• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read all my comics, even Black Science 1-5 which was excellent in one sitting.

My picks of the week or top of the pile. No order.

Detective Comics
Green Arrow
Moon Knight
Black Science
Action Comics

Moon knight was completely forgettable. As much as I like the character and the writer, shit better start happening or it's getting dropped. I'm not an art first guy, but I don't want half a comic of white space, especially when it's about people I don't care about who aren't moon knight...at 3.99. It had the pacing of an online only infinite comic.

ElNarez

Banned
I thought it was cool. I think reading Ms. Marvel made me appreciate it more. Kinda gave an origin to her story so far. Was it awkward like you said? Yes. But like I said, kinda like getting on a ride at a theme park and waiting for it to start, you don't know what to expect. It's a ride that hasn't even begun yet, could be fun.

The thing is, it reads like Soule took Fraction's original script, then got fucked up on cough syrup and tried to rewrite it from memory while Joe Mad, not knowing what to do, drew the pages for both scripts, then made a collage of his favorite panels.

Cheska

Can someone explain what the "Ultimates" is about? I see that the All New Ultimates is releasing next week and it looks interesting. I know that there's Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate X-Men but in what world do they exist in? Is that stuff cannon?

Can someone explain what the "Ultimates" is about? I see that the All New Ultimates is releasing next week and it looks interesting. I know that there's Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate X-Men but in what world do they exist in? Is that stuff cannon?

Basically Ultimate Universe version of the Avengers.

The Ultimate universe has its own canon, but it has crossed over with 616 a few times now. It's like Earth 2.

The Messi Effect strikes again.

We need a more concrete definition of the Messi Effect. I disagree with its use here because I'm not buying Pretty Deadly out of loyalty to a character despite bad writing, I'm buying a book with cool art that doesn't make any fucking sense

The thing is, it reads like Soule took Fraction's original script, then got fucked up on cough syrup and tried to rewrite it from memory while Joe Mad, not knowing what to do, drew the pages for both scripts, then made a collage of his favorite panels.

Probably what happened. I just can't discount Soule. He will make it good.

Messi

We need a more concrete definition of the Messi Effect. I disagree with its use here because I'm not buying Pretty Deadly out of loyalty to a character despite bad writing, I'm buying a book with cool art that doesn't make any fucking sense

Also this, define this 'Messi' effect :D

zeeaykay

Anyone get the Spider-Man OGN? How is it
All I've seen are some impressions on Reddit, which were very positive with both people saying it was much better than the avengers one. It's really weird they announced this back in June and it seems Marvel, or anyone really, hasn't said a peep since.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Well, you said you couldn't tell whether you liked it with no mention of its dumb, nonsensical writing. So you're picking up something for reasons other than "i like this book" or "this book is fucking fun and dope and is called SheHulk". Basically, you're throwing money at a book you dont like and you're unsure why. Blind character loyalty is just one aspect of the Messi Effect. Shit is multi-faceted, yo.

Mafro

Are there any series in particular that have been stand outs and more favorable?
Ultimates volume 1 and 2 by Mark Miller and Bryan Hitch are fantastic, it's a modern, post-9/11 take on the Avengers. It's one of my favourite comic runs of all time and the Avengers movie was influenced a lot by it.

The first 12 issues of Ultimate Comics: The Ultimates written by Jonathan Hickman are pretty good too, but the quality goes downhill quite a but after he leaves and Sam Humphries takes over.

Well, you said you couldn't tell whether you liked it with no mention of its dumb, nonsensical writing. So you're picking up something for reasons other than "i like this book" or "this book is fucking fun and dope and is called SheHulk". Basically, you're throwing money at a book you dont like and you're unsure why. Blind character loyalty is just one aspect of the Messi Effect. Shit is multi-faceted, yo.

Ehhh but I am sure why. I like the art a lot and I dig the themes. But the writing is shit, correct. No argument there. The uncertainty lies in whether the good outweighs the bad...right now, apparently it does? Because I'm still buying it.

I confess that some of that comes more from the potential of the book over what it has actually offered thus far, so....oh shit that's the Messi Effect right there isn't it

YntgNdA.jpg

Moon knight was completely forgettable. As much as I like the character and the writer, shit better start happening or it's getting dropped. I'm not an art first guy, but I don't want half a comic of white space, especially when it's about people I don't care about who aren't moon knight...at 3.99. It had the pacing of an online only infinite comic.

I think a lot was told in this issue by not having a bunch of dialog. The first issue showed one side of Moon Knight, his detective side. Witty and smart. This issue showed the super hero side of Moon Knight. What I loved about this issue was it showed action without words.

Take for example if you are reading Batgirl by Gail Simone. When Babs is in a action scene, Gail writes out every thought that runs through Babs head. It's annoying, actions should require no thought, it should be instinct. When Moon Knights
cape is ruined, without words, without emotion, he pulls out the grapple.
A Babs scene would have like 8 different thought boxes explaining her thought process on how she overcame that ordeal.

I think this was a perfect setup for showing how well Moon Knight is in a action sequence. Addition by subtraction.

Cheska

The first two volumes by Millar/Hitch...and those few issues Hickman/Ribic did was kinda dope

Ultimates volume 1 and 2 by Mark Miller and Bryan Hitch are fantastic, it's a modern, post-9/11 take on the Avengers. It's one of my favourite comic runs of all time and the Avengers movie was influenced a lot by it.

The first 12 issues of Ultimate Comics: The Ultimates written by Jonathan Hickman are pretty good too, but the quality goes downhill quite a but after he leaves and Sam Humphries takes over.

Are Ultimate Comics X-Men and Ultimate Comics Spider-Man any good? I kind of like the idea of the younger X kids.

Messi

I think a lot was told in this issue by not having a bunch of dialog. The first issue showed one side of Moon Knight, his detective side. Witty and smart. This issue showed the super hero side of Moon Knight. What I loved about this issue was it showed action without words.

Take for example if you are reading Batgirl by Gail Simone. When Babs is in a action scene, Gail writes out every thought that runs through Babs head. It's annoying, actions should require no thought, it should be instinct. When Moon Knights
cape is ruined, without words, without emotion, he pulls out the grapple.
A Babs scene would have like 8 different thought boxes explaining her thought process on how she overcame that ordeal.

I think this was a perfect setup for showing how well Moon Knight is in a action sequence. Addition by subtraction.

She talks because she is trying to reassure herself.

Also why was half of my moon knight book white pages? printing error?

She talks because she is trying to reassure herself.

Yeah, Babs without thinking through the combat would be like Spidey without the banter...just wouldn't feel right. The way characters act in combat is one of the things that keeps them distinct from each other; there's no right/wrong way to do it in general.

I think I might be the only person here still reading New Warriors.

The good? The pace picks up and this one seems interesting. Its becoming incredibly obvious that this book is not so much "new warriors" as it is "scarlet spider and his amazing friends." This isn't necessarily bad, but no one else really stands out while SS is consistently interesting.

The bad? Marvel's recent (?) Decision to not really give a shit about continuity means that the entire point of the book is irrelevant. Uncanny Avengers literally just addressed the entire plot New Warriors built itself around at the moment, making the high evolutionary anticlimactic and a bit of an idiot.

Fix this shit, marvel.

Some thoughts occurred to me while I was reading Moon Knight #2 today...

1) Yep, it's an Ellis book alright.
2) Holy sh*t this book is AMAZING.
3) The done-in-one, episodic storytelling format is woefully underutilized in today's comics.
4) People are probably definitely going to complain about all those "blank" pages.

Marvel Comics
Black Widow #5
Captain America #19
Loki Agent of Asgard #3
Moon Knight #2
She-Hulk #3

DC Comics
Detective Comics #30

Image Comics
Black Science #5
Starlight #2

Dark Horse Comics
Veil #2

Cheska

Don't know about Spidey, but people seem to like it. The Ultimate Comics X-Men series gets good when the Brian Wood run starts.

Those are the ones I was looking at. I think it's the one with Wolvie's son?

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm thinking of Nick Spencer.

Messi

Never read an issue of Detective Comics but I bought this months one. It was awesome. Wasn't prepared for
Damien feels twice.

I would agree if there wasn't a metric fuck-tonne of bizarre Ellis dialogue in the issue, though.
The Banks did it, man.
It was literally 3 pages of story stretched out into 20. Moon Knight was completely ineffectual when he finally appeared.
All of those people still died...he did not avenge anything, since un-introduced character number 10 did the killing while Moon Knight, the supposed badass, stands there like a schmuck.
The biggest problem is there wasn't a single strand of anything that a) connected to the great build-up and last panel of the first issue and b) there wasn't a single strand of anything in this issue that I want to see the next issue build off of, either.

I'm sure people will like it anyway, but it was pretty garbage from a storytelling perspective, especially compared to Loki #3 today which by all rights should be a way worse book.

Cheska

Ultimate Comics Spidey is good stuff.

Just ordered the first three volumes :)

All New Ultimates will also be introducing me to Cloak and Dagger. Seems like an interesting concept but it sucks that there doesn't seem to be a lot of literature behind the two.

Wait what is the delineating line people are using here between Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate Comics Spider-Man? I don't want Cheska getting confused.

Mafro

I would agree if there wasn't a metric fuck-tonne of bizarre Ellis dialogue in the issue, though.
The Banks did it, man.
It was literally 3 pages of story stretched out into 20. Moon Knight was completely ineffectual when he finally appeared.
All of those people still died...he did not avenge anything, since un-introduced character number 10 did the killing while Moon Knight, the supposed badass, stands there like a schmuck.
The biggest problem is there wasn't a single strand of anything that a) connected to the great build-up and last panel of the first issue and b) there wasn't a single strand of anything in this issue that I want to see the next issue build off of, either.

I'm sure people will like it anyway, but it was pretty garbage from a storytelling perspective, especially compared to Loki #3 today which by all rights should be a way worse book.
Just out of interest, but do you know Moon Knight's origin story?

I thought the complete opposite, it totally makes sense after #1. After what explained by the doctor at the end of the first issue, I thought
the first few pages of this one were written to make it look like Moon Knight was doing the killing given the descriptions could easily be about him due to him being left for dead in Egypt and his past work as a mercenary.

Textbook Warren Ellis and a lot of people seem to have completely missed this. My favourite book of the week.

ElNarez

Banned

Uh, dude. Did you not read the text in the white space? The one drawing a pretty heavy-handed parallel between the Sniper and Moon Knight, both mercenaries that have been left for dead and came back for revenge? Do you not see a possible way this might go, considering the Slasher in issue #1 was also a soldier of fortune left for dead trying to come back? There's a thematic link there, of being used by a higher power then disposed of, almost but not quite like having part of your brain possessed by an ancient Egyptian god of Vengeance.

And seriously, goddamn, those first eight pages are just cool.

Getting a bit spoiler-y with some of the Moon Knight discussion there, gang. Be mindful of spoilers.

EDIT: For clarity.

Mafro and ElNarez have it regarding the connecting themes so far, and I can't wait to see what the next "aspect" brings with it the next issue.

Just out of interest, but do you know Moon Knight's origin story?

Textbook Warren Ellis and a lot of people seem to have completely missed this. My favourite book of the week.

I am very familiar with Moon Knight and have read all of his series, which I suppose is why I don't need Ellis's made up foil characters to understand who Moon Knight is. What did we learn about Moon Knight in this issue other than he glides and throws batarangs?

Uh, dude. Did you not read the text in the white space? The one drawing a pretty heavy-handed parallel between the Sniper and Moon Knight, both mercenaries that have been left for dead and came back for revenge? Do you not see a possible way this might go, considering the Slasher in issue #1 was also a soldier of fortune left for dead trying to come back? There's a thematic link there, of being used by a higher power then disposed of, almost but not quite like having part of your brain possessed by an ancient Egyptian god of Vengeance.

And seriously, goddamn, those first eight pages are just cool.

Of course the issue makes sense thematically, but the first issue told basically the exact same thing in a much more interesting way. The heavy-handedness was what I disliked so much about it. The opening panels did not need to be that long...while a cool idea, it took forever to get to a point that mattered. Awful pacing for focusing on people I don't give a shit about, and shouldn't give a shit about. I will admit the preview panels of
his white cape flying down at a sniper
probably ruined the surprise of the issue for me as well.
Even though there was no possible way Moon Knight was the guy killing the entire group of people who conveniently all work in the same building.
My biggest problem is that it didn't do anything to progress past issue #1. I actually thought this issue would be a way better cold open #1 than a #2 issue. It felt like a holding pattern.

There is a really cool moment where Moon Knight's cape hearkens back to the opening white wash first half of the issue as it cuts diagonally across the panel, though. (Loki #3 had a better panel breaking moment though which actually made me think the issue was misprinted) The art was good (although I hate Moon Knight's face).

I don't want to talk about it anymore because I like Moon Knight so much and he was cool for a couple of pages in this issue. If the popularity of Ellis is what it will take to get a consistently released Moon Knight book then so be it, I guess.

P.S. Buy Loki.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom