• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You clearly don't know me very well if you think I would drop 70% of my favorite books. What makes you think I would drop Harley Quinn? Or even Rat Queens or Chew?

OMG, Chew, Harley and Rat Queens are definitely not books to drop. Who would even suggest that?! I'll tell you who, dirty communists.

Boogiepop

Still waffling back and forth on pulling the trigger on massive amounts of TMNT from instocktrades. As someone new to the site: do these company catalog sales occur that often? It'd probably make my decision easier if I felt like I could just order part of it now, and then some more if I feel like in a few months or whatever when another IDW sale rolls around.

Just one more try on this. Like, I use Rightstuf for anime/manga, and they usually rotate through publisher sales such that each usually appears a couple times in a year. Are company based sales a usual thing on IST, like that? Or should I expect to not see another IDW sale for a good long while after this one?

You clearly don't know me very well if you think I would drop 70% of my favorite books. What makes you think I would drop Harley Quinn? Or even Rat Queens or Chew?

OMG, Chew, Harley and Rat Queens are definitely not books to drop. Who would even suggest that?! I'll tell you who, dirty communists.

This place has gone to the dogs

Hey, you asked for the suggestions. All I can do is give you some based on what I know.

B&B Aquaman is definitely the best

Iron Man:

iim.jpg

The Best - The Five Nightmares

Of all Marvel's first-wave superheroes, it's quite probably Iron Man who's had the least number of classic stories told about him. So to say The Five Nightmares is the best modern-day story of the character might not be the strongest statement in the world, but its no less true. I'd say its the highpoint of the character's history since Demon in a Bottle from way back in '79. While much of Fraction's run would be plagued by sluggish decompressed chapters that peter out near the end, The Five Nightmares was concise, fast-moving, intelligent, refreshingly modern, and just a lot of fun. The perfect gift for the curious reader who liked RDJ's cinematic escapades.

Anthony_Stark_(Earth-96020).jpg

The Worst - Teen Tony Stark

Get this: in an incredibly misguided attempt to appeal to younger fans at the expense of any and all sense and internal integrity to the character, Marvel in the midst of maybe the absolute worst crossover they've ever done(The Crossing) decided to replace ol' Tony Stark with a younger, hipper version. An Iron Lad, if you will. There isn't a single redeemable element in these stories.

Daredevil:

miller-dd.jpg

The Best - Frank Miller's Daredevil

Not to disperse all the great work by Gene Colan and Wally Wood before Miller, or from Bendis and Brubaker and Kessel and Waid and Samnee and Marcos Martin, etc after Miller. But it really is Before Miller and After Miller. Working with colleagues such as Klaus Janson and David Mazzucchelli, Miller transformed a perennially underachieving superhero into one of the most compelling characters ever seen in the sub-genre. A fully three-dimensional character and his wonderfully entertaining story that are one-part Eisner's The Spirit, and one part-Lone Wolf and Cub. This entry can also double as a Best and Worst of Eleketra, as with the rare exception of Zeb Wells, nobody else seems to have a proper handle on that character.

dd.jpg

The Worst - Armored Daredevil

This speaks to the quality of DD the past 30 years, as even this low-point isn't completely abominable. Its just one of those weird 90s things where everybody was getting new gimmicky costumes so why not DD? The problem of course it directly undercuts his character; he's not much of a Daredevil if he's gotta go out with a "safety first!" uniform. The sense of bravado from the "Man Without Fear" is gone when you wrap him in a security blanket.

Owzers

When making a list of things to drop it's best just to list the bottom tier of what you read, that way people don't tell you to drop Harley Quinn, Comic-Gaf's #1 book of whatever month it won because people are crazy.

The Worst - Armored Daredevil

This speaks to the quality of DD the past 30 years, as even this low-point isn't completely abominable. Its just one of those weird 90s things where everybody was getting new gimmicky costumes so why not DD? The problem of course it directly undercuts his character; he's not much of a Daredevil if he's gotta go out with a "safety first!" uniform. The sense of bravado from the "Man Without Fear" is gone when you wrap him in a security blanket.

Yeah, I do remember there being some great art on it at the time….

Please help me with my pull list. Show me what needs to go. Its so expensive :(

DC:

Batwoman I'm not really digging the new creative team. It might be just me.
Birds of Prey Is this actually good? You are following the characters you like from this in their respective solos anyway.
Supergirl You can get your monthly dose of Kara from Red Lanterns

Marvel:

Guardians of the Galaxy This one is going nowhere. The crossover is already over.
X-Men The most boring X-Book on the stands. Even worse than X-Factor.
All New Ultimates Disappointment of the month. (I'm not dropping this yet though. I love Cloak and Dagger that much)
Hulk I'll wait for some reviews before picking this up. Indestructible was lackluster.

Image:

Shutter Maybe you liked the first issue. I didn't really dig it.
East of West You are reading the inferior Hickman Image book. Read TMP instead.

Dark Horse:

Furious I don't realy have an argument here. Haven't read this.

I bought the first issue of Harley Quinn from a local comic store awhile ago.

I haven't read it because print comics don't have guided view, will probably feed to my dog.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I'm definitely getting that Inc absolute. It'll be gorgeous.

Did they ever do an Absolute for Batman an Son through to RIP? IMO they've really disrespected the entirety of the run with their hodgepodge approach to collections.

Nope. Absolutes for Batman & Robin and Inc (coming up). There is a deluxe, however, for Batman and Son/Black Glove, which is what I have.

It's a clusterfuck of releases in various formats with no real hint that they're all one fucking huge storyline. Not even numbering along the spines or anything.

Also, unrelated, but I'm three issues into the DC One Million omnibus and this event is pretty damn dope. The writing on the first Superman and Batman issues has been pretty bad, more 'narrating exactly what I am doing' and just cheesy dialogue, but each issue has won me over by the end. Superman meeting Platinum and convincing the Hawk-men, and then Batman's origin were great.

Quantum and Woody is alright. The problem is Asmus thinks he is too funny so he tries to joke with every sentence of dialogue. It also changes art teams more than a girl changes close.
lame joke and Katy Perry reference like so

something happened there. I don't know what/who. But the intial pitch (young Clark doing big jumps) got butchered in favor of a shitty intergalactic planetary beat that would ashame the Beastie Boys with its lack of rythme.

Yeah I don't know but something definitely went wrong. If I remember right they were trying to make the character more relate-able and then went with everything that was the opposite of that.

I think they nail the emotions in Batman and Robin something that is missing from Snyder's Batman. Granted I love Snyder's batman and refuse to talk shit about Capullos art. Batman and Robin has made me feel like crying multiple times.

I won't deny this, Tomasi is amazing at getting emotions across. Which makes it the perfect companion book to Snyder's Batman.

dan2026

Harley Quinn is pretty middling. Her old series was better. So was Gotham City Sirens.

However Superior Foes of Spider-man is awesomely funny!
Why did nobody tell me?

Quantum and Woody is alright. The problem is Asmus thinks he is too funny so he tries to joke with every sentence of dialogue. It also changes art teams more than a girl changes close.
lame joke and Katy Perry reference like so
Agree with you there. I miss Ming Doyle on art and not liking Kano at all. Also, lol @ making Woody
do something decent in the past.
Woody is too much of a pecker for anyone to like him.

I did a blind purchase on Iron Fist 1. Writing was a bit generic and the art was Kaare Andrews but I'd say if you're a fan of Danny Rand then buy the book. For everyone else, wait until the first arc is over and check for some reviews before buying it.

Messi

Harley Quinn is pretty middling. Her old series was better. So was Gotham City Sirens.

However Superior Foes of Spider-man is awesomely funny!
Why did nobody tell me?

Comparing series with 20 plus issues to her current series is hardly fair.

dan2026

Comparing series with 20 plus issues to her current series is hardly fair.

Three issue rule for me.

I'm not saying its bad, just the art and the writing are so average.
It isn't funny, or exciting, or particularly interesting, nor does it deeply offend me.
It just is.

It's the only thing said about it!

But I don't actually read NeoGAF. I just absorb the data through diffusion and convert it into spiritual energy.

I'm a year into my comic hobby and what I have learned in that year is I do not like events. I'd rather just have stand alone stories contained within respected books.

Messi

Three issue rule for me.

I'm not saying its bad, just the art and the writing are so average.
It isn't funny, or exciting, or particularly interesting, nor does it deeply offend me.
It just is.

Disagree wholeheartedly on the art and feel it is one of the few good good looking books dc currently has.

Lombaszko

So Bleeding Cool has some major spoilers for Future's End from the Free Comic Book Day Issue. Looks... ugh.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/04/08/first-look-futures-end-0-big-time-spoilers/

I'll reserve some judgement until I read the thing in context but it sadly reminds me of
Rot World, which was also co-written by Lemire and even a little bit of Final Crisis, with the possessed super heroes.

Did anyone notice in Superman / Wonderwoman this week
the beginning of the book takes place "LATER" and London is being rebuilt, I'm guessing it was wrecked. I wonder if this is a result of Forever Evil, the upcoming Doomed arc, or Future's End?

Kimawolf

So I need some help.

I been looking for a comic run where Superman walked across the U.S.? Anyone know its name?

And I want to get back into DC but haven't read any of it since Infinite Crisis. Any suggestions? Looking for good female lead char books preferably.

And are the Teen Titans any good and is there a Outsiders series anymore?

So I need some help.

I been looking for a comic run where Superman walked across the U.S.? Anyone know its name?

And I want to get back into DC but haven't read any of it since Infinite Crisis. Any suggestions? Looking for good female lead char books preferably.

And are the Teen Titans any good and is there a Outsiders series anymore?

The arc you're looking for is Superman: Grounded.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Anthony_Stark_(Earth-96020).jpg

The Worst - Teen Tony Stark

Get this: in an incredibly misguided attempt to appeal to younger fans at the expense of any and all sense and internal integrity to the character, Marvel in the midst of maybe the absolute worst crossover they've ever done(The Crossing) decided to replace ol' Tony Stark with a younger, hipper version. An Iron Lad, if you will. There isn't a single redeemable element in these stories.

LOL, WTF? I take it this is from the late(r) 90's? I quit reading Marvel during this time.

EDIT: http://goodcomics.comicbookresource...itanic-tale-of-teen-tony-stark-aka-iron-teen/

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
So I need some help.

Sounds like the Grounded storyline written by JMS. By all accounts it's pap, so best avoid.

Read Grounded and then go read about how Mark Waid threw JMS into a feces-laden coffin and buried him in his own hole during an online fight. And then go buy a ton of Mark Waid Daredevil and celebrate.

IRON MAN

BEST

Director of SHIELD

Marvel got the guys behind Carnivale to write iron man. if you read one arc, read the mandarins troy they did ,it was well done. Mandarin Tries to infect the whole world with extremis in order to jump start human evolution. Its an under apracted run as Matt fraction run would start while this was wrapping up.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Aquaman

Best: Batman: The Brave and the Bold

outrageous.jpg

There is no way to watch Brave and the Bold and not love Aquaman. Of this, I am sure. The character's enthusiasm and earnestness are just infectious. Adventurous, boisterous, and good natured almost to a fault, Aquaman is a guy who just fucking loves being a superhero. Not only that, but he's going to do his damnedest to make sure you love being superhero. This interpretation shows that maybe instead of making Aquaman a grimacing sad sack, the best way to get people on his side is to make him a friendly adventurer who just really, really enjoys what he does. Get roused, fuckers.

Worst: Hook Hand

Aquaman17_(1996).jpg

Fuck this dude. Now, granted, I haven't read much of the run featuring this version so maybe the stories are good. Morrison and the JL(U) team wrote him well, at least. That said, fuck this dude. For as much flack as Johns gets for his run seeming desperate to make Aquaman cool, DC has never looked more desperate to change the perception of the character than when they gave us this. Everything about him screams trying too hard. The constant angry face. The hook. The mullet. The perpetual chip on his shoulder in almost every incarnation I've seen of him.

PAD aquaman is awesome. making an assessment of a character based on a design?

8bit

Knows the Score
PAD aquaman is awesome. making an assessment of a character based on a design?

Hookhand Aquaman was pretty good IIRC, watery hand Aquaman wasn't quite as good but was still an interesting take on the character. Of course, they don't compare to B&B Aquaman but it's not that he's been a shitty character forever. It just seems as soon as he went back to the classic costume no-one could write him well.

Read Grounded and then go read about how Mark Waid threw JMS into a feces-laden coffin and buried him in his own hole during an online fight. And then go buy a ton of Mark Waid Daredevil and celebrate.

"A long, dull, pointless, boring walk. Across America." -Mark Waid
"You will believe a man can walk." -Mark Waid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom