• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Captain Marvel #8 and Rocket #4 - fun silly books

Uncanny X-men #25-27 - I like this omega mutant story

All New Ghost Rider #8 - complete trash, damn my OCD

Deadpool vs X-Force #3-4 - completely forgetable and pointless. Good art tho

Hawkeye vs Deadpool #1 - just like the one-shot this was awesome

Amazing X-Men #12 - serviceable but this Wendigo story lost steam a long time ago

Superior Foes #16 - only 1 issue left noooooooooooo

X-Force #10 - cool issue but I miss the awesome art. Live this book still

I think Nextwave will be the next thing I check out on MU since I haven't read it yet. I like what I have read by Ellis so I figure I'll enjoy it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I think Nextwave will be the next thing I check out on MU since I haven't read it yet. I like what I have read by Ellis so I figure I'll enjoy it.

You are a bad person fleshy one
because you haven't read it yet

Super mutant god super mutant should be the next power level

Super-Kami-Guru-shadowmarioking-25779828-500-375.jpg

Squire

Banned
Wow, Black Widow is pretty alright there, eh fellas?

Read the first two issues. Digging this. The subject matter and the Noto art make it a pretty transition after UXF. The scenes with the cat are adorable, too. 😺

Bloodember

Really? Maybe it's just the angle of the pose, or a lack of something for scale comparison, but she's already pretty beefy. Tall, too. I've probably reworked her a half-dozen times trying to find the right balance between feminine beauty and strength while still being able to fit clothes onto her. Any more muscle, and I was afraid she'd start to get that bulging problem that Victoria runs into when you dial her up too much.

Look, here's a quick side-by-side with my Harley WIP in the same pose:

Fixed that too, see? Just fiddled with the knobs until it went away.

Wow, those look amazing. I love Harley, she's awesome. Keep up the great work.

zennyzz

Guys, is there any friendly way to join the Marvel Universe via the 2015 Secret Wars?

What should i buy? :$

The warzones titles are supposed to be self contained minis recreating famous(and controversial) events and storylines through marvel history.

If anything those are probably the best secret wars books to grab to get a feel of certain aspects of the Marvel universe over the years. Though I feel there won't be a substantial jump on point for current Marvel until after SW has ended and the new universe begins.

Randy42

The warzones titles are supposed to be self contained minis recreating famous(and controversial) events and storylines through marvel history.

If anything those are probably the best secret wars books to grab to get a feel of certain aspects of the Marvel universe over the years. Though I feel there won't be a substantial jump on point for current Marvel until after SW has ended and the new universe begins.

I feel bad for people jumping on after SW and not before it since marvels been at the top of its game in recent years with stuff like Hickman Avengers, Hawkguy, etc

zennyzz

I feel bad for people jumping on after SW and not before it since marvels been at the top of its game in recent years with stuff like Hickman Avengers, Hawkguy, etc

There's a lot of fun stuff, but I wouldn't exactly call now a good hop on point. Hickman's avenger's run is long, especially when you consider that it's not self contained to one book either.

There is a fairly decent amount of new books to kick into though a sizeable amount being c-listers who haven't gotten shine time before, but as a

"You can go forward from here, don't sweat the details" point it's more iffy.

Randy42

There's a lot of fun stuff, but I wouldn't exactly call now a good hop on point. Hickman's avenger's run is long, especially when you consider that it's not self contained to one book either.

There is a fairly decent amount of new books to kick into though a sizeable amount being c-listers who haven't gotten shine time before, but as a

"You can go forward from here, don't sweat the details" point it's more iffy.

Nah I meant jumping on a couple years ago when all the now-ending books started after AvX (which was hilariously terrible) would've been a better spot cause I highly doubt the new stuff is going to top it in overall quality based on what they're now pushing. Also some of the best writers like hickman saying they're done with extended runs now and going to go more the ellis style of a < 12 issue run and then passing it off unless they get a really really really big idea they need to tell

Wait, I thought Damien was dead?

Came back recently in Batman & Robin. Because characters aren't allowed to stay dead.

How is Amazing X-Men? The new Juggernaut arc has me intrigued and my LCS has the single issues. Did it pick up when Yost came on board?

Sadist

How is Amazing X-Men? The new Juggernaut arc has me intrigued and my LCS has the single issues. Did it pick up when Yost came on board?
It's okay.

World War Wendigo was okay. Had some meh death of Wolverine tie-ins. The Juggernaut arc has some ugly art. Issue yesterday has some improved art, but it's still meh.

tim1138

Oh my god I need to read this

If you just want that arc, it starts with the One Shot Robin Rises Omega than goes through Batman and Robin #33-#37 and wraps up in Robin Rises Alpha. It was a fantastic story arc and Pat Gleason drew the absolute hell out of Apokolips.

Robbi Rodriguez posted this on twitter,, What do you guys think

"Sorry about being a dick w/the signatures @ #C2E2 but I'm trying to weed out flippers+price gouging so the fans get a honest chance."

His policy is all signatures and sketches will be personalized.

I assume he won't be charging for the sketches if that is the case.

Really? I'd be surprised if he didn't charge. I guess he doesn't really do commissions anymore.
I contacted him on FB about doing a commish or sketch, he was really nice about it thanked me for my kind words and what not.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Comics fall to the same failing as anime or asian cinema or a lot of things- as most mediums of entertainment are, they are like 70% shit, 20% ok and 10% great (if that) but since it isn't 'big' like hollywood film or western television or just books, you have people overcompensate and try and convince everyone it's pure art and amazing, then you get people legitimately arguing next to like, legitimate art classics like Godfather 2 or To Kill a Mockingbird that some cartoon where wolverine fucks a robot (FYI I just made that up, but honestly wonder if he has ever done this) is up there with heavyweights.

Comics look really nice and it isn't any surprise that little one shots or self contained arcs tend to be more popular or well recognised. In the end they are purely just money making machines. So are hollywood films, but at least like one in every 20 hollywood films that come out tend to be "It will make money to let say, Quentin Tarantino make what he wants" and you get a true passion project.

The other thing is comics don't quit, they just keep going and going until you get the most convoluted storylines ever. I'm a massive MCU fan but I simply cannot get into the comics. I have tried and it's just too daunting.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. 70% shit, 20% ok, and 10% great (yeah right)

Really? I'd be surprised if he didn't charge. I guess he doesn't really do commissions anymore.
I contacted him on FB about doing a commish or sketch, he was really nice about it thanked me for my kind words and what not.

I'd be pissed if I commissioned someone and they personalized it without my consent. I'm paying you for a good and service. If I want a clean image that's my preference.

These guys need to worry less about the small percentage who will flip their shit (and if they do who fucking cares) and just focus on making the larger portion, their genuine fans, happy.

I'd be pissed if I commissioned someone and they personalized it without my consent. I'm paying you for a good and service. If I want a clean image that's my preference.

These guys need to worry less about the small percentage who will flip their shit (and if they do who fucking cares) and just focus on making the larger portion, their genuine fans, happy.

So you want juuuuust enough of his personality on the page to get the art but as far as his preferences as an artist and what he considers his rights as the creator of the thing you're supposedly interested in (but not quiiiite enough to let him do it the way wants to) you're the boss?

That's a real peculiar way to treat a creative. If he wants to personalize it, why do you give a shit? Who fucking cares? Just focus on making the larger portion, the drawing, as badass and evocative of their skills as possible.

tim1138

I don't see any issue with artists personalizing sketches and commissions. I'd be pissed if I charged some schlub $80 for a commission only to see it for sale on ebay or whatever for double that. Flippers are why we can't have nice things.

On that same note, if you want to get a really cool commission that's original and embodies that artists skills and style, let them draw you whatever the fuck they want. I love that my Ryan Browne commission is some crazy ass monster he came up with that day and not just a drawing of a preexisting character done in his style. Same with the weird ass clown my wife got from Chip Zdarsky. I feel like if you want an artist to draw a character they are known for, just buy one of their pages.

So you want juuuuust enough of his personality on the page to get the art but as far as his preferences as an artist and what he considers his rights as the creator of the thing you're supposedly interested in (but not quiiiite enough to let him do it the way wants to) you're the boss?

That's a real peculiar way to treat a creative. If he wants to personalize it, why do you give a shit? Who fucking cares? Just focus on making the larger portion, the drawing, as badass and evocative of their skills as possible.

I think you're misunderstand the meaning of personalize in this case. What ThyMusicMan is talking about is generally stuff like the artist writing "To ThyMusicMan" along with the signature or drawing which is meant to diminish or remove second hand sale value from it, since if my name isn't ThyMusicMan then I would be less likely to want to buy his signed comic or drawing if he ever sold it. I'm not talking about something like artistic license on a vague request for a commission. That's to be expected. If I pay an artist for an awesome PeeGee commission to frame and put up on my wall, it's my right to have it clean of shit like "For GrandHarrier" on it. I'm framing an awesome picture, not my name.

Dunbar

If you are a big Juggernaut or Colossus fan, it might be worth picking up, otherwise like Sadist said, you're fine to wait.

Scrolling up, LOL at the idea of anyone "jumping in" to Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers. Take it from someone who tried: it doesn't work. There is way, WAY too much assumed prior knowledge from Hickman's previous runs on stuff like FF, plus a bunch of Ultimate stuff you'd need to know about, etc. for it to make any sense.

I've read the entire run plus Avengers World, and I'll be damned if I could explain any of it to anyone other than to say that universes are crashing into each other and only one will be left after it's all over.

tim1138

I finally finished the first volume of Batmanga, it's a whole lot of fun. Looking forward to grabbing volume two this summer.

I have been reading Convergence, it has been just ok. It has some cool moments that have kept me going. I have only bought 2 tie-ins per week and this week I got Swamp Thing and New Teen Titans. I read Swamp Thing last night before bed and enjoyed it. My only experience with the character has been in Justice League Dark and companion books during Forever Evil. I mostly for th Kelley Jones art which did not dissapoint.

Made me want to check out Moores Swamp Thing one day.

I have been reading Convergence, it has been just ok. It has some cool moments that have kept me going. I have only bought 2 tie-ins per week and this week I got Swamp Thing and New Teen Titans. I read Swamp Thing last night before bed and enjoyed it. My only experience with the character has been in Justice League Dark and companion books during Forever Evil. I mostly for th Kelley Jones art which did not dissapoint.

108278-Starsky-and-Hutch-do-it-gif-Im-R7GF.gif

tim1138

You really should.

I think you're misunderstand the meaning of personalize in this case. What ThyMusicMan is talking about is generally stuff like the artist writing "To ThyMusicMan" along with the signature or drawing which is meant to diminish or remove second hand sale value from it, since if my name isn't ThyMusicMan then I would be less likely to want to buy his signed comic or drawing if he ever sold it. I'm not talking about something like artistic license on a vague request for a commission. That's to be expected. If I pay an artist for an awesome PeeGee commission to frame and put up on my wall, it's my right to have it clean of shit like "For GrandHarrier" on it. I'm framing an awesome picture, not my name.

It's not your right to get it from that dude, then. You're rights begin and end at the character being depicted. He's not building you a kitchen or fixing your car.

But I think it's equally silly to think that your "real fans" will be fine whether he institutes this rule or not. I'd bet that it's a statistical certainty that a "real fan" has been shut out every time a flipper takes up a spot on a popular artist's commission list. No one at his level has the bandwidth to fill every commission they get for a con weekend.

I get why you wouldn't want your name on it though. You definitely want to make sure a commissioned drawing you personally asked for shows no trace of the fact that it's a commissioned drawing you personally asked for. But don't sweat it. The fact that it's drawn on 8.5x11 paper with no surrounding context ensures no one will ever know. AS LONG AS YOUR NAME ISNT ON IT THOUGH.

;D

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

You will be like how is this so fucking good?

Top Bottom