• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

Real talk. I really don't like Dinosaurs. Never have never will.

dinosaurs_beer_drop.gif

I feel the same way Messi does.

Look, I think art is personal. Any time you create something you put a piece of yourself into it. I can't separate the art and the politics as they're intrinsically linked.

If you're looking for some sort of social injustice, you'll probably find it in just about any form of media if you look hard enough. I personally can't understand why anyone would feel so strongly as to boycott something they enjoy (and would have continued to enjoy) because of a particular view held by the creator. Don't buy it, but don't think you're hurting him because of it. You're not.

Best. Cover. Ever.

It's a great cover, but I would have to disagree and submit the following as evidence:

Owzers

Sillymonkey how did you feel about Dwight and Josh Smith dunking all over the mavs? Kind of curious. Pls respond.

The Clippers and the Rockets, the two good teams i dislike the most, played very well so even though i reallllly don't like the players i was still glad for them that they got to have a good day. I'm going to accept that the Mavs aren't going to win this series...

I will crosspost my post from the comic thread in OT because I can:

For Black Panther get Christopher Priests Marvel Knights book.

She Hulk look for Dan Slotts or the new one that just ended.

For Doctor Doom theres a story with him and Dr Strange call Triumph and Torment. And for him with F4 look for Waid's run or Hickman.

Batman for awesome do Grant Morrison and Paul Dini had some good before the reboot. Snyder Batman is ok good but eh.

Thanos is Infinity Gauntlet.

Storm and Jean Grey. The solo stuff is iffy and i'll need to try and find issue nnumbers lol.

Dunbar

I hope none of these people who are dropping Punisher or Black Widow over Edmondson's views have ever paid money for a Frank Miller book because man, that dude is out there on some interviews I've seen with him.

Squire

Banned
If you're looking for some sort of social injustice, you'll probably find it in just about any form of media if you look hard enough. I personally can't understand why anyone would feel so strongly as to boycott something they enjoy (and would have continued to enjoy) because of a particular view held by the creator. Don't buy it, but don't think you're hurting him because of it. You're not.

This is where you misunderstand. It's not about hurting him or anyone else. I'm neglecting him of my support, in any capacity.

I swear Sandman Overture is beating Hawkeye for...months per issues stakes.

#1 came out Oct 2013.

#4 came out Dec 2014.

#5 is coming out end of next month...if you believe it.

And there will be an issue beyond that....although...it is kinda worth it for the art...

Usually, such problematic ideas in art are unintentional. This is a case where it appears to be an important part of the comic's message.

I will crosspost my post from the comic thread in OT because I can:

First things first, definitely check out Marvel Unlimited. You can get one month for free right now if you use the promo code "STARWARS". Marvel has a good chunk of stuff on there and pretty much anything you'd want to read is probably available on there.

I can't give recommendations for every character you have listed, but here's some good stuff to check out:
Spider-Man: Ultimate Spider-Man was really good from what I did read, if you enjoy origin stories you'll definitely like this. For mainline Spider-Man, I'd recommend starting at either Brand New Day or Superior. I like what I have read of BND just because so many different creators did stuff and there's tons of variety.

Thanos: Modern Cosmic Marvel is what you want. Annihilation to The Thanos Imperative.

Batman: If you want a modern comic, the current series written by Scott Snyder is very popular. Luckily, Batman has a ton of good comics so you probably won't run out of stuff to read. Year One and Mad Love are both excellent and that's just the tip of the iceberg really.

Deadpool: You can read pretty much anything starring him as long as it isn't written by Daniel Way. I haven't read it but I've read nothing but great things about the current series by Duggan and Posehn. It's supposed to be one of the best series with him. Other than that, Joe Kelly did a good run and Cable & Deadpool is great. And it's not necessarily a Deadpool book but Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender had him as a member and he was written very, very well in that.

For female led books try out:
Batwoman: Elegy - If you like more, it continues onto the New 52 series.
Power Girl Power Trip
She-Hulk by Dan Slott (or try the recent series by Soule)
Black Canary and Zatanna: Bloodspell
Journey Into Mystery Featuring Sif - I recommended this to one user and he said it was hard to follow, but I really enjoyed this short run. Sif is a badass.
Batgirl by Bryan Q Miller

If you want something dark, look into Stray Bullets.

And just a general recommendation, but do check out Hawkeye by Matt Fraction. Even if you're not interested in the character, it deserves a chance. The artwork is consistently great and Fraction makes basic interactions between the Hawkeyes and their supporting cast really fun.

#1 came out Oct 2013.

#4 came out Dec 2014.

And there will be an issue beyond that....although...it is kinda worth it for the art...

I'm wiling to bet Neil Gaiman is a lot busier than David Aja is. Neil Gaiman was on a world tour, writing a book, writing Sandman, recording a radio play, and is dealing with a pregnant wife.

Messi

The Clippers and the Rockets, the two good teams i dislike the most, played very well so even though i reallllly don't like the players i was still glad for them that they got to have a good day. I'm going to accept that the Mavs aren't going to win this series...

And how do you feel about the shit Rondo pulled?

This is where you misunderstand. It's not about hurting him or anyone else. I'm neglecting him of my support, in any capacity.

How is neglecting support in this case anything but an attempt to hurt? It's not as if you had a sudden bout of apathy about the product, here. And if this story never came to light, you would have likely continued to enjoy the book. In this case, you heard something, and your dropping the book was a direct result. You can't claim it wasn't malicious in some manner.

Have we become so jaded that we don't talk about Deadly Class. It's back, I read it. It was fucking amazing. Wes Craig went into God Mode with his action. Those colors. GOAT

So-Good-James-Franco-In-Spider-Man-3.gif

Mudcrab

#1 came out Oct 2013.

#4 came out Dec 2014.

Everybody knew it was going to be like this. It is absolutely worth the wait, of course.

First things first, definitely check out Marvel Unlimited. You can get one month for free right now if you use the promo code "STARWARS". Marvel has a good chunk of stuff on there and pretty much anything you'd want to read is probably available on there.

I can't give recommendations for every character you have listed, but here's some good stuff to check out:
Spider-Man: Ultimate Spider-Man was really good from what I did read, if you enjoy origin stories you'll definitely like this. For mainline Spider-Man, I'd recommend starting at either Brand New Day or Superior. I like what I have read of BND just because so many different creators did stuff and there's tons of variety.

Thanos: Modern Cosmic Marvel is what you want. Annihilation to The Thanos Imperative.

Batman: If you want a modern comic, the current series written by Scott Snyder is very popular. Luckily, Batman has a ton of good comics so you probably won't run out of stuff to read. Year One and Mad Love are both excellent and that's just the tip of the iceberg really.

Deadpool: You can read pretty much anything starring him as long as it isn't written by Daniel Way. I haven't read it but I've read nothing but great things about the current series by Duggan and Posehn is supposed to be one of the best series with him. Other than that, Joe Kelly did a good run and Cable & Deadpool is great. And it's not necessarily a Deadpool book but Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender had him as a member and he was written very, very well in that.

For female led books try out:
Batwoman: Elegy - If you like more, it continues onto the New 52 series.
Power Girl Power Trip
She-Hulk by Dan Slott (or try the recent series by Soule)
Black Canary and Zatanna: Bloodspell
Journey Into Mystery Featuring Sif - I recommended this to one user and he said it was hard to follow, but I really enjoyed this short run. Sif is a badass.
Batgirl by Bryan Q Miller

If you want something dark, look into Stray Bullets.

And just a general recommendation, but do check out Hawkeye by Matt Fraction. Even if you're not interested in the character, it deserves a chance. The artwork is consistently great and Fraction makes basic interactions between the Hawkeyes and their supporting cast really fun.

Ah i had to keep editing. My phone wasnt copying his list.

But yea! on Sif Journey into mystery and Brian Miller awesome Batgirl book and Power Girl.

Squire

Banned
How is neglecting support in this case anything but an attempt to hurt? It's not as if you had a sudden bout of apathy about the product, here. And if this story never came to light, you would have likely continued to enjoy the book. In this case, you heard something, and your dropping the book was a direct result. You can't claim it wasn't malicious in some manner.

It's a choice not to support a creator that holds a malicious set of beliefs and, apparently, has demonstrated maliciousness himself in his own behavior

Please, if someone being mean-spirited is what you take issue with, look to Edmonson, not me.

PsychBat!

Banned
At Gentle Rodriguez
If you're into some dark stuff, I recommend Avengers/New Avengers by Jonathan Hickman. It's basically an existentially dark book that it teeters extremely close to the horror genre.

I strongly recommend it.

ElNarez

Banned

Edmonson and Gerads standing up for straight-up bunk bullshit does not make their Punisher run shitty, yeah. But it does inform the way in which it is shitty. It puts the spotlight on the borderline sociopathic racist stuff in the book. It's just information, not even a call to drop it, you can do whatever you want.

But also, I feel like if you're the kind of people who's down with everything there was in that Punisher run no questions asked, if you thought it was wicked sick awesome, you're probably completely fine with them being hardcore convervatives, likely because you're one yourself.

And it's fine! But also, if you think things like "indiscriminately shooting brown people is totally cool & awesome" or "gay people need to be saved and brought back to the normalcy of heterosexuality", I want to know so I never have to talk to you ever again in my life.

I know! Remender just made Maria a top tier character.

Especially with
that talk they had near the end. Maria is accepting that the relationship is over, and now Marcus is seeing what a treasure she is. It remains to be seen whether Saya is serious about him, or it was just a fling.
I hate cliffhangers in these kinds of stories.

Owzers

i'm finding it hard to resist buying the next bundle of Buffy Season 10 issues in the dark horse sale despite not loving the first arc, the buffy franchise gets me to buy books i'd normally forget.

Mudcrab

At Gentle Rodriguez
If you're into some dark stuff, I recommend Avengers/New Avengers by Jonathan Hickman. It's basically an existentially dark book that it teeters extremely close to the horror genre.

I strongly recommend it.

Soon, Psych. Soon.

I haven't even read them yet. They're just sitting in my box waiting...

It's kind of crazy that the writer of Sandman turned into one of the most famous authors alive.

Not to tempt you or anything but I don't know how you can hold off. Sandman is as amazing as ever.

Oh yea a good Black Widow story was the 5 issues Marjorie Liu did. The name of the rose.

Sorry. Stuff pops in my head like that. I cant think of much on the spot.

Brash im just begging and pleading. I just wanted to chill today but I'm just so sick. My ass feels like the San Andreas fault. With each grumble in my stomach I brace myself for these earth winds to pass. Lying on the bathroom floor. With a promise to be better.....

Edmonson and Gerads standing up for straight-up bunk bullshit does not make their Punisher run shitty, yeah. But it does inform the way in which it is shitty. It puts the spotlight on the borderline sociopathic racist stuff in the book. It's just information, not even a call to drop it, you can do whatever you want.

It's not even this book specifically that's really getting under my skin, here. It's the repetition of people always finding something to complain about somewhere. Last time, it was the Rafael Albuquerque Batgirl variant cover. It feels like people are on a never-ending social justice crusade. Should all people be treated equally regardless of sex, skin color, or religion? Absolutely. But it doesn't mean bitching about a comic book cover is going to change the world. Why don't we just completely abolish fun and enjoyment of any kind?

But also, I feel like if you're the kind of people who's down with everything there was in that Punisher run no questions asked, if you thought it was wicked sick awesome, you're probably completely fine with them being hardcore convervatives, likely because you're one yourself.

From the very beginning, Punisher's gimmick has always been straight-up killing people. Bad people, sure. But people. I remember that being the draw to the book all the other kids were talking about when I was a kid. If you didn't wanna see people getting popped in some capacity, you probably wouldn't be reading Punisher.

And it's fine! But also, if you think things like "indiscriminately shooting brown people is totally cool & awesome" or "gay people need to be saved and brought back to the normalcy of heterosexuality", I want to know so I never have to talk to you ever again in my life.

No, no. No need to worry about that. Everyone should be able to live their life the way they want so long as they aren't hurting anyone.

Brash im just begging and pleading. I just wanted to chill today but I'm just so sick. My ass feels like the San Andreas fault. With each grumble in my stomach I brace myself for these earth winds to pass. Lying on the bathroom floor. With a promise to be better.....

This is like poetry, Rafa

Zombine

Banned

Watch Vampire Diaries. That's what I did that one time I had the stomach bug.

Caroline is like pepto bismol.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I'll do some research and figure out where I want to start. I figured there wouldn't be much solo stuff for Storm and Jean Grey but is there anything good out there in which either one plays a big role? They don't need to dominate the story for me to stay interested.

Also, anything else Spider-Man related(including Spider-Woman, Spider-Gwen, etc) that's worth checking out? Thanks again.

you've had worse days, Rafa. you can pull through. i believe in u
Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I'll do some research and figure out where I want to start. I figured there wouldn't be much solo stuff for Storm and Jean Grey but is there anything good out there in which either one plays a big role? They don't need to dominate the story for me to stay interested.

Also, anything else Spider-Man related(including Spider-Woman, Spider-Gwen, etc) that's worth checking out? Thanks again.

Spider Gwen is solid. I hear the new Spider-Woman got good at #5, and that it's a good jumping on point. There was/is a Storm solo book, not sure if it's still going on but i've heard decent things

I don't really read X-Men so I don't have much to say on them unfortunately

Silk and Spider-Gwen are both good. I hear Spider-Woman got pretty good at #5 but I haven't read it.

MG310

It's been a long while since I read it but I remember the Richard Morgan/Bill Sienkewicz Widow story being decent. The trade is titled Homecoming.

Top Bottom