• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

Mudcrab

Can we watch the potential spoilers for events that haven't started yet? I have been avoiding all X-Men stuff to try and read it in the books/secret wars and the last day or so have been a nightmare on here.

Spoilers have been so random recently

Those in particular have been seen on officially released covers for months now. Almost half a year actually.

Mudcrab

Yeah, fair enough. But just incase there was any hope I had missed the other spoiler it was just posted again.

Yeah sorry about that, I fucked up earlier myself. Doesn't look like that one's going back in the bottle.

Edit: Sad Bendis.

6c53865e9c9588bc27c6c15f1d368135.png

Sothpaw

So what, he was just confused when he was younger? What a mess...

I thought that too then I was like you know what, Marvel just being Marvel. I mean think about it, this is a world that is supposed to "look like what we see outside our windows" or whatever nonsense they spew at the same time as:

- most technologically advanced country in the world is in central Africa
- Nazis still huge threat and no mention (that I have seen yet I am still rather new to comics) of religious extremism
- almost no Asian male superheros

Yea guys looks just like the real world!

zennyzz

I think I'm gonna be sick. What they've done so insensitive and ham-fisted and Alonso is acting like they're taking a bold step and handling it with care? UGH.

And I love this comic, too.

I figure it's more a situation of Bendis' poor dialogue and the scene in question beng blown up by the internet via leaks. After all the scene wasn't the chosen preview pics and the concept itself isn't without merit, just Bendis' X-men is a lot more "cool idea, not so cool execution."

Squire

Banned
I've a feeling they might make it where he's an alternate reality Bobby

Alonso makes it pretty clear this is going to affect E616 Bobby, I think.

I figure it's more a situation of Bendis' poor dialogue and the scene in question beng blown up by the internet via leaks. After all the scene wasn't the chosen preview pics and the concept itself isn't without merit, just Bendis' X-men is a lot more "cool idea, not so cool execution."

Oh, that's absolutely it. The story that comes from this could be very good. But how Bendis went about this? I'm not sure it could be any worse. These pages are Horrible.

zennyzz

Alonso makes it pretty clear this is going to affect E616 Bobby, I think.

Oh, that's absolutely it. The story that comes from this could be very good. But how Bendis went about this? I'm not sure it could be any worse. These pages are Horrible.

I can think of 10 in 5 seconds. It's incredibly hamfisted and awkward, but there are far worse ways to out a character's sexuality.

Just wait until they let Bendis have a crack at Star Wars
Disney will never let Bendis have a crack at Star Wars

I was wondering when you'd see that, it's even the classic costume! I was too busy geeking out over the new JLU creative team and forgot to post it.
I laugh every time I see Gal Gardner, so dumb and so funny.

It's the haircut. The fact that it's the same dumb bowl cut.

Sothpaw

Just wait until they let Bendis have a crack at Star Wars
Disney will never let Bendis have a crack at Star Wars

Oh yea just wait until Jason Aaron turns Luke into a woman!

why do you say that? He didn't ask for leaks or any promo for this particular part of the story. He's not talking about the actual reception the comic would get which is not even out yet

He has been around for so long he has to know that changing the sexuality of a decades old character would cause a stir this day and age.

why do you say that? He didn't ask for leaks or any promo for this particular part of the story. He's not talking about the actual reception the comic would get which is not even out yet

Because he knew it would leak, as comics always leak. And he knew it would blow up. And he knew the press would follow, along with the headlines.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Oh shit Daredevil was renewed and nobody said anything

ElNarez

Banned
Nope. No confusion. He's "full gay."

And so is Future Bobby, if you follow Jean's reasoning, e.g. the "not well" bit.

I mean, I dunno, I thought I was full-on 100% straight for 22 years, it's not that unreasonable to think Teen Bobby would get it wrong and think he's completely absolutely thoroughly gay.

Or maybe he really is at that point in time. Sexuality's a weird confusing fluid thing like that.

There's multiple levels of fucked up in this mess, but mostly I'm bummed about the bi erasure. Then again it could totally come back, we still don't have Adult Bobby's point of view on the whole thing.

It's just a whole big confusing fucked up thing that should not have been let hanging for the sake of selling the next issue, because it's a super sensitive topic and if you're gonna delve in it you need to get it fucking right.

Sothpaw

I mean, I dunno, I thought I was full-on 100% straight for 22 years, it's not that unreasonable to think Teen Bobby would get it wrong and think he's completely absolutely thoroughly gay.

Or maybe he really is at that point in time. Sexuality's a weird confusing fluid thing like that.

There's multiple levels of fucked up in this mess, but mostly I'm bummed about the bi erasure. Then again it could totally come back, we still don't have Adult Bobby's point of view on the whole thing.

It's just a whole big confusing fucked up thing that should not have been let hanging for the sake of selling the next issue, because it's a super sensitive topic and if you're gonna delve in it you need to get it fucking right.

Honestly I live in San Francisco and am bros with lots of gay people and this is the first I have ever heard of this. In media or in real life. I have certainly seen people who were married divorce and enter same sex relationships, but I always figured that was because they were not comfortable coming out of the closet. Like Elton John or whatever.

zennyzz

Honestly I live in San Francisco and am bros with lots of gay people and this is the first I have ever heard of this. In media or in real life. I have certainly seen people who were married divorce and enter same sex relationships, but I always figured that was because they were not comfortable coming out of the closet. Like Elton John or whatever.

Sexuality can be fluid, and people's minds don't all work the same. Folks can be in relationships and not do so for the sole fact of keeping up a facade.

You know the adage, not black n white. Though it can be in particular instances.

Solicitations-age

Not gonna bother with Marvel or DC

Down for Island and Wolf, new BKV book seems like it will be a miniseries so that is a trade wait.

Getting that East of West HC (even though I collect the floppies), Last Days of American Crime HC and Red One HC.

Last Zero trade -_- I hope they put the whole thing in a ohc

Bloodstrike, I just don't know.

Also: Dark Knight Returns Deluxe, Snyder Swamp Thing Deluxe and Sweet Tooth Deluxe are probably a buy.

Sothpaw

Sexuality can be fluid, and people's minds don't all work the same. Folks can be in relationships and not do so for the sole fact of keeping up a facade.

You know the adage, not black n white. Though it can be in particular instances.

That I understand. But the poster made it sound like sexuality is fluid. Obviously I am no expert but if I were to hazard a guess I would err on the side of sexuality not being fluid for a great majority of people. Either way, as long as it is fluid for some then it is plausible that it could be fluid for the character in question.

frye

Because he knew it would leak, as comics always leak. And he knew it would blow up. And he knew the press would follow, along with the headlines.

Do they? This isn't the pre-digital days anymore, the number of people who actually scan physical copies is literally 1 guy on /co/ who does it for shits and giggles and the idea that "comics always leak" is basically untrue because... they don't. Go hate the dude's comics all you want but suggesting he's being disingenuous when he says he wanted the comic to stand on its own isn't a good look mate.

Sothpaw

Do they? This isn't the pre-digital days anymore, the number of people who actually scan physical copies is literally 1 guy on /co/ who does it for shits and giggles and the idea that "comics always leak" is basically untrue because... they don't. Go hate the dude's comics all you want but suggesting he's being disingenuous when he says he wanted the comic to stand on its own isn't a good look mate.

I would say not expecting changing a decade old character's sexuality to cause a stir isn't a good look. This is Marvel we are talking about; they live for controversy and pushing the envelope. But to each their own.

frye

I would say not expecting changing a decade old character's sexuality to cause a stir isn't a good look. This is Marvel we are talking about; they live for controversy and pushing the envelope. But to each their own.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Two different issues. What I've seen of it looks pretty dumb but that's different from saying that Bendis was relying on this one random internet dude so that his comic would be scanned for All The Publicity.

It's fucking marvel, they don't give a fuck how shameless they look with their promotion so why would they shy away in this case if they really wanted to get it out there?

zennyzz

That I understand. But the poster made it sound like sexuality is fluid. Obviously I am no expert but if I were to hazard a guess I would err on the side of sexuality not being fluid for a great majority of people. Either way, as long as it is fluid for some then it is plausible that it could be fluid for the character in question.

I'd err on the side of sexuality is fluid(in varying degrees) for a variety of folks, but its ultimately up to other factors to cement things

Sothpaw

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Two different issues. What I've seen of it looks pretty dumb but that's different from saying that Bendis was relying on this one random internet dude so that his comic would be scanned for All The Publicity.

It's fucking marvel, they don't give a fuck how shameless they look with their promotion so why would they shy away in this case if they really wanted to get it out there?

Why on earth would Bendis/Marvel let an issue like this come out without some "leak?" That makes no sense whatsoever and I'm pretty sure you know that man...

I'm not trying to be hostile here and I have no problem with whatever story the creators want to tell; but come on you can't really believe his BS?

Edit: OK with your edit I better understand where you're coming from.

ElNarez

Banned

It's not as exact as that, but I feel like the process of finding what one's own sexuality is is just that, a process, and that it's entirely possible to get it wrong for a large chunk of your life, because pretty much everything tells you it's supposed to work one way and not another.

What I'm saying is, based on my experience, which, admittedly, I've only been out for less than a year so, what the fuck do I know really, it's completely possible for Bobby to think he's gay and be wrong about it, which would explain the feelings he's expressed for women later in his life.

Sothpaw

It's not as exact as that, but I feel like the process of finding what one's own sexuality is is just that, a process, and that it's entirely possible to get it wrong for a large chunk of your life, because pretty much everything tells you it's supposed to work one way and not another.

What I'm saying is, based on my experience, which, admittedly, I've only been out for less than a year so, what the fuck do I know really, it's completely possible for Bobby to think he's gay and be wrong about it, which would explain the feelings he's expressed for women later in his life.

Interesting. Based on that it seems far more likely for a false positive straight than the other way around (society telling you straight is they way it's supposed to work). Which might be what happened to Bobby.

"This is a character with decades of history and one who've seen falter on the romantic stage-more than once. So the seeds were always there." Fuxk off Alonso.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
"This is a character with decades of history and one who've seen falter on the romantic stage-more than once. So the seeds were always there." Fuxk off Alonso.

like ive said, it happens to everyone in comics that has relationships. its not a good excuse

Top Bottom