• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

That Harley costume is amazing as is Ivy's. I am so down for this.

Finally capitalizing on that demo, huh?

Step in the right direction. If they were really smart they'd just shove a pile of money at Lauren Faust and have her make them an ongoing Super Best Friends show, but w/e.

Oh shit, right. Wasn't she in the Teen Titans cartoon too?

I....don't know, I never really watched it. I was fully in my "anime is for jerks" phase (because every teenage nerd needs other nerds to look down on) when it aired here and it was 3anime5me at the time.

My only experience with it is watching Teen Titans Go with my nephews. They seem to like it anyway.

PsychBat!

Banned
It's not that I don't give a shit about them, it's just that I chuckle at, and then ignore those silly picture books. While they have cute morality tales for preteens, and have a certain amount of dignity in their own small way, I prefer to read real literature written by and for grownups whose artistry actually make a difference within our culture. You know, the type of stuff that requires complex thought and isn't likely to have toys made from its characters.
welp, it's time to pack it up, comicgaf.

Messi

Tron Legacy came in the mail today.

Fire that badboy up

QuorraDance.gif

tim1138

DC finally picking up that ball they dropped when they let SBFF die. Those are pretty solid designs, nice to characters like Katana and Bumblebee get some love.

We had a good run. I'm gonna go back to my Kindle to read some of my "real literature".

*checks purchase list*

Well, fuck.

God, the "real literature" crap pisses me off so much. You know what makes a piece of classic literature different from a piece of regular literature? A total and complete lack of subtlety and a dearth of any redeeming features beyond its themes and maybe, if the reader is lucky, the prose.

welp, it's time to pack it up, comicgaf.

"I prefer to X done by and for grownups whose artistry actually make a difference within our culture. You know, the type of stuff that requires complex thought and isn't likely to Y"

Man, there are quicker ways to show that one's a tryhard teen.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
so I've been enjoying classic marvel in my Unlimited subscription.. went to the marvel app to look at some current books...

wtf... how does marvel have like 60 books out a month and 40% of them have Avengers in the name, and another 20% have X-Men in the name, and another 20% have Spider in the name....

is there like a crash course here starting from like AvX? jeebus.....

God, the "real literature" crap pisses me off so much. You know what makes a piece of classic literature different from a piece of regular literature? A total and complete lack of subtlety and a dearth of any redeeming features beyond its themes and maybe, if the reader is lucky, the prose.

I don't know man, I mostly read crap. Star Trek novels (no joke, the return of New Frontier is the thing I'm most hyped about for the rest of the year), all those "The Mammoth Book of...." short story collections, crappy non-fiction essay collections by comedians and Cracked writers, Sanderson stuff, Dresden and Dresden imitators that sort of thing.

I always get intimidated by "big" books, like the really well renowed ones. And I'm petrified of not finishing a book I start.

Busaiku

I posted this in that thread.
I read American comics, following about 20 ongoings now...
Mostly superhero comics (in fact, only 1 that's not), but I still enjoy them nonetheless.
However, the amount of series that I read is a drop in the bucket compared to the number of Japanese comics I read.

The lack of variety is my main problem with the US comic industry.
I know there aren't only superhero titles, but of course it's the majority. The few non-superhero stories are still mostly serious titles as well.
I don't know about every single comic released in a month, but to my knowledge, there are no slice of life titles, no sports titles, no cooking titles, few pure comedy titles (that aren't action titles), few romance titles, and so on.
Most everything is based around fantasy or sci-fi, some crime titles, and little else.
And to my knowledge, there are no US titles (serious or fanservice) that are strictly about things like LBGT characters, or other "touchy" themes. Maybe there'll be a few characters in larger stories, but not the sole focus.
I read a lot more series now (probably up to 50), most are still superhero, but lots of stuff from Image and others that aren't.
However, for the most part, my gripes still hold. I've since found some good series like Sunstone, Gotham Academy, Jem & The Holograms, and a couple more that scratch that itch a little. Probably some more that I'm not following (maybe Rat Queens is one), but still few overall.

But variety is still an issue. I can't think of any series starring children younger than high school that aren't aimed at children specifically and aren't licensed properties.
Besides Sunstone (and maybe Sex Criminals, which I'm not following), I can't think of anything about sexuality, and certainly nothing about gay men.
I don't know of any series having fun with concepts like gods and religion, without being serious titles.
Maybe sexual fanservice isn't your thing and you think it's wrong, but there are certainly very few titles in the US industry specifically about this (not saying there isn't a large amount of sexual fanservice, just no titles specifically for that, like To Love Ru).
And why are there still no fun cooking ongoings.

It's dumb to say stuff like "Japanese comics are better than US comics", cause you're trying to compare mediums (and the same one at that). As for maybe why you see a lot of people not willing to give US comics a chance while sticking to Japanese comics, it's cause there is sadly still a lack of variety in the US industry, influenced by stuff like culture and the state of the market, not a lack of talent.

I don't know man, I mostly read crap. Star Trek novels (no joke, the return of New Frontier is the thing I'm most hyped about for the rest of the year), all those "The Mammoth Book of...." short story collections, crappy non-fiction essay collections by comedians and Cracked writers, Sanderson stuff, Dresden and Dresden imitators that sort of thing.

I always get intimidated by "big" books, like the really well renowed ones. And I'm petrified of not finishing a book I start.

I mostly read the same sort of stuff (Dresden is the GOAT), but I read enough "high brow" stuff in my spare time to figure out that it's not as far removed from the regular dreck as some people would like you to think.

Plus, if my AP English classes taught me anything, you can get anything to be about anything. So the symbolism of it stopped carrying as much weight.

It's a fair point. The types of books you're talking about wouldn't hold an interest for me but I don't see why they couldn't exist.

This is probably dumb of me to ask, but why would I read a story about cooking when cookery shows and books that depict real, actual cooking and food exist? I can cook for real, I can't fly or lift a car with one hand. Same thing with sports. Who would the audience be, that doesn't have their needs filled by real sports or even pro wrestling?

Comedy is incredibly hard in printed media IMO, because to me comedy is 99% delivery and timing which aren't the medium's strong suits.

I'm all for diversity, but the market can barely support the books we have now in the middle of a huge mainstream superhero boom.

This is probably dumb of me to ask, but why would I read a story about cooking when cookery shows and books that depict real, actual cooking and food exist? I can cook for real, I can't fly or lift a car with one hand. Same thing with sports. Who would the audience be, that doesn't have their needs filled by real sports or even pro wrestling?

For me it's because it's faster. Very seldomly do other types of media manage a quicker pace than comics. They're very good at infodumping.

Dunbar

Regarding sports comics, Southern Bastards is a pretty easy one to recommend, although I couldn't really say it isn't "serious" because it very much is. But for a big college football fan like me, it's a great read and I'd like to see more sports comics.

For slice of life comics, I would say that among series I read, Afterlife with Archie, Gotham Academy, and Wayward all have aspects of that, even if I couldn't say they are slice of life comics exclusively.

Comedy is a tougher one but I think Unstoppable Squirrel Girl and Howard the Duck are both very funny.

And I don't know if you'd regard The Wicked and The Divine as too serious, but it is wickedly funny and it deals with religion and gods in a way that is pretty uncommon in comics I think.

Busaiku

The appeal of stuff like cooking and sports comics aren't necessarily the activity itself, but the characters in that situation.
We can observe the activities on live action sports and cooking shows, but we can never fully understand the thoughts and motivations of the person doing the thing.
And through fictional media, we can also get some ridiculousness, like literal foodgasms and killing dinosaurs with tennis (this wasn't actually in the Prince of Tennis comics, just the movie, but it still has ridiculous stuff).

Messi

Regarding sports comics, Southern Bastards is a pretty easy one to recommend, although I couldn't really say it isn't "serious" because it very much is. But for a big college football fan like me, it's a great read and I'd like to see more sports comics.

For slice of life comics, I would say that among series I read, Afterlife with Archie, Gotham Academy, and Wayward all have aspects of that, even if I couldn't say they are slice of life comics exclusively.

Comedy is a tougher one but I think Unstoppable Squirrel Girl and Howard the Duck are both very funny.

And I don't know if you'd regard The Wicked and The Divine as too serious, but it is wickedly funny and it deals with religion and gods in a way that is pretty uncommon in comics I think.

Sex Criminals is the funniest book on the stands right now.

Slice of Life? You can't go wrong with Strangers in Paradise.

so I've been enjoying classic marvel in my Unlimited subscription.. went to the marvel app to look at some current books...

wtf... how does marvel have like 60 books out a month and 40% of them have Avengers in the name, and another 20% have X-Men in the name, and another 20% have Spider in the name....

is there like a crash course here starting from like AvX? jeebus.....
After AvX, Marvel Now launched which served as a jumping on point for new readers. For the most part, you can check out pretty much any #1 from that period and beyond. If you have a MU sub, you'll be able to read pretty much all of them.

If you're looking for something good to read, check out Hawkeye by Matt Fraction or Daredevil by Mark Waid. Both are top-tier comics that balance fun and mature writing in incredibly refreshing ways and they have fantastic art teams behind them. Beyond that, just read what looks interesting to you. You kind of learn what kind of comics will interest you the more you read. When in doubt, just name some series and we could always try to help you out.

For me it's because it's faster. Very seldomly do other types of media manage a quicker pace than comics. They're very good at infodumping.

True. That's actually a big part of why I like comics in general. I can read an issue in 10 minutes and feel like the story went somewhere.

I find movies and TV difficult, mostly cause of my Asperger's. I get very fidgety having to sit down watching a movie for two hours, and I can't do binge watching at all. I watch an episode of Daredevil every 3-4 days and that's enough for me. With games I have to interact with it to make it do anything, and with books and comics I have to engage with it. The way I see it, the show's just gonna play no matter what I do.

And even when I can watch something, I have to have something in my hands to interact with. When I was watching Game of Thrones, the Lego I was building while watching it was costing me considerably more than my blu-ray rentals. I absolutely ballooned in weight because of how much junk I was eating watching TV, not because I was hungry or liked sugar and salt, but just because I needed the occupation to keep me sitting down. I've lost four inches in my waist since I started my job simply because I'm not wolfing down crap all day.

I might get a second monitor to put shows on since my friends are getting into Guild Wars 2 again and I will have to tank because no-one else will *sigh*.

The appeal of stuff like cooking and sports comics aren't necessarily the activity itself, but the characters in that situation.
We can observe the activities on live action sports and cooking shows, but we can never fully understand the thoughts and motivations of the person doing the thing.
And through fictional media, we can also get some ridiculousness, like literal foodgasms and killing dinosaurs with tennis (this wasn't actually in the Prince of Tennis comics, just the movie, but it still has ridiculous stuff).

I see. So the stories aren't realistic, at least not gritty realism? I think I get it now.

It's a fair point. The types of books you're talking about wouldn't hold an interest for me but I don't see why they couldn't exist.

A lot of times, they're just kind of vehicles for the characters and their relationships. Using a manga example, but while the food in Shokugeki no Soma looks delicious and all, the more technical dialogue about how the food is prepared completely goes over my head. It's fun to see how they get the upper hand in their "battles" and how the characters react and interact with one another.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I'm really excited for Pat Gleason's solo Robin book:

upwc7Lx.jpg

4520404-robin_son_2.jpg

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Gorgeous. Waiting for Batman & Robin to go on sale before I get caught up; I've read through... I think Death of the Family?

Apparently shit gets real around then, lol.

I would say right after that Batman & Robin finds its footing and purpose perfectly and yeah, becomes the book that a bunch of us are constantly raving about.

I'm just cautiously curious about Gleason's writing. I also secretly want Chris Burnham to team up with Gleason and do some fun Robin stuff--maybe an annual.

Tim: Yeah, nobody wants another Kubert-written Damian story on their hands. That was embarrassing.

Top Bottom