secret Warriors. I read it and loved it. Now I got nothing to read. Suggestions?

Comics Alliance has published an article about John Rozum's departure from 'Static Shock', in which the author himself explains in-depth the situation that led to his departure and the book's cancellation.

Link (Comics Alliance)

A few excerpts:

From the first issue on, I was essentially benched by Harvey Richards and artist/writer Scott McDaniel... The man who'd never written anything was suddenly more expert than me and the editor was agreeing with him. Scott had also never read a Static comic book, nor seen the cartoon series, yet was telling me that my dialogue didn't sound true to the character and would "fix it."
There was more concern about seeing that the title sold and didn't get cancelled than there was in telling good stories and having something coherent to bring readers in... It was a lot of grasping at straws and trying to second guess what would keep it selling. It was decided that "bigger action" on every page of every issue was the key.
I even voiced my unhappiness with Harvey Richards who promised me that the situation would change. When I received an email from Harvey telling me that he and Scott had been plotting out the series without me, after Harvey had promised me that I'd be back in the driver's seat as the writer, I'd had enough and quit.
My negative experience was exclusively with these two people and not with anyone else at DC Comics, or with DC as a whole. As I said, no one knew any of this was happening until I quit and let the executives at DC know why. Anyone who wants to believe that my experience was some general DC policy would be wrong to think that... Again, they handled the situation, once I quit, rather well, I thought.

EDIT:

Alright Comic-GAF need some help here. I've wanted to read a good series that is spy/metal gear/covert-ops ish. A friend recommended Secret Warriors. I read it and loved it. Now I got nothing to read. Suggestions?
Flashy fake spy stuff, or real spy stuff? For real spy stuff Rucka's 'Queen & Country' is great.

Satch

Banned
why the hell did they even hire him if they were gonna be fucknuts about the whole thing and not let him write it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom