• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Yo, this fucking guy:
Omega_gang_full.jpg

Sandfox

The moment I saw that Rocket Racoon and Storm scene I realized that everything I heard about Humphries and Animal fucking was true.

I also googled Our Love is Real for the first time and I don't know what to think of it now.
To be fair, Storm's last two relationships were Black Panther and Wolverine, and Rocket is an intelligent lifeform.

Squire

Banned
Finished the whole run and I have to say it was absolutely phenomenal. It's funny and full of action. Sometimes it's gritty and gross and silly.

But, even more than that, it's also really raw, and thoughtful, and tragic, and beatiful in a way that you wouldn't get at all if you only glanced at a cover for it.

I adore this book and I'm so attached to these characters now.

I'm not crying, fam. 😭😭😭

PsychBat!

Banned
I've never read Daredevil, but I've always liked the character. Would Waid's run be a good introduction?

Most of the other people would tell you to start at Brubaker's or Bendis' run. But I started Waid's run without any prior knowledge to Daredevil and let me tell you... It is a great place to start.

I recommend it.

Calcium

Banned
Waids run is colorful and bright. If you want dark and gritty like the show, Bendis or Frank Miller.

I haven't seen the show, so I'm not really swayed one way or the other.

Most of the other people would tell you to start at Brubaker's or Bendis' run. But I started Waid's run without any prior knowledge to Daredevil and let me tell you... It is a great place to start.

I recommend it.

Sounds good, I'll go ahead and order. Thanks.

Finished the whole run and I have to say it was absolutely phenomenal. It's funny and full of action. Sometimes it's gritty and gross and silly.

But, even more than that, it's also really raw, and thoughtful, and tragic, and beatiful in a way that you wouldn't get at all if you only glanced at a cover for it.

I adore this book and I'm so attached to these characters now.

I'm not crying, fam. 😭😭😭
One of my favorite runs, it's really powerful at points (first half is legendary). Check out Uncanny Avengers since it's the sequel series. It's mostly good until the end and the current run just started so it's hard to say where that's really going, but it's worth reading if you enjoyed X-Force.

(also read Deadly Class)
I've never read Daredevil, but I've always liked the character. Would Waid's run be a good introduction?

Yeah it works fine. I'd probably do the Bendis run first just to get some background knowledge. It's very good.

Just read the new Deadly Class. Shit was red hot as always. Marcus fucks up and does the exact thing Maria tells him not to, directly after she advises him. SHE GAVE YOU THE OUT MAN. Everyone knows its gonna be #teamsaya all day after this drama settles.

I really loved the writing in this issue. Marcus is such the perfect naval gazing 15 year old piece of shit.

Gonna read it some more later tonight. The fight at the end was a bit confusing, though. Which is uncharacteristic of Deadly Class.

Just read the new Deadly Class. Shit was red hot as always. Marcus fucks up and does the exact thing Maria tells him not to, directly after she advises him. SHE GAVE YOU THE OUT MAN. Everyone knows its gonna be #teamsaya all day after this drama settles.

I really loved the writing in this issue. Marcus is such the perfect naval gazing 15 year old piece of shit.

Gonna read it some more later tonight. The fight at the end was a bit confusing, though. Which is uncharacteristic of Deadly Class.

I think Maria might be secret best girl.

so bad it's tiresome to think about it?

Ha, no. I've been up for over 24 hours, had painful lancing done...and ended up singing Queen songs in a friends car while driving through Croydon at 3am :p AoU...
It was ok. It was overlong by about a third, Ultron...wasn't wasted so much but it felt like it didn't HAVE to be an Ultron story and it's pace was a little erratic. I also wish the mid credits sequence teased the unknown of a phase 3 rather than Infinity War. Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch were awesome, Thor continues to be infinitely more likeable than in his solo movies and the romance between Widow and Banner felt forced as hell. It was a good but not great film imo.

Zombine

Banned
Daredevil was added to the list. Would anyone like to make some images for the header, suggestions, ect? Full credit to all involved. I'll make all edits suggested as well. Like I said its a massive group effort but I had to lay the foundation.

Also, fuck anyone who says they disagree with the choices for books (not you guys) it'll happen more often, but they basically miss the point of the list. It's objective as fuck. It's just to highlight the best of the best.

I'll also be adding a helpful links section. If anyone (Ben/Tim/Slug/Other scholars) have any critical media that needs to be posted let me know.

What are the general opinions of this Marvel "guide"

http://www.comicbookherald.com/the-complete-marvel-reading-order-guide/

The basic jist seems to be starting with the Marvel Knights era and reading everything good/important all the way up to now. I'm pretty new to the whole comics scene so I don't know how good/comprehensive it is, but I have Marvel Unlimited and the thought of following a reading guide that just starts in 1998 is pretty appealing

I wouldn't do something like that personally. It just seems too focused around events, but I'm not really much of an event person to begin with.

I'd say start at Marvel NOW and just pick some random series from there and see what you like. From there you can always go back and read older stories.

Squire

Banned
One of my favorite runs, it's really powerful at points (first half is legendary). Check out Uncanny Avengers since it's the sequel series. It's mostly good until the end and the current run just started so it's hard to say where that's really going, but it's worth reading if you enjoyed X-Force.

(also read Deadly Class)

I tried the first issue of UA right after and yeah, seems good!

I also tried the first issue of Humphries Uncanny X-Force. Uh uh uh

Why is Betsy cursing now? Why is she so mad?

And that very last oanel?

The fuck is this shit?

The fuck is this shit?

Yeah... I don't recommend that one, I stopped reading it and never went back.

Bii

The fuck is this shit?

I read the first trade, Let It Bleed. Yeah, that shit sucked. I wrote a little review of it way back when and thought it was horrible.

Sandfox

Daredevil was added to the list. Would anyone like to make some images for the header, suggestions, ect? Full credit to all involved. I'll make all edits suggested as well. Like I said its a massive group effort but I had to lay the foundation.

Also, fuck anyone who says they disagree with the choices for books (not you guys) it'll happen more often, but they basically miss the point of the list. It's objective as fuck. It's just to highlight the best of the best.

I'll also be adding a helpful links section. If anyone (Ben/Tim/Slug/Other scholars) have any critical media that needs to be posted let me know.
I posted that I disagree with the recs but I regret that because what I really disagree with is the formatting because I think it could be made easier for people new to comics.

I think Maria might be secret best girl.

Heresy!!!

Honestly though, I lost all hope for Maria after she actually
tried to kill Marcus.
I mean, I know she says she never intended for it to really happen. But, bruh... theres no coming back from that.

At least not from my perspective as a reader. Marcus himself is liable to take home that gold for the 2015 simp olympics.

Zombine

Banned
I posted that I disagree with the recs but I regret that because what I really disagree with is the formatting because I think it could be made easier for people new to comics.

Hey dude. Yeah that part will be fleshed out over the next few days. I'll eventually include pics, artist info, Ect. I was just legit running out of steam by the end. It'll look way better by the end of the weekend.

Squire

Banned
Yeah... I don't recommend that one, I stopped reading it and never went back.

I read the first trade, Let It Bleed. Yeah, that shit sucked. I wrote a little review of it way back when and thought it was horrible.

I kinda wanna stick with it to see how bad it gets. We'll see.

I need to let the good UXF marinade. I'll be thinking about it for a while yet.

Perhaps I can get caught up on Bendis X-Men by the end of this week.

Btw, anybody read All New X-Men #40 in full? Impressions?

NexusCell

The fuck is this shit?

The only reason why I read through that shit was because it had Spiral, one of my Xmen favorite characters.

zennyzz

I kinda wanna stick with it to see how bad it gets. We'll see.

I need to let the good UXF marinade. I'll be thinking about it for a while yet.

Perhaps I can get caught up on Bendis X-Men by the end of this week.

Btw, anybody read All New X-Men #40 in full? Impressions?

Did, it was a bendis issue. The most upsetting thing about it was the revelation at the end which was, well it was something.

PsychBat!

Banned

I could do something. I'm doing something for the Secret Wars OT but I have time for this noble effort.

Just read Squirrel Girl. Man, I really wasn't feeling this book like some of you are, but this issue.... This is what I was hoping for before the series even started. Hilarious from start to finish. Loved the part where
they're talkimg about Thanos and Galactus is like "Hah hah, what a tool."
Fantastic issue. Loved it.

zennyzz

Just read Squirrel Girl. Man, I really wasn't feeling this book like some of you are, but this issue.... This is what I was hoping for before the series even started. Hilarious from start to finish. Loved the part where
they're talkimg about Thanos and Galactus is like "Hah hah, what a tool."
Fantastic issue. Loved it.

Still think the twitter stuff at the start was the best of this issue. Though I did like a lot of this one. Probably my favorite issue thus far.

Looks quite good. If anything, you could add just a smidge more muscle if you're going for the amazon look. The costume needs darker reds and blues.
Really? Maybe it's just the angle of the pose, or a lack of something for scale comparison, but she's already pretty beefy. Tall, too. I've probably reworked her a half-dozen times trying to find the right balance between feminine beauty and strength while still being able to fit clothes onto her. Any more muscle, and I was afraid she'd start to get that bulging problem that Victoria runs into when you dial her up too much.

Look, here's a quick side-by-side with my Harley WIP in the same pose:

I can't ignore it because it's lewd.

Good model though :D
Fixed that too, see? Just fiddled with the knobs until it went away.

Top Bottom