• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

ElNarez

Banned
It's not even this book specifically that's really getting under my skin, here. It's the repetition of people always finding something to complain about somewhere. Last time, it was the Rafael Albuquerque Batgirl variant cover. It feels like people are on a never-ending social justice crusade. Should all people be treated equally regardless of sex, skin color, or religion? Absolutely. But it doesn't mean bitching about a comic book cover is going to change the world. Why don't we just completely abolish fun and enjoyment of any kind?

The reason we, I say not even knowing who I'm supposed to represent here, but since it's a position I've held, I'll count myself as part of that, speak about this IS because most of this stuff is small and inconsequential.

It should be incredibly easy to think "Yo, maybe this cover alluding to the trauma of a violent sexual assault, and featuring a heroine in tears is not the best thing to put on a book meant to attract an audience of young women, and that's not even going into how it's likely that it might be a PTSD trigger for victims of assault". Like, it's a matter of common sense, almost.

Same way one could think "Hey, maybe there's something messed up about The Punisher murdering mostly people whose skins are darker than his, and that kind of behavior making him an hero and an example to be followed, while he glibly enjoys a donut with a smug smile on his face".

Yet here we are, yet for all our talk about how wham bam pow comics are for grown-ups now, we still fall in these incredibly dumb pitfalls, when we should know better. To do that, we need to talk, we need to start these conversations. That's really all that is happening here. Conversations about what we want from comics, and that includes all of us, with no distinction of gender, origin, skin color, sexual orientation, religion, or any identity whatsoever.

Shit, the biggest topic in comics this week was LGBT representation and bi erasure. These conversations are happening, and we're gonna get better comics from them. Honestly, it's a win for everyone.

PsychBat!

Banned
GAF, I have a confession.
I hate parties.

I'm supposed to go to a baptism this Saturday and attend the party afterwards. I'm not there as a guest btw, I'm there to shoot a home video for the parents/take photographs. It's not my choice, it's a family business so I can't can't go. I get stressed in anticipation for these things, because it's not fun to be frustrated all day and have in-fighting from time to time.

All I'm saying is that I won't be here on Saturday, this is an all day thing. I'll probably have time to go on my phone so... there's a chance.

Just a really stressful week this week. heh

zennyzz

you've had worse days, Rafa. you can pull through. i believe in u

Spider Gwen is solid. I hear the new Spider-Woman got good at #5, and that it's a good jumping on point. There was/is a Storm solo book, not sure if it's still going on but i've heard decent things

It's amazing what making it not be a tie in mini can do for a book.

They were planning on doing it, but the Marvel thing happened instead. Apparently Doc Ock was going to open up a portal to another dimension and Emma Stone would pop-out.

...wut

PsychBat!

Banned
Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I'll do some research and figure out where I want to start. I figured there wouldn't be much solo stuff for Storm and Jean Grey but is there anything good out there in which either one plays a big role? They don't need to dominate the story for me to stay interested.

Also, anything else Spider-Man related(including Spider-Woman, Spider-Gwen, etc) that's worth checking out? Thanks again.
Just in case you didn't see my post.
At Gentle Rodriguez
If you're into some dark stuff, I recommend Avengers/New Avengers by Jonathan Hickman. It's basically an existentially dark book that it teeters extremely close to the horror genre.

I strongly recommend it.

GAF, I have a confession.
I hate parties.

I'm supposed to go to a baptism this Saturday and attend the party afterwards. I'm not there as a guest btw, I'm there to shoot a home video for the parents/take photographs. It's not my choice, it's a family business so I can't can't go. I get stressed in anticipation for these things, because it's not fun to be frustrated all day and have in-fighting from time to time.

All I'm saying is that I won't be here on Saturday, this is an all day thing. I'll probably have time to go on my phone so... there's a chance.

Just a really stressful week this week. heh

i have a communion next week. I'd rather be doing almost anything else on a Bank Holiday weekend, but them's the breaks.

Had to skip Avengers today because had to work late. Very tired, dunno how I'm gonna get up in the morning. Might go on Sunday, if the weather's good the place will be quiet.

PC is held up because case is out of stock. Sent three emails after they asked me for a replacement choice, even sent one in German, still nothing. Frustrated is not the word.

I think I'm gonna skip the comics tonight and read some of Dan Ryckart's book on anxiety. If the Forrest Gump of Games Journalism can't help me, who can?

i believe i agree with that elnarez post
They were planning on doing it, but the Marvel thing happened instead. Apparently Doc Ock was going to open up a portal to another dimension and Emma Stone would pop-out.

...i can't believe i'm saying this, but thank god the Emma Stone-led Spider-Man movie isn't happening

I need a bidet but all that is in arms reach are some Marvel comics. Grab a hose, was my past fears, trepidations, and regrets away. Live life to the fullest brahs.

Sadist

Lol the Jesus cover. You win Freezasaurus.

And Messi... boo! Booooo I say!

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I'll do some research and figure out where I want to start. I figured there wouldn't be much solo stuff for Storm and Jean Grey but is there anything good out there in which either one plays a big role? They don't need to dominate the story for me to stay interested.

Also, anything else Spider-Man related(including Spider-Woman, Spider-Gwen, etc) that's worth checking out? Thanks again.
If you want something Spider-Man related, I'd say Ultimate Spider-Man would be a nice read. There's some teenage drama in there, but overal it's a good more modern approach (allthough with some changes here and there) of the classic Spidey story.

Edit: wwwwhhhaaaaat at that Spider-Gwen stuff. Damn.

Guys, even if the movie would be shit, we would have seen Emma Stone in tights.

Emma. Stone. In. Tights.

Yeeeeeesssss

Zombine

Banned
I need a bidet but all that is in arms reach are some Marvel comics. Grab a hose, was my past fears, trepidations, and regrets away. Live life to the fullest brahs.

moreno-crying-gif1.gif

It should be incredibly easy to think "Yo, maybe this cover alluding to the trauma of a violent sexual assault, and featuring a heroine in tears is not the best thing to put on a book meant to attract an audience of young women, and that's not even going into how it's likely that it might be a PTSD trigger for victims of assault". Like, it's a matter of common sense, almost.

A perfectly valid argument if we were talking about something that was going to be the regular, widely available everywhere cover. But this was a variant, which would most likely only be displayed in very small numbers, in shops that specifically went out of their way to get it. I mean, Jesus, have you seen some of the shit that gets published in Crossed comics? You can't completely avoid topics because certain people have been victims of the thing in question. It may be the sensitive thing to do, but things like murder, rape, and all kinds of horrible things are brought up nightly on quite a few TV shows. Avoiding the thing doesn't help someone work through it, and it's unrealistic to expect society (whether we're talking about entertainment or something else) to curb itself to be sensitive to select individuals.

Yet here we are, yet for all our talk about how wham bam pow comics are for grown-ups now, we still fall in these incredibly dumb pitfalls, when we should know better. To do that, we need to talk, we need to start these conversations. That's really all that is happening here. Conversations about what we want from comics, and that includes all of us, with no distinction of gender, origin, skin color, sexual orientation, religion, or any identity whatsoever.

I'm not trying to say that social issues should be ignored, but it seems like every time something like this comes up, there's a dog-pile on the selected target (whether it be a writer, artist, what have you) and there are so few people that have anything real to contribute aside from "That makes me sick" or "What an asshole." That's not dialogue. That's a thousand people just shitting on someone without explaining their position, and it's far too prevalent on social media.

PsychBat!

Banned
I like smoke and lightning
Heavy metal thunder
Racin' with the wind
And the feelin' that I'm under
Yeah Darlin' go make it happen
Take the world in a love embrace
Fire all of your guns at once
And explode into space

Heavy metal thunder
Racin' with the wind
And explode into space

Well, you don't know what we could find.

Why don't you come with me, little girl, on a magic carpet ride?

Just in case you didn't see my post.

Oh I'm sorry if it seemed like I ignored you, I read everyone's posts including yours, thanks for the suggestions. I'll go google everything later and see what interests me most, Ultimate Spider-Man seems like a good starting point. Either way I have a bunch of stuff to read.

PsychBat!

Banned
Oh I'm sorry if it seemed like I ignored you, I read everyone's posts including yours, thanks for the suggestions. I'll go google everything later and see what interests me most, Ultimate Spider-Man seems like a good starting point. Either way I have a bunch of stuff to read.
lol no worries, sorry to bug you

Heavy metal thunder
Racin' with the wind
And explode into space
I'm 15 for a moment
Caught in between 10 and 20
And I'm just dreaming
Counting the ways to where you are

I'm 22 for a moment
And she feels better than ever
And we're on fire
Making our way back from Mars

15 there's still time for you
Time to buy and time lose
15, there's never a wish better than this
When you only got 100 years to live...... :(

Vibranium

Banned
I hope none of these people who are dropping Punisher or Black Widow over Edmondson's views have ever paid money for a Frank Miller book because man, that dude is out there on some interviews I've seen with him.

I have paid for Miller's books and I know he is also uber conservative/out there. I was already waning on Punisher so that's gone but I am willing to stick with Black Widow even with Edmondson's politics.

To be honest, Kot's ranting on Twitter was extremely unprofessional and dickish and I don't see him being on Winter Soldier much longer. Still love Zero and am looking forward to Wolf.

Tyler kirkham is Kickstarting an art book right now. He did art for Teen Titans, World's Finest, and I think is currently doing Earth 2: World's End. Can't post link cuz I'm on the phone.

Whaaat i want Emma Stone Spider Gwen.

Ultimate spidey is really good.

For me the old Claremont stuff in Uncanny Xmen is probably my favorite Storm stuff.

PsychBat!

Banned
I'm 15 for a moment
Caught in between 10 and 20
And I'm just dreaming
Counting the ways to where you are

I'm 22 for a moment
And she feels better than ever
And we're on fire
Making our way back from Mars

15 there's still time for you
Time to buy and time lose
15, there's never a wish better than this
When you only got 100 years to live...... :(
Tell me why
Ain't nothin' but a heartache
Tell me why
Ain't nothin' but a mistake
Tell me why
I never wanna hear you say
I want it that way

Went to the shop today.

Marvel
Ms. Marvel #14
Thor #7
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #4

DC
Batman '66 #22 (EDIT: Mind blanked for a sec. This one's got Oeming on art duties.)

Chrononauts #2
Deadly Class #12
Kaptara #1
Lazarus #16
Satellite Sam #13
Velvet #10

Other
Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #2

Zombine

Banned
Went to the shop today.

Marvel
Ms. Marvel #14
Thor #7
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #4

DC
Batman '66 #1

Chrononauts #2
Deadly Class #12
Kaptara #1
Lazarus #16
Satellite Sam #13
Velvet #10

Other
Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #2

What this list tells me is that you only read good books.

Top Bottom