• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

Went to Big Wow Comicfest 2015 in San Jose, CA this past weekend. It's probably my favorite convention yet due to its size (just right), the number of artists doing commissions (plenty) and everyone's so damn nice.

My sketchbook commissions that I got. First up is Paolo's (http://paolorivera.blogspot.com/). Thanks to whoever gave me the heads up to contact him because I don't think he was taking any more at the convention. I went to him as soon as the con opened, introduced myself and we chatted for a bit. Really cool and chill guy. He told me that he can definitely fit me in his schedule today but probably won't be able to finish it up until the end of the con, which I was totally okay with. I spent most of the first day browsing samples and prices for other artists that I was interested in getting. Needless to say, when I went back to pick up my book, the piece was stunning.

With an hour left of the first day, I dropped off my book to Leann Hill (http://www.leannhill.com/). She's known more for her Game of Thrones depiction of characters but wanted to see what she could do with Batman. She didn't get to finish it before the day was over but I went back on the second day and here it is:

Just around the corner, I spotted Derek Fridolfs' booth (http://dfridolfs.deviantart.com/). He was at my local comic shop last year for Free Comic Book Day giving out free sketches. Unfortunately, the line was extremely long and I didn't have the patience to wait. He told me that he's doing it again this year but I figured I'd get him now instead of taking a chacne then. Here's a little piece from L'il Gotham:

Now, the sleeper hit of the con. Brian Soriano (https://www.facebook.com/wrathcomics) was on the corner of a row with no one in front of his booth; he was too focused drawing a commission. So I look through his profile and his pencils are fuckin amazing. I'm kind of looking around and glanced over at his commissions' list and there was only one person on there. How the heck can one guy with such talent be looked over? I talked with him a bit and praised his work and he's the most humble dude ever. I asked how much was he charging for a commission and he says $25 for a bust. Sounds like a deal to me. But what I received in return was nothing short of spectacular (and way more than a bust):

I also included his piece he did of Dr. Strange/Shuma Gorath. I really wanted to buy the original from him (it was only $90) but didn't want to think of the additional costs I would need to get it custom framed. Though I am having second doubts of passing it over. Anyway, check his work out. If you see him, definitely get him to draw you something. He's on the quiet side but his art speaks volumes.

Lastly, I got a piece from Sanya Anwar (http://www.artbysanya.com/). She didn't have much samples in the way of male characters but I really liked her inked and colored works. I was pressed for time but still wanted something from her so I requested a basic pencilled piece. I wouldn't say I was disappointed with how it came out but I think she could have definitely do a better job. I actually asked her to do the piece just before she was going to a panel she was on, which may not have been the best time. Once she came back from her panel, she had a line of customers trying to buy her comics and prints. She didn't have a helper and so she had to pause while drawing to attend to the people throwing money at her. The con ended at 5:00pm but she didn't finish until 5:10pm/5:15pm. She was extremely nice and she had this sincere look to her as if she knew I wasn't extremely satisfied, which is not too far from the truth. But you know what? It's a piece I commissioned for and there will be some hits and misses, and I'm okay with that.

And commissions I couldn't get due to time constraints, $$, whathaveyou:
Nick Bradshaw and Adi Granov. Maybe I'll get these guys next time.

And on the topic of conventions, Greg Capullo and Skottie Young are attending SDCC this year. Hopefully they're there on a Thursday or Sunday.
Awesomness man,, I love the idea of adding to a sketch book like that.
I plan on getting my first commission(s) this weekend.
Looking forward to Robbi Rodriguez and more

Convergence: Superman #1 was fantastic. I'm really loving these little touches the writers have been putting into the stories about what life would be like, living trapped and cut off in these domes.

Bloodember

Ok, I just read Batgirl: Endgame. What the hell was that? $2.99 for something that takes maybe 5 minutes to go through, she didn't even say a word, well maybe a grunt.

Got a couple books in the mail for C2E2
rbyQ7BG.jpg

Can't wait to meet Robbi Rodriguez, I plan on having him do a Spider-Gwen sketch cover, and hopefully get another commission.

... and my holy grail...

Man its in great condition, I'm going to get it sign by Snyder and CGC graded / witnessed

Also really looking forward to meetin Rick Remender, get Fear Agent signed (already PAID $5 for Tony Moores sig lol)

Zombine

Banned
Ok, I just read Batgirl: Endgame. What the hell was that? $2.99 for something that takes maybe 5 minutes to go through, she didn't even say a word, well maybe a grunt.

It was actually a printing error. Something similar happened in Hawkeye where there was an issue where you couldn't make out what was in the word bubbles. Also, they forget to color Walking Dead every month as well.

I hate it when comics cut corners.

Basically what Parallax said. I can't handle another thread with non-comic reading SJWs coming in and blowing shit out of proportion and then leaving. The Batgirl Joker Month Variant thread almost killed any goodwill within my body.

I dunno, I'd imagine that this would play out differently for the Tumblr liberals. Those types probably saw the Batgirl cover as unambiguously bad, while this would probably be a lot more controversial even within that group

I knew I was wise to hold off buying the pre Alan Moore run of Saga of the Swamp Thing!

It's a part of this week's Convergence week 3 sale, it's just got me hyped for the Len Wein issue tomorrow!

Oh, wow, I didn't know that was Comixology. $19 for that whole run. Shame that I don't make much use of Comixology, though.

Unless you don't have cable and we're waiting for it to hit Netflix.

That's pretty much my situation.

It was actually a printing error. Something similar happened in Hawkeye where there was an issue where you couldn't make out what was in the word bubbles. Also, they forget to color Walking Dead every month as well.

I hate it when comics cut corners.

The difference is that books like Batman and Robin Requiem, or the silent Hawkeye issue were silent for a reason. Batgirl Endgame had literally no story reason for the silence and in fact many times hint at dialogue with emoticons or some shit.

tim1138

Might wanna avoid the Internet, and people in general, if that's the case.

Then you might want to avoid comic news sites too, and even IGN. I saw it mentioned quite a few places before I even saw the episode.

I personally don't give a damn about the show, I was just pointing out you don't need to be a dick to someone who is interested but doesn't have the same opportunities to watch it as you. Not everyone has cable/Disney Channel, that doesn't mean dude doesn't give a shit about the show.

Yeah, I always thought that the Moore stuff started at issue #1 rather than #20 and there doesn't seem to be a trade of that so Comixology was ideal!

The deal with Saga of the Swamp Thing was that it was launched to ride off of the back of Wes Craven's Swamp Thing, but got low sales. The writer left, so they got Alan Moore on board and let him work his magic.

tim1138

Random Multiversity observations after reading through it all again. The Transmatter cubes are Nix Uotan's Rubik's Cube, this is made pretty obvious in the Guidebook and Ultra Comics issues. In the opening pages of Ultra Comics, Ultra has the same red and blue eyes of the Ultraman/Superman controlled Thought Robot from the Superman Beyond issues of Final Crisis. When Hitler meets baby Overman for the first time, his baby talk can pretty easily be interpreted as saying "Weeja Dell". Weeja Dell was a Monitor and Nix's love interest in Final Crisis.
So Multiversity, a real story of a real Multiversal threat, or simply the fever dreams of a depressed kid who had his heart broken?

Random Multiversity observations after reading through it all again. The Transmatter cubes are Nix Uotan's Rubik's Cube, this is made pretty obvious in the Guidebook and Ultra Comics issues. In the opening pages of Ultra Comics, Ultra has the same red and blue eyes of the Ultraman/Superman controlled Thought Robot from the Superman Beyond issues of Final Crisis. When Hitler meets baby Overman for the first time, his baby talk can pretty easily be interpreted as saying "Weeja Dell". Weeja Dell was a Monitor and Nix's love interest in Final Crisis.
So Multiversity, a real story of a real Multiversal threat, or simply the fever dreams of a depressed kid who had his heart broken?

blank-stare-gif.gif

I liek it when teh gud guys and bid gais fite.

I personally don't give a damn about the show, I was just pointing out you don't need to be a dick to someone who is interested but doesn't have the same opportunities to watch it as you. Not everyone has cable/Disney Channel, that doesn't mean dude doesn't give a shit about the show.

You sure make a lot of assumptions.

My personal hangups with Multiversity, now that I've had a chance to dwell on it more, is mostly two things.

1) I don't believe in the perfect standalone issue. Yeah, issues can be great by their own, but comics are a medium that build on what comes before so a bunch of #1s don't really do anything for me. A glimpse into a world I'll likely never see again.

2) I'm not a fan of acknowledging that the characters exist in a comic world. It was mildly cute with Superboy Prime but I'm looking to get lost in a comic world not lost in a comic inside of a comic world. Yes, the rules of the comic world require a measure of disbelief for some aspects but when you try to create rules and enemies based on the idea of the evil publishing overlord or whatever bullshit the Gentry are supposed to represent I just sort of check out.

Bii, your pic with Franny is so adorable. It makes me excited for NYCC when all the ComicGAF members who said they would show won't.

When are tickets supposed to go on sale this year? I really hope I can manage to not sit in the cue for hours and hours and still only end up being able to get a thursday only ticket because everything else is sold out.

Zombine

Banned
When are tickets supposed to go on sale this year? I really hope I can manage to not sit in the cue for hours and hours and still only end up being able to get a thursday only ticket because everything else is sold out.

Lol I was press and never even got notified! This year it's also the last event before Star Wars...

We're already dead, Ect.

zennyzz

How is Bendis' DareDevil run?

I just got through reading his Moon Knight (as well as the current Moon Knight run) and I really liked the kind modern noir style he had in that. And seein as Daredevil's got a similar feel I wanna know if it encompasses that same kinda 'magic' if you will.

Cade

Are we fighting in here again cause I forgot to wash my fightin clothes from last time

Guys I saw a post in an off-topic comics thread that said Miller's TDKR art is terrible :(

tim1138

I just got through reading his Moon Knight (as well as the current Moon Knight run) and I really liked the kind modern noir style he had in that. And seein as Daredevil's got a similar feel I wanna know if it encompasses that same kinda 'magic' if you will.

His Daredevil run is fantastic.

Some of his best work.

Zombine

Banned
Guys I saw a post in an off-topic comics thread that said Miller's TDKR art is terrible :(

Ugh the worst part is that Art is subjective. Even if a million people told him he's wrong he's still entitled to that opinion :/

If it was like a committee thing though where everyone has to be on the same page, he'd be voted off the team.

It is excellent. I just read it and I loved it. I think Waid's run just edges it out for me, but it's some of Bendis's finest work.

And unrelated to this post, be nice guys.

Would it be worth my time pre-ordering the Multiversity hardcover or would I hate it.
I don't think you would really like it honestly. It's great, but I know something like Pax Americana is not going to be something you'll enjoy.
Exactly, if you like his Moon Knight you'll love Daredevil, it's phenomenal. Alex Maleev's art is ridiculous in that run too, the whole thing is just great.

Yeah it's perfect for the urban and gritty kind of world that Bendis created for Matt. Maleev makes all of the rogues and enemies look sinister and scary in their own ways. Plus his use of deep shadows and Hollingsworth's colors really make for some powerful emotional scenes where Matt's just talking with friends and loved ones.

The covers were really great too. My favorite was #50 where Matt's sitting down in his costume (sans mask) with cuts on his face and costume. So good.

Top Bottom