• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circana April 2024: #1 Stellar Blade #4 Sea of Thieves #5 Fallout 4 #8 Fallout 76; PS5 #1 Units + Rev, Switch #2 Units Xbox #2 Rev

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Happy for Portal. Clearly shows you that despite the blabbering from the gaming media Sony is still the electronic company at its core. So far Portal, DS Edge and Pulse headset range showed tremendous sales and longevity in charts. I don’t need Portal but I’m always happy when unusual products are taking off. Crazy Sony is the best Sony.

It is also worth noting that DualSense has become the default gamepad and Xbox accessories revenue just cratering this gen.

John Wick

THIS!!! I don't know how many video game media members said the PS Portal was worthless and a waste of time. Clearly they were wrong!

It's still insane to me that the PS5 is selling 70% of all HD consoles, whereas the Xbox is selling at 30%. In Xbox's home country. This was unthinkable in the X360 era.

I hate that you are right on this. But you are correct. Sony isn't going to drop the price until PS5 Pro is released. And even then, they may not drop the OG PS5 price.

And so for the year of 2024, the PS5 is at 69% and the Xbox Series is at 31% in America. Insane!

Isn't the bolded the point? Considering it's a companion device and not a standalone device.........It allows people to play their PS5 more often (keeping them more engaged) and makes Sony more revenue. I'd be super shocked if they aren't making a profit on each PS Portal sold also.
They will be making great money on the Portal.
It's just a pad and screen.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
That's because the Xbox Series with 2 console combined is doing worse than Xbox One that was considered a big time failure...

Pathetic
Right. If the XBox marketshare shrinks...and PlayStation growth doesn't offset that...then the console market is shrinking.

Astral Dog

I wish gamers bought Bayonetta games the same way they look at Stellar Blade 🥺
ZYX9tQ9.jpeg

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Let's exclude Switch because reasons.

Pathetic.

Overall Ps5 + XS + Switch will be much bigger than Wii U, Ps4 and X1.
The distinction between Nintendo and PlayStation/XBox has been pretty clear since the Wii days. They're going after different markets whether you want to believe it or not.

They are competing in the same market, for our time and money.

Their games are not exchangeable. People don't choose between GTA or Zelda, and GOW or Mario.

I think Switch is aimed at people who play Nintendo games first (as the main console) and to those who already have another gaming platform, PS/PC/XBOX

Ronin_7

The distinction between Nintendo and PlayStation/XBox has been pretty clear since the Wii days. They're going after different markets whether you want to believe it or not.

PlayStation, Xbox and Nintendo are video game consoles that represent the overall market.

No amount of steering or denial from your part will change the obvious.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Am I misinterpreting this, or is he saying there was a window where Xbox One was tracking ahead of Xbox 360 in the US? That would seem nuts given the launch receptions and overall reactions to exclusive software on both systems.
Let's exclude Switch because reasons.

Pathetic.

Overall Ps5 + XS + Switch will be much bigger than Wii U, Ps4 and X1.
I don't disagree with you, but the whole thing is muddled by the fact that Switch launched 40 months after Xbone / PS4, and 44 months before PS5 / XBS. 44 months is almost the entire life cycle of the original Xbox. Wii U flopped so hard that it misaligned generations. There is also the issue of when the pandemic era releases were actually routinely available on store shelves.
I wish gamers bought Bayonetta games the same way they look at Stellar Blade 🥺
ZYX9tQ9.jpeg
Isn't that kinda on the Switch user base to buy better games? It doesn't look like the 20+ year Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden crowd followed the franchise off of the platforms it was birthed on.
That's like saying Disney competes in the same market as Miramax.
I was going to ask how a conglomerate competes with it's own subsidiary, but I didn't realize Disney offloaded Miramax in 2010. We will have to leave that feat or corporate contortion to Microsoft.
PlayStation, Xbox and Nintendo are video game consoles that represent the overall market.

No amount of steering or denial from your part will change the obvious.
Agreed. Althought there seems to be a massive shift in focus since Fortnite with the more Western leaning platforms becoming obsessed with squeezing as much money out of each purchaser as possible. Nintendo has not gone down that route yet, and won't attract the third parties that have until there is a major philosophical shift in their hardware design. I don't see that happening unless the nVidia negotiations take a sour turn as some have speculated. Nintendo has their wagon hitched to ARM at this point, so I imagine they sort it out. As it stands, Nintendo hardware and 281 GB Modern Warfare III installations are pursuing different segments of the market. Yeah, the same market overall, but sectors of it with wildly different purchasing habits.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Stellar Blade released at 26th April, so you are comparing the montly active users of a game that was available for 5 days, against games that was available for 30 days.

Doesn’t really change things if it became the top selling game of the month in those five days? I’d assume all of those customers were playing their new game.

Am I misinterpreting this, or is he saying there was a window where Xbox One was tracking ahead of Xbox 360 in the US? That would seem nuts given the launch receptions and overall reactions to exclusive software on both systems.

I don't disagree with you, but the whole thing is muddled by the fact that Switch launched 40 months after Xbone / PS4, and 44 months before PS5 / XBS. 44 months is almost the entire life cycle of the original Xbox. Wii U flopped so hard that it misaligned generations. There is also the issue of when the pandemic era releases were actually routinely available on store shelves.

Isn't that kinda on the Switch user base to buy better games? It doesn't look like the 20+ year Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden crowd followed the franchise off of the platforms it was birthed on.

I was going to ask how a conglomerate competes with it's own subsidiary, but I didn't realize Disney offloaded Miramax in 2010. We will have to leave that feat or corporate contortion to Microsoft.

Agreed. Althought there seems to be a massive shift in focus since Fortnite with the more Western leaning platforms becoming obsessed with squeezing as much money out of each purchaser as possible. Nintendo has not gone down that route yet, and won't attract the third parties that have until there is a major philosophical shift in their hardware design. I don't see that happening unless the nVidia negotiations take a sour turn as some have speculated. Nintendo has their wagon hitched to ARM at this point, so I imagine they sort it out. As it stands, Nintendo hardware and 281 GB Modern Warfare III installations are pursuing different segments of the market. Yeah, the same market overall, but sectors of it with wildly different purchasing habits.
Not really. While the 360 was a success in the end, it had a slow start. Even the $200 more expensive PS3 beat 360's first year sales, WW at least, and that didn't have a great start, either.

There was a lot of uncertainty about the PS3, which was still the follow-up to the most successful console ever, so I think people were waiting to see how its launch went. When it stumbled out of the gate, people slowly started giving 360 a second look as their main console for the generation. XBO, was the follow-up to that successful console, so there were many 360 fans who were going to stick with Xbox, even with their initial stumble that gen.

Of course, Xbox seems to have kept steadily stumbling to this day, hence the predicament it finds itself (still) in.

nowhat

Fallout 76?

I thought that was a F2P game. My mistake. It does cost money to play.
Oh it gets even better. You can pay an extra subscription on top of that to get some perks that arguably should be included in the base game. When this "feature" was introduced, there was like a civil war between the plebs and the "firsters" (that either can afford it, or are just too stupid to not realize it's not worth it).

Aenima

Doesn’t really change things if it became the top selling game of the month in those five days? I’d assume all of those customers were playing their new game.
Nop, cuz a game that already sold 10 million copies will most likelly have a bigger MAU during 30 days than a game that was on sale for only 5 days and the sales total are nowhere near the others. MAU is a terrible metric for new game releases, especially single player games that dont have "engangement" mechanics like GAAS games with season passes, limited time events, dailies, etc that keep players coming back to those games even if just to do dailies for 10 minutes and move on to other game.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
He just had to get that in there. After touting #2 (SoT) sales as amazing this month.

He's weird for that. Has to always appear like he's in the middle.

Their games are not exchangeable. People don't choose between GTA or Zelda, and GOW or Mario.

I think Switch is aimed at people who play Nintendo games first (as the main console) and to those who already have another gaming platform, PS/PC/XBOX

The Switch is competing with Playstation and Xbox. There can be no denial of this. When the Switch 2 releases, it will matter to both execs at Xbox and Playstation.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
About 30% use it mostly as a handheld, 20% use it mostly as a console and 50% use it as both.
That's illogical.

You either mostly use it as a handheld or you mostly use it as a console. No one splits their time perfectly 50/50.

The reason why one would frame it that way is to hind the fact that it's overwhelmingly used as a handheld.

Woopah

That's illogical.

You either mostly use it as a handheld or you mostly use it as a console. No one splits their time perfectly 50/50.

The reason why one would frame it that way is to hind the fact that it's overwhelmingly used as a handheld.
So to be more specific it was:

30% used it as a handheld over 80% of the time

20% used it as a console over 80% of the time.

50% used it as a handheld for more than 20% of the time and as a console for more than 20% of the time.

So it's not used overwhelming as a handheld. Both modes are used a significant amount of time.

If it was used overwhelming as a handheld, then the cheaper Lite wouldn't be the least popular model.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
So to be more specific it was:

30% used it as a handheld over 80% of the time

20% used it as a console over 80% of the time.

50% used it as a handheld for more than 20% of the time and as a console for more than 20% of the time.

So it's not used overwhelming as a handheld. Both modes are used a significant amount of time.
Those numbers are both surprisingly vague, out of date, and also point to the fact that handheld mode is the more popular mode.

The fact remains, XBox isn't shrinking because XBox is losing players to Nintendo. You don't go from Gears of War to Princes Peach Castletime Adventures.

Last edited:

Woopah

Those numbers are both surprisingly vague, out of date, and also point to the fact that handheld mode is the more popular mode.

The fact remains, XBox isn't shrinking because XBox is losing players to Nintendo. You don't go from Gears of War to Princes Peach Castletime Adventures.
What do mean by "surprisingly vague?"

Switch faces more competition for TV-preferring players than handheld-preferring players, so the numbers don't surprise me.

Either way, we know that the number of people using Switch to play video games on the TV is significant.

And yes I agree, PS5 has more of an impact on Xbox Series than Switch does.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
What do mean by "surprisingly vague?"

Switch faces more competition for TV-preferring players than handheld-preferring players, so the numbers don't surprise me.

Either way, we know that the number of people using Switch to play video games on the TV is significant.

And yes I agree, PS5 has more of an impact on Xbox Series than Switch does.
I just have trouble seeing evidence that says "More people use Switch as a handheld" as evidence that it's a console. Call me crazy.

Woopah

I just have trouble seeing evidence that says "More people use Switch as a handheld" as evidence that it's a console. Call me crazy.
Well its Circana that classes it as a console, possibly because its hardware and software were priced like a console rather than a handheld.

The majority use it as a hybrid, but either way its still part of the dedicated video game market and is counted as such by trackers.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Well its Circana that classes it as a console, possibly because its hardware and software were priced like a console rather than a handheld.

The majority use it as a hybrid, but either way its still part of the dedicated video game market and is counted as such by trackers.
I don't view that as evidence the console market isn't shrinking.

The PS5 is tracking slightly behind the PS4.
The Series X/S is tracking substantially behind the XBO.

Attempting to throw the Switch in there just doesn't check out for me and many others.

Woopah

I don't view that as evidence the console market isn't shrinking.

The PS5 is tracking slightly behind the PS4.
The Series X/S is tracking substantially behind the XBO.

Attempting to throw the Switch in there just doesn't check out for me and many others.
Then the question would be whether there are more people using Switch to play games on the TV that there were people using Wii U to play games on the TV.

I would say definitely yes. There are multiple Switch games which cannot by played in handheld mode and have sold more units than the Wii U.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Then the question would be whether there are more people using Switch to play games on the TV that there were people using Wii U to play games on the TV

I would say definitely yes. There are multiple Switch games which cannot by played in handheld mode and have sold more units than the Wii U.
Consider it this way...

PlayStation and XBox, two thirds of the console market, are acting like the console market is weakening. Generally that's a pretty tell tale sign that it is.

Woopah

Consider it this way...

PlayStation and XBox, two thirds of the console market, are acting like the console market is weakening. Generally that's a pretty tell tale sign that it is.
Not if the other third saw its number of players increase substantially. Which it has.

And of course you've also got the fact PlayStation is seeing higher profit and revenue from PS5 than PS4, which doesn't indicate a weakening

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Not really. While the 360 was a success in the end, it had a slow start. Even the $200 more expensive PS3 beat 360's first year sales, WW at least, and that didn't have a great start, either.

There was a lot of uncertainty about the PS3, which was still the follow-up to the most successful console ever, so I think people were waiting to see how its launch went. When it stumbled out of the gate, people slowly started giving 360 a second look as their main console for the generation. XBO, was the follow-up to that successful console, so there were many 360 fans who were going to stick with Xbox, even with their initial stumble that gen.

Of course, Xbox seems to have kept steadily stumbling to this day, hence the predicament it finds itself (still) in.
Thanks for the reply. That makes perfect sense, although I thought six months of Kinect / $499 MSRP would have contributed to a slower start. What you described is more or less exactly how my purchasing pattern went with 360 and PS3. Picked up a refurb 360 for $259 when BioShock came out, when MSRP was still $349. Picked up a PS3 when it dropped to $299.99 and came bundled with inFamous and Killzone 2. Fun times.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Not if the other third saw its number of players increase substantially. Which it has.

And of course you've also got the fact PlayStation is seeing higher profit and revenue from PS5 than PS4, which doesn't indicate a weakening.
Even if we agree that the device that's used in handheld mode more than console mode...is a console, would you say the console market shrunk during the Wii U years?

The increase in profit is coming from GAAS, not a growing console market.

Woopah

Even if we agree that the device that's used in handheld mode more than console mode...is a console, would you say the console market shrunk during the Wii U years?

The increase in profit is coming from GAAS, not a growing console market.
Certainly a lot of the market segment which bought the Wii and the 360 for Kinect were lost in the following generation.

But Switch has been able to recapture a lot of that segment with the motion control and local multiplayer experiences that it offers.

Top Bottom