• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

frye

Was that the one where Leslie Thompkins, longtime beacon of compassion and warmth, let everyone's favorite Stephanie Brown die so she could teach Batman a lesson

because LMAO

also the nadir of what people are talking about when they say that people learned the wrong lessons from Miller, and what Morrison says he was trying to move away from with his portrayal of Batman

Man, working my way through this uncanny xforce tome. Just finished the dark Angel saga (I read this entire run when it came out). Someone sell me on uncanny avengers. I hear it connects to this...

Man, working my way through this uncanny xforce tome. Just finished the dark Angel saga (I read this entire run when it came out). Someone sell me on uncanny avengers. I hear it connects to this...

I read the Omnibus and didn't need to be sold. Ordered the first 3 trades off of IST and bought the latest issue to read once I catch up.

Boogiepop

Still waffling back and forth on pulling the trigger on massive amounts of TMNT from instocktrades. As someone new to the site: do these company catalog sales occur that often? It'd probably make my decision easier if I felt like I could just order part of it now, and then some more if I feel like in a few months or whatever when another IDW sale rolls around.

also the nadir of what people are talking about when they say that people learned the wrong lessons from Miller, and what Morrison says he was trying to move away from with his portrayal of Batman

I've always found that weird, because I feel like Year One got passed over, even though it feels like an evolution on TDKR, the next step. The book goes to some dark places and sometimes it feels like the whole damn town is corrupt, but ultimately its a very hopeful, optimistic story about human comradeship and honesty. No grim gritty revenge fantasies and nihilism here.

dcmoment22.jpg

And that's something I always really enjoyed about Morrison's Batman JLA run onward. He openly admitted to hating the worst excesses of post-86 Batman (“a semi-unhinged, essentially humourless loner struggling with rage and guilt”). His Batman isn't crazy; hell he's the most competent, utterly self-assured human on the planet. He doesn't get off on beating up crooks. Its not even about "vengeance"; when he tells Jezebel Jet he got over his parents death, I believe it. And I think by making this kind of high-tech Batman billionaire ninja detective that still recognizably human, he was able to play in so many styles. Frank Miller, Dick Sprang, Adam West, O'Neil/Adams, Finger; one wasn't more valid and "definitive" a Batman than the other, and I think that brought back a real sense of wonder to the character.

jHrTZICvjVNiV.jpg

Cheska

Since I know some of you are also reading FBP, can someone please explain what in the hell is happening in this book? I re-read today's issue, and I feel even more lost than before.

Also, comic family, pick up Shutter! Personally thought it was a damn fine good first issue :D

Since I know some of you are also reading FBP, can someone please explain what in the hell is happening in this book? I re-read today's issue, and I'm feel even more lost than before.

That was me with Manhattan Projects.... some books just read better in trade format. Especially sciency ones.

Also, comic family, pick up Shutter! Personally thought it was a damn fine good first issue :D

Too late! Already did. I liked it a lot, but it felt a little bit all-over-the-place. I know, first issue, a lot of background info to provide.... Looking forward to seeing where this one goes.

Since I know some of you are also reading FBP, can someone please explain what in the hell is happening in this book? I re-read today's issue, and I'm feel even more lost than before.

Yeah, I dunno. I might drop FBP and just get the trades. I'm lost every month,

frye

I've always found that weird, because I feel like Year One got passed over, even though it feels like an evolution on TDKR, the next step. The book goes to some dark places and sometimes it feels like the whole damn town is corrupt, but ultimately its a very hopeful, optimistic story about human comradeship and honesty. No grim gritty revenge fantasies and nihilism here.

And that's something I always really enjoyed about Morrison's Batman JLA run onward. He openly admitted to hating the worst excesses of post-86 Batman (“a semi-unhinged, essentially humourless loner struggling with rage and guilt”). His Batman isn't crazy; hell he's the most competent, utterly self-assured human on the planet. He doesn't get off on beating up crooks. Its not even about "vengeance"; when he tells Jezebel Jet he got over his parents death, I believe it. And I think by making this kind of high-tech Batman billionaire ninja detective that still recognizably human, he was able to play in so many styles. Frank Miller, Dick Sprang, Adam West, O'Neil/Adams, Finger; one wasn't more valid and "definitive" a Batman than the other, and I think that brought back a real sense of wonder to the character.

jHrTZICvjVNiV.jpg

Even DKR isn't that "grim and gritty," at least not in the way people use that phrase now. It's almost a romp.The real difference between DKR and Year One is the difference between Miller the cartoonist and Miller the writer: the former tends indulge in all his most juvenile obsessions (probably most evident when he starts drawing dinosaurs in Sin City for kicks, also all of DKSA but it's definitely in DKR too) where Miller the writer is able to step back and judge the strengths of his collaborator, so with Mazz as his dude you get a story that's more reigned-in and subtle. Both are ultimately pretty hopeful stories I think.

And yeah, even as much as Morrison's solo Batman run was hit or (mostly) miss for me until Inc v2, I at least dug what he was trying to do with the character a bunch, even if it ended up being unsustainable in the long run because no one really wants to write that version of him.

I'm not enjoying Secret Avengers. Kot is getting all his A-game on in Zero whereas here it feels like he's just aping Hawkeye poorly. Not to mention Walsh is no Aja and he should stick to his own style and not try to fool casual readers into thinking the comic is anything like Hawkeye which it isn't. Kot needs to get that Zero brilliance here and not be a poor man's Hawkeye.

I said goddamn Moon Knight #2

"Why can't I hit you?" "I'm not real" *proceeds to split bullet in half with moonarang*

This is my kind of shit, forget Batman

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Since I know some of you are also reading FBP, can someone please explain what in the hell is happening in this book? I re-read today's issue, and I feel even more lost than before.

basically we readers don't know which pair is in reality and which pair is in a virtual reality.... the purpose for the experiment hasn't been given yet but with Rosa about to destroy the tank we should find out next month. and yeah this stuff would be a lot better in trade format.

Also I don't understand what happened in WD..... like .... like how does that happen storywise and no one calls it out as bullshit?
What are the odds that rick maybe hallucinating from a fever and this is just wish fulfillment before the saddest episode in the series?

Vibranium

Banned
just read invincible and yeah that was not at all what i expected to happen this issue..... not at all.

While I am kind of the same way, after looking back I realized that Kirkman actually dropped some small hints about 30ish issues back, when Nolan talks about
how fucked up Viltrumite social circles are, and that does seem to imply that rape often happens with the "strong vs. weak" mentality.

Forgot the exact issue, sorry, but I remember there being dialogue about the people.

Zeus Molecules

Felt super short. 111 is going to be nuts.

Yeah I expect that rape to lead to her getting pregnant honestly. I always have said that invincible reminds me of DBZ and its about time for Gohan and Goten to show up. It would be interesting to see Mark have to deal with two sets of children at the same time

While I am kind of the same way, after looking back I realized that Kirkman actually dropped some small hints about 30ish issues back, when Nolan talks about
how fucked up Viltrumite social circles are, and that does seem to imply that rape often happens with the "strong vs. weak" mentality.

Forgot the exact issue, sorry, but I remember there being dialogue about the people.

Even then I never thought that it would happen to mark
as soon as he got home, like jeez its crazy because he probably needs to be in peak conditions mentally when facing Robot and all this shit happened so you know he won't have his head in the game... I expect he gets his assed whipped

Vibranium

Banned
I'm not enjoying Secret Avengers. Kot is getting all his A-game on in Zero whereas here it feels like he's just aping Hawkeye poorly. Not to mention Walsh is no Aja and he should stick to his own style and not try to fool casual readers into thinking the comic is anything like Hawkeye which it isn't. Kot needs to get that Zero brilliance here and not be a poor man's Hawkeye.

I honestly agree with you, I'm not continuing sadly. I am sticking to Zero which is real quality, and apparently his Iron Patriot miniseries is mediocre. I just hate how he's trying to make "Coulson and Fury Jr: best buddies" happen, it's so forced and they ruin the book. If Marvel kills Senior during Original Sin (I hope Bleeding Cool were posting a bullshit rumor as they sometimes do) I am going to send numerous emails to the company.

If they want to make Junior interesting, they should make him a villain as I have suggested, and a major-level espionage threat (with his own goons) to Earth. Then we could have a cool story where Fury comes out of his Nickcave to fight his "fallen" son. Give me a job Marvel.

Vibranium

Banned
Yeah I expect that rape to lead to her getting pregnant honestly. I always have said that invincible reminds me of DBZ and its about time for Gohan and Goten to show up. It would be interesting to see Mark have to deal with two sets of children at the same time

Even then I never thought that it would happen to mark
as soon as he got home, like jeez its crazy because he probably needs to be in peak conditions mentally when facing Robot and all this shit happened so you know he won't have his head in the game... I expect he gets his assed whipped

Yeah, me too, really. I agree with you that Mark is going to be
seriously fucked-up (he needs his mom's old therapist right now...), Robot has the upper hand. Shit is going down.

Zeus Molecules

Yeah, me too, really. I agree with you that Mark is going to be
seriously fucked-up (he needs his mom's old therapist right now...), Robot has the upper hand. Shit is going down.

Did he go to her after the dinosaurus stuff happened? If you think about it Mark has been going through a ton of traumatic shit since conquest happened. Some of it was his own doing but regardless i wouldn't be surprised if he snaps for a bit

ReiGun

Wonder Woman

Best: The Perez Years

Wonder_woman_02.jpg

I've said it before, but I don't see how DC has had so many problems with writing Wonder Woman over the last couple decades when Perez gave them the fucking blueprint back in 1987. The biggest achievement of the book is how it nails Diana's struggle to reconcile how cruel and unfair the world can be in comparison to the idyllic island paradise she grew up on without making her seem dumb or holier than thou. Further, it feeds back into her desire to try and make the world a better place not just by punching dudes in the face - though she does do a lot of that - but by connecting with and trying to understand all kinds of people. By being proactive and not only trying to stop crime, but fighting the reasons crime happens in the first place through large scale activism and through simply connecting one on one with other people.

Now, I will say I don't think it's the absolute best written run on the character. It's no slouch, but I think that Rucka, Simone, and Azzarello outpace it in this regard. But as far as understanding what makes Wonder Woman as an idea work, and how to make that idea and character empathetic and resonate, it's my favorite take easily. "God and Mortals" is the first thing I recommend to anyone who wants to know what makes Wonder Woman such a great character.

Worst: JL War

justiceleague_war_ww.jpg

I'm part of the problem here because I did enjoy the fight scenes with her. That said, in general, I am over "Xena-lite" Wonder Woman. It misses one of the core ideas of the character; that Wonder Woman is an agent of peace. Yes, she's the finest warrior in the JLA and yes she'll drop a body when absolutely necessary. I'm not even opposed to the idea of having her be more adventurous or enjoying fighting for sport. However, having her revel in violence and killing, even the killing of parademons, feels wrong-headed.

Also, there's a difference between showing Diana as a fish out of water and making here a socially retarded dummy. Having her swing a sword around at an ice cream guy is the latter.

Aquaman

Best: Batman: The Brave and the Bold

outrageous.jpg

There is no way to watch Brave and the Bold and not love Aquaman. Of this, I am sure. The character's enthusiasm and earnestness are just infectious. Adventurous, boisterous, and good natured almost to a fault, Aquaman is a guy who just fucking loves being a superhero. Not only that, but he's going to do his damnedest to make sure you love being superhero. This interpretation shows that maybe instead of making Aquaman a grimacing sad sack, the best way to get people on his side is to make him a friendly adventurer who just really, really enjoys what he does. Get roused, fuckers.

Worst: Hook Hand

Aquaman17_(1996).jpg

Fuck this dude. Now, granted, I haven't read much of the run featuring this version so maybe the stories are good. Morrison and the JL(U) team wrote him well, at least. That said, fuck this dude. For as much flack as Johns gets for his run seeming desperate to make Aquaman cool, DC has never looked more desperate to change the perception of the character than when they gave us this. Everything about him screams trying too hard. The constant angry face. The hook. The mullet. The perpetual chip on his shoulder in almost every incarnation I've seen of him.

Vibranium

Banned
Did he go to her after the dinosaurus stuff happened? If you think about it Mark has been going through a ton of traumatic shit since conquest happened. Some of it was his own doing but regardless i wouldn't be surprised if he snaps for a bit

I don't think he did, he's been keeping to himself mostly. He has had so much traumatic stuff happen, and I also forgot that his temper has snapped more frequently since he got more powerful. Maybe he has a big breakdown in 111? Can't wait!

I wouldn't even be too surprised if the shift of the book changed
with Mark dying or going full villain and it became about his 2 children.

Zeus Molecules

Aquaman

Best: Batman: The Brave and the Bold

outrageous.jpg

There is no way to watch Brave and the Bold and not love Aquaman. Of this, I am sure. The character's enthusiasm and earnestness are just infectious. Adventurous, boisterous, and good natured almost to a fault, Aquaman is a guy who just fucking loves being a superhero. Not only that, but he's going to do his damnedest to make sure you love being superhero. This interpretation shows that maybe instead of making Aquaman a grimacing sad sack, the best way to get people on his side is to make him a friendly adventurer who just really, really enjoys what he does. Get roused, fuckers.

DC just made Aquaman Marvel's Hercules but your right this guy was the most fun the character has been .... well ever.

On the flip Marvel should bring back hercules.... they had a good thing going with him and Cho and let Godwar ruin it for no reason

8bit

Knows the Score
So, haven't read anything for a while and picked up Invincible & Walking Dead.

Fuck both those books. I think I'm mostly done with comics now.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Don't hold Kirkman's mediocre writing against comics as a whole. Just move on to better comics.

8bit

Knows the Score
Don't hold Kirkman's mediocre writing against comics as a whole. Just move on to better comics.

I'm finding very few of them these days though, I did also pick up Batman Eternal but couldn't get past the first few pages. What's good outside of the usual superheroics these days?

--

edit

My distaste is not purely for Kirkman's shlocky nonsense, but a general disconnect developed over the last few years. With X-Men Legacy ending & Hawkeye looking as if it's wrapping up I'm running out of interesting options from mainstream and don't really know where to look for alternatives.

http://beatonna.tumblr.com/post/81993262830/here-is-a-sketch-comic-i-made-called-ducks-in

New Kate Beaton comic, about her time working in the oil sands at Fort McMurray. v. good

This on the other hand is great.

I'm finding very few of them these days though, I did also pick up Batman Eternal but couldn't get past the first few pages. What's good outside of the usual superheroics these days?

--

edit

My distaste is not purely for Kirkman's shlocky nonsense, but a general disconnect developed over the last few years. With X-Men Legacy ending & Hawkeye looking as if it's wrapping up I'm running out of interesting options from mainstream and don't really know where to look for alternatives.

This on the other hand is great.

Have you tried Waid's DD?
That could be the kind of stuff you're looking for.

DBZ did it so it makes sense
DBZ never had crazy Dino dude though. I liked crazy Dino dude.

Vibranium

Banned

Read Mark Waid's Daredevil (his run before the relaunch, and the current continuing series) and his Spider-Man Family Business original graphic novel. I may still like Invincible despite your opinion (Ryan Ottley and the general craziness makes me stay), but I like to think you can trust me on DD ;)

DD is fun and has great character moments, it's everything comics should be. Matt has bad things happen to him, but I love how he approaches problems compared to other heroes.

ReiGun

DC just made Aquaman Marvel's Hercules but your right this guy was the most fun the character has been .... well ever.

On the flip Marvel should bring back hercules.... they had a good thing going with him and Cho and let Godwar ruin it for no reason

What happened to Herc? Last I saw him was Avengers Academy, then he just disappeared.

Messi

Please help me with my pull list. Show me what needs to go. Its so expensive :(

DC:

Batgirl
Batman
Batman: Detective Comics
Batman: Lil Gotham
Batman: Eternal
Batman and ... (Formerly and Robin)
Batwoman
Birds of Prey
Catwoman
Green Arrow
Harley Quinn
Suicide Squad
Supergirl
Superman/Wonder Woman
Wonder Woman

Vertigo:

American Vampire
FBP

Marvel:

All-New X-Men
Avengers
Deadpool
Guardians of the Galaxy
Superior Spiderman
Thor: God of Thunder
X-Men
Uncanny X-Men
Amazing Spiderman
Black Widow
Captain Marvel
Daredevil
Elektra
Iron Fist : The Living Weapon
Loki: Agent of Asgard
Ms Marvel
The Punisher
Secret Avengers
She Hulk
Wolvering and the X-Men (2014)
Winter Soldier : The Bitter March
All-New Ghost Rider
Ultimate comics Spiderman
All New Ultimates
Moon Knight
Hulk
Magneto

Image:

Sex Criminals
Saga
Shutter
Rat Queens
East of West
Chew
Dead Body Road
Zero
Deadly Class
Velvet
Pretty Deadly
Fuse

Dark Horse:

Furious
Serenity

IDW

Turtles Ongoing
Black Dynamite

jordisok

You read turtles messi? I started at #1 a few weeks ago and been catching up, at like 12 now and loving it, please tell me it stays good :(

cut all of them and start fresh! but if not, I imagine Birds of Prey, Batgirl, Supergirl, X-Men, and Hulk are still the same middling books they were back when i read them. And Catwoman, god damn IT IS TIME

monome

Please help me with my pull list. Show me what needs to go. Its so expensive :(

DC:

Batgirl
Batman
Batman: Detective Comics
Batman: Lil Gotham
Batman: Eternal
Batman and ... (Formerly and Robin)
Batwoman
Birds of Prey
Catwoman
Green Arrow
Harley Quinn
Suicide Squad
Supergirl
Superman/Wonder Woman
Wonder Woman

Vertigo:

American Vampire
FBP

Marvel:

All-New X-Men
Avengers
Deadpool
Guardians of the Galaxy
Superior Spiderman
Thor: God of Thunder
X-Men
Uncanny X-Men
Amazing Spiderman
Black Widow
Captain Marvel
Daredevil
Elektra
Iron Fist : The Living Weapon
Loki: Agent of Asgard
Ms Marvel
The Punisher
Secret Avengers
She Hulk
Wolvering and the X-Men (2014)
Winter Soldier : The Bitter March
All-New Ghost Rider
Ultimate comics Spiderman
All New Ultimates
Moon Knight
Hulk
Magneto

Image:

Sex Criminals
Saga
Shutter
Rat Queens
East of West
Chew
Dead Body Road
Zero
Deadly Class
Velvet
Pretty Deadly
Fuse

Dark Horse:

Furious
Serenity

IDW

Turtles Ongoing
Black Dynamite

holy shit. bolded some but you should put some series into trade paperback cycle rather monthly pulls.

you're around 150$ per month...

monome

It costs me about 60 a week in my store so 240 euro a month all told.

god damn...

I'm french and used to go to import comics stores in Paris but Comixology halved the price.

can't you just put some series into trades? that's what I used to do.

these days I go with a very light pull list and try issues here and there and shuffle with creative teams/arcs to keep it light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom