• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

Sadist

Marvel troll game strong.
cry-about-it-lol.gif

I mean you do realize that Fables' very first arc is a pro-Israel metaphor right?
Well yeah, that's the most obvious political stuff in the book but it happens to be an issue I'm very ambivalent about for a number of personal reasons.
There's a large number of political issues where I have clear cut opinions but this isn't one.

Vibranium

Banned
Holy shit, Edmondson was involved in social conservative stuff like that? I will stick with Black Widow for Noto but I may jump off Punisher, I think I've had my fill of his version of Frank.

ElNarez

Banned
*sigh*

I can't take this shit.

Rucka's run wrote AROUND the Punisher. It's less about him as a chatacter and more about him as a force or nature, he's just this giant natural catastrophe fucking up the lives of people around him and being a bad influence.

At least until the Vulture fight.

PsychBat!

Banned
So in brighter news, I turned in a short story to my class and had to make copies for each classmate for them to input their opinions on. That was on Tuesday. So, today was critique day where my classmates vocalize their opinions about my story and other stories. My story was talked about last and NOTHING went as I expected to go. I thought my story was very shallow and over the top. And I was expecting it to be criticized harshly.
If anyone wants to read it, shoot me a PM.

Rucka's run wrote AROUND the Punisher. It's less about him as a chatacter and more about him as a force or nature, he's just this giant natural catastrophe fucking up the lives of people around him and being a bad influence.

At least until the Vulture fight.

No, no. It's not even that. It's that every time someone digs up something like this, everyone hops on the social justice bandwagon and bitches about it. "oh my god, this book is ruined for me."

*sigh*

I just find it ridiculous. I judge stories by how enjoyable I find them, not by the creator's beliefs. Orson Scott Card is super anti-gay. Not an opinion I share, but I'll be damned if he didn't write some good novels.

fauxtrot

Banned
what superpower is supporting fabletown with billions of dollars in that metaphor

Daaamn.gif

ReAxion, I love you right now.

The real travesty of the Eisner nominations is that team Batmans art is not on there. LOOK at these preview pages for issue 40.

http://www.buzzcomics.net/showpost.php?p=1574272&postcount=1

You know what, you're absolutely right. I don't pick up the single issues, but any time I get a look at that art and those colors, I'm in awe.

Squire

Banned
Holy shit at this drama going down! I'm glad I never really got into The Punisher, but if I'm being honest I'm pretty devastated about likely dropping Black Widow now.

The Chris Kyle stuff doesn't really bother me as much, but being a straight up homophobe and from what I'm gathering, a sexist too, now that's enough for me to fucking jump off your book.

It's such a shame. I read the first two issues back to back last night. Was ready to go all in.

headshot95

Neo Member
No, no. It's not even that. It's that every time someone digs up something like this, everyone hops on the social justice bandwagon and bitches about it. "oh my god, this book is ruined for me."

*sigh*

I just find it ridiculous. I judge stories by how enjoyable I find them, not by the creator's beliefs. Orson Scott Card is super anti-gay. Not an opinion I share, but I'll be damned if he didn't write some good novels.

I share the same opinion. I'm not going to let Edmondson's personal views change how I feel about the comics he writes, especially if they are comics I enjoy. Dropping Black Widow or Punisher now because of this is only robbing yourself of a story you have almost read till completion. Marvel is going to pay Edmondson regardless if you buy the comics or not, so if you still enjoy the story than keep reading.

headshot95

Neo Member
It's such a shame. I read the first two issues back to back last night. Was ready to go all in.

Man, if you like it than just read it. If you are worried that people will judge you because you like a comic that is written by somebody that doesn't share their viewpoints on certain topics than just don't tell anybody you are reading it.

PsychBat!

Banned
I'm going to read X-Men 92, comicGAF. Chris Sims owned up to his mistakes in the past, he apologized twice. He definitely needs to do more, but at least I'm comfortable in buying his upcoming books again.

I'd rather not support people like him.

No, I get your reason. I just don't understand why you would deprive yourself of a story you'd been enjoying. It doesn't make sense to me. They get paid either way. By the time the books are at the retailers, he and Marvel already made their money.

Ever wonder how many things like this there were in the past that you never found out about?

Owzers

But you're a rockets fan! If there were ever a "people like him" category i'd put Harden in it. I think this has less to do with comic book writer stuff and more with Dallas being down 0-2...but....still.

Honestly, the long and short of if is that you should buy whatever you want.

There's no shame in being uneasy enough to skip someone's work because of their acts or ideas, like there's no shame in buying their work despite their ideas. The most important part is doing whatever you're comfortable with.

Dunbar

If you feel strongly about not buying Black Widow or Punisher just because of Edmondson, maybe consider continuing to buy the book but making a donation equal to (or greater than) the amount you spend on the book to a worthy cause.

I did this when Shadow Complex came out and there was controversy over Orson Scott Card (one of the people involved in the game's development) openly opposing gay marriage and being involved in causes that fought against it, etc. Donated $20 to a legal fund that argued for gay marriage rights and was still able to enjoy the game for what it was.

I'm going to read X-Men 92, comicGAF. Chris Sims owned up to his mistakes in the past, he apologized twice. He definitely needs to do more, but at least I'm comfortable in buying his upcoming books again.

Well, yeah, but we all know Chris is a great dude because >I< vouched for him, and everyone here trusts my opinion with zero reservation.

So in brighter news, I turned in a short story to my class and had to make copies for each classmate for them to input their opinions on. That was on Tuesday. So, today was critique day where my classmates vocalize their opinions about my story and other stories. My story was talked about last and NOTHING went as I expected to go. I thought my story was very shallow and over the top. And I was expecting it to be criticized harshly.
If anyone wants to read it, shoot me a PM.
Send it over, bro.

In regards to the Edmondson and Bill Willingham stuff, Willingham's Israel views isn't quite the same as writing one of your characters gun down minority characters and then having that same character praised as a real hero.

I don't remember anything jumping at me in Fables that made me want to stop reading the book.

There are a ton of comics that you can find enjoyable. I've been enjoying BW but instead of picking up the trades I'll just read it on MU if I want to and pick up another equally good or better comic and support another creator who doesn't have gross views (in this case, these views would be homophobic, sexist views).

Squire

Banned

No, I get your reason. I just don't understand why you would deprive yourself of a story you'd been enjoying. It doesn't make sense to me. They get paid either way. By the time the books are at the retailers, he and Marvel already made their money.

Ever wonder how many things like this there were in the past that you never found out about?

I feel the same way Messi does.

Look, I think art is personal. Any time you create something you put a piece of yourself into it. I can't separate the art and the politics as they're intrinsically linked.

I don't worry about the past. There's nothing I can do about things I was unaware of, that might upset concerns or values I didn't even have as a child or even less than a decade ago.

My concern is what I know now.

Man, if you like it than just read it. If you are worried that people will judge you because you like a comic that is written by somebody that doesn't share their viewpoints on certain topics than just don't tell anybody you are reading it.

See, I would never do this though because when I like something I try to give its due and share it with people. I mean, I'm posting ITT about Uncanny X-Force from like five years ago, haha.

Honestly, the long and short of if is that you should buy whatever you want.

There's no shame in being uneasy enough to skip someone's work because of their acts or ideas, like there's no shame in buying their work despite their ideas. The most important part is doing whatever you're comfortable with.
Yep

I will crosspost my post from the comic thread in OT because I can:
Can someone help me out? I read the entire OT but maybe some of you can help me narrow down what I should start out on. Ever since Marvel started pumping out these movies(CA, IM, etc) I've gotten the urge to get into comic books as there's a lot of interesting stuff that I don't get to see in the movies, also movies don't allow you a lot of time to get to know a character as well as a comic because they're only 1.5-2.5 hours long. Obviously, it's pretty scary to get into comics as there's just so many of them, that's where I need you guys. Only thing I can do is give a list of characters I like(or find interesting) and hope someone can point me in the right direction. I have a strong preference for Marvel, and I'm a huge sucker for origin stories(especially if I'm unfamiliar with a character).

Characters that I like(I'll put a * next to characters I have limited knowledge of but seem interesting considering their backstories and premise):
Spider-Man
Storm(X-Men)*
Doctor Doom*(there was the F4 movie but honestly that made me want to never check out anything F4 more than anything)
Black Panther*
Thanos
Jean Grey*
Deathstroke*
Batman
Deadpool*(I have no idea what to expect from this though, might be a little too clowny for me)

I think that's it? That's less than I thought, but keep in mind I omitted several characters that seem cool but I know literally nothing about, examples being Spider Woman, She-Hulk, Ms. Marvel, Captain Marvel.

Other general stuff I like:
Origin stories
Strong female leads
Dark/depressing stuff(though I don't mind the opposite)

So that's about it, any suggestions? Also, just because a character isn't on my list doesn't mean I don't want to read about them, I don't have any strong dislikes, I have zero knowledge about a huge amount of characters. Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom