• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

god damn...

I'm french and used to go to import comics stores in Paris but Comixology halved the price.

can't you just put some series into trades? that's what I used to do.

these days I go with a very light pull list and try issues here and there and shuffle with creative teams/arcs to keep it light.

Its so hard to drop back to trades with the way dc and marvel release trades. I'd never get to talk about stuff on time or enjoy events at the same time as others. Image makes it easier but I like supporting those books. Plus I buy the image trades that I like.

monome

Its so hard to drop back to trades with the way dc and marvel release trades. I'd never get to talk about stuff on time or enjoy events at the same time as others. Image makes it easier but I like supporting those books. Plus I buy the image trades that I like.

I've come to embrace spoilers...it's better than illegally dl comics when it comes to being a part of discussions around events I don't follow but have appetite for.

Truth is : a good series is a good series, even when the hype is gone. You're reading comics, my friend. Whether the hero dies/succeeds/reincarnates/marries etc...it's mostly about the journey.

Don't let nu52 or Marvel Now dictate your enthusiasm. They helped launch new stories/creative teams, so I'm happy with them. But the course towards mainstraiming comics is one that can only go to the bottom (of your bank account, of general quality etc...). So keeping your pull list light is also a means to tell publishers you're looking for quality over sensationnal marketing pushes.

It depends on how much comics count for you in your daily life. I know I prefer them as a side hobby for some nocturnal reading, in addition to gaming and reading.

I keep 90% of my life dedicated to work/sport/GF and 240€/month is a nice budget to go travel some.

PS : must be good to be your friend...those comics everywhere...

Messi

I've come to embrace spoilers...it's better than illegally dl comics when it comes to being a part of discussions around events I don't follow but have appetite for.

Truth is : a good series is a good series, even when the hype is gone. You're reading comics, my friend. Whether the hero dies/succeeds/reincarnates/marries etc...it's mostly about the journey.

Don't let nu52 or Marvel Now dictate your enthusiasm. They helped launch new stories/creative teams, so I'm happy with them. But the course towards mainstraiming comics is one that can only go to the bottom (of your bank account, of general quality etc...). So keeping your pull list light is also a means to tell publishers you're looking for quality over sensationnal marketing pushes.

It depends on how much comics count for you in your daily life. I know I prefer them as a side hobby for some nocturnal reading, in addition to gaming and reading.

I keep 90% of my life dedicated to work/sport/GF and 240€/month is a nice budget to go travel some.

PS : must be good to be your friend...those comics everywhere...

I am pretty much the only person in my life who reads comics. Most of my friends go as far as knowing there is a new batman movie coming but have little to no interest in comic books.

I know the amount of money I spend is crazy and thats why I am trying to cut it down a bit. but its just very difficult. I have a hard time dropping a book im reading even if its really average. Something has to to be really bad for me to dump it...like
XFactor
. Comics have mostly killed my gaming hobby and other than that the only other hobby I really embrace is Football.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
All art is subjective. Some people even like Pulidos art.

Ugh, Messi. She-Hulk utterly fantastic:
She-Hulk-2014-001-008.jpg

No, you didn't like the art. There's a difference. You could call Walter Simonson faces deformed too. But I know you don't want to do that.

I'll post this again as it was a last post. This is Kitty Pryde. It does not look like her at all. A lot of characters did not look like who they were supposed to be.

Bk1LZ6FIUAAmsbl.jpg

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Do you notice that thus page looks fantastic as there are no faces?

The bar patrons in the back have faces. It's not a page filled with Vic Sage clones. As for extreme close-ups of faces, yeah sometimes it can look awkward, but to call this 'bad art' is embarrassing. There's so much damn good in Pulido's She-Hulk:

Messi

The bar patrons in the back have faces. It's not a page filled with Vic Sage clones. As for extreme close-ups of faces, yeah sometimes it can look awkward, but to call this 'bad art' is embarrassing. There's so much damn good in Pulido's She-Hulk:

I knew you would use this page and yes I agree this was a great looking page. But she Hulks face is embarrassing 90% of the time.

monome

I know the amount of money I spend is crazy and thats why I am trying to cut it down a bit.

You could try and space a little more between issues to start trimming your pull.

There has to be some comics where the monthly urge to buy them is less heavy.

Also, at 240€/month, I hope your dealer has a red carpet at the entrance when you come buy...and try and diversify your escapism means. Good stuff in books and they are way cheaper than comics. While a good MP game can get you long hours occupied.

/ ends personnal counselling ;-P

Iron Fist? how good?

This was a good week for comics, Batman Eternal is looking to be some solid stuff. I found the history of the Durlans in GLC interesting this month, though Jon Stewart is already hinting at more self loathing and sulking. Batgirl, JL300, Superman/Wonderwoman, and Constantine were all solid. Though I'm not 100% sure what exactly happened in Constantine, need to re-read that one. Still have to read Samurai Jack, though I'm waiting for that to show up. Is anyone else here reading it?

I can't speak of the Marvel or Image stuff but this is what I would cut from your DC list Messi.

DC:
Batman: Lil Gotham
Birds of Prey
Catwoman
Suicide Squad

Some best of and worst of stuff.

Best Batman, Snyder's run on the character. I've been digging his stuff since day one. The stories he's told with the character, his overall handling of Batman, and his themes have resonated with me. When you add in Capullo just KILLING it every month, it's hard for me to say no to it.

Worst Batman run, Neal Adam's Batman: Odyssey. It just makes no fucking sense. It's all over the damn place. As much as I dislike another writers run for being convoluted and not what I want, this is even worse.

Best Superman, John Byrne's run with the character in the mid 80's. I really enjoyed how he made the character some one who enjoyed using his powers, who would just go for a flight the way some one might go for an evening walk. There was something in the character that spoke of his upbringing in Smallville more so than other runs. He wasn't a god walking among humans, he was a person with fantastic abilities doing what he could to make the world a better place. There was just something more fun about the character. It also revitalized Luthor IMHO, here was some one that could be a pain in Superman's ass beyond the usual evil scientist thing. Here was some one Superman couldn't stop by just punching him.

Worst Superman, Grant Morrison's run on the N52 Action Comics. It was too convoluted, it missed the mark on what the character should be. I'm also not a big fan of portraying Superman as the lonely isolated Alien with no one to connect with or that understands him. I also think having Ma and Pa Kent dead, just really takes something away from the character.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I knew you would use this page and yes I agree this was a great looking page. But she Hulks face is embarrassing 90% of the time.

Pulido does weird faces sure. But his art is unique (well, big Tim Sale influence but still, distinctive) and has both character and great design chops. I'd much rather that than Generic Superhero Artist #5289265, drawing ALL the muscles, carefully shadowing those beefy legs with rippling tendons.

Speaking of, I read Batman Eternal yesterday. Fabok is an interesting artist, I'd love to see a behind the scenes think as to his process. His panels are almost impossibly dense and detailed - how is he doing that? There a panel with those pig robot things in the bg and the mechanical details on them are perfect even when zooming right into pixels. Is he using 3d models for a lot of this? Would make sense. The Finch influence is so strong though, all his folks end up looking that weird muscle-face going on. And the art, while pristine and perfect feels pretty empty at the same time.

As for the story, is everyone else picking up how obvious that the Major dude is
BAD, right? Openly corrupt (even in front of Sawyer which I thought was super weird), champing at the bit to arrest Jimmy. He's the baddie, right?
Has he been intro'd/set up in another book?

So yeah, it was OK, I'll stick with it a bit more.

monome

Best Batman, Snyder's run on the character. I've been digging his stuff since day one. The stories he's told with the character, his overall handling of Batman, and his themes have resonated with me. When you add in Capullo just KILLING it every month, it's hard for me to say no to it.

agreed. I was very skeptic coming from Batman Inc. which I loved like my own child and the international and pop infused setting. Return to Gotham. Ending of Dick's Batman, etc...when in the end I even like Eternal and will buy it if only to support Snyder's master plan for Batman.

Worst Superman, Grant Morrison's run on the N52 Action Comics. It was too convoluted, it missed the mark on what the character should be. I'm also not a big fan of portraying Superman as the lonely isolated Alien with no one to connect with or that understands him. I also think having Ma and Pa Kent dead, just really takes something away from the character.

something happened there. I don't know what/who. But the intial pitch (young Clark doing big jumps) got butchered in favor of a shitty intergalactic planetary beat that would ashame the Beastie Boys with its lack of rythme.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I've always found that weird, because I feel like Year One got passed over, even though it feels like an evolution on TDKR, the next step. The book goes to some dark places and sometimes it feels like the whole damn town is corrupt, but ultimately its a very hopeful, optimistic story about human comradeship and honesty. No grim gritty revenge fantasies and nihilism here.

And that's something I always really enjoyed about Morrison's Batman JLA run onward. He openly admitted to hating the worst excesses of post-86 Batman (“a semi-unhinged, essentially humourless loner struggling with rage and guilt”). His Batman isn't crazy; hell he's the most competent, utterly self-assured human on the planet. He doesn't get off on beating up crooks. Its not even about "vengeance"; when he tells Jezebel Jet he got over his parents death, I believe it. And I think by making this kind of high-tech Batman billionaire ninja detective that still recognizably human, he was able to play in so many styles. Frank Miller, Dick Sprang, Adam West, O'Neil/Adams, Finger; one wasn't more valid and "definitive" a Batman than the other, and I think that brought back a real sense of wonder to the character.

jHrTZICvjVNiV.jpg

My man! You totally ''get" batman the same way I do. Love it. That's what I liked most about Morrison's run, he was actually moving the character forward, growing him up. The family aspect of that run is by far the most powerful and 'true'. What I love most about the run is how he subtly recontextualised Dick and Bruce to be brothers rather than father/son. It was so well done and made so much sense for the characters as they are now.

monome

My man! You totally ''get" batman the same way I do. Love it. That's what I liked most about Morrison's run, he was actually moving the character forward, growing him up. The family aspect of that run is by far the most powerful and 'true'. What I love most about the run is how he subtly recontextualised Dick and Bruce to be brothers rather than father/son. It was so well done and made so much sense for the characters as they are now.

Nu52 could have been good with Superman and Batman being 5/10 years apart in age, IMO.

Bruce having had a head start in building his martial skills/gadgets makes sense. Supes' aging is always a complicated matter. And Bruce being the epitome of Man, him being 30/35/40 doesn't change much his appearance.

monome

The best Batman book is Batman and Robin

how so?

Art-wise, Capullo is doing a grand slam ; he's regular , and on top of his game.

Story-wise, my only qualm with regular Batman is it being 100% Gotham centric.

A few arcs in, and Snyder has had the city destroyed/attacked 3/4 times already...

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Nu52 could have been good with Superman and Batman being 5/10 years apart in age, IMO.

Bruce having had a head start in building his martial skills/gadgets makes sense. Supes' aging is always a complicated matter. And Bruce being the epitome of Man, him being 30/35/40 doesn't change much his appearance.

Yeah I agree. tbh I just ignore it whenever they try to tell me that Batman has only been about for 5 years. Nope, don't believe you DC. 10 years or gtfo. It doesn't make any kind of sense otherwise. Damian being 10/11 makes even less sense on a 5 year timescale.

Messi

how so?

Art-wise, Capullo is doing a grand slam ; he's regular , and on top of his game.

Story-wise, my only qualm with regular Batman is it being 100% Gotham centric.

A few arcs in, and Snyder has had the city destroyed/attacked 3/4 times already...

I think they nail the emotions in Batman and Robin something that is missing from Snyder's Batman. Granted I love Snyder's batman and refuse to talk shit about Capullos art. Batman and Robin has made me feel like crying multiple times.

monome

I think they nail the emotions in Batman and Robin something that is missing from Snyder's Batman. Granted I love Snyder's batman and refuse to talk shit about Capullos art. Batman and Robin has made me feel like crying multiple times.

ok. that's a valid point. I'm in more into the villains and setting-ups so I guess to each his own.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I love the She-Hulk art, don't have an issue with the faces or anything. Part of the reason I feel like Marvel's on a roll right now is that they have all these solo titles with really distinctive styles, She-Hulk's a great example of that. It's just really stylised.

Filthy Slug

Yeah, there was a natural shift in relationships that was really great to watch unfold. The Bat-Family expanded, shifted, grew, and matured in entirely believable ways and, what I love most about the run: Morrison made the heart of his story about family, more specifically about mothers and fathers and the fallout that happens after a divorce, and who gets hurt the most from said fallout.

If you want to talk about definitive runs on characters, Morrison's is the Batman run for me. I'll be double-dipping for those omnibuses when they drop, Jedeye. You best believe.

Messi

Yeah, there was a natural shift in relationships that was really great to watch unfold. The Bat-Family expanded, shifted, grew, and matured in entirely believable ways and, what I love most about the run: Morrison made the heart of his story about family, more specifically about mothers and fathers and the fallout that happens after a divorce, and who gets hurt the most from said fallout.

If you want to talk about definitive runs on characters, Morrison's is the Batman run for me. I'll be double-dipping for those omnibuses when they drop, Jedeye. You best believe.

They are doing omnibuses?

Filthy Slug

They are doing omnibuses?
Eventually, I can't imagine them not doing that. They've released 3, I believe, Morrison omnibuses in the last 3 years. And Doom Patrol is dropping soon. It may just take a decade is all.

arkon

You have to ask yourself if it's worth all that extra cash just to stay current and be able to talk about the latest storylines as they happen.

It's not worth it for me if I'm not already enjoying a title enough to keep pulling it.

Hey GrandHarrier how easy/hard will it be to get the rad looking recently announced Simon Baz heroclix figure?

He is a part of the War of Light Event, so the only way to get the figures is to attend events and win the figures. They'll show up on the secondary market relatively quickly, I imagine. I got connections though so I'll probably be able to hook you up. I'll let you know when they are released.

Here is a cool reveal for most of the Green Lantern Corp figures in the set. Sizeable image, click to enlarge.

Dan Abnett is writing a rocket raccoon and groot book

comicsalliance.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-rocket-raccoon-and-groot-steal-the-galaxy-dan-abnett-novel/

tim1138

He is a part of the War of Light Event, so the only way to get the figures is to attend events and win the figures. They'll show up on the secondary market relatively quickly, I imagine. I got connections though so I'll probably be able to hook you up. I'll let you know when they are released.

Here is a cool reveal for most of the Green Lantern Corp figures in the set. Sizeable image, click to enlarge.

You are good people. I feel like they'd make a ton of money if they let people just buy the random figures, but so it goes. Digging around I also saw Brother Warth and Dex-Starr.

Splatt

jf50NUjExnUT2.jpg

Worst: Superman: Grounded

As forgettable as most of these non-Gene Ha/Aaron Kuder/Jae Lee drawn issues of Nu52 Superman may be, rest easy knowing they aren't as bad as JMS' abomination. Its like the ur-text of how not to write Superman. It should be taught in school. A bullying, patronizing, child-endangering, lazy, pouty, speechifying dullard of a character that attempts to solve "real world issues" and you find out real quick why it doesn't happen more often. It doesn't help when its performed in the most cliche, ham-fisted way possible, attacking one stupid strawman after another. Give this book to small children if you want them to grow up hating Superman.

Someone must have traveled in time and gave the book to young Frank Cho.

You are good people. I feel like they'd make a ton of money if they let people just buy the random figures, but so it goes. Digging around I also saw Brother Warth and Dex-Starr.

There is something like 90+ figures in the event. Most Heroclix you can just buy, from 5 figure or single figure packs, but War of Light is specifically made as a tournament attending event, to get people to go into stores. There has definitely been alot of complaints from the players about the sheer size of the set and the fact that it is tournaments only (and to a lesser degree the fact that its Lanterns, which people have wanted for quite awhile, as the last set was a tie in set to the Green Lantern Movie, lol). The last event only set was Marvel's Fear Itself.

Edit: Here is a link to a thread that lists every figure in the set to my knowledge. War of Light Evidence Thread

tim1138

There is something like 90+ figures in the event. Most Heroclix you can just buy, from 5 figure or single figure packs, but War of Light is specifically made as a tournament attending event, to get people to go into stores. There has definitely been alot of complaints from the players about the sheer size of the set and the fact that it is tournaments only (and to a lesser degree the fact that its Lanterns, which people have wanted for quite awhile, as the last set was a tie in set to the Green Lantern Movie, lol). The last event only set was Marvel's Fear Itself.

Edit: Here is a link to a thread that lists every figure in the set to my knowledge. War of Light Evidence Thread

Whenever you post the sets they look cool as hell, especially the New Gods and Legion sets. I randomly have a Hal Jordan one I got at FCBD like three years ago. Surely he's strong enough for me to win all the War of Light figures, right? Hahaha.

I do appreciate any assistance in landing that Simon Baz figure though.

After looking over that list I'd probably have bought the whole set. Lots of cool characters in that.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I'm definitely getting that Inc absolute. It'll be gorgeous.

Did they ever do an Absolute for Batman an Son through to RIP? IMO they've really disrespected the entirety of the run with their hodgepodge approach to collections.

Cheska

can't you just put some series into trades? that's what I used to do.

these days I go with a very light pull list and try issues here and there and shuffle with creative teams/arcs to keep it light.

Admittedly, it is very difficult to switch to trades when DC is ridiculous with their release cycle.

I think it's funny how many of us are trying to cut back, there's definitely a lot of fluff we've been trying to hold onto. I know that my weekly pull ranges from $30-$50 on average and that just feels like an absurd amount to me. Especially when I have a bad habit of double dipping on trades for series that I really like.

Marvel's trade release schedule has been reasonable, but they've been killing it with their "re-launch" so it's even more challenging to turn those down.

ReAxion

ya Messi, definitely decide what Marvels you can let slide to Unlimited.

Avengers, X-Men, Hulk, Punisher, WaXM, Captain Marvel, AN Ultimates can all slide.

Don't drop any of that Image list except Fuse tho :D

Please help me with my pull list. Show me what needs to go. Its so expensive :(

DC:
Batgirl
Batman: Lil Gotham
Batman and ... (Formerly and Robin)
Birds of Prey
Catwoman
Harley Quinn
Supergirl
Superman/Wonder Woman

Marvel:

Deadpool
X-Men
Wolvering and the X-Men (2014)
Hulk

Image:

Rat Queens
East of West
Chew
Pretty Deadly

All of this can go

What series will DC relaunch today with a mediocre creative team?

Is there any comic superstars, other than yourself (Walmart obligations), who can write a book right now?

Need to give some new blood a shot. Marvel gave Felipe Smith a chance on Ghost Rider and it's only 2 issues in but he is doing great with it.

Is there any comic superstars, other than yourself (Walmart obligations), who can write a book right now?

Need to give some new blood a shot. Marvel gave Felipe Smith a chance on Ghost Rider and it's only 2 issues in but he is doing great with it.
Well they had a "talent" competition for artists in Harley Quinn 0 but it was clearly a work. Need one for writers. These pitches can't possibly be the best? Are they?

Bii

I'm digging All-New Ghost Rider as well. The art design is very similar to Bleach, or is that just me? I can't help but think of Bleach as I'm reading through it, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom