• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
After way too much thought, I believe the two books would be Deadly Class and Transformers: More than Meets the Eye. Followed by Uncanny Avengers and Superman Wonder Woman. Or American Vampire or TMNT or Daredevil. Damn this is hard. I love my books.

Edit: And Zero... and Manhattan Projects.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I keep hearing about Zero... What does the plot look like?

It's a little like Queen & Country, with some futuristic/sci-fi elements. The spy missions are played more realistically, more like actual ops rather than James Bond. Less superhero, more espionage. There's some bookending with showing the lead character, Zero, many years in the future, having turned against the agency he previously worked for. It's a world of spies, and as we flashback he's learning that there may be discrepancies between the stated and actual goals of his missions and the agency. Most of the issues so far have each focused on a single mission, but IIRC, #4 and #5 tied directly together.

Maybe someone else can better articulate it. Very compelling, and great artwork from a variety of illustrators.

Messi

I have to share this. DC got me into comics, I love their characters and always will. I'm not turning my back on them but they have disappointed me lately. I think it's mostly the Forever Evil delay but any momentum they had has hit a brick wall. It had allowed Marvel to come in and take some interest away. I'm glad I have experienced Marvel, there is great books with great characters.

Now it sucks because I don't have room to add any more books for the rest of the year unless I drop something. I blame DC for this mess. What do I drop? This is me and my wife's shared pull. She said she will drop Catwoman so there is a start.

Bkp0y2iIIAAq-bF.jpg

Clearly your bias against Queen Nocenti has affected this decision. Its sad to see what with all the other trash on that list.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Are there any great Superman arcs/runs where Superman does mostly space/non-Earth stuff? I got the urge to read something like that. I probably just need to re-read All Star Superman and/or Final Crisis.

Oh yeah, and I'm almost done with Volume 1 of Fear Agent. So far it is indeed great.

What are the absolute best runs of Daredevil? The current series is the best thing I have read since getting into comics and I need more.

Miller, Bendis, and Brubaker.

Boogiepop

Man, when I was waiting for Captain America to start up in theaters the other day I super depressed myself. Some trailer for some Michael Bay zombie thing or whatever came on and it was saying something about a virus and showed what seemed to be a woman politician or whatever, and I had a thought: Imagine if somebody was making a Y: The Last Man TV series! It just makes so much sense to me, but it will never, ever happen. :(

Also, I finished picking up the last of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Ultimate Collection books recently. I actually still need to read a lot of what I own (I've only read the first two), but I really enjoyed what I've read. Any other TMNT collections/comics/runs that are worthwhile?

Quoting myself in hopes of some suggestions. Didn't get any responses last time (maybe because it was tagged on the bottom of an unrelated subject matter?), but any chance I could get a recommendation or two?

Messi

I don't even understand why that last page happened in BotA. It seems completely out of left field.

Kitty telling everyone that bobby said/made promises in private? What a bitch move. I don't even remember him saying anything. Sucks because Kitty is my fav character in All new and now I have to go read about her in Uncanny. A book I don't like nearly as much :(

Also they killed Deadpool :(

tumblr_inline_n1zi6sWJOw1s5cubs.gif

I don't even understand why that last page happened in BotA. It seems completely out of left field.

Kitty telling everyone that bobby said/made promises in private? What a bitch move. I don't even remember him saying anything. Sucks because Kitty is my fav character in All new and now I have to go read about her in Uncanny. A book I don't like nearly as much :(

tumblr_inline_n1zi6sWJOw1s5cubs.gif

She is still in All-New. Post-BotA ANXM focuses on Kitty and the O5 at Cyclops' school.

You don't have to read Uncanny X-Men unless you want to read a bunch of pandering for cyclops fans.

Messi

She is still in All-New. Post-BotA ANXM focuses on Kitty and the O5 at Cyclops' school.

Well then, that is good to hear.

Where should I start with this?
I was pretty interested in it.

Honestly i'd just start at the beginning of All new X-Men. its only 10ish issues until you get to Battle of the Atom and then get the Atom trade as that takes issues from 4 different books for the event.

You don't have to read Uncanny X-Men unless you want to read a bunch of pandering for cyclops fans.

Oh shit son, shots fired. Cyclops is a real piece of shit. What a broken ass leader. Couldn't even lead a team out of a wet paper bag.

I only read Uncanny for Magik and sometimes Emma.

Boogiepop

The current TMNT run is amazingly good and I reccomend it 100%

Awesome! I'll definitely look into that. Is this the one that seemed to be mixing stuff together, IIRC? I seem to recall getting a free comic book day copy of what I'm assuming is this a bit back, and I think it was tying together things from both the comics and the show in a way that seemed pretty neat.

I'm sure this'll be enough to keep me occupied for a while, but just out of curiosity, does anyone know if anyone of the stuff in between the classic run collected in the Ultimate Collections and this newer stuff is worthwhile?

Awesome! I'll definitely look into that. Is this the one that seemed to be mixing stuff together, IIRC? I seem to recall getting a free comic book day copy of what I'm assuming is this a bit back, and I think it was tying together things from both the comics and the show in a way that seemed pretty neat.

If you remember it from the show, it'll probably make an appearance. The Neutrinos were in it, ffs. XD

Dysun

Battle of the Atom was trash
10 issues of going from place to place bitching at each other. Can't believe they didn't even explain what turned them into the nu Brotherhood.

Boogiepop

If you remember it from the show, it'll probably make an appearance. The Neutrinos were in it, ffs. XD

Awesome! Looking forward to this now! Also, looking at wiki there seems to also be some (Villain) Micro-Series and a Secret History of the Foot Clan collections. Are those worth picking up as well? And if so should I worry about reading them in the right order with the main series?

Awesome! Looking forward to this now! Also, looking at wiki there seems to also be some (Villain) Micro-Series and a Secret History of the Foot Clan collections. Are those worth picking up as well? And if so should I worry about reading them in the right order with the main series?

Out of those, I've only read Secret History of the Foot, which gave some great background info on what went down between a few of the main characters way back when.

zeeaykay

Does TMNT get better after the first ten issues or so?I've been enjoying it but it's not grabbing me, and I love the current TV show. Is the cityfall arc a big improvement? The art changes, I know, and I'm not a huge fan of the initial art style.

Cheska

In terms of all the TMNT and Transformers love, what exactly do you guys find so appealing? Is it just nostalgia for these iconic characters, or are the stories actually worth while?

I don't know, I guess I never thought I'd be 25 and reading a Transformers book, especially because I was never particularly interested in them growing up, but there's a first time for everything.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I just read black science and I got to say this was a very interesting issue.

The evil alternative clone though has been a RR mainstay storyline since Fear Agent so the reveal wasn't a big surprise though..... I kind of wish RR was the guy to script out Forever Evil for DC since he knows how to do it well.

In terms of all the TMNT and Transformers love, what exactly do you guys find so appealing? Is it just nostalgia for these iconic characters, or are the stories actually worth while?

I don't know, I guess I never thought I'd be 25 and reading a Transformers book, especially because I was never particularly interested in them growing up, but there's a first time for everything.

I can't speak for TMNT because its not a regular pull

However for transformers IDW had this great idea (that I still feel DC could benefit from if they stole it) of releasing individual character spotlight issues that not only added depth to characters who really didn't have any, it was used for world creating, then it went about taking the characters down paths that honestly I couldn't imagine
see megatron and starscream
. The two combined have made a comic universe that isn't just a comic version of the cartoons but their own story universe.

Lastly transformers mtmte is the best dysfunctional team book since Peter David's early mid 2000's work on X-factor and Lanning & Abnett GoG run. If you like your heroes to be fuck ups and somehow succeed in spite themselves that is the book to read. Transformer RiD is a bit of a bore in my opinion but so much happens between the two series you got to read it to understand the whole story.

JEKKI

trades I recently read:

Avengers -Ultron Unlimited - it was aiite. I don't know anything about Ultron so it was a fun read.

X-O Manowar - Retribution - the first 4 issues of the OG Valiant run from the 90s... and it's so good!!! Unlike Harbinger which was kinda cheesy, this is just real good! Aric is duuuuuuuumb but he fights like a warrior! lol.

SoilBreak

Banned
TMNT is absolutely worth getting just cause it's such a great & fun read. This is coming from someone who wasn't a fan of TMNT as a kid.

Vibranium

Banned
um. no thanks

Well that's ok, Kirkman is an acquired taste for many!

But Invincible is somewhat better than The Walking Dead right now (dropped it a while ago sadly, maybe someday Robert will get it on the right track), I don't think many people would disagree with that.

Holy cow at the #110 preview, this could go along my long-term thoughts that
if Mark does bang/date Anissa and Kirkman doesn't make him and Eve play make-up down the line, this could lead him further down the path his father once was at.

Ugh, Kirkman with another forced drama. I love how he always manages to cover up beautiful art by Ottley with gajillion speech baloons.

While this could be forced drama, I am hoping that this could actually be a stepping-stone towards a
Mark heel turn

akaoni

Banned
EDIT:
My Marvel Unlimited Reader beta Options

You are currently viewing digital comics in our current comic reader. Switch to the new comic reader beta!

Found it in account settings. Passed it a whole bunch of times.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Battle of the Atom was trash
10 issues of going from place to place bitching at each other. Can't believe they didn't even explain what turned them into the nu Brotherhood.

Reading comprehension issues perhaps? I felt like I understood it just fine (
first mutant president - explosions - lots dead - Brotherhood had enough of this shit
).

ANXM and Uncanny continue to be great books. Kitty was right to leave the Jean Grey school, all is well. The Trial of Jean Grey was so good.

Messi

Reading comprehension issues perhaps? I felt like I understood it just fine (
first mutant president - explosions - lots dead - Brotherhood had enough of this shit
).

ANXM and Uncanny continue to be great books. Kitty was right to leave the Jean Grey school, all is well. The Trial of Jean Grey was so good.

Very excited for Vol 4 of all new X-Men this month.

where is saga by the way?

Back on May 21st. They took a break at the end of the last arc.

tim1138

Don't worry, we'll get him back with BIG NEW SNYDER BAT EVENT: The Return of the Dark Knight. 14 issues and no tie-ins.

And by no tie ins you of course mean except for one month when randomly a quarter of the line will tie in because Gotham is the center of the DCU and every character must have connections to it and/or Batman no matter how tenuous. And you'll buy these seven new Batman books we just announced and like it dammit!!!

arkon

Definitely not nostalgia. The book I like the most (MTMTE) of the two doesn't have that many of the iconic characters in them. That's partly why I went for it. It's not just the old familiar faces. There's a nice mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom