• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
TN4Wk8O.jpg

Close enough, I'm in.

Owzers

That is not a fair comparison. A Harley spy book would be amazing. Imagine the wacky hijinks she could get up to. Also you know my weaknesses, I can't say no to Harley books. I bought those suicide squad death of the family issues...

Does that mean you have to cut another book? you seem to get all the new books.

I'd read it if it were Harley too, i'll probably skip Grayson though.

Hawkeye #17 was both bad as the next issue of Hawkeye, a book that has no pacing anymore and just does whatever whenever, and bad as a fun one-off issue.

Besides new xmen, what are Morissons best books? I've never read anything from him.

And what do people mean when they say Morrisson has a weird writing style?

He is big on metaphysics and metafiction. Strange stories about doubting the nature of reality, or stories about fiction, where storytelling itself is a part of the laws of physics and shapes the actual world.

He also is an encyclopedia of comic book nerd knowledge and does not hesitate to leverage mountains of it.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Can you fill me in on what the appeal is with Doop?

You'd have to first read Milligan and Allred's excellent X-Statix. At face value, he's a silly, cute, gross-ass character who has unknown powers and speaks Doopinese. But he's used in some great and novel ways by Milligan, such as interjecting himself into Battle of the Atom by digging through the margins in comics. There's also a perfect Doop issue in Aaron's Wolverine and the X-men run that shows what Doop did for the school. Doop comics are always great fun.

ElNarez

Banned

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
http://www.avclub.com/article/doop-21st-centurys-most-important-superhero-comics-203174

^ This is a super great piece on doop, that explains his appeal as him basically being comic book absurdity given weird floaty green flesh, and it's a pretty good interpretation. Doop doesn't make any goddamn sense, and that's why I love him so. That, and X-Statix is probably one of the greatest comic books ever produced.

Cool, thanks for posting that. I love the point made that Doop is no more nonsensical and illogical than Battle of the Atom.

Cheska

Do Monkeybrain comics tend to be digital only? I am super duper pumped for Skinned by Jeremy Holt but it doesn't appear to be releasing in print.

ElNarez

Banned
How's the whole super-spy thing going to work out for Dick when the entire planet saw his face?

I mean, how's the super-spy thing gonna work when in his careers as a Flying Grayson and as Batman his entire job was to be as visible as possible whether for entertainment or to strike fear in the heart of a suspicious and cowardly lot? Comics.

How's the whole super-spy thing going to work out for Dick when the entire planet saw his face?

Most people don't have photographic memory that instantly records all the details of a face they might have seen, for a very brief instant, on a screen while the virtual end of the world was happening.

Might also wanna ask James Bond. He seems to do OK.

Counter Question: How does a guy who tried to enslave the human race who can shoot punches out of his eyes stay hidden?

tim1138

Most people don't have photographic memory that instantly records all the details of a face they might have seen, for a very brief instant, on a screen while the virtual end of the world was happening.

Counter Question: How does a guy who tried to enslave the human race who can shoot punches out of his eyes stay hidden?

This made me laugh way more than it should.

Obviously the answer to both your questions is "Comics!"

Zatanna is going to make the world forget that happened

:p

I mean, how's the super-spy thing gonna work when in his careers as a Flying Grayson and as Batman his entire job was to be as visible as possible whether for entertainment or to strike fear in the heart of a suspicious and cowardly lot? Comics.

This is a silly question. Just take a moment and think about it.
I am genuinely... alright, only mildly curious about this guys. I don't read Forever Evil, I barely read any DC, but I'm wondering how they're going to explain this away. Because we live in a digital age when EVERYTHING of even minor note that happens is being recorded by someone somewhere, on a DVR or a smartphone or something. A superhero gets the sh*t kicked out of him, he's paraded out in front of a worldwide audience, his mask is ripped off, and his driver's license and backstory and everything are presented to the public in a big, showy way. People are instantly going to go online and search for his facebook and Twitter accounts, news networks are going to start researching his history, calls are going to go out to his friends and coworkers, women he dated, his neighbors, etc.

urAhJNu.jpg

Are they giving him a new identity? Like, the book's is being called 'GRAYSON' but he's going to go by "John Blake" so the Nolan fans can go "OMG just like in Dark Knight Rises inside joke!"

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I am genuinely... alright, only mildly curious about this guys. I don't read Forever Evil, I barely read any DC, but I'm wondering how they're going to explain this away. Because we live in a digital age when EVERYTHING of even minor note that happens is being recorded by someone somewhere, on a DVR or a smartphone or something. A superhero gets the sh*t kicked out of him, he's paraded out in front of a worldwide audience, his mask is ripped off, and his driver's license and backstory and everything are presented too. People are instantly going to go online and search for his facebook and Twitter accounts, news networks are going to start researching his history, calls are going to go out.

urAhJNu.jpg

Are they giving him a new identity? Like, the book's is being called 'GRAYSON' but he's going to go by "John Blake" so the Nolan fans can go "OMG just like in Dark Knight Rises inside joke!"

Cyborg and Zatanna team up to create a magical technology virus to force people to forget about him, but it will only hold up so long as he does nothing to remind anyone about his superhero identity.

I am genuinely... alright, only mildly curious about this guys. I don't read Forever Evil, I barely read any DC, but I'm wondering how they're going to explain this away. Because we live in a digital age when EVERYTHING of even minor note that happens is being recorded by someone somewhere, on a DVR or a smartphone or something. A superhero gets the sh*t kicked out of him, he's paraded out in front of a worldwide audience, his mask is ripped off, and his driver's license and backstory and everything are presented to the public in a big, showy way. People are instantly going to go online and search for his facebook and Twitter accounts, news networks are going to start researching his history, calls are going to go out.

For all intents and purposes, society has shut down, during the events of Forever Evil. The Government has gone into hiding, huge swaths of the world are under attack / domination by the Crime Syndicate or those villains allied with them. The world has fallen into a perpetual solar eclipse. Many cities don't even have power. All of this happened shortly after the reveal.

People have other, slightly more important things to deal with, like basic survival.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
The big, bad, omnibus definitely reprints the infamous "chaos magick jerkoff session for Thanksgiving" but I'm not sure if any other letters are in it. I'll flip through it tomorrow to double check. Your best bet for those letters is seed-y means. They're vital and interesting to the point where I'm shocked that DC hasn't published them in some collected format. Like, The Annotated Invisibles.

Ah, gotcha. I'd appreciate that if you do have a chance! Thanks for the info!
I'm pretty surprised that they didn't put them in the Deluxe Edition that just came out. Supposedly there are absolutely no extras in them at all, which is pretty odd.

Ain't about that breaking the fourth wall lifestyle.

Those sort of characters just bother me.

In X-Statix Doop doesn't break the fourth wall.

Can you fill me in on what the appeal is with Doop?

The thing about Doop is that he's cute and silly and all that, but he's also got that menace and ambiguity. And also the great faces. He's definitely just a character that's there for laughs, but he's a good one.

Read X-Statix

Seconded. You can get the X-Statix omnibus for $35 shipped. 1200 pages of great comics for $35.

What's up, comic GAF! Just a quick question.

Is Y: The Last Man any good? I found a few TPBs in a shop and I'm wondering if they're worth a look. I can probably get them for around $10 each.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Fuck that, Cass and Tim book first.

But seriously Nightwing/Batgirl I would probably get every issue.

This is what I'm saying! It would sell very well. The some of the best issues in either book are when they team up. They are fun together, people like it. God forbid DC take advantage of this fact and put out a book with the both of them in it.

ReiGun

Watching Justice League. Damn, "Hawk and Dove" is a bad episode and I fully blame it for my not liking those characters.

Ok, I think Tomasi might be writing the rumored Robin book.
His current "Batman and *" arc is focused on retrieving Damian's body and he is solicited to write Damian's secret origin in Secret Origin #4.

On the other hand, this might just clear up how and when was Damian concieved in the NuDCU.

arkon

I am genuinely... alright, only mildly curious about this guys. I don't read Forever Evil, I barely read any DC, but I'm wondering how they're going to explain this away. Because we live in a digital age when EVERYTHING of even minor note that happens is being recorded by someone somewhere, on a DVR or a smartphone or something. A superhero gets the sh*t kicked out of him, he's paraded out in front of a worldwide audience, his mask is ripped off, and his driver's license and backstory and everything are presented to the public in a big, showy way. People are instantly going to go online and search for his facebook and Twitter accounts, news networks are going to start researching his history, calls are going to go out to his friends and coworkers, women he dated, his neighbors, etc.

urAhJNu.jpg

He wears a disguise on his missions. Simple.

Spike, you and readers like you, are the reason comics become boring. Just roll with it dude. If the writing is good than judge it on that. Fuck logic.

i thought about it for a few seconds, and i'm actually kinda curious about how this turns out. Mikel Janin is pretty good IIRC. Tim Seeley isn't notably interesting but the other guy being a former CIA AGENT OFFICER SPY DUDE should be very interesting
Grayson will be the Sterling Archer of the DCU
Barbara. BARBARA. BARBARAAAAAAAAA

The big, bad, omnibus definitely reprints the infamous "chaos magick jerkoff session for Thanksgiving" but I'm not sure if any other letters are in it. I'll flip through it tomorrow to double check. Your best bet for those letters is seed-y means. They're vital and interesting to the point where I'm shocked that DC hasn't published them in some collected format. Like, The Annotated Invisibles.

I just checked- there is a fair bit of extras including his original series proposals and several essays from the issues but all of the letters columns are not there.

Filthy Slug

So GRAYSON looks kind of terrible
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2014/04/14/grayson-comic-book-series/7480853/

Should have got Kot to write it

Grayson seems like Red Hood: The Lost Days, which was surprisingly good for being a Judd Winick book about Jason Todd taking down international criminals after being resurrected and trained by The League of Assassins.

Come to think of it, this is the same fucking book, but with a metaphorical death/resurrection instead of the literal. Whatever, I'm all for it, as New52 Nightwing was a damn snoozefest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom