• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

Zombine

Banned
It's not the minute changes to X-Men canon, it's the outright dismissal of the possibility of
Bobby being bisexual
that gets at me, for the pretty obvious reason that I'm bisexual.

But Freeza wasn't even remotely saying that. Bendis is just really lame in the aughts and his attempt at the subject is so weak it hurts. All sexual identities are welcome and accepted and fuckin awesome, but I know as a reader I want something like this to be fluid and not just a flavor of the month deal...which it will be. It is literally just filler here.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
If you have Jean's mind powers you can just
go around telling people they're gay
and boom!

It's not the minute changes to X-Men canon, it's the outright dismissal of the possibility of
Bobby being bisexual

That was my other theory, but I think that the one I posted seems the more likely of the two.

Bobby being bisexual

Come on man, you know that there aint no such thing as bisexuals, that's just a codeword for gays in denial.

Gods, this thing gon' explode in OT. Gon' be glorious.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, he named Nova freaking Richard Ryder and no editor had the balls to change it? Geez.

Bendis back on street books would be a good day.

Editor was probably asleep on that one. It pinponged between the two spellings between issues.

NexusCell

Yeah, sorry about posting that. Sort of stopped thinking for a bit after I saw the image on another forum.

Still, might as well chime in that its seems sort of offensive to me. It sort of bothers me that they're taking an established, heterosexual character who has explicitly been in several relationships with women, (I think Bobby was trying to get with Polaris), that the notion that young Bobby is gay means that either:

1. Future Bobby is also gay and has been pretending to be straight all this time.
or
2. This is an alternate reality Bobby.

There's going to be a shitstorm if its 1, so I'm begging Bendis that he at least considers 2 to be a viable "escape" option

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The only thing I can figure, if this is true, is that the
X-Men that Henry pulled out of the past were the younger X-Men of a different reality
. Then it would fit.
And allow for one Iceman to be gay, and one to be straight

That would make sense as to why reality hasnt collapsed yet.

Come on man, you know that there aint no such thing as bisexuals, that's just a codeword for gays in denial.

Gods, this thing gon' explode in OT. Gon' be glorious.

For the love of everything pure, dont make a damn thread. If i have to read another "this is why i dont read comics" i just may risk it

ElNarez

Banned
But Freeza wasn't even remotely saying that. Bendis is just really lame in the aughts and his attempt at the subject is so weak it hurts. All sexual identities are welcome and accepted and fuckin awesome, but I know as a reader I want something like this to be fluid and not just a flavor of the month deal...which it will be. It is literally just filler here.

I mean, if handled well, it could've been something meaningful. Like, that kind of representation is something we really need, to make comics more inclusive and all that, and outright dismissing it as "flavor of the month issue" is kinda shitty?

But shittier still is the way the comic, which I have now seen in full, deals with it, and the fucking bullshit way in which it deals with the question of bisexuality, repeating bullshit that I have heard and that is getting at me.

Mudcrab

Yeah, sorry about posting that. Sort of stopped thinking for a bit after I saw the image on another forum.

Still, might as well chime in that its seems sort of offensive to me. It sort of bothers me that they're taking an established, heterosexual character who has explicitly been in several relationships with women, (I think Bobby was trying to get with Polaris), that the notion that young Bobby is gay means that either:

1. Future Bobby is also gay and has been pretending to be straight all this time.
or
2. This is an alternate reality Bobby.

There's going to be a shitstorm if its 1, so I'm begging Bendis that he at least considers 2 to be a viable "escape" option

Marvel time travel means it has to be an alternate reality. Unless Doom's tech was involved.

Last couple of posts about ANXM need to be spoiler tagged, gang. If you're going to talk about a comic that hasn't been release yet at all, please do it under spoiler tags.

Benjamin's going to come in here and his head is going to explode.

Zombine

Banned
I mean, if handled well, it could've been something meaningful. Like, that kind of representation is something we really need, to make comics more inclusive and all that, and outright dismissing it as "flavor of the month issue" is kinda shitty?

But shittier still is the way the comic, which I have now seen in full, deals with it, and the fucking bullshit way in which it deals with the question of bisexuality, repeating bullshit that I have heard and that is getting at me.

Bendis just isn't very articulate, and he could very well make human sexuality seem like a choice, which we all know isn't true. Old Bobby is HARD Hetero, and there hasn't been a single story element to suggest otherwise, so the answer is: A) it's a different Bobby, or B) He "turns off the gay side" which is just...holy shit.

Marvel time travel means it has to be an alternate reality. Unless Doom's tech was involved.

Mark Gruenwald is dead, man. That hasn't been the rule for years and Brevoort has said he's not a fan of it. (Not that that rules out going back to that well for the denouement of this particular run, mind.)

Bendis just isn't very articulate, and he could very well make human sexuality seem like a choice, which we all know isn't true. Old Bobby is HARD Hetero, and there hasn't been a single story element to suggest otherwise, so the answer is: A) it's a different Bobby, or B) He "turns off the gay side" which is just...holy shit.

He wouldn't even necessarily have to turn it off, it could have been a time of experimentation for him. Preferences can change over time.

NexusCell

I think the big problem is that Bendis is basically insisting that Bobby has to be gay, when it turns out someone's sexual orientation is usually an extremely personal matter.

It's downright distasteful and shallow the way that its presented.

Mudcrab

There is exactly zero chance of Bendis doing anything like this.

Mark Gruenwald is dead, man. That hasn't been the rule for years and Brevoort has said he's not a fan of it. (Not that that rules out going back to that well for the denouement of this particular run, mind.)

Don't be surprised. This means
Teen X-men are here to stay, becoming their own characters (officially speaking), and maybe getting a solo book. Nothing has to change about the 616 X-men.

Pretty sure he got banned.

I know. If he wasn't chances are he'd get banned not long after posting.

Messi

Oh my fucking god I just saw the page where this happens. It's so fucking hilariously bad that I can't even fully comprehend how Bendis could possibly think this was a good idea at all.

Should I post the page? I really want to post the page.

Dont you dare

Last couple of posts about ANXM need to be spoiler tagged, gang. If you're going to talk about a comic that hasn't been release yet at all, please do it under spoiler tags.

Yeah for real. It takes one click to add spoiler tags to a post.

1243535-marvel_shatterstar_xfactoriiinationx_1_.jpg

Sup.

Messi

I didn't realize what I was reading. fucking sucks :(

Oh lawd.

It's even better than i expected. And by better i mean worse.

That always had to be the case, due to the way marvel timetravel etc etc.

nope. Dr. Doom's time machine was the exception to that.

This point is made glaringly obvious when teen cyclops "dies" for 30 seconds or so, and reality almost collapses due to paradox (adult cyclops not existing would royally fuck the status quo).

Its not an alternate x-men team.

Is it because shatterstars gay? The princess one above is closer than this one.

Shatterstar being gay ain't a spoiler, mate.

But no, it's because he's gay, rictor got jelly, they both smiling, and FRIEND.
They could've thrown a tribbiani "how you doin'" to make it clearer.
i do hope people realize that i'm having a giggle at the absurdity of the whole scenario.

nope. Dr. Doom's time machine was the exception to that.
well, yes, evidently. Since i always mention that, i assumed we were past such niceties and all.

how did they rez teen cyke, btw?

Top Bottom