• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oof. Sort of wish I held off on my IST order 5 days ago so I could've gotten Spider-Man: Family Business and Marvel Knights Spider-Man...

Oh well. I'll probably pick them up eventually.

Edit: Also, did anyone pick up the Buzzkill TPB? I remember hearing good things about it as it was coming out.

tim1138

Thanks! And thanks GrandHarrier as well. : )

No problem, Johns GL is one of my favorite runs in comics. Depending on what characters you like, the post Blackest Night roster of books each focus on different GL's. The main book stays Hal (obviously), GLC becomes more Kyle centric, and Emerald Warrior was Guy centric. Sadly John kind of gets lost in the shuffle here, he's still in GLC but I don't remember him featuring all that prominently until the War of the Green Lanterns event.

tim1138

I used to lurk during those days. Those threads were great but kind of sad. The monthly megathread idea was some new52-level genius stuff.

It was truly a different era then, and I agree with what monome says below, I think comixology had a lot to do with expanding the market in general as well as here. I also think the monthly that format is more friendly and accessible for lapsed readers or new readers to get recommendations and suggestions. Those old threads were mostly just us taking about that week's releases and that was it.

monome said:
Comixology opened the comics binging gates to non US comics readers.

Nowadays comics cost me around 50% less than imported trade issues.
It was around 70% before comixology restricted me to its local store...

that and Nu52 and Marvel Now initiatives, and the rise of Image comics

Not only did comixology being in non US readers but it made binge reading so much easier.

GrandHarrier said:
Messi, you, myself and Korupt take the top spots on the wall of shame for number of posts. We just don't shut up. Fun fact: 90% of Messi's posts are about Nocenti.

Definitely a wonderful influx of new members. Heck even I am relatively new in the grand scheme of things.

P.S. Plz come back La Maquinon and Krypt0nian.

Yeah this has really turned into a nice little community.

I haven't seen Maq since her and Korupt had that word argument about Six Gun Gorilla. krytp0nian pops in every once in awhile, but I'm with you, I wish he'd come back more often.

Remember that one page where Captain America stood up in that one crummy event

fearitself4_4.jpg

lotta bang for your buck with pages like this

Just read Caliban #1. Liked it a lot. Ennis evokes Event Horizon and Alien with his internal monologues, rough-around-the-edges crew and the remote relationship established between Earth and ship, setting the stage nicely for a bit of deep space horror. Facundo Percio doesn't reveal anything special until weird shit starts happening about halfway through the issue, but shows he can deliver the goods when it does. Highly recommended to fans of the genre, and a no-brainer for Ennis fans...I am really looking forward to the next issue.

Ugh, they're doing a What if Age of Ultron?

God now I have to be remembered by how lame that thing was.

What If....Ultron was in Age of Ultron?

Mindwipe

Ugh, they're doing a What if Age of Ultron?

God now I have to be remembered by how lame that thing was.

WHAT IF.... Age of Ultron had been condensed into the three issues it had enough plot to fill?

WHAT IF.... Age of Ultron's resolution had been connected to the first five issues in any way?

WHAT IF.... readers had given a shit about any of the clearly alternate timeline characters in Age of Ultron?

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
Just catching up on Uncanny and New Avengers, this is probably a real noob question but can someone explain to me how these books exist in the same universe? Assuming they do, which I thought was the case.

Just catching up on Uncanny and New Avengers, this is probably a real noob question but can someone explain to me how these books exist in the same universe? Assuming they do, which I thought was the case.

They do, but Marvel lets Rick Remender play in his own sandbox, much as Brian Azzarello has had Wonder Woman all to himself despite those stories not really meshing well with what's happening elsewhere in the DCU. Best not to overthink it.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I'm only buying it if Filthy Slug gives the Booch's handiwork the thumbs up.

It'll be the first thing I read when I get home later tonite. Rest assured, I will be firmly planted on the crapper when I read Boochbag's latest offering.

So, with Inhumans coming out, I am curious,

Did they ever explain why the Terrigen Mist' bomb didn't kill all the humans who don't have the Inhuman gene? Or was that hand waved away?

Toa TAK

Banned
usm 200

>snf<

I'm right there with you, bro.

Seriously, it's what I expected from Bendis. Great comic and a nice lead into Miles Morales. Art is the best yet, everyone bought their A game here. Bendis does a great job writing people (from what I've seen). Can't wait for the next chapter for the Ultimate Spider-Man.

TIL Cyclops' laser beam eyes are actually inter-dimensional portals in which the particles shoot out with great directional concussive force whenever he uses his optic blasts. (marvel.wikia.com)

Hmmm, always learn something new on Reddit (TIL - Today I Learned)

Wow, Tec 30 was really good. Of course the art was amazing but the writing was really good. They did their homework. Nice nods to things happening in Zero Year and Batman and Robin.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
USM 200 just felt like a cruel reminder of all the cool directions it could have taken if we hadn't had the world's most boring Spider-Boy thrust upon us instead. The Parker years were definitely Bendis best run on anything Marvel. Felt great and cohesive, and even the shitty Ultimatum swerve didn't knock him too far off beat. It did ultimately take the wind out of his sails and made him want to switch it up even more, which brought us Boring Borales.

Also, uh, that last panel huh?

Eldren

I'm super late on the Greg Land thing but:

Scarlet%20Witch%20Resized.jpg

I always laugh at this. Jesus.

Anyway, two deliveries yesterday. Saga 3 and the first Lemire/Sorrentino Green Arrow trade. I know I shit on DC a lot for their trades (although I'm trying to stop being so negative) but man, there's a lot of content in this collection. Issues 17-24 plus 23.1, the villains month book. 9 issues of what looks like amazing storytelling from my brief sneak peek. I love the use of black and white to highlight specific spots in panels, very cool.

Avengers Arena is really good so far. Only partway through issue 2 but I'm digging it. Frank Martin and Jean Francois Beaulieu are doing some amazing colours and I feel like I'm getting a good grasp of each characters voice as well. The ending of the first issue though, I didn't see that coming. Really well done though.

tim1138

I'm beginning to think I'm never gonna get my copy of Fear Agent. Why something shipping from Indiana to Kentucky was routed through Pennsylvania is beyond me...
The lack of updates since the 30th is worrisome.

Expected Delivery Day: Wednesday, April 2, 2014
Product & Tracking Information
Postal Product:
Package Services
Features:
USPS Tracking™
DATE & TIME
STATUS OF ITEM
Depart USPS Sort Facility
WARRENDALE, PA 15095
March 29, 2014 , 11:18 pm
Processed at USPS Origin Sort Facility
WARRENDALE, PA 15095
March 29, 2014
Depart USPS Sort Facility
FORT WAYNE, IN 46802
March 28, 2014 , 9:08 pm
Processed at USPS Origin Sort Facility
FORT WAYNE, IN 46802
March 28, 2014 , 7:53 pm
Accepted at USPS Origin Sort Facility
FORT WAYNE, IN 46825

I'm beginning to think I'm never gonna get my copy of Fear Agent. Why something shipping from Indiana to Kentucky was routed through Pennsylvania is beyond me...
The lack of updates since the 30th is worrisome.

That sucks tim, mine shipped the 31st and arrived this morning to Chile. If nothing goes wrong in the Customs Office, it should be in my hands by Friday.

Did not feel Aquaman and The Others at all. This book suffers from the same problem that the current X-Force book, a team book where the individual characters lack personality. I felt like I was listening to someone tell a story that involved a cast of people and the person telling the story and the voices they gave to each character sounded the same or horribly exaggerated.

Why is it called issue 200 though?

The 160 issues of Peter Parker USM, plus the 28 Miles Morales... and umm Ultimate Fallout and Ultimate Six? Maybe?

Edit:
Ultimate Spider-Man (1-133)
Ultimate Six (1-7)
Ultimatum: Spider-Man Requiem (1-2)
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (1-26)
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Vol 2 (Miles Morales) (1-28)
Cataclysm: Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (1-3)

There, 199 issues.

Green Arrow week is Green Arrow week. Amazing once again. It's working against it though, it is so consistently amazing, it kinda doesn't stand out.

That ending!

Green Arrow week is Green Arrow week. Amazing once again. It's working against it though, it is so consistently amazing, it kinda doesn't stand out.

That ending!

Spoil it for me bro. How does
Ollie survive an arrow to the head?!

Curse not getting comics til' 7 pm. >_<

Why are Marvel so bad at doing event stories?

DC at least seem to fair a lot better in that area.

I don't believe either company is really good or bad at them (as a general rule) to be honest. It's always going to be easy to compare what the companies have done most recently. The event itself should always be judged on its own merits.

Spoil it for me bro. How does
Ollie survive an arrow to the head?!

Curse not getting comics til' 7 pm. >_<

The Shape Shifter Magus, was not Ollie.

Action Comics was really good. It was a prelude to Doomed and the book really captured the feeling of impending doom. Pak with great characterization. Kuder nailed the art.

Edit - Also, it seems this takes place after the events of Forever Evil without spoiling what happens with that.

I don't believe either company is really good or bad at them (as a general rule) to be honest. It's always going to be easy to compare what the companies have done most recently. The event itself should always be judged on its own merits.

Yup.

Final Crisis and Infinity
Brightest Day and Chaos War

They all got good and they all got bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom