• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Written by Amanda Conner. Hype hype hype. Even though everyone already knows Harleys origin.

Yeah exactly. That secret oranges book looks a bit superfluous.

Mad Love, Green Arrow Year One, Batman and Son.

What else do you need? If anything, the oranges book is likely to be watered down recaps of these excellent stories.

Yeah exactly. That secret oranges book looks a bit superfluous.

Mad Love, Green Arrow Year One, Batman and Son.

What else do you need? If anything, the oranges book is likely to be watered down recaps of these excellent stories.

Not everyone knows the origins and not every origin is the same.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Excellent reason to rehash stories that will have been told better elsewhere then. Although I am interested to see how DC make Damian work now that they ruined the timeline. And I wonder if they have a reason that Harley looks like a crack addled juggalette now, maybe she was molested, that would be novel. And I am looking forward to reading about how Green Arrow was stranded at age 14 and had a ward his own age.

monome

lol.

so Harley won't be a medical student/rookie falling in love with the Joker.

Damian won't be the genetically engineered son of Batman and Talia.

Oliver Queen won't be a filthy rich heir stranded on an island surviving with a bow and his smarts.

Messi

Just like her costume.

While I agree that her juggalette costume is really bad there have been looks other than the original one that looked good. Some of the outfits in the new series are really good. They are kind of moving away from that design slowly.

Excellent reason to rehash stories that will have been told better elsewhere then. Although I am interested to see how DC make Damian work now that they ruined the timeline. And I wonder if they have a reason that Harley looks like a crack addled juggalette now, maybe she was molested, that would be novel. And I am looking forward to reading about how Green Arrow was stranded at age 14 and had a ward his own age.

Oh word. You have a time machine? Or perhaps some way that people from the future can send issues back to you so you can already judge them. Gotta share bro!

lol.

so Harley won't be a medical student/rookie falling in love with the Joker.

Damian won't be the genetically engineered son of Batman and Talia.

Oliver Queen won't be a filthy rich heir stranded on an island surviving with a bow and his smarts.

Clearly. Ya'll are acting like origins haven't been updated occasionally. If you'll recall they've done secret origins before and they've been pretty good (Superman, Green Lantern, Legion).

But you're right. Let's assume they'll completely alter them beyond recognition because it's cool to assume DC'll fuck up everything and doesn't do anything right and you still hate the New 52 because waaaaaaah.

Man, Harley's origin is well defined and does not need to be fucked with. It's perfect.

I like the new look, personally, but that's just me.

Birdie, about where Avengers Undercover is going next issue...
I think there's a better than 50% chance that
that's not really Arcade. That Son of Satan is tricking them into killing someone else so that the Masters of Evil can eliminate someone they want eliminated and the kids will have nowhere else to go but Bagalia in one stroke. Like assassinating the President or something, lol. I mean, we've already seen him do something like that.
If not, I think that there's major collateral damage and innocent civilians killed with mostly the same result, but I'm going with the first explanation.
Also, I'm wondering if Cullen really has any control over the Glartrox or just thinks he does, and how much control he even has over himself.

That's an amazing theory and I LOVE IT.

#BillyEichner

Messi

Oh word. You have a time machine? Or perhaps some way that people from the future can send issues back to you so you can already judge them. Gotta share bro!

Clearly. Ya'll are acting like origins haven't been updated occasionally. If you'll recall they've done secret origins before and they've been pretty good (Superman, Green Lantern, Legion).

But you're right. Let's assume they'll completely alter them beyond recognition because it's cool to assume DC'll fuck up everything and doesn't do anything right and you still hate the New 52 because waaaaaaah.

I like the direction they are going with her look in the new series.

I've no problem with dc. I just don't believe Harley Quinn needs a new origin.

Well. Someone figure this out.

BlPa5_YIAAAuoHZ.jpg

After seeing the preview pages, it stings so bad seeing incredible Ryan Sook promo art for this.

DRAW COMICS, RYAN.

I like the direction they are going with her look in the new series.

Costumes come and go. As long as the character embodies the spirit of what made them fun, that's really all that matters to me. And I thought the 3D Harley villains month book had a really great Harleen. Loved that art for her.

HOWEVER, if we're talking 70s Legion. That shit can be erased from history.

Edit: Those other comments aren't directed at you Messi. Just some scrappin' with Jedeye and Mono.

Messi

Costumes come and go. As long as the character embodies the spirit of what made them fun, that's really all that matters to me.

Unless we're talking 70s Legion. That shit can be erased from history.

And to be fair to Palmiotti and Conner their harley has the spirit that is lacking in Suicide Squad.

monome

come on...let's call a cash-grab a cash-grab.

I'm not arguing about the potential quality of the titles. I won't buy them anyways.

All characters' origins could be used as compelling story beats during the regular series' arcs. It feels like the DCverse is chopped to pieces.

come on...let's call a cash-grab a cash-grab.

I'm not arguing about the potential quality of the titles. I won't buy them anyways.

All characters' origins could be used as compelling story beats during the regular series' arcs. It feels like the DCverse is chopped to pieces.

Everything is a cash grab. Everything. That's how consumer products work.

And I personally feel a Secret Origins title is the best compromise between forcing new origin stories onto people who don't want them and yet offering a place to go for those who do.

I wouldn't bite on the Comixology Invisibles sale. The trades and deluxe edition are in HD. The individual issues in the sale for volumes 1 and 2 are not. Vol 3 is okay if you want it. It's worth a little more, for me, to buy the deluxe edition collection to get them in HD. I suppose there's a chance they'll get upgraded someday but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

You actually think they'll be different? And you think that the updates will be better than legit classic stories? Sometimes you take being a DC white knight to spectacular new levels.

The Secret Origin series they used to do were OK but devoid of surprises. I don't see why this'll be any different.

PaulloDEC

Made some progress.

Power Girl #1 - Fun, but feels like pretty traditional superhero stuff. A bit concerned at the constant focus on PG's rack, but enjoyed the art and dialogue. Might read another.

Zero #1 - Very interesting, nice gritty-noir kinda feel. Would definitely check out another.

Superior Foes of Spiderman #1 - Wasn't really feeling this one. I get what they're going for with the band of misfit villains, but none of them really seem interesting or charismatic enough to carry it for me.

Locke and Key #1-6 - Ok, this is totally fantastic. I'm buying the next set of issues as soon as I'm done writing this post. Stunning art and very compelling storytelling.

You actually think they'll be different? And you think that the updates will be better than legit classic stories? Sometimes you take being a DC white knight to spectacular new levels.

The Secret Origin series they used to do were OK but devoid of surprises. I don't see why this'll be any different.

Do I believe the old stories are inherently superior simply because they are older? No. Do I think the new ones will be better? Don't know. I'll wait and see after I read them.

I didn't realize that pragmatism was "spectacular white knighting". I simply refuse to hate anything and everything DC just because they took away my old toys. I judge stuff on its own merits and I'm not jaded.

Made some progress.

Power Girl #1 - Fun, but feels like pretty traditional superhero stuff. A bit concerned at the constant focus on PG's rack, but enjoyed the art and dialogue. Might read another.

Zero #1 - Very interesting, nice gritty-noir kinda feel. Would definitely check out another.

Superior Foes of Spiderman #1 - Wasn't really feeling this one. I get what they're going for with the band of misfit villains, but none of them really seem interesting or charismatic enough to carry it for me.

Locke and Key #1-6 - Ok, this is totally fantastic. I'm buying the next set of issues as soon as I'm done writing this post. Stunning art and very compelling storytelling.

If you didn't click with Power Girl you can avoid the rest. It embraces the cheesecake while having some fun but it's not for everyone.

Glad you enjoyed Locke and Key. It's consistently great. I'll re-recommend Y the Last Man again.

PaulloDEC

If you didn't click with Power Girl you can avoid the rest. It embraces the cheesecake while having some fun but it's not for everyone.

Glad you enjoyed Locke and Key. It's consistently great. I'll re-recommend Y the Last Man again.

Given you nailed it with Locke and Key, I'll definitely give Y a shot when I get an opening.

Power Girl seems like a fun series, but I guess it didn't feel like anything I'd not seen before in other stuff. I might still grab #2 and see how it goes.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Do I believe the old stories are inherently superior simply because they are older? No. Do I think the new ones will be better? Don't know. I'll wait and see after I read them.

I didn't realize that pragmatism was "spectacular white knighting". I simply refuse to hate anything and everything DC just because they took away my old toys. I judge stuff on its own merits and I'm not jaded.

Dini and Timm (or Dini and whoever did that prestige book to bring Harley into mainline DCU), Diggle and Jock, Grant fuckin Morrison. All creators at the top of their game making stories that defined the characters. The possibility that the 10-page origin recaps will be better than the original stories is so remote as to be near-zero. I don't see how this is a contentious issue. It's not an attack on DC, it's an attack on pointless comics.

It's not like the New 52 had all these radically different origins anyway, I would wager considerable things on the origins being mostly unchanged. Apart from the handwaving that will be needed to have Damian make sense now.

Dini and Timm (or Dini and whoever did that prestige book to bring Harley into mainline DCU), Diggle and Jock, Grant fuckin Morrison. All creators at the top of their game making stories that defined the characters. The possibility that the 10-page origin recaps will be better than the original stories is so remote as to be near-zero. I don't see how this is a contentious issue. It's not an attack on DC, it's an attack on pointless comics.

Origins get retold every so often. It's just a thing that comics do. Partially to tweak them, partially to give an origin to a new generation. To say "this origin is it, don't change anything, this is the pinnacle so why even try" is just ridiculous. Things change. Times change. One has to adapt.

Messi

Your Avatar continues to frighten me. I suspect the source material is for people of lowborn status or questionable morals.

I expect those kinds of comments from someone with no class. My avatar perfectly represents how I read this thread when you are around.

Guys, I started reading Planetary and I have no idea what the heck is going on. Is that how it's supposed to be?
Yeah, it's something that you'll have to read again once it's over. That's because those few issues were written and drawn over a decade so it will feel weird.

I guess that makes sense, a few recap panels is enough. The best Dick Grayson stories in the past few years were when he was Batman, so I'm all for him having another new type of story. Fingers crossed that it'll be good, of course. Has this creative team done anything else?
Mikel Janin did some of his best work in the first year of JL:Dark which was mainly due to his colorist, Ulises Arreola (issues 1-6,9-13,annual). I'm not really too keen on his newer work.

Tim Seeley is currently writing Revival over at Image and he did a an issue or two of Talon recently. He also created Hack/Slash but what I'm saying is that I've not really followed his work so I'm going to be a bit cautious on the writing front. But he seems to be really happy on twitter right now: https://twitter.com/HackinTimSeeley

DRAW COMICS, RYAN.
Ryan can't meet the monthly deadline. Remember early X-factor run in 2006? He left after only 4 issues. He should however do the occasional annual or event issue. I wish he drew the final issue of Forever Evil.

Given you nailed it with Locke and Key, I'll definitely give Y a shot when I get an opening.
Try Fables and Sandman, both are from Vertigo DC. While Sandman art might feel dated, the writing is on an entirely different level and the reason why it's highly recommended even after all these years.

This quote is for all the Grant Morrison fans.

@HackinTimSeeley: @benito_cereno I will make it my mission to pick up all of Grant's greatest leftovers.

Talking about Spyral.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Origins get retold every so often. It's just a thing that comics do. Partially to tweak them, partially to give an origin to a new generation. To say "this origin is it, don't change anything, this is the pinnacle so why even try" is just ridiculous. Things change. Times change. One has to adapt.

You are missing THE ENTIRETY OF THE POINT though. A new generation? Damian's origin was covered comprehensively less than a five years ago. GA Year One is less than a decade old, and elements of the origin have been covered plenty well in his own book and on the TV show. We shouldn't care about updating continuity and all that crap. What matters is good stories, well told. Retelling things (not just things, but classic stories which are still in print) just so continuity matches up is not art or creativity or even particularly entertaining. It's busy-work designed to sell to completionists, newbies who don't know any better or Messi because it has Harley in it.

Put it this way - if someone reads this and then doesn't read Mad Love because they already know the origin - that's a crime.

For instance, so far Zero Year has only been acceptable since it has been a story told with panache but also because it's significantly different in the telling from Year One. And even that is walking a tightrope between being a good story in it's own right and telling me things I already know.

You are missing THE ENTIRETY OF THE POINT though. A new generation? Damian's origin was covered comprehensively less than a five years ago. GA Year One is less than a decade old, and elements of the origin have been covered plenty well in his own book and on the TV show. We shouldn't care about updating continuity and all that crap.

New 52 is a new generation. Things are different. Sorry this upsets you but we're two and a half years into it. Should probably move on and stop caring so much about what DC does. Perhaps the lolgic of Marvel's sliding time scale (which war was Tony involved in? Why the most recent lol) is better suited to your tastes?

kmfdmpig

It might sound freaky, but, the fact that we allowed this to become the norm kinda makes us misogynistic monsters. Like, as a fucking market, comics are fucking fucked up.

While I think there's some truth to that I also think that particular cover is a very bad one to use when writing an article arguing that comics portray women poorly. I mean every month there are many Zenescope books, Frank Cho covers or other cheesecake covers which would all be much better examples.

Also, while I know it's different it's worth remembering that both male and female bodies are extremely exaggerated in most cape books. I'm personally much more interested in how the characters are written as opposed to whether their bodies are a bit unrealistic. Gail Simone, for example, did not seem to have a problem with the art for Birds of Prey (even when it became a bit cheesecake with Benes) as the writing treated the characters with respect and did not objectify them.

In other words I think that comics do need to do a better job of handling female characters, but holding up Brett as if he's the epitome of what's wrong seems to miss the mark.

On to other fun topics - Multiversity sounds great. I can't wait. Grayson sounds somewhat interesting. The ex-CIA officer has me a bit intrigued even if the image of Dick with a gun seems to be so off.

Mumei

I have about half the Sandman trades, and I noticed something curious: The first and tenth collections fit snugly in the slipcase, but the others I own are slightly - but still noticeably - shorter. Is this normal? It's not too terribly annoying but I wish it weren't the case.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Guys, I started reading Planetary and I have no idea what the heck is going on. Is that how it's supposed to be?

Yeap, you just started, so don't fret. Follow Elijah Snow as he works through the secrets of Planetary and his past. You're meant to be in the dark for that aspect of the story, but the first few issues are great distillations of specific genres/comics history.

Yeah, it's something that you'll have to read again once it's over. That's because those few issues were written and drawn over a decade so it will feel weird.

Err, that's not really right. If he just started reading, he's right to be a bit confused about the overall purpose of Planetary and Elijah Snow's adventures. There was a long break at, like, issue 15 or something, at which point you'd know way more about the characters/overall story and you'd be following a concrete thread.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
So until someone posted about it here the other day I completely missed that Avengers Undercover is Avengers Arena Season 2. I don't know how, but I'm super pumped that I get to continue that story now. Picked up the first two issues and blasted through them. Great stuff. I loved Arena, great art and really interesting take for someone who only knew of Chase and Niko from Runaways before reading, now I'm properly invested. Cammi continues to be awesome, and I'm really enjoying Cullen in this new run. Again, no idea how I missed it but glad that someone here mentioned it.

Err, that's not really right. If he just started reading, he's right to be a bit confused about the overall purpose of Planetary and Elijah Snow's adventures. There was a long break at, like, issue 15 or something, at which point you'd know way more about the characters/overall story and you'd be following a concrete thread.
The entire series release schedule consisted of long breaks. For example the final issue took 3 years to come out after the previous one. The series is a bit dense so I didn't implied anything negative by saying it would take 2 readings to absorb all the plot details.

thisisbullshit.gif

So until someone posted about it here the other day I completely missed that Avengers Undercover is Avengers Arena Season 2. I don't know how, but I'm super pumped that I get to continue that story now. Picked up the first two issues and blasted through them. Great stuff. I loved Arena, great art and really interesting take for someone who only knew of Chase and Niko from Runaways before reading, now I'm properly invested. Cammi continues to be awesome, and I'm really enjoying Cullen in this new run. Again, no idea how I missed it but glad that someone here mentioned it.

It's been okay so far, not as immediately gripping as Arena. I'm confident it'll get better though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom