• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

Sandfox

like ive said, it happens to everyone in comics that has relationships. its not a good excuse

It really depends because every character has their own reason why their relationships don't work out and Iceman's reason being that he was trying to hide his homosexuality could simply be his.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
It really depends because every character has their own reason why their relationships don't work out and Iceman's reason being that he was trying to hide his homosexuality could simply be his.

but that could be everyones.

but that could be everyones.

I think I understand your point. Basically, it's such a common occurrence that it just isn't strong or unique enough to apply. At the same time, it's a perfectly valid reason, which means this opens the door for any and all pre-existing characters to be gay. Thus making Bobby's case not a very unique one.

Am I close?

Basically it works but it doesn't.

Parallax

I think I understand your point. Basically, it's such a common occurrence that it just isn't strong or unique enough to apply. At the same time, it's a perfectly valid reason, which means this opens the door for any and all pre-existing characters to be gay.

Am I close?

yes. its not that hes gay, but to say that hes had failed relationships, therefore hes always been closeted is shortsighted as hell. especially seeing as how there are many, many characters with much more relationship failure that have never been even thought of to be gay

yes. its not that hes gay, but to say that hes had failed relationships, therefore hes always been closeted is shortsighted as hell. especially seeing as how there are many, many characters with much more relationship failure that have never been even thought of to be gay

I agree. It's not the best reasoning, but let's be fair, this is only one issue in what I'm sure will be a longer character arc than one issue. It might not be the actual reasoning, just another bullet point on the list.

Sandfox

I just look at it as an individual case where his relationships failed because of him being closeted, but says nothing about other characters. Other characters with relationship issues could be in the same boat, or completely different issues just like in real life. I don't really think this will lead into any questioning of other characters.

Parallax

I agree. It's not the best reasoning, but let's be fair, this is only one issue in what I'm sure will be a longer character arc than one issue. It might not be the actual reasoning, just another bullet point on the list.

I just look at it as an individual case where his relationships failed because of him being closeted, but says nothing about other characters. Other characters with relationship issues could be in the same boat, or completely different issues just like in real life. I don't really think this will lead into any questioning of other characters.

the issue for me, is why is bobby special in this regard? beast was speculated to be gay, even going far as to say as much even as a joke, but no such idea has been stuck to him despite it. ive been hearing people say that theyve always had an idea he was closeted. but based on what were these claims made? i think my issue is that every is all " of course! i always thought he was gay!" and im sitting here wondering "when, where, why, and how?"

Squire

Banned
Old CBR solicit pages.

Thanks, Freeza 👌

the issue for me, is why is bobby special in this regard? beast was speculated to be gay, even going far as to say as much even as a joke, but no such idea has been stuck to him despite it. ive been hearing people say that theyve always had an idea he was closeted. but based on what were these claims made? i think my issue is that every is all " of course! i always thought he was gay!" and im sitting here wondering "when, where, why, and how?"

That issue where
he couldn't believe older Bobby liked Kitty had me thinking, "Oh, how cute. Young Bobby hasn't made it out of the cooties stage and/or is somewhat threatened by confident women". Certainly not, "Definitely closeted."

Sandfox

Fans have been casually discussing Iceman's sexuality for a long time and Marvel decided to go with it. I think that's why the failed relationship aspect is being pushed as well.

And I completely agree. I think claims were more because he's so overtly straight, and the classic "people who are super straight are secretly hiding that they're gay" thought process permeated to that. Not saying that's necessarily the case, but it might be here. And like I said, I'm optimistic that the arc as a whole will be handled well. But, hey, that's my optimism.

Boogiepop

Oh yeah, watched the first episode of Daredevil and the first two parter of old school 60s Batman with a friend today. Good stuff. Not 100% sold on Daredevil yet but it was good enough, interesting that it focused so much more on Matt rather than the Daredevil aspect. And very low on exposition. Like, if someone had no idea about the character and couldn't tie things together very well, there's technically nothing in the episode that actually comes out and says Matt is Daredevil. Oh, and not really feeling the Foggy portrayal right now. What's the general line for getting into Daredevil stuff, BTW? I realize now that I've only ever read the (first half of) the Waid run for the character.

And Batman is great, cheesy fun. I was worried it may not click with me but it was super enjoyable. Probably best to not take it in large doses though, as to preserve the novelty.

Squire

Banned
And I completely agree. I think claims were more because he's so overtly straight, and the classic "people who are super straight are secretly hiding that they're gay" thought process permeated to that. Not saying that's necessarily the case, but it might be here. And like I said, I'm optimistic that the arc as a whole will be handled well. But, hey, that's my optimism.

That's some kinda optimism, given the way this arc has started. Bendis has made an excellent case that he is absolutely not the right choice of writer for whatever story that follows up on this.

Owzers

watching the rockets beat the mas is depressing.

Also, Peter Parker is probably gay, he did make a deal with the devil and gave up Mary Jane. It all makes sense now.

That's some kinda optimism, given the way this arc has started. Bendis has made an excellent case that he is absolutely not the right choice of writer for whatever story that follows up on this.

Like I said, it'll probably be a longer arc. See how it plays out, and then make the final call. If it plays out poorly, then it goes on the list of "could be cool but was fumbled." If it plays out well, then my optimism will have paid off.
Oh yeah, watched the first episode of Daredevil and the first two parter of old school 60s Batman with a friend today. Good stuff. Not 100% sold on Daredevil yet but it was good enough, interesting that it focused so much more on Matt rather than the Daredevil aspect. And very low on exposition. Like, if someone had no idea about the character and couldn't tie things together very well, there's technically nothing in the episode that actually comes out and says Matt is Daredevil. Oh, and not really feeling the Foggy portrayal right now. What's the general line for getting into Daredevil stuff, BTW? I realize now that I've only ever read the (first half of) the Waid run for the character.

And Batman is great, cheesy fun. I was worried it may not click with me but it was super enjoyable. Probably best to not take it in large doses though, as to preserve the novelty.

The Adam West Batman film is a masterpiece
tumblr_mu61o7pc641s2wio8o7_400.gif

I just did Bendis then Waid, but you can kinda start anywhere for DD.

Daredevil's love interests have all been killed or driven insane, but his best friend remains fine(-ish). What if he deliberately has them killed because... he's gay?!?! Must investigate further

How come no one is talking about how horrible Jean Gray is for constantly invading everyone's privacy at her leisure?

Bendis = terrible at psychic's
I'd consider that an intentionally written flaw based on what I've seen, but I have no idea since I haven't read the run. It makes sense though. She's a young teenager who can read minds.

MattyG

Banned
Kanan: The Last Padawan #1 was fantastic. Even though I knew how it would end, it still caught me off guard, and I didn't want it to end that way because
everyone in that scene leading up to it seemed so close. What a brilliant way to present Order 66.

I'm also enjoying Princess Leia a lot more than I thought I would. I was iffy on the art style at first, but it's really grown on me, and the story is excellent. It's really cool to see Disney (and Marvel, obviously) putting a lot more strong women in the Star Wars universe.

I'd consider that an intentionally written flaw based on what I've seen, but I have no idea since I haven't read the run. It makes sense though. She's a young teenager who can read minds.

Precisely. She's a young teenager that always reads "WHAT A BITCH" in everybody's mind when she keeps doing it and they find out. One would assume she'd have gotten the memo.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
i'd be down for a 6 episode season 1.5 focusing on Stick in the meantime.

Both the characters and readers complain about that all the time.
I hope Uncanny X-Men 600 is just a giant intervention issue of how it is not alright to read minds without permission and tell people what their sexuality is.

Saw that one of the What If Age of Ultron ishs had one where Pym was the only human survivor. Thought it seemed like a decent premise.

Boy, AoU really turned everything it touched into dung.

Squire

Banned

I'm only 20 issues in, but Kitty calls Jean on that shit every time she does it. Other characters, too. The story very much acknowledges its a categorically Bad™ thing to do. So in all fairness, yes, it's clear that's just a part of how Bendis is writing her.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I stopped all new at black vortex to catch up guardians up to black vortex and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but yeah young Jean is awful

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Are you guys talking about the movie or the comic.
Please be the comic.

What movie would we be talking about, we specifically said the name of the comic :p

Edit: wait you mean AoU not x-men, my bad. And yes its the comic which has nothing to do with the movie

Top Bottom