• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chorazin

Lastly transformers mtmte is the best dysfunctional team book since Peter David's early mid 2000's work on X-force and Lanning & Abnett GoG run. If you like your heroes to be fuck ups and somehow succeed in spite themselves that is the book to read. Transformer RiD is a bit of a bore in my opinion but so much happens between the two series you got to read it to understand the whole story.

Plus MTMTE has Swerve, one of the best characters in modern comics. It's rare for comics to have a completely over-the-top wisecracking character who understands that he's just putting on a front, but is too scared to drop it because he really feels "They don't like me for me, they just like my jokes." as he confessed to a drunkenly passed out Ultra Magnus.

NEO0MJ

For those not clued in to the Yost/Kyle hate that gets thrown about.

the students left unaffected by M-Day happened to be the more popular or interesting ones (with some exceptions), and after some tearful goodbyes the now depowered students were loaded onto a bus and sent back to their families.

And then a rocket attack blew that bus up, killing them all.

WTF? Why?!

Vyer

Are there any great Superman arcs/runs where Superman does mostly space/non-Earth stuff? I got the urge to read something like that. I probably just need to re-read All Star Superman and/or Final Crisis.
r.

It's a little dated, but the Exile storyline from the late 80s is one of my old favorites. It occurs a little after Byrne's story of Superman 'killing' the three Phantom Zone villains and the breakdown he has after it. As a result he exiles himself into space which leads into a great run culminating in an early Mongul/Warworld appearance.

There's a trade for it, here's the cover:

SupermanExile.jpg

Are there any great Superman arcs/runs where Superman does mostly space/non-Earth stuff? I got the urge to read something like that. I probably just need to re-read All Star Superman and/or Final Crisis.

Anything Superboy/Superman and the Legion of Superheroes is almost guaranteed to be set in space. Also, for most of New Krypton, Superman isn't on Earth.

WAIT, WHAT?!?

LifeWithArchie-36-FrancescoFrancavilla-f3150.jpg

Archie Comics had developed a reputation for attention-getting moves. Up next? The death of Archie.

You read that correctly -- and it's not in the casualty-heavy, zombified "Afterlife With Archie," either. The acclaimed magazine-format "Life With Archie" series -- which has presented two alternate future versions of the Riverdale gang as adults, one where Archie married Betty and one where he married Veronica -- will reach its climax with July's issue #36, where the publisher's titular character will sacrifice his life to save a friend.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=52009

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=52012

WHAT!! Did that really happen?

WTF? Why?!
Following M-Day the anti-mutant rhetoric being spewed by conservative religious groups really ramped up; they took the sudden depowering of 99% of the world's mutants as a sign from God that their cause is righteous, and that the time to put an end to "the mutant menace" was now. Reverend William Stryker was at the forefront of that movement, both publicly as a TV evangelist and privately as the leader of a militant group; Stryker's group started targeting not just mutants for extermination, but former mutants "cured" by M-Day as well, and they kicked off their campaign with the rocket attack and an assault on Xavier's school.

If Mutants/Meta Humans really existed, where would you guys stand on the issue? I'm not talking a fictional world where the damage is repaired by next issue and people come back from death, but a real world scenario where beings who can cause massive amounts of death and destruction walk the Earth.

I think I'd fall into the contain/control/
eliminate
camp. Can't trust that kind of power to most of the population.

tim1138

If Mutants/Meta Humans really existed, where would you guys stand on the issue? I'm not talking a fictional world where the damage is repaired by next issue and people come back from death, but a real world scenario where beings who can cause massive amounts of death and destruction walk the Earth.

eliminate
camp. Can't trust that kind of power to 99% of the population.

I'd support whatever side got me a magical power ring from a sentient planet.

eliminate

I'd just smoke that Terrigen herb and join them.

Well that's ok, Kirkman is an acquired taste for many!

But Invincible is somewhat better than The Walking Dead right now (dropped it a while ago sadly, maybe someday Robert will get it on the right track), I don't think many people would disagree with that.

Holy cow at the #110 preview, this could go along my long-term thoughts that
if Mark does bang/date Anissa and Kirkman doesn't make him and Eve play make-up down the line, this could lead him further down the path his father once was at.

While this could be forced drama, I am hoping that this could actually be a stepping-stone towards a
Mark heel turn

That would be great. I really don't like it when a writer has the main character continuously
break up with a girl, get with another one, just to break up and get back with the original girl over and over again
(looking at you Bendis).

EDIT:
Always liked Anissa's design anyway. A real G would have went for that when she first appeared and wanted him to destroy Earth, fuck humans lol

eliminate

I would welcome our new mutant overlords. People with your viewpoint would be dead in a week. Even a couple dozen people with that level of power would conquer the world in a very short period of time. May as well roll with it.

Love After Life w/ Archie,, never read the regular Archie. But I will buy Life With Archie for the Francavilla cover! (he is not doing the art correct?)

Fiona Staples cover is awesome also

Dysun

Reading comprehension issues perhaps? I felt like I understood it just fine (
first mutant president - explosions - lots dead - Brotherhood had enough of this shit
).

ANXM and Uncanny continue to be great books. Kitty was right to leave the Jean Grey school, all is well. The Trial of Jean Grey was so good.

No need to be a cocky twat, perhaps your reading comprehension skills need work to decipher my meaning
There was no explanation given for who killed Dazzler or the monsters that invaded in the immediate aftermath. That's what I was referring to

Reading comprehension issues perhaps? I felt like I understood it just fine (
first mutant president - explosions - lots dead - Brotherhood had enough of this shit
).

ANXM and Uncanny continue to be great books. Kitty was right to leave the Jean Grey school, all is well. The Trial of Jean Grey was so good.

That flash forward President Dazz, drawn by Immonen was just staggeringly incredible comics.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
It's a little dated, but the Exile storyline from the late 80s is one of my old favorites. It occurs a little after Byrne's story of Superman 'killing' the three Phantom Zone villains and the breakdown he has after it. As a result he exiles himself into space which leads into a great run culminating in an early Mongul/Warworld appearance.

There's a trade for it, here's the cover:

Thanks! That looks really interesting. If it isn't too 80s for me, that could be what I'm looking for.

Anything Superboy/Superman and the Legion of Superheroes is almost guaranteed to be set in space. Also, for most of New Krypton, Superman isn't on Earth.

Thanks! I'm not too well-versed in Superman/DC stuff. Would you mind pointing me at a specific run or at one of your favorite arcs from that group of comics (bonus points if it's a TPB)?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
No need to be a cocky twat, perhaps your reading comprehension skills need work to decipher my meaning
There was no explanation given for who killed Dazzler or the monsters that invaded in the immediate aftermath. That's what I was referring to

Cocky twat is kinda my thing, is whiny bitch yours? None of that stuff really mattered, especially in a divergent timeline. All you needed to know was "bad shit went down".

dan2026

I don't understand Archie.

Is it a kids book or is it one of those it looks kiddy but its actually for adults type thing?

Bleeding Cool has spoilers with pictures for the Future's End #0 FCBD issue. And it all looks somehow... familiar.
No one's sitting down, though.

I don't understand Archie.

Is it a kids book or is it one of those it looks kiddy but its actually for adults type thing?
The answer to that question is... yes/no? Different Archie books appeal to different audiences; I think the Life with Archie books are appealing more to young adult and older fans, though.

tim1138

Bleeding Cool has spoilers with pictures for the Future's End #0 FCBD issue. And it all looks somehow... familiar.
No one's sitting down, though.

And much to the surprise of no one, Rich makes a Twilight of the Superheroes reference. Dude just needs to let it go.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Old Flash and Old Man Cold team-up. Fuck it, Future's End just shot to the top of the bought pile.

Owzers

Future's End looks bad. You guys will have to read it for me and report back, no way i'm buying into that.

I'm really sick of
"all the heroes are taken over by something and are the enemy and we have to SURVIVE" stuff. Reminds me of Final Crisis and Blackest Night too.

I was already gonna get it, but I'm delighted that Amethyst is still getting attention, even if only slightly. Both in Justice League Beyond and now Futures End.

Is Jughead really sitting at Archie's grave eating a burger? He aint shit.

Damn son. That's cold. He's honoring a bro the only way he knows how.

tim1138

"We all float down here in Riverdale…"

Well played Benjamin, well played.

GrandHarrier said:
Ironically enough I think I want to buy that particular variant. It's glorious in it's horror.

I didn't say I didn't like it, just that's it nightmare fuel. You should frame it and hang it in random places in your abode and scare the living bajesus out of guests.

PsychBat!

Banned
As someone who dropped Teen Titans after Death of the Family, I'm interested in the Wonder Girl/Red Robin relationship, has that been expanded on or did nothing happen?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I find it hilarious that they aren't like, "Hey let's try and restore your powers or find something else for you to do since you're like family." No its, you're human now, GTFO normie.

which makes the sactimonious scott shit as of late funny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom