• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

So is the payoff worth it in your opinion?

I'm not really a fan of Snyder's Batman, and this didn't change my mind about it. That about sums up my thoughts on it.

Don't know about your spoiler. I only saw one section.

I don't want to post more in depth simply because the issue hasn't released yet and I don't want to spoil anyone.

Messi

Bendis All New is a guilty pleasure for me. I love the art and the stupid storylines Bendis comes up with. I love the crossovers with GOTG and such. I know they are not great comics and most of you guys hate them but for me I really find them enjoyable. I want to read about Young Jean and Young Iceman and this is how I get to do that. I also love Uncanny but for different reasons. I believe that book is legit good.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I'm gonna wait on those Batman spoilers 'til the issue. I feel like I don't exactly know where this story is going, so I'm happy to not jump ahead.

Bii

Went to Big Wow Comicfest 2015 in San Jose, CA this past weekend. It's probably my favorite convention yet due to its size (just right), the number of artists doing commissions (plenty) and everyone's so damn nice.

Here's what I bought:
2015 Yearbook | 45 Years of Vampirella Art Book ($25)
Chew Vol. 9: Chicken Tenders ($8)
[4] Skottie Young Baby Variant comics ($20)
Amazing Spider-Man #1 Maximum Comics Exclusive (Free, signed by Adi Granov)

XlmZpvX.jpg

Here are the floppies that I got signed. Paolo Rivera for Daredevil and Adi Granov for Star Wars.

Fun fact. Paolo told me that the variant cover you see there for Daredevil #1 was actually an error. It was supposed to be in color but whoever selected the file, picked the wrong one. So what we got was the black and white version.

My sketchbook commissions that I got. First up is Paolo's (http://paolorivera.blogspot.com/). Thanks to whoever gave me the heads up to contact him because I don't think he was taking any more at the convention. I went to him as soon as the con opened, introduced myself and we chatted for a bit. Really cool and chill guy. He told me that he can definitely fit me in his schedule today but probably won't be able to finish it up until the end of the con, which I was totally okay with. I spent most of the first day browsing samples and prices for other artists that I was interested in getting. Needless to say, when I went back to pick up my book, the piece was stunning.

With an hour left of the first day, I dropped off my book to Leann Hill (http://www.leannhill.com/). She's known more for her Game of Thrones depiction of characters but wanted to see what she could do with Batman. She didn't get to finish it before the day was over but I went back on the second day and here it is:

It's difficult to see in the pic but there's subtle hints of pencil shadowing that she did that really makes it pop more.

Just around the corner, I spotted Derek Fridolfs' booth (http://dfridolfs.deviantart.com/). He was at my local comic shop last year for Free Comic Book Day giving out free sketches. Unfortunately, the line was extremely long and I didn't have the patience to wait. He told me that he's doing it again this year but I figured I'd get him now instead of taking a chacne then. Here's a little piece from L'il Gotham:

Now, the sleeper hit of the con. Brian Soriano (https://www.facebook.com/wrathcomics) was on the corner of a row with no one in front of his booth; he was too focused drawing a commission. So I look through his profile and his pencils are fuckin amazing. I'm kind of looking around and glanced over at his commissions' list and there was only one person on there. How the heck can one guy with such talent be looked over? I talked with him a bit and praised his work and he's the most humble dude ever. I asked how much was he charging for a commission and he says $25 for a bust. Sounds like a deal to me. But what I received in return was nothing short of spectacular (and way more than a bust):

I also included his piece he did of Dr. Strange/Shuma Gorath. I really wanted to buy the original from him (it was only $90) but didn't want to think of the additional costs I would need to get it custom framed. Though I am having second doubts of passing it over. Anyway, check his work out. If you see him, definitely get him to draw you something. He's on the quiet side but his art speaks volumes.

Lastly, I got a piece from Sanya Anwar (http://www.artbysanya.com/). She didn't have much samples in the way of male characters but I really liked her inked and colored works. I was pressed for time but still wanted something from her so I requested a basic pencilled piece. I wouldn't say I was disappointed with how it came out but I think she could have definitely do a better job. I actually asked her to do the piece just before she was going to a panel she was on, which may not have been the best time. Once she came back from her panel, she had a line of customers trying to buy her comics and prints. She didn't have a helper and so she had to pause while drawing to attend to the people throwing money at her. The con ended at 5:00pm but she didn't finish until 5:10pm/5:15pm. She was extremely nice and she had this sincere look to her as if she knew I wasn't extremely satisfied, which is not too far from the truth. But you know what? It's a piece I commissioned for and there will be some hits and misses, and I'm okay with that.

And not to end on a downer but I met the star of the show (CHESKA!). Not sure why she didn't have a booth or panel but it was fun meeting her. :p

Our meetup was short and I think we were trying to cram an hour's worth of conversation into two minutes but it was still fun! It was nice meeting your fiance too! I didn't get a chance to ask or see but what print was he holding in his hands? Chrissie Zullo's? We'll definitely have to coordinate any future meetups.

Short tidbits:
On the first day, as we made our way up to the hall, some guy asked us if he was heading in the right direction. he had 2-3 packs of items he was carrying. He looked extremely familiar but I couldn't place a name to a face. Turns out he was Mike Choi.
I was in the elevator with Riddle (https://www.facebook.com/Riddlesmessywardrobe) as she was making her way to the con as someone from the Marvel family (not Marvel comics, but Captain Marvel/Billy from DC family). She was trying to explain why she was in her getup to a couple who have no idea what's going on.
On another occassion, I was in the elevator with Mark Texeira (I think he was drunk) and Joe Weems.
On my way to the convention from my hotel, there's an underground passing that connects them both, I was walking alongside Jim Steranko! I didn't get a chance to say anything to him because I was "racing" with my son while he was in the stroller.

And commissions I couldn't get due to time constraints, $$, whathaveyou:
Nick Bradshaw and Adi Granov. Maybe I'll get these guys next time.

And on the topic of conventions, Greg Capullo and Skottie Young are attending SDCC this year. Hopefully they're there on a Thursday or Sunday.

NexusCell

Bendis All New is a guilty pleasure for me. I love the art and the stupid storylines Bendis comes up with. I love the crossovers with GOTG and such. I know they are not great comics and most of you guys hate them but for me I really find them enjoyable. I want to read about Young Jean and Young Iceman and this is how I get to do that. I also love Uncanny but for different reasons. I believe that book is legit good.

I freaking hate how he's trying to shove the Kitty Pryde and Starlord romance down our throats. Then again, a lot of my negative opinions about that ship come from Legendary Star Lord, so that may be Humphries fault.

Zombine

Banned
Bii, your pic with Franny is so adorable. It makes me excited for NYCC when all the ComicGAF members who said they would show won't.

Messi

I freaking hate how he's trying to shove the Kitty Pryde and Starlord romance down our throats. Then again, a lot of my negative opinions about that ship come from Legendary Star Lord, so that may be Humphries fault.

That book is a complete travesty lol

Squire

Banned
Any of you folks read X-Factor? I like mutants and detectives, too. Would be chocolate in my peanut butter, if it's good.

I think both books are legit good, but I guess I'm not that savvy...

How big are the X-spoilers on the previous page? I'm 20 issues into both Bendis books.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Any of you folks read X-Factor? I like mutants and detectives, too. Would be chocolate in my peanut butter, if it's good.

I think both books are legit good, but I guess I'm not that savvy...

How big are the X-spoilers on the previous page? I'm 20 issues into both Bendis books.

Throughout its run, the x-factor line has been amazingly diverse.

I officially throw in the towel on Hickman's Fantastic Four. I dunno if it's just my lack of familiarity with the characters or what, but I just cannot stand this series or (most of) these characters. Reed's constant furious masturbating to his own intelligence is a big part of the problem, admittedly, but it's so blatantly just setting up stuff that happens later down the line... it's a lot like Convergence, in a way.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I officially throw in the towel on Hickman's Fantastic Four. I dunno if it's just my lack of familiarity with the characters or what, but I just cannot stand this series or (most of) these characters. Reed's constant furious masturbating to his own intelligence is a big part of the problem, admittedly, but it's so blatantly just setting up stuff that happens later down the line... it's a lot like Convergence, in a way.

If you don't apreciate the "long con" of Hickman's writing don't read his Avengers stuff, since it's the same as his FF stuff only ecen longer since it will culminate in Secret Wars

MG310

My sketchbook commissions that I got. First up is Paolo's (http://paolorivera.blogspot.com/). Thanks to whoever gave me the heads up to contact him because I don't think he was taking any more at the convention. I went to him as soon as the con opened, introduced myself and we chatted for a bit. Really cool and chill guy. He told me that he can definitely fit me in his schedule today but probably won't be able to finish it up until the end of the con, which I was totally okay with. I spent most of the first day browsing samples and prices for other artists that I was interested in getting. Needless to say, when I went back to pick up my book, the piece was stunning.

Nice! I saw him post Batman on instagram and I was wondering if it was yours.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
So I am about to start Daredevil tonight/tomorrow on Netflix. Gonna rush through my copies of The man without fear and born again by miller tonight real quick. Always love a chance to dust those out. Anyone wanna join me?

If you don't apreciate the "long con" of Hickman's writing don't read his Avengers stuff, since it's the same as his FF stuff only ecen longer since it will culminate in Secret Wars

His Avengers didn't get good until after Infinity.

New Avengers, on the other hand, was great right off the bat.

It's not that I mind long setups, but there really isn't much else going on, and the setup is minimally interesting.

Sandfox

I still can't freaking believe that Bendis' shitty pairing got an entire book dedicated to themselves.

Humphries pushes the relationship way harder than Bendis does and he's the one writing this book as a replacement for his ongoing. He's also the main writer for Black Vortex which is why the relationship is getting suck a big focus during the event lol.

frye

Now, the sleeper hit of the con. Brian Soriano (https://www.facebook.com/wrathcomics) was on the corner of a row with no one in front of his booth; he was too focused drawing a commission. So I look through his profile and his pencils are fuckin amazing. I'm kind of looking around and glanced over at his commissions' list and there was only one person on there. How the heck can one guy with such talent be looked over? I talked with him a bit and praised his work and he's the most humble dude ever. I asked how much was he charging for a commission and he says $25 for a bust. Sounds like a deal to me. But what I received in return was nothing short of spectacular (and way more than a bust):

This guys cool

That's just what he wants you to think.

Hickman is truth.

Well... I mean, there's a solid 3-4 different metaplots spinning up (war between cities, time traveling future kids, timelines converging which I assume to be Secret Wars, celestials prepping an invasion of all reality which might be same?), but none of them really result in much character interaction, or character action in general, really. It somehow manages to feel procedural despite being entirely serialized.

And by "else," I meant interesting stuff that's being contained to a few issues at a time.

Mudcrab

Well... I mean, there's a solid 3-4 different metaplots spinning up (war between cities, time traveling future kids, timelines converging which I assume to be Secret Wars, celestials prepping an invasion of all reality which might be same?), but none of them really result in much character interaction, or character action in general, really. It somehow manages to feel procedural despite being entirely serialized.

And by "else," I meant interesting stuff that's being contained to a few issues at a time.

I would suggest sticking with it. Most of what happens in the FF run is contained to it, there isn't much outside of the odd reference that actually connects to what is happening now, so don't think you're reading a setup for an event that was barely a concept at the time. As for the rest, the character interaction is what made the run for me. It's definitely what made the wait for it to come all together in the end more enjoyable.

Edit: Speaking of Reed being frustrating. I love this stuff:

Of course it takes less than a week to to see Sue was right...

I think Uncanny and All New are legit ass books. the books play well to Bendis's writings trengths. I haven't read up to the crossover with GotG but at least up to that point they're really good comics. I think bringing the O5 into this time line As a way for characters to face what they are and what they will be turned out really well and interesting.

Zombine

Banned
I can't imagine the goosebumps you're feeling.

Dude. I need Rafa like now. His wit with mine could make this kind of special. This is a team effort. A "writers room" kind of story. The pilot is strong, I have an idea for an ending, and some bits toward the middle, but it could legimately could go anywhere.

Bii

Bii, your pic with Franny is so adorable. It makes me excited for NYCC when all the ComicGAF members who said they would show won't.

It's always fun to meet the people behind the usernames. Luckily my significant other isn't weirded out by it. "Umm, I'm meeting someone from a video game forum where we talk about comics in a thread, y'know, just to say hi". I have someone who I became friends with back when EGM magazine had their forums on Gamers.com. He's been rooming with me off and on whenever we go to SDCC since he's from New Orleans.

Nice post Bii, sounds like you had a good time!

It was definitely fun. I already plan on attending next year's event...maybe even Silicon Valley Comic Con in March 2016 since that was just announced. I'll wait for the vendor/guest list before I decide to go to that one.

Those are some dope pickups, Bii, looks like a good-ass con

I still had some cash to burn through but was tempted to pick up a few things that I've had my eye on. You're still going to SDCC in July right?

Nice! I saw him post Batman on instagram and I was wondering if it was yours.

Yep, that was mine. Though I was a bit jealous when I saw the half Matt/Daredevil piece he posted. I've been meaning to start up a Daredevil commission sketchbook but just haven't bit the bullet yet. At the rate I'm going, it'll take me 5-7 years to fill this book of Batman I have and starting another book will prolong it.

This guys cool

Do you know or have you met him? I think I'll have to contact him privately to get something done because I have an idea that I think he'd do well with.

I would suggest sticking with it. Most of what happens in the FF run is contained to it, there isn't much outside of the odd reference that actually connects to what is happening now, so don't think you're reading a setup for an event that was barely a concept at the time. As for the rest, the character interaction is what made the run for me. It's definitely what made the wait for it to come all together in the end more enjoyable.

Edit: Speaking of Reed being frustrating. I love this stuff:

See, 'cause that's the kind of stuff I hated.

Maybe I'll give it another shot, I dunno. Where does this "uncle Doom" stuff come from/start?

Someone is gonna make a thread about this..... I can feel it in my bones.

Come on man, you know that there aint no such thing as bisexuals, that's just a codeword for gays in denial.

Gods, this thing gon' explode in OT. Gon' be glorious.

For the love of everything pure, dont make a damn thread. If i have to read another "this is why i dont read comics" i just may risk it

Basically what Parallax said. I can't handle another thread with non-comic reading SJWs coming in and blowing shit out of proportion and then leaving. The Batgirl Joker Month Variant thread almost killed any goodwill within my body.

Maybe I'll give it another shot, I dunno. Where does this "uncle Doom" stuff come from/start?

Not everything is for everyone. I love Morrison but I know his stuff isn't for everyone. I have no desire to read anything from Hickman to be honest, and the only reason I'm even halfway interested in ever starting Manhattan Projects is because of Tim's love of it.

Mudcrab

Probably another 10 issues after what I linked. Tyrant is right, but I would give it a little longer. You know just to be sure.

Top Bottom