• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

For sure, though the current down-to-earth storyline wouldn't fit well with JH's lucious and dreamy art.

Well to be fair I don't think they would have gone in the current direction if they were still on the book. That whole situation still bothers me.

I have no problem with the current creative team I just wish it didn't have to be under these circumstances. I still enjoy the book but to a lesser extent. Its no Catwoman.

Well to be fair I don't think they would have gone in the current direction if they were still on the book. That whole situation still bothers me.

I have no problem with the current creative team I just wish it didn't have to be under these circumstances. I still enjoy the book but to a lesser extent. Its no Catwoman.

What's been going on in Batwoman since Blackman and Williams left? Spoilers plz.

bfwings55

I agree, I wish JH was still on. Batwoman is really his baby.

I'm the opposite on Catwoman though. The first arc of the New 52 Catwoman was the first DC current comic I read and it was amazing, and I read it for a while but eventually had to drop it. It just got so, so bad. Has it gotten better since the Issue 0?

bfwings55

What's been going on in Batwoman since Blackman and Williams left? Spoilers plz.

They're going to cover what happened in JH's last arc in the annual. The current arc is about an art thief stealing paintings that have a map to a treasure I think? Meanwhile Kate meets and scares the shit out of Maggie's daughter. Maggie tells Kate to go to a psychiatrist because she never actually got professional help for all the shit she saw as a child. Honestly it's a good arc, much better than I was expecting with the sudden change in teams.

They're going to cover what happened in JH's last arc in the annual. The current arc is about an art thief stealing paintings that have a map to a treasure I think? Meanwhile Kate meets and scares the shit out of Maggie's daughter. Maggie tells Kate to go to a psychiatrist because she never actually got professional help for all the shit she saw as a child. Honestly it's a good arc, much better than I was expecting with the sudden change in teams.

Needs more wedding. Mostly because it'd be a giant shit in DiDio's mouth. He deserves it.

Marvel

Uncanny Avengers
All New Invaders
All New Ultimates
Amazing Spiderman
Black Widow
Captain Marvel
Daredevil
Elektra
Fantastic 4
All New Ghostrider
Inhuman
Miles Morales Spiderman
Moon Knight
Ms. Marvel
Secret Avengers

Indies

American Vampire
Black Science
Deadly Class
Lazarus
The Wake

Wifes Included to show how much we get. Of course she reads some of mine and vise versa.

Alex & Ada
Rachel Rising
Rat Queens
Revival
Saga
Sex Criminals
Looks okay to me, what's the problem?

>__>

<__<

Messi

I agree, I wish JH was still on. Batwoman is really his baby.

I'm the opposite on Catwoman though. The first arc of the New 52 Catwoman was the first DC current comic I read and it was amazing, and I read it for a while but eventually had to drop it. It just got so, so bad. Has it gotten better since the Issue 0?

No. IIt's gotten actively worse. ComicGAF legend Ann Nocenti is doing horrendous work on it.

Spike I'm gonna pretend that you made an error and didn't mean to erase Harley Quinn from that poor man's list. You wouldn't hold a grudge over the whole mutiny thing would you? It was really Cheskas idea...

bfwings55

No. IIt's gotten actively worse. ComicGAF legend Ann Nocenti is doing horrendous work on it.

That's a goddamned shame. The first arc of New 52 Catwoman was so good. I really loved it and was heartbroken to see the book fall to shit so quickly.

3774957_orig.jpg

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
That's a goddamned shame. The first arc of New 52 Catwoman was so good. I really loved it and was heartbroken to see the book fall to shit so quickly.

3774957_orig.jpg

I've defended that run, and still will, because it's just dumb, sexy fun that has some surprisingly solid moments, but Judd Winick's writing is hilarious on it. Most every line and situation is a fucking cliche.

Spike I'm gonna pretend that you made an error and didn't mean to erase Harley Quinn from that poor man's list. You wouldn't hold a grudge over the whole mutiny thing would you? It was really Cheskas idea...
TOOTY MOO-JUICE AND SHINING DAVE!

See Messi? I can make up names for fictitious comic books too. You're not that special.

>__>

Boogiepop

Oh dang. Didn't realize how much classic TMNT was missing from the Ultimate Collections. Looks like I'll also need to grab the Classics Collections, and those still don't seem to bring the initial run up to 100%! But I guess that's close enough.

Maybe I'll work on grabbing those Classics Collections alongside the trades for the new series...

Vibranium

Banned
Aww yeah, Winter Soldier was great. I hope that in third film if they do
bring back Red Skull in a new body/actor, they use a mask for him like during Bru's run, maybe he'll possess Lukin.

I hope Alonso gets off his bum, sees the movie, and realizes that Bucky's stock is quickly rising. Hopefully at this week's "Marvel Superstar Creative Summit" they agreed on a new WS solo book. I would love Edmondson or bringing back Latour (both guys can handle numerous books) to write it.

Can a brother get some more Batwoman love in here

Obviously I miss JHWIII but the new issues have actually been pretty damn good. A lot lighter than the old stuff but honestly it's still high quality stuff.

I feel the book has gotten a lot better story wise as well. I used to actively hate Kate as a character because of the way she was written but she is more believable now and comes across as less of a colossal asshole.

At work continuing to whittle down the backlog. I find it fascinating the different reasons a backlog can build. In my case, it's either I miss an issue at some point and just fall off and take a few months to hop back on, or the series is canceled and I just wait to read it all in one session.

Anyways, I've enjoyed the The Movement. It deserved more love. Freddie Williams is a master at drawing people just fucked up.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

3774957_orig.jpg

Hell yeah, that first 3-6 issues was incredible. Look at her eye in that last panel, how manic and pissed off and full of energy it is. You can almost feel her vibrating with rage. Was so good.

Re: Batwoman - I think it's OK now (the writing is better than it had been) but really it's just Manhunter in new clothes now that Andreyko's writing it. Batwoman under Rucka and Williams was special because it was so dense and playful and tricksy. Now it's just a superhero book, the x-factor it had has evaporated a bit I think. But still, Manhunter was great, if Marc can bring her into the Batwoman world I will not complain.

tim1138

Marc Andreyko will become the top Batwoman writer if he explains why Kate has the skin tone, but no other features, of an albino. Her skin tone has always driven me nuts.

Owzers

Worst books i buy:

Justice League/Forever Evil
Captain America
Superior Spidey - in it for the crazy shenanigans, but i don't consider it a good book.

which brings me to Cap #18: Dimension Z was great, but it still reads like a standalone mini that Remender is having trouble integrating into future storytelling. Z right now is something you name drop in between panels without being in focus. Jet's hanging around for a panel or two and Cap will randomly pine about which home is his real home and the memories he's had in Z, but it all consists of noise. This wouldn't be so problematic if the next story arc were as strong as Z, but Iron Nail/Mindbubble shenanigans can't compare so far.

Marc Andreyko will become the top Batwoman writer if he explains why Kate has the skin tone, but no other features, of an albino. Her skin tone has always driven me nuts.

Haha. Same here. Holy shit I didn't understand it at all. At first I was like albino? Then I was like is she a weird sub type of goth? Her creepy doll like sister doesn't help.

ElNarez

Banned
Man, usually I have like, four weeks to judge a book and entirely dismiss it, but Batman Eternal is wrecking my shit. Like, it's competent? It's got A Hook? It may turn out to be the entire backbone of every single Batman story in the next 51 weeks? I can't fucking pin it down so I'm at least down for next week, but what if it just goes on like this, being too important and decent to drop but never really enjoyable?

At least it's 2,99, unlike SOME OTHER BOOKS FROM SOME OTHER PUBLISHING OPERATION. Hold that fucking line.

(Also, please get yourself some Iron Fist today, you've earned it)

Owzers

Man, usually I have like, four weeks to judge a book and entirely dismiss it, but Batman Eternal is wrecking my shit. Like, it's competent? It's got A Hook? It may turn out to be the entire backbone of every single Batman story in the next 51 weeks? I can't fucking pin it down so I'm at least down for next week, but what if it just goes on like this, being too important and decent to drop but never really enjoyable?

At least it's 2,99, unlike SOME OTHER BOOKS FROM SOME OTHER PUBLISHING OPERATION. Hold that fucking line.

That's why I'm not buying either Eternal or futures end weekly, I think they'll be just good enough and "important" to keep buying without ever really liking them, then I'll get to the last issue and fully regret ever buying them. Sooooo maybe the trades for me if they turn out great.

monome

Eternal... I don't know what to do with it.

Iron Fist lives up to the hype?

The Batman Eternal talk made me double dip to read it digital until I can get my print copy.

Hooooooooly shit. That was incredible. Love the frenetic energy. The pacing is great. The hook(s) are great. My hype level for this title just shot through the roof.

That's the kind of Gotham City and Batman story I want.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The Batman Eternal talk made me double dip to read it digital until I can get my print copy.

Hooooooooly shit. That was incredible. Love the frenetic energy. The pacing is great. The hook(s) are great. My hype level for this title just shot through the roof.

That's the kind of Gotham City and Batman story I want.

Very interesting. Hopefully they haven't shot their wad with the first arc. I think Fabok is a good artist (good but soulless) but he's obviously not going to be able to keep up the schedule. Who's next?

ElNarez

Banned
oh, also, secret avengers #2 was an issue filled with HellA perIL. sHit was craY. Dang kot and walsh are great at delivering punchline on punchline. issue was all payoff. get youRs todAy.

Very interesting. Hopefully they haven't shot their wad with the first arc. I think Fabok is a good artist (good but soulless) but he's obviously not going to be able to keep up the schedule. Who's next?

Seems to be Fabok, then Nguyen, then Andy Clarke, then Gilliam March so far through issue 10.

Oh man I can totally deal with that, great art all round. I always feel that Clarke should get more work, I really dig his woodcut-esque style.

I'll need to look his (Clarke's) work up. Don't think I recognize it off the bat.

That Teen Titans pitch isn't particularly compelling at all. Good to see Bunker is still around though.

Bunker was probably the best thing to come out of that run of Teen Titans. I really came to enjoy his character. Sure, the power seemed goofy at first, but it kind of grew on me? Same with the outfit. But it was his positive energy that was the most compelling.

Messi

Is that the glimmer of hope for a well written Catwoman I see?

Depends. She didn't come off fantastically in Snyder's preview. But I'm sure she will be good in the main run given a few issues. Very curious about what they do with Harley Quinn in Eternal. What's the over under on Joker showing up before the end?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom