• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! #8 / January 2012 - Happy New Year, Comic Book GAF!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
1167885_ful.jpg
1164270_ful.jpg
1163875_ful.jpg

And I got the Spider Island HC.

Definitely different, not as dark, can't tell if I like it yet. He'll probably write Winter Soldier that way

Yeah, that's probably it. My main complaint with his old Cap run is that it was more of a S.H.I.E.L.D. / Winter Soldier book than a Cap book.

Will wait for the trade I think, it would be cool to get a massive lump of FQ in one sitting. Thanks for the heads up

Sweet pun bro! Welcome to the club. :D

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Kind of sad to see OMAC on the cut list since I enjoyed what I read, but I'm just as guilty of not picking it up so I only have myself to blame. The rest of the stuff I had no interest in past flipping through the first issues.

Well, glad I didn't stick with OMAC. I just didn't have the money to add titles like that to my pull when there was so much other stuff out there. I did enjoy the first issue though.

I just saw on Twitter (from Scott Snyder) that the backups in Batman and Tec are not crossing over after all. Snyder says Batman will continue to be self contained. Yay!!

Suh-weet. Guess I'm back to buying Batman monthly. How quickly it changes! :p

Awesome new books but Oooooooomac! *sniff*

Hey, more mainstream press coverage!

OMAC should not have been a boring mess and it would have lasted. :\

Though that's what I get for falling for indiscriminate taste funnybook GAF's plug.

Here's to hoping some of these new series last longer and it's not these legendary artists for 1-3 issues.

Worlds' Finest, written by Paul Levitz with art by George Perez and Kevin Maguire :O

Dial H for Hero, and he gushes at the thought of taking the reins of Dial H and working with famed British artist Brian Bolland. :O :O :O

The War That Time Forgot in a main story by writer J.T. Krul and artist Ariel Olivetti, with rotating backup stories featuring old standbys such as The Unknown Soldier by writers Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti and artist Dan Panosian :O

Bummer Unknown Soldier is just a backup, and while I enjoy Gray/Palmiotti they are the hardest left leaning writers working today, which makes me a little concerned for their take on the Soldier.

There was nothing boring about OMAC. It was a purely fun book that burst off the pages. Something we need a lot more of.

Not sure what book you were reading, TTOB but boring is not a word that's even arguable. o_O

Machine

OMAC should not have been a boring mess and it would have lasted.

I was loving OMAC mainly for the art which I find mildly surprising. When I first got back into comics in college in the 80s, I hated Giffen's art but now I can't get enough of it. I'm still not sure if my tastes have changed or if he has just gotten better.

There was nothing boring about OMAC. It was a purely fun book that burst off the pages. Something we need a lot more of.

Not sure what book you were reading, TTOB but boring is not a word that's even arguable. o_O

I was reading Omac and it was a mess. Many disjointed fights. Fights of over powered characters against vastly underpowered characters. It was just completely wrong.

Folks compared it to Savage Dragon to me, and they couldn't have been more wrong. But if that's what people think Savage Dragon is, then I can see why they're afraid of reading it; but I assure you Dragon is vastly better than Omac.

I said screw it and just picked up the Kirby collection rather than deal with the crap reboot.

I was loving OMAC mainly for the art which I find mildly surprising. When I first got back into comics in college in the 80s, I hated Giffen's art but now I can't get enough of it. I'm still not sure if my tastes have changed or if he has just gotten better.

I think he's gotten better.

Whatever, man. Different strokes I guess.

Not really. The writing just wasn't great for a book about a super strong dude that hits things. Look at Greg Pak's final run on Hulk, what Jeph Loeb did with Rulk, and what Erik Larsen does with Savage Dragon. These are writers that know how to write a book about a super strong dude that hits things.

I know folks love to dump on Didio, but I'm laying the blame for this one at his feet.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I liked in the first issue of OMAC how that lady's face came off and then there was a machine gun underneath. Issue 2 didn't have a lady whose face came off to reveal a machine gun so I stopped reading.

Marvel's "Next Big Thing" reveal of the day is... oh my.

1326382022.jpg

Source

Guys, if we are truly getting a Rucka/Slott/Waid helmed teamup then OMG I CAN'T STOP CUUUMMMMMIIIING!!! :O :O :O

LiQuid!

Anybody got a good guess at how Batman Inc is going to fit into the New 52 continuity? Off the top of my head I guess they could have Stephanie Brown be from Earth 2, which could explain having two Batgirls, but I don't know enough about DC history to know how it would work.

Satch

Banned
DC that's not what i meant when i said i wanted a female led world's finest book

that's not what i meant at all

So, my friend's been trying to get me into the New 52 (I'm a casual comic reader with little beyond Alan Moore and Warren Ellish in my repertoire) and now China Mieville is rebooting Dial H, so I'm pretty much in. Anything else you guys recommend? I'd probably go for writer pedigree more than anything else.

Did anyone read Scarlet Spider #1? If so, thoughts?

I read it. Quick synopsis of Kaine's back story and what his train of thought is post Spider Island.

It's like a darker Spiderman. New villain. Takes place in Houston.

Don't foresee a long run. The art is ok, and it's written by Chris Yost. I think he wrote XForce before Remender.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Anybody got a good guess at how Batman Inc is going to fit into the New 52 continuity? Off the top of my head I guess they could have Stephanie Brown be from Earth 2, which could explain having two Batgirls, but I don't know enough about DC history to know how it would work.

Did they say that it takes place within the new continuity?

FoneBone

So, my friend's been trying to get me into the New 52 (I'm a casual comic reader with little beyond Alan Moore and Warren Ellish in my repertoire) and now China Mieville is rebooting Dial H, so I'm pretty much in. Anything else you guys recommend? I'd probably go for writer pedigree more than anything else.

Animal Man, Swamp Thing, and I, Vampire. Especially Animal Man.

Yes.

Basically, think of it like this: pre-New 52 Batman Inc still happened, but the parts that conflict with the new continuity didn't happen exactly as they were originally told. Just don't think about it too hard. I don't expect any of that to be specifically referenced.

LiQuid!

No they didn't, but that would be reeeeeeal silly if they brought it out as a branded New 52 book and it was the only title not in continuity.

Guys, if we are truly getting a Rucka/Slott/Waid helmed teamup then OMG I CAN'T STOP CUUUMMMMMIIIING!!! :O :O :O

Less then two hours til we find out what this is, but Punisher/DD/Spidey are all under the Stephen Wacker editing umbrella. Spider-Man is gonna be doing Ends of the Earth until June something in his main book, I know that much.

I was hoping for another good announcement today. Tuesday's announcement of Walter Simonson coming back to monthly comics after ten years got me HYPPPPPED...then when I found out it was on a Bendis book, my heart sunk. This is worst then Mark Millar somehow getting Frank Quitely.

Less then two hours til we find out what this is, but Punisher/DD/Spidey are all under the Stephen Wacker editing umbrella. Spider-Man is gonna be doing Ends of the Earth until June something in his main book, I know that much.

I was hoping for another good announcement today. Tuesday's announcement of Walter Simonson coming back to monthly comics after ten years got me HYPPPPPED...then when I found out it was on a Bendis book, my heart sunk. This is worst then Mark Millar somehow getting Frank Quitely.

I can't believe I was ever mad at you.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Marvel's "Next Big Thing" reveal of the day is... oh my.

1326382022.jpg

Source

Ah yes, the new marvel hero: Spiderdevil-Punisher.

Batman Inc. is all pre-New 52, as far as I've heard. It still happened in New 52, though.

Slayven

I read it. Quick synopsis of Kaine's back story and what his train of thought is post Spider Island.

It's like a darker Spiderman. New villain. Takes place in Houston.

Don't foresee a long run. The art is ok, and it's written by Chris Yost. I think he wrote XForce before Remender.

Houston? Webslinging really only works in NYC. When Spiderman went to LA once he damn near died.

DC that's not what i meant when i said i wanted a female led world's finest book

that's not what i meant at all

You better own Elseworld's Finest: Supergirl / Batgirl already!

New 52 female World's Finest should be Wonder Woman and Powergirl!

Hey! You ditched Supergirl for Wondy, I say we ditch Batrugmuncher for PeeGee to make it a totally fair team trade.

Unless the new PG costune sucks like the rest of the blew 52. Then you can keep it.

In Dan Didio's keister with Blowmac!

LiQuid!

Batman Inc. is all pre-New 52, as far as I've heard. It still happened in New 52, though.
I know it all has been up til this point, but are they really going to New 52 brand it and have a totally different Batgirl running around in it than there is in the regular Batgirl title? That seems totally antithetical to what they're trying to do. They are still releasing comics outside of the umbrella of the New 52 banner, so I don't know why they wouldn't stick Inc out there instead of under the New 52 branding, aside from perhaps a slight(?) sales boost if they weren't going to fit it into continuity.

Satch

Banned
You better own Elseworld's Finest: Supergirl / Batgirl already!

New 52 female World's Finest should be Wonder Woman and Powergirl!

Hey! You ditched Supergirl for Wondy, I say we ditch Batrugmuncher for PeeGee to make it a totally fair team trade.

Unless the new PG costune sucks like the rest of the blew 52. Then you can keep it.

In Dan Didio's keister with Blowmac!

WW and Peej have already teamed up once!

i want kate/diana debauchery this time. they can go listen to shitty punk music and cause trouble together

I feel like Rip Van Winkle, I just woke up. What happened? Static cancelled, Blue Beetle Survived? What are the six new books? What Universe am I in?

Satch

Banned
I feel like Rip Van Winkle, I just woke up. What happened? Static cancelled, Blue Beetle Survived? What are the six new books? What Universe am I in?

OMAC, Mr. Terrific, Static Shock, Black Hawks, Hawk and Dove, and Men of War are getting cancelled

World's Finest, Ravagers, Dial H For Hero, Earth 2, and Batman Inc are coming in

edit: also GI Combat is coming in as well

I doubt I'm the only one who finds it hard to believe that those six New 52 books are the only ones that have fallen below the cancellation threshold; looking at the sales charts, I'd be surprised if there weren't at least twice as many. I suspect that DC simply only had six new books ready to launch in May, and that they're taking a financial hit (albeit probably not an enormous one) by publishing money-losing books for a few more months, for the sake of maintaining the New 52 branding, rather than a larger mass cancellation that would have them publishing less than 52 ongoings.

Anyway, Mackie back is goddamn hilarious, but China Mieville on what's essentially a Vertigo Dial H for Hero book? Must buy, along with Batman Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom