• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

"This is a character with decades of history and one who've seen falter on the romantic stage-more than once. So the seeds were always there." Fuxk off Alonso.

If the logic that a failed history of relationships in the Marvel U means there is a good chance the character is gender queer then pretty much everyone except Mr. Fantastic and Invisible Woman are just waiting to come out.

zennyzz

I got no idea why he went with that and not all the subtext panels with Bobby's sexuality. That purple pants one especially.

Squire

Banned
I got no idea why he went with that and not all the subtext panels with Bobby's sexuality. That purple pants one especially.

I'm guess that bit about being a Disney princess during the GOTG crossover is one of these?

Decent cross-over, btw. I only have two parts left.

What's a good GOTG run, guys? (Please don't say Bendis. I'm taking a break from Bendis after X-Men.)

I thought Reed was somewhat contested by Beast and Stark?

No Reed is leagues above Tony and Beast in Pure intelligence. An argument could be made that Tony is more inventive though. But Hank Pym is Earth's Scientist Supreme. Simply because he takes science to to boundaries of magic.

I love how Marvel's smartest human is Mr. Fantastic

and DC's smartest human is Mr. Terrific

just kind of coincidental

Actually I think Mister Terrific is officially DC's third Smartest man.

I thought Reed was somewhat contested by Beast and Stark?
Not really. He's still top dawg.
No Reed is leagues above Tony and Beast in Pure intelligence. An argument could be made that Tony is more inventive though. But Hank Pym is Earth's Scientist Supreme. Simply because he takes science to to boundaries of magic.
Whaaaaaaaat? Noooooooooo
2689162-scan1.png

Actually I think Mister Terrific is officially DC's third Smartest man.
Isn't Ivo or T.O. Morrow the smartest? Luthor is up there, too, I believe.

Randy42

Haven't watched in a while. don't mind spoilers, but do we have any idea of what the point of AoS is, other than to prop up the movies?

Along with introducing inhumans, it keeps the universe moving between the movies. I think that is/was the primary goal. Like setting up whatever version of SHIELD we'll actually see in ultron between winter soldier and avengers 2 - of course I could be completely wrong, for all we know Avengers 2 could just have fury / hill and a bunch of other people not in the show at all.

That being said I still like the show, tho this second half-season post break has not been as good as the first half of it / the post-winter soldier stuff from season 1.

Along with introducing inhumans, it keeps the universe moving between the movies. I think that is/was the primary goal. Like setting up whatever version of SHIELD we'll actually see in ultron between winter soldier and avengers 2 - of course I could be completely wrong, for all we know Avengers 2 could just have fury / hill and a bunch of other people not in the show at all.

That being said I still like the show, tho this second half-season post break has not been as good as the first half of it / the post-winter soldier stuff from season 1.

Eh, fair enough. I feel like Daredevil, so far, seems pretty cool because most of the payoff comes in Daredevil the show...even if they eventually migrate to the movies. For Agents of Shield you get characters, situations and things which have some payoff but the big stuff like Inhumans...well they've got a (post Infinity War?) movie for that :p That said considering how AoS was pre-TWS stuff I'm not sure if it's a good thing that I'd like it to live/operate more independently again

Agents of Shield is a show about some of the least cool parts of the Marvel Universe (non hero characters) perpetually hamstrung into dealing with the F-tier villains that haven't been reserved for a potential future movie. It'll always be reactive to the MCU and the will rarely if ever surprise or wow you.

Stuff like Daredevil is going to be more successful because all they have to do is throw some lip service to "The New York incident", name drop the next movie and then go on to its storyline. Also it's shows with heroes and not boring ass Shield agents that no one gives a fuuuuuck about.

Randy42

Eh, fair enough. I feel like Daredevil, so far, seems pretty cool because most of the payoff comes in Daredevil the show...even if they eventually migrate to the movies. For Agents of Shield you get characters, situations and things which have some payoff but the big stuff like Inhumans...well they've got a (post Infinity War?) movie for that :p That said considering how AoS was pre-TWS stuff I'm not sure if it's a good thing that I'd like it to live/operate more independently again

Pre Winter-Soldier was definitely a rough patch. I think of the 15 eps at least 4 are just completely skippable (made a list for my friend awhile back tho I'd have to go redo it). The writers have come out and said they were legit having to find ways to kill time till winter soldier hit for a few eps, hopefully nothing like that will ever happen again. Right now I still think its better than it was then just, as I mentioned, not as good as it was for like the 19~ total eps before it or so pre-break.

And yeah I think the netflix stuff is likely gonna stay contained to other netflix series at least for now with maybe an occasional cameo elsewhere.

tim1138

Agents of Shield is a show about some of the least cool parts of the Marvel Universe (non hero characters) perpetually hamstrung into dealing with the F-tier villains that haven't been reserved for a potential future movie. It'll always be reactive to the MCU and the will rarely if ever surprise or wow you.

Stuff like Daredevil is going to be more successful because all they have to do is throw some lip service to "The New York incident", name drop the next movie and then go on to its storyline. Also it's shows with heroes and not boring ass Shield agents that no one gives a fuuuuuck about.

But how do you really feel about Agents of SHIELD? :D

But how do you really feel about Agents of SHIELD? :D

I think I'm pretty close to a breakthrough here. Just gotta push past this psychological wall.

Do you think the people working on the show went home and watched Daredevil and then just felt ashamed? Then wrote on their Live Journal: "Dear Diary, why won't they just love Skye as much as I do?"

tim1138

I think I'm pretty close to a breakthrough here. Just gotta push past this psychological wall.

Do you think the people working on the show went home and watched Daredevil and then just felt ashamed? Then wrote on their Live Journal: "Dear Diary, why won't they just love Skye as much as I do?"

I dunno what's funnier to me in that scenario, show runners posting on Live Journal or Live Journal still being a thing that people use.

Zombine

Banned

I thought people liked her the most on the show?

Fans have been casually discussing Iceman's sexuality for a long time and Marvel decided to go with it. I think that's why the failed relationship aspect is being pushed as well.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but fans have been discussing various character's sexuality at varying levels of casualness since before the internet was a thing. Kirk/Spock stuff was getting distributed in the 80s. "Fans speculation" is an intensely poor reason to redefine a character like this.

Especially when it's as uniquely poorly handled as it was done here.

"Full gay," oy vey.
Hey

Any of you guys ever write any comics? Ever want to/try to?

Tried to a few times. Never really got off the ground on account of having the artistic talent of a twice-baked sweet potato, which is to say, none. Can't draw for shit, and don't really know anybody who'd be interested in collaborating.

Got a lot of ideas, tho. And I'm decent at dialogue.

Randy42

As far as I'm concerned the whole iceman thing will hopefully not have any lasting relevance. It shouldn't. Bendis has been making shit up and writing his own canon in just about every book he's done and most of it gets swept under the rug. I'm not saying he's a bad writer, far from it I enjoy (most) of his books - but for example look at moon knight. His entire run just made up a bunch of stuff about the char that since has gone back to basically not having happened. Hopefully this will just blow over too because lets face it the entire thing is fucking nonsense.

Tizoc

Oh shi, gonna call my friend in an hour and ask him if he wants to join me in watching Avengers next wednesday. I cleared my CC already just in preparation for this movie >=3

With the recent news of the Valiant film/tv deal, I've realized... I've never read a single Valiant comic and know jack about them.

What's a good place to start with Valiant? I was looking at Harbinger, but I've heard X-O Manowar is pretty fantastic. After following Marvel and DC for a couple of years, I've grown weary of keeping up with ongoing series, so my preference is trades and runs that have been completed; I'll pick up a currently running series if need be, though.

With the recent news of the Valiant film/tv deal, I've realized... I've never read a single Valiant comic and know jack about them.

What's a good place to start with Valiant? I was looking at Harbinger, but I've heard X-O Manowar is pretty fantastic. After following Marvel and DC for a couple of years, I've grown weary of keeping up with ongoing series, so my preference is trades and runs that have been completed; I'll pick up a currently running series if need be, though.
Archer & Armstrong is my favorite book. So so funny
Also read harbinger and x-0 manowar

With those three you're good. If you love those then look into the valiant And unity team books. Which are decent but not as strong as the other books I mention

Archer & Armstrong is my favorite book. So so funny
Also read harbinger and x-0 manowar

With those three you're good. If you love those then look into the valiant And unity team books. Which are decent but not as strong as the other books I mention

Start with the 2012 reboot I'm guessing? I'm looking and it seems like they're just now releasing the early stuff in trade again.

I'm guess that bit about being a Disney princess during the GOTG crossover is one of these?

Decent cross-over, btw. I only have two parts left.

What's a good GOTG run, guys? (Please don't say Bendis. I'm taking a break from Bendis after X-Men.)
Guardians of the Galaxy by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning is good. It's the run that the movie is loosely based off.

I've fallen behind but Guardians 3000 was good too.

Top Bottom