• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! #8 / January 2012 - Happy New Year, Comic Book GAF!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesotenso

According to Amazon the HC comes out in Feb and the paperback in August. Is this right ?

Daredevil rose slightly in December estimated Diamond sales. Wish it was higher.

Nesotenso

I was re-reading Daredevil and I like how the bugle recap pages foreshadow future arcs.

Love so many sequences from this book. The wedding and backup in issue one. Matt fighting crime in issue 4. Issue 7 with the blind kids. I love this book so much.

tm24

I know. First Neal Adams than Simonson. Who's next?

Pull list for tomorrow

NOV110133 BATMAN #5 $2.99
NOV110104 JUSTICE LEAGUE #5 $3.99
NOV110153 NIGHTWING #5 $2.99
NOV110111 WONDER WOMAN #5 $2.99

AUG110514 CHEW #23 $2.99

NOV110531 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #678 $3.99
NOV110493 AVENGERS #21 $3.99
NOV110529 DAREDEVIL #8 $2.99
NOV110547 MOON KNIGHT #9 $3.99
NOV110552 THUNDERBOLTS #169 $2.99
NOV110515 ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN #6 WITH DIGITAL CODE (RES) $3.99
NOV110576 UNCANNY X-FORCE #20 XREGG $3.99
NOV110564 UNCANNY X-MEN #5 $3.99
NOV110533 VENOM #12 $2.99

1) How I lived this long without 100 Bullets Deluxe Edition vol. 1?
2) Bradshaw really killed it on WaXM. Fantastic stuff. Although Edie has a haircut I'm not crazy about.

I know. First Neal Adams than Simonson. Who's next?

Pull list for tomorrow

NOV110133 BATMAN #5 $2.99
NOV110104 JUSTICE LEAGUE #5 $3.99
NOV110153 NIGHTWING #5 $2.99
NOV110111 WONDER WOMAN #5 $2.99

AUG110514 CHEW #23 $2.99

NOV110531 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #678 $3.99
NOV110493 AVENGERS #21 $3.99
NOV110529 DAREDEVIL #8 $2.99
NOV110547 MOON KNIGHT #9 $3.99
NOV110552 THUNDERBOLTS #169 $2.99
NOV110515 ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN #6 WITH DIGITAL CODE (RES) $3.99
NOV110576 UNCANNY X-FORCE #20 XREGG $3.99
NOV110564 UNCANNY X-MEN #5 $3.99
NOV110533 VENOM #12 $2.99

Um, like none of those books came out today.

lol

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Just read the latest Invincible and it was so good. Definitely liked the twist in this issue.

Has this ever happened before?

Groo_Conan1.jpg

GROO VS. CONAN #1 (of 4)
Mark Evanier (W), Sergio Aragonés (A), Thomas Yeates (A), and Tom Luth (C)
On sale Apr 18
FC, 32 pages
$3.50
Miniseries

It had to happen: the most heroic warrior in history meets the stupidest as Robert E. Howard's immortal Conan the Barbarian crosses swords with Sergio Aragones' Groo the Wanderer in Groo vs. Conan #1. This four-issue miniseries was concocted by the Eisner Award-winning team of Mark Evanier and Sergio Aragones, aided by master illustrator Thomas Yeates and master colorist Tom Luth. Will Conan annihilate Groo? Will Groo turn out to be the man who can defeat Conan? We'll see.

• From Mark Evanier and Sergio Aragonés!
Dark Horse solicitations for April 2012

shut it, asshole!

you just reminded me jhw3 is off art duties for the next arc :(((((((((((((((

No need for such bat language. :p

Did Brubaker change up his writing for this new Cap series? I swear this new series just reads more like a superhero comic and not the political espionage stuff he was doing on the old series.

I'm not sure if its a change in writing, or just working with an artist that doesn't have a slavish dedication to photo reference, realism, and general visual monotony.

shut it, asshole!

you just reminded me jhw3 is off art duties for the next arc :(((((((((((((((

I'm actually kinda excited to see a new take on Batwoman, the only artist who's ever really drawn her is JH Williams, and random people from 52.

Amy Reeder is a fantastic artist

I'm actually kinda excited to see a new take on Batwoman, the only artist who's ever really drawn her is JH Williams, and random people from 52.

Amy Reeder is a fantastic artist

I love her covers, but her interior stuff from that preview a ways back wasn't totally super.

Oh, guys.

HOLY FUCK AT THE NEW SCALP'D.

WOWWWW.

Wonder if the new Daredevil series will finally hit digital next week with #8, would be really stupid of Marvel to have a 2 part story start in a comic available digitally (Amazing Spidey #677) and end in a comic that people with no easy access to stores (or lazy and would rather not venture into town just for comics like me) can't get.

Scarlet Spider is only available on the spin-off Marvel only app, that's dumb, hopefully just a mistake.

Guys.

Logan's deadpan confession.
Administrative problems galore.
Welcome new students Genesis and Angel.
Guest speaker Deathlok and his wacky probability powers!
The new "Days of Future Past."
Bobby looking out for his bro.
Pregnant Kitty cliffhanger!
Doop raking the lawn.

Wolverine and the X-Men is just SO. F*CKING. GOOD. How is that possible? :O

EDIT: And perhaps best of all Nick Bradshaw just KILLS IT on the artwork. Straight up HOMICIDE.

Guys.

Doop raking the lawn.

EDIT: And perhaps best of all Nick Bradshaw just KILLS IT on the artwork. Straight up HOMICIDE.

Another
Days of Future Past
is just what we needed

lol Captain America actually lets his teammates torture people

bad Warren Ellis, bad! *bops on head with rolled up newspaper*

See! Comics is overrun with libruls. Warren Ellis is just another leftie confusing the character of Cap with the bully policies of an outdated administration. That guy on Bleeding Cool was right! :p

Who were some of the classic Wolverine villains in the Claremont run?

I'm coming up with Sabertooth, Lady Deathstrike, and Omega Red off the top of my head.

Luther Strode #4 was amazing. Luther meets the Librarian who reveals some of the secrets to his power and sets in motion an unpleasant chain of events for Luther.

Orchid #4 was equally awesome.

Jedeye can start loving Image now as oatmeal golems and AIDS is coming to Image courtesy of Frank Quietly and Mark Millar. Here's to hoping Millar makes it worth Quietly's while. I may not like the guys art, but he doesn't deserve the sort of shit Millar has been crapping out the past four or five years.

Picked up a JLA: Classified run by Jose Luis Garcia Lopez, Klaus Janson, and Gail Simone. Fun to look at. Introduced some crappy new villains (think M.Bison) for 2005. Even had a few moments of levity I appreciated.

tm24

ok, this is what was in my box today

Marvel
Amazing Spider-Man #677
Captain America #7
Incredible Hulk #4
Journey Into Mystery #633
Scarlet Spider #1
Secret Avengers #21
Ultimate Comics X-Men #6, $3.99
Wolverine #300
Wolverine And The X-Men #4
X-Factor #230
X-Men Legacy #260.1

DC
Batman And Robin #5, $2.99
Batwoman #5
Deathstroke #5, $2.99
Demon Knights #5, $2.99
Green Lantern #5
Resurrection Man #5,
Suicide Squad #5, $2.99
Unwritten #33, $2.99

OTHER
Invincible #87

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Guys.

Doop raking the lawn.

I am absolutely losing my shit over this issue. I can't remember the last time I laughed so much at a book and just had a general sense of giddiness while reading the entire thing. And the art. Good god, the art is superhuman. I'm sitting on a stack of comics right now that I couldn't wait to read fifteen minutes ago and now they might as well be kindling.

I am absolutely losing my shit over this issue. I can't remember the last time I laughed so much at a book and just had a general sense of giddiness while reading the entire thing. And the art. Good god, the art is superhuman. I'm sitting on a stack of comics right now that I couldn't wait to read fifteen minutes ago and now they might as well be kindling.

Aaron broke comics today.

Forever.

tm24

Omg. WatXM was everything you guys hyped it up to be. Book of the month. Until DD8 comes out. WatXM stuff

I marked hard for Future Quire having the Phoenix on his costume

Also, the dartboard with Cyclops picture and the Wolverine/Beast scoreboard is incredible

"Who am I?"
"That...is what you are here to discover"

That scene actually got the biggest smile from me this issue, such a perfect answer. Outside the book's high-concept action and witty dialog, there are real emotional notes in WATXM few other X-books can manage.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
It's staggering how many plot threads are weaved in this single issue. All the easter egg/fanservice bits you all mention in the art and environment are just the amazing cherry on top.

tm24

Just found out about Cullen Bunn taking over Captain America and Bucky, now renamed Cap & Hawkeye. Great for him, i love Bunn's work on Sixth Gun

Arol

Oh snaps, Batwoman was super sweet.

Wondering how she's going to put at odds with Batman in future issues.

Sorted some unsorted books.

Now have a box of pure amazing:

Arthur Adams (Fantastic Four, Gumby, Ultimate X, Tom Strong's Terrific Tales)
Dan Brereton
Alan Davis (Avengers, Avengers Prime, Batman & The Outsiders, Thor, etc.)
Michael Golden
Jason Pearson
Wally Wood

I need to restructure my entire collection like this. Get all the essential runs by creators I love in ONE spot so I can always pull from there for godlike entertainment.

Looks like funnybook GAF's new boytoy is just 11 years behind Arthur Adams in the tiny faces department:

88692414997.8.GIF

LOL LOL LOL

Reminds me of this excerpt from Art & Fear:

For the artist, the dilemma seems obvious: risk rejection by exploring new worlds, or court acceptance by following well-explored paths. Needless to say, the latter strategy is the overwhelming drug of choice where acceptance is the primary goal. Make work that looks like art, and acceptance is automatic.

Ugh - just need to wait for the weather to break before I head into the small, cold, and dark attic to sift through it all.

I will still talk shit about Bradshaw when it's deserved, but fuck all if he didn't nail this bitch this week!

Deathlok you sexy bitch!

EDIT: aw man now I want that Tom Strong book! Pearson and Adams?! Did AA do any interiors, TTOB?

LiQuid!

I can't stop staring at the page with
Idie, Quentin, Broo and Kid Gladiator all grown up
. I want to read that book so bad!!! Is it too late to ditch the AOA ongoing and do that one instead?

EDIT: aw man now I want that Tom Strong book! Pearson and Adams?! Did AA do any interiors, TTOB?

WHY DON'T YOU ALREADY HAVE IT?! >:|

Yes, Adams did all the art for the Jonni Future stories. It was a seminal run for him as he just pumped out some of his best work ever for the series. He ended up doing quite a bit of work for America's Best Comics during it's heyday and you should seek it all out before you go waste any more money on shitty clones.

Kevin Nowlan did Tom Strong?

Why did no one inform me of this

YA SHOULD KNOW! YA HEARD? Damn son. 2012 is 2001 all over again.

SUPREME1

Banned
So yesterday I picked up:

Batman 4
Justice League 4
The Dark Knight 4
The Incredible Hulk 3
Uncanny X-Force 13~17
World War Hulk TPB (the only one I've read so far, just finished it up right now actually)

Hot damn, I am now officially a fan of John Romita Jr. I loved the art thru the entire book. I've always thought of his art as quirky, but it just clicked with me in this book and I really loved the look of it. Some of his stuff has been growing on me recently, just stuff I've seen here and there, mainly single panels not entire books... and again, this kinda brought it home.

I was wondering what TPB you guys would recommend with Romita Jr as the artist.

Also liked the story in WWH, it was fun and so much epic ass kicking.

JR Jr. works exceedingly well on some titles and is complete shit on others.

He's one of the greatest Daredevil artists of all time, but putting him on X-Men was like being punched in the face repeatedly by a kangaroo with boxing gloves. :(

Gotta stop being lazy and see if the library was WWH.

No need for such bat language. :p

Did Brubaker change up his writing for this new Cap series? I swear this new series just reads more like a superhero comic and not the political espionage stuff he was doing on the old series.

I'm not sure if its a change in writing, or just working with an artist that doesn't have a slavish dedication to photo reference, realism, and general visual monotony.

Definitely different, not as dark, can't tell if I like it yet. He'll probably write Winter Soldier that way

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
See! Comics is overrun with libruls. Warren Ellis is just another leftie confusing the character of Cap with the bully policies of an outdated administration. That guy on Bleeding Cool was right! :p

Who were some of the classic Wolverine villains in the Claremont run?

I'm coming up with Sabertooth, Lady Deathstrike, and Omega Red off the top of my head.

Luther Strode #4 was amazing. Luther meets the Librarian who reveals some of the secrets to his power and sets in motion an unpleasant chain of events for Luther.

Orchid #4 was equally awesome.

Jedeye can start loving Image now as oatmeal golems and AIDS is coming to Image courtesy of Frank Quietly and Mark Millar. Here's to hoping Millar makes it worth Quietly's while. I may not like the guys art, but he doesn't deserve the sort of shit Millar has been crapping out the past four or five years.

Picked up a JLA: Classified run by Jose Luis Garcia Lopez, Klaus Janson, and Gail Simone. Fun to look at. Introduced some crappy new villains (think M.Bison) for 2005. Even had a few moments of levity I appreciated.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=36366

Wait what??! Man, kinda feels like Quitely is cheating on GMoz, especially since GM and Millar and like bitter exes washing their dirty laundry in public. I don't have too much against Millar though, he's done some fun books over the years. 1985 was a great read, Kickass was fun at the time, hell I even enjoyed Wanted for it's sheer OTT nihilism and nastiness.

Will wait for the trade I think, it would be cool to get a massive lump of FQ in one sitting. Thanks for the heads up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom