• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I have never seen DCs Twitter hype something like this. Watch it be stupid.

https://twitter.com/dccomics/status/455914679932817409

Who is up for late night Comic-GAF?

Hey, if it's about Damian, somebody wake me up. If it's another weekly, please don't mention it ever or at all:
tumblr_mjvslb7B8t1rxsftpo1_500.gif

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I just checked- there is a fair bit of extras including his original series proposals and several essays from the issues but all of the letters columns are not there.

Ah, all right. Bummer about the letters column, but those other extras sound really neat. Thanks for checking!

Dream projects go!

Morrison/Burnham Jonah Hex

...I haven't actually read any Jonah Hex (though I do have a TPB on the way), but from the very little I know about Jonah Hex, I'm pretty sure Morrison would nail it.

Edit:
Remender/Opena Lone Ranger sounds pretty great too. Couldn't get enough of those Texas/cowboy parts of Fear Agent.

J10

Banned
What are the best series' DC is putting out right now? Someone suggested Wonder Woman to me recently. Anything else?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
What are the best series' DC is putting out right now? Someone suggested Wonder Woman to me recently. Anything else?

Some favorites here are Green Arrow, Batman, and Batman & ______
I'm probably forgetting some.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Birdie, about where Avengers Undercover is going next issue...
I think there's a better than 50% chance that
that's not really Arcade. That Son of Satan is tricking them into killing someone else so that the Masters of Evil can eliminate someone they want eliminated and the kids will have nowhere else to go but Bagalia in one stroke. Like assassinating the President or something, lol. I mean, we've already seen him do something like that.
If not, I think that there's major collateral damage and innocent civilians killed with mostly the same result, but I'm going with the first explanation.
Also, I'm wondering if Cullen really has any control over the Glartrox or just thinks he does, and how much control he even has over himself.

My favs.

Batman
Action Comics
Red Lanterns
Green Arrow
Superman/Wonder Woman
Batman and Robin
Harley Quinn

Next week Justice League United launches.
In June Geoff Johns and JRJR take over Superman.
Batman Eternal just launched.
Detective Comics has a new creative team with potential todo great things.

Grayson with Mikel Janin... not sure. His current JL:D art is mediocre compared to his earlier work. It's a tragedy that Ulises Arreola stop coloring his work after JL:D Annual , he really elevated Mikel's artwork to a higher level.

This status quo change sounds like a temporary character phase like during the time on DCU Nightwing when he became a cop.

But Tim Seeley wanting to give Grayson a new arch-enemy and acknowledging him being a man-slut is a step in the right direction.

----------
3761303-secretorigins4.finalwm.jpg

SECRET ORIGINS #4
Written by AMANDA CONNER, JIMMY PALMIOTTI, JEFF LEMIRE and PETER J. TOMASI
Art by STEPHANE ROUX, DENYS COWAN, BILL SIENKIEWICZ and IAN BERTRAM
Cover by LEE BERMEJO
On sale JULY 23 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T
The latest explosive origins from DC COMICS – THE NEW 52 include Harley Quinn by Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti and Stephane Roux; Green Arrow by Jeff Lemire, Denys Cowan and Bill Sienkiewicz, and Damian, Son of Batman, by Peter J. Tomasi and Ian Bertram!

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/exclusive-secret-origins-4-solicitation-reveal/1100-148520/

So Harley, Green Arrow and Damian origins revealed in issue 4.

Well. Someone figure this out.

BlPa5_YIAAAuoHZ.jpg

The picture? Looks like the characters who will be featured in Future's End. The Blood Moon is probably referring to Brother Eye.

Most of the characters are those who haven't seen as much success in the New 52. So might be an attempt by DC to spotlight them and raise their prominence.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Closing a few runs off:
* Catwoman, Vol 3 (Brubaker)
* JLA, Vol 4
* Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Ultimate Collection, Vol 5

Cool art BUT WHAT DOES IT MEAN

It's a bunch of characters chasing each around an an unending labyrinth and getting nowhere fast. Sounds like the latest DC/Marvel event ;)

The Beyond Universe is doing a Justice Lords arc. Sadly both books seem to be wrapped up in it, so they'll be stuck there for a while.

So it could be that.
Nah, that's Future's End stuff. Almost all, if not all, of those guys have been seen in Future's End art, covers and solicitations.

Cade

Gotta say, Grayson could seriously go either way. Give me a Secret Avengers/Uncanny X-Force style clandestine, interesting characters in interesting locales situation, and I'm down. Give me boring
GOTTA HIDE THAT I'M NOT DEAD angst and OH NO I'M ALMOST FOUND OUT
drama and I'm... not down.

Gotta say, Grayson could seriously go either way. Give me a Secret Avengers/Uncanny X-Force style clandestine, interesting characters in interesting locales situation, and I'm down. Give me boring
GOTTA HIDE THAT I'M NOT DEAD angst and OH NO I'M ALMOST FOUND OUT
drama and I'm... not down.

This is what I worry about, Nightwing has been average for the last decade. I really want the character to ascend because it has the potential too. This could be DC's Hawkeye if they approach it the right way.

Hawkeye as in popularity not in pizza dog shenanigans.

Cade

This is what I worry about, Nightwing has been average for the last decade. I really want the character to ascend because it has the potential too. This could be DC's Hawkeye if they approach it the right way.

Hawkeye as in popularity not in pizza dog shenanigans.

Could it though? Hawkeye was in a big movie and even though they're unrelated, the character still has name recognition. Not to mention Hawkeye is doing so well because it doesn't care much about continuity or ongoing Marvel stuff, whereas Grayson has a lot of stuff to understand right off the bat (IMO).

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for it to happen; DC could use their own Hawkeye and the series could do well in that not-tied-up-in-other-books niche, but somehow I doubt DC is smart enough to let it happen.

Purchases of the week:
Superior Spider-Man 31

That's it. I'll be picking it up at ComicCon personally instead of just buying it digitally. It's really exciting.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Awww shit Morisson's dropping Multiversity this summer. I'm going to be buying singles for the first time in a while.

I can't trade wait GMoz.

Cade

Awww shit Morisson's dropping Multiversity this summer. I'm going to be buying singles for the first time in a while.

I can't trade wait GMoz.

I don't know. Until I actually see them on shelves or digital I won't believe it's finally coming out.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I don't know. Until I actually see them on shelves or digital I won't believe it's finally coming out.
If they announced it I'm inclined to believe all the artists actually have their scripts and that Quitely has his work ready.

I don't see DC pulling an Inhuman on this one.

The sleeves and the belt look wrong though.
http://exploringthetimelab.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-robin-uniforms-in-new-52.html

What about the Batman with the glowing shield? The only one I know that has one is Smallville Batman and it's obviously not him. :p
Of course... don't know why I was trying to relate this to current continuity but all these characters are definitely individuals plucked from different timelines. Hence the costume differences and all.

----------

Could it though? Hawkeye was in a big movie and even though they're unrelated, the character still has name recognition. Not to mention Hawkeye is doing so well because it doesn't care much about continuity or ongoing Marvel stuff, whereas Grayson has a lot of stuff to understand right off the bat (IMO).

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for it to happen; DC could use their own Hawkeye and the series could do well in that not-tied-up-in-other-books niche, but somehow I doubt DC is smart enough to let it happen.
Of course. In Geoff Johns own words, Dick Grayson comes 4th after the trinity (Supes,Bats,WW) and honestly there isn't much that even a comics newbie needs to know. He was the first robin, grew up become NW, faked his death and is now doing wetworks. Even if you ask a casual person about Robin, they all say Dick Grayson who has the most recognition as Robin.

The more I think about it the more I can see this was a good move to separate him from the Bat family. The fact that DC is naming the comic Grayson and not Nightwing further makes me believe that DC is smart enough to let it happen.

Cade

Of course. In Geoff Johns own words, Dick Grayson comes 4th after the trinity (Supes,Bats,WW) and honestly there isn't much that even a comics newbie needs to know. He was the first robin, grew up become NW, faked his death and is now doing wetworks. Even if you ask a casual person about Robin, they all say Dick Grayson who has the most recognition as Robin.

The more I think about it the more I can see this was a good move to separate him from the Bat family. The fact that DC is naming the comic Grayson and not Nightwing further makes me believe that DC is smart enough to let it happen.

I guess that makes sense, a few recap panels is enough. The best Dick Grayson stories in the past few years were when he was Batman, so I'm all for him having another new type of story. Fingers crossed that it'll be good, of course. Has this creative team done anything else?

ElNarez

Banned
The other problem is that Janin's competent but really nothing special which kinda sucks for this kind of Weird Spy Thriller.. I think Greg Land would've been better for the job considering how good he is at drawing secret asian men.

The other problem is that Janin's competent but really nothing special which kinda sucks for this kind of Weird Spy Thriller.. I think Greg Land would've been better for the job considering how good he is at drawing secret asian men.
the mantra of that DC House Style™

monome

1st reaction to Grayson : meh.

Doesn't seem high profile enough.

Waiting to see some art/direction for the series, tho.

ElNarez

Banned
guys guys I was making a pun

as the one weirdo that actually read Justice League Dark from the beginning I know Janin will do right by the book

it's just

a pun

I saw the pun, I didn't want to acknowledge with anything but a gif but i didn't wanna look for one

and thus here we are
If the DC house style gives us books like Superman/Wonder Woman then I'll take it over the Marvel She-Hulk "We're so alt it hurts" style.

I don't know how you can look at that Grayson cover and not think it's great looking.
I have no issue with it, it is a competently illustrated cover

also i missed that Secret Origins #4 announcement. Siekiewicz and Cowan? That is totally not the DC House Style™ buuuuuuut idk it's harley quinn, so

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Ya'll gonna get a buncha people unprepared for Morrison weirdness reading this expecting the Citizen Kane of comics, and it's gonna be Morrison weirdness, and they're gonna scratch their heads at all the weirdness and wonder what's so special about Morrison weirdness, and I won't be party to that. I won't!

Messi, lots of people read awful comics and can't help themselves, not just you.

Yeah but fuck those people :p

One of my favourite things on the internet is furrow-brow'd, pissed off incomprehension from numpties. Let's revel.

MisterHero

Adventures of Superman cancelled? The entire series will be collected at least.

Infinite Crisis takes place before the start of the video game and brings together wildly different versions of DC Universe heroes and villains from across the Multiverse to head off a Crisis that threatens to destroy all of their worlds. Heroes and villains from Gaslight, Atomic, Arcane, Mecha and other worlds battle and join forces with Prime Earth Batman in this rapidly escalating conflict.
So a multiverse-spanning crisis is the grounds for another Batman book?

942-okay-memebjqjm.jpg

Messi

Grayson with Mikel Janin... not sure. His current JL:D art is mediocre compared to his earlier work. It's a tragedy that Ulises Arreola stop coloring his work after JL:D Annual , he really elevated Mikel's artwork to a higher level.

This status quo change sounds like a temporary character phase like during the time on DCU Nightwing when he became a cop.

But Tim Seeley wanting to give Grayson a new arch-enemy and acknowledging him being a man-slut is a step in the right direction.

----------

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/exclusive-secret-origins-4-solicitation-reveal/1100-148520/

So Harley, Green Arrow and Damian origins revealed in issue 4.

Written by Amanda Conner. Hype hype hype. Even though everyone already knows Harleys origin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom