• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo, Batman Eternal was the most boring book to feature killer pig-robots. Jedeye was spot-on, that art is entirely soulless.

Don't understand these soulless arguements. These are some of the most detail packed panels I've seen in awhile and they have a sense of frenetic energy and action that is just fun to look at. Then again some of the people who've said this also like the atrocious faces in books like She-Hulk, so I suppose it falls into that "personal taste" category.

Don't understand these soulless arguements. These are some of the most detail packed panels I've seen in awhile and they have a sense of frenetic energy and action that is just fun to look at. Then again some of the people who've said this also like the atrocious faces in books like She-Hulk, so I suppose it falls into that "personal taste" category.

Yeah, Fabok is one of my favorite artist. He received so many good reviews for his work in Eternal this week.

Messi

Don't understand these soulless arguements. These are some of the most detail packed panels I've seen in awhile and they have a sense of frenetic energy and action that is just fun to look at. Then again some of the people who've said this also like the atrocious faces in books like She-Hulk,I suppose it falls into that "personal taste" category.

n501a053464eec.gif

Honestly, though, there seems to be a particular shift in style between Marvel and DC, but it's not so much in the artists as it is the colorists. You're seeing a lot more "bright, primary colors", versus a more "realistic" approach. It's certainly not new but it's becoming way more prevalent than it was before and I wonder if there is an element of people latching onto this championing it.

Cheska

You know what doesn't seem to have enough discussion this week? Captain Marvel #2! Man, I had so many laugh out loud moments, and I loved how they handled the
Guardians of the Galaxy introduction. Rocket in particular is just so damn perfect.

Also, get on that Secret Avengers hype car! This team is sooo good. #ClapforMODOK

You know what doesn't seem to have enough discussion this week? Captain Marvel #2! Man, I had so many laugh out loud moments, and I loved how they handled the
Guardians of the Galaxy introduction. Rocket in particular is just so damn perfect.

Also, get on that Secret Avengers hype car! This team is sooo good. #ClapforMODOK

Agree! It's in contention for a book if the month spot. Both of them.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I think Fabok is technically impeccable and perfect, bit his work lacks dynamism. I don't know what harrier is referring to by saying frantic, he's the opposite - almost photographic freeze frames and impossibly detailed, bit with static and uninspired layouts and compositions. I don't get "wow" page turns from him.

Speaking of good art though, how fucking good is Rodriguez on Daredevil?? Dudes the fucking colourist, he has no right to also be the best penciller of the whole run too. Love everything about his style, so clean and uncluttered but perfectly detailed. I like me some Samnee but brah got overshadowed by his support act.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Yeah, the story is fires and explosions everywhere and BOOM POW and Pig-robots with machine guns and ohmy, did Professor Pyg get tripped up by Batman and crush his own pig-face-mask with his boots? but there's no "frenetic energy" present. Everybody is damn muscle-y and everybody is thin and everything is washed over in this dirty metal tint and everybody is posed in place, with moments just stuck there. Absolutely nothing sticks out about his panel layouts or his art in general aside from his ability to detail the small wires in pig-robots down to a microscopic level.

As for She-Hulk, yeah, Pulido is fantastic and actually knows how to compose an interesting panel/page/comic. I'd take his somewhat cartoon-y faces over the dire realism of Fabok's art every time. I don't give a shit about how detailed each and every window on each and every building in the boring background looks.

Quotes from reviews.

Jason Fabok just gets it, he just seems to know how to depict Batman and Gotham City. There is one panel I just fell in love with: Batman is pinning down Professor Pyg and all you you can see on his face are his piercing white eye slits, the rest is in silhouette. The posture for the characters is perfect. With the addition of Brad Anderson’s colors, the dark, gritty tone of the city and characters shines. The four panels on page one are the introduction to the artistic marvel this series will no doubt continue to have.

Fabok’s sharp and clean pencils and inks lend themselves perfectly to an issue that focuses on characterization and quickly changing emotion like Eternal #1. His Batman is big, beefy, and towering, but still maintains a humanity about himself, particularly in conversation with Gordon. The action is fierce and flows through the pages in rapid-fire progression, giving the entire build-up to the ultimate disaster a real sense of panic. I already pretty much hate Major Forbes, based on Fabok’s close-up of his face alone, and the care he’s given to every facial expression and personality is honorable, particularly for a series that is going to rely less on masks and more on regular human beings.

Fabok nails his responsibilities just as well. Everything, from gunfire to explosions to crashing trains, lavishly fills nearly every page. With rich coloring by Brad Anderson, the entire comic is a literal work of art. Fabok's larger panels detail the story's key moments, and the smaller ones pace it almost flawlessly. Before the issue even gets to any of that, though, Snyder and Tynion set up the issue with a foreboding one page flash-forward, grabbing readers at hello; a technique used to great effect in Snyder's other work.

Jason Fabok gives us a powerful intro to the series. There's a lot of big action and the characters look majestic. You'll find yourself pausing and hovering over each panel, taking in all the detai

Jason Fabok and Brad Anderson make an incredibly sleek issue. The line art is strong and fluid, making for visually stunning read. Fabok’s line art in particular stands out as superb — his use of diagonal lines in the fight scenes guide the readers seamlessly from panel to panel, and he manages to include an incredible amount of detail to really flesh out the environment. Anderson’s able to keep the dark tone of Gotham while still including bright colors to make different objects in overcrowded scenes stand out, especially in the two-page spread with the collision of the train. Though there’s so much going on, along with so much debris, we can still clearly see everything that’s going on.

I wonder if you guys are reading the same book as everyone else. Read more reviews of the stunning art here.

http://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/reviews/dc-comics/batman-eternal/1

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Quotes from reviews.

I wonder if you guys are reading the same book as everyone else. Read more reviews of the stunning art here.

http://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/reviews/dc-comics/batman-eternal/1

That's great for him, but I personally don't put much (or any) stock in comic reviews. I care more about what friends say, what you guys think, and what my eyes see and process. Well, that and genuine write-ups from people I respect like Brothers or Sims. An argument should never be bolstered by "well look what the critics said!". Your own personal reasoning is way more sincere and intelligible than pull-quotes that plague trade covers and backs.

That's great for him, but I personally don't put much (or any) stock in comic reviews. I care more about what friends say, what you guys think, and what my eyes see and process. Well, that and genuine write-ups from people I respect like Brothers or Sims. An argument should never be bolstered by "well look what the critics said!". Your own personal reasoning is way more sincere and intelligible than pull-quotes that plague trade covers and backs.

I suck at putting things into my own words. I agree with all those quotes that I posted. I think he is one of the best Bat artist I have seen. He gets it.

I can understand the criticisms of the lack of kinetic feel in Eternal's art, but on the other hand you can do so much worse for art these days.

It may not be Kirby but it's a hell of a lot better than some of the other trash art that gets published.

Yeah, the story is fires and explosions everywhere and BOOM POW and Pig-robots with machine guns and ohmy, did Professor Pyg get tripped up by Batman and crush his own pig-face-mask with his boots? but there's no "frenetic energy" present. Everybody is damn muscle-y and everybody is thin and everything is washed over in this dirty metal tint and everybody is posed in place, with moments just stuck there. Absolutely nothing sticks out about his panel layouts or his art in general aside from his ability to detail the small wires in pig-robots down to a microscopic level.

The entire first action sequence is absolutely dynamic (imo). The frenetic energy that I am referencing is the pacing; The entire book just moves from one scene to the next. Yeah, there is a brief slowdown during the
GCPD section
, but it feels more like slowing to a brief jog to catch ones breath before continuing into the climax of the issue. On the issue of muscles and grit and metal and dirt; Yeah, it's Batman, it's Gotham. I have a certain expectation that is ingrained into me, at this point. Gotham is supposed to be the opposite of Metropolis, which is the clean City, the bright and sunny City, the City of tomorrow. Gotham is a City of the past, of decay.

As for She-Hulk, yeah, Pulido is fantastic and actually knows how to compose an interesting panel/page/comic. I'd take his somewhat cartoon-y faces over the dire realism of Fabok's art every time. I don't give a shit about how detailed each and every window on each and every building in the boring background looks.

HER FACE. I DON'T EVEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO HER CHEEK BONE. AND HER EYE. SHE SHOULD PROBABLY HAVE THAT LOOKED AT. ;)

0wFIqda.png

I just looked at some of the preview artwork for Eternal to see what you guys are fighting over, and it looks like the kind of artwork you'd expect to see in a typical Batman book these days. Which can be either good or bad, depending on whether you were hoping for typical or atypical out of your big-event-that-will-change-everything-forever Batman comic. Expectations and the eye of the beholder, and all that.

It's no Shalvey Moon Knight, that's for sure.

I just looked at some of the preview artwork for Eternal to see what you guys are fighting over, and it looks like the kind of artwork you'd expect to see in a typical Batman book these days. Which can be either good or bad, depending on whether you were hoping for typical or atypical out of your big-event-that-will-change-everything-forever Batman comic. Expectations and the eye of the beholder, and all that.

It's no Shalvey Moon Knight, that's for sure.

Yeah, it's that just shy of Van Sciver house style. Not terrible.

Speaking of amazing comics, I haven't finished the Bendis backup but I already love that he's like
"Whatever, Brubaker, you do what you want. I'm going to just make up a straight up whole new Milla so SUCK IT."

Yeah, it's that just shy of Van Sciver house style. Not terrible.

Speaking of amazing comics, I haven't finished the Bendis backup but I already love that he's like
"Whatever, Brubaker, you do what you want. I'm going to just make up a straight up whole new Milla so SUCK IT."
From Daredevil #1.50?

...Finish reading it.

Messi

I suck at putting things into my own words. I agree with all those quotes that I posted. I think he is one of the best Bat artist I have seen. He gets it.

Yeah but art is subjective and you can't expect everyone to like the same stuff. I don't like Pulido's faces but it's not bad art. I can see how some people
with bad taste
would like it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oh shit I just figured it out:

Fabok is like technical speed metal. It's incredible and I can see the skill and prowess, but I can't really dance to it.

*dusts hands* my work here is done.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
LAY OFF I STARTED IT ON THE TRAIN THIS MORNING AND THAT SHIT HAD LIKE MAD WORDS

OK BRO I FELT THE SAME I PROBABLY ONLY REALLY READ 80% OF THE WORDS I GOT TIRED

Read when finished:

I don't really know what to think of the story, I kinda wanted it to all be in her head, but I don't know if it is or not. Otherwise, isn't it just a women in refrigerators elseworlds? The line about Freddy Nelson made me think maybe she's just projected all this. But if that's the case then what's up with Bullseye at the end?

Whatevs it was nice to see Maleev again.

What If Age of Ultron is more compelling than yje actual event. Joe Keatinge is on fire right now. Brah tricked me into preordering Tech Jacket. Speking of Invincible, is Invincible Universe cncelled? Those brahs were putting out pretty decent work.

And Dead Letters surprised me. I accidentally ordered it. Then when I opened up ghe cover I saw one of Fraction and DeFraction's ghostwriting aliases and I was overxome with regret. But the paper felt great and the art and colors were vary frenetic. I don't go for ghese types of stories but the hook got me to purposely order the second issue.

Messi

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I can understand this.

I feel the same way about Jamie Reyes. Don't like him, don't hate him, I just....don't care.

Yeah but Jaime Reyes was never in one of the best books being published at the time, he was always C-tier.

Daredevil has been on blinding form since the relaunch. Having read all of it over the past couple of months I was astounded. Fantastic art and colours but the real story is how Waid has managed to fix an entirely broken character and make it look not only easy but fun. A nuanced and realistic take on Matt without needing to be grim, wonderful supporting cast, super well structured stories that can get dafter than you'd ever imagine it supporting but which still manage to stay grounded in character. So damn good.

That last bit is mostly to Messi I guess :p

Eh, I never used to care about DD either, at least when I was a kid. But then I followed Bendis over from Alias, went back and read through Miller's classic run, and I've been hooked ever since. It's one of only two books I stuck with even when I wasn't reading other comics.

It's all about the crazy high-quality runs, though. It's just always been too good to drop. I prefer/miss grimdark DD, I must confess, even though the Waid run has been a lot of fun. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom