• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

Ehh I dunno -- like I'd take Holy Terror over most everything Azz has his name on except maybe Hellblazer. And between Cage and 100 Bullets I don't think he's necessarily the right guy to reign in Miller's excesses or (potentially) Weird Racial Shit, if that is indeed what he's there for and not simply because Miller is too sick to work on it himself.

Anyways... part of what makes DKR and DK2 interesting for me -- and I think for a lot of other people -- is that they're auteurist works in the superhero genre. DKR has Janson/Varley/Costanza while DK2 has Varley/Klein but it's still a mostly singular voice writing and drawing and that was, and still is, special in superhero comics.

With Miller's own collaborations, it's almost always with artistic peers or mentors or people from the generation after his that were influenced by his work. And most of the people he worked with did some of the best work of their careers. That's interesting to me too. Two creative voices coming together to do something they wouldn't have alone.

This, though -- a co-writer off the bat, no artist announced (but rumours of multiple ones...) -- is just totally offputting to me immediately.

Oh I know it could suck, I'm just an optimist. If you didnt already know, I like setting myself up for disappointment. When something like this is announced, I usually think/hope it will be good.

Most prejudice and bias comes from the fact that we all don't have the time or money to experience everything. Therefore, we create said prejudice to feel better about not investing their time and money into it. Bunch of people here already dismissing it as a train wreck and it very well could be. I look at the announcement and want to believe it will be one of the best Batman stories ever crafted.

looking at the announcement positively or negatively is not wrong in anyway. People with more prejudice than me probably save more money than me. Lol.

frye

Oh I know it could suck, I'm just an optimist. If you didnt already know, I like setting myself up for disappointment. When something like this is announced, I usually think/hope it will be good.

Most prejudice and bias comes from the fact that we all don't have the time or money to experience everything. Therefore, we create said prejudice to feel better about not investing their time and money into it. Bunch of people here already dismissing it as a train wreck and it very well could be. I look at the announcement and want to believe it will be one of the best Batman stories ever crafted.

looking at the announcement positively or negatively is not wrong in anyway. People with more prejudice than me probably save more money than me. Lol.

Yeah, fair enough. Like, I'm a Miller mark. And if he were writing and drawing it himself I'd there with you in the "cautiously optimistic even though Holy Terror is still in my memory" camp. But just so much about what we know right now is making me raise eyebrows.

I've never read a modern crazy Frank Miller book. I'm strangely excited. :)

Read All Star Batman instead

Yeah, fair enough. Like, I'm a Miller mark. And if he were writing and drawing it himself I'd there with you in the "cautiously optimistic even though Holy Terror is still in my memory" camp. But just so much about what we know right now is making me raise eyebrows.

Read All Star Batman instead

Yea wish he could draw it. Miss his art so much. Love miller so I will pick this up.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Especially after Holy Terror. I couldn't believe that was the same dude that wrote 300.

Exactly where in his career did he lose his mind?

I could. Hell the whole thing is how righteous, civilized, whitewashed westerns kicked the shit out of one dimensional, evil middle easterns.

I'm in the camp that enjoyed All-star Batman and Robin.

It's like the Anti All-Star Superman.

It's like Anti-life, Anti-Death

Ying and Yang

There was a lot more in both Dynamite Humble Bundles for the same price. Still, there's a few things I'd read here, I'm kinda tempted.

Is Legenderry the whole thing? I think the Humble only had the first half.

I'm downloading it now. It looks like it's all 7 issues. Were there more? I'm a noob to Dynamite.

Yeah, I think we were about to see how Dick Grayson was going to turn COMPLETE ASS-HOLE Batman/Bruce Wayne into a more caring individual. That's how I imagined it would end.

Is that the new arc? He had a few issues of the previous series released several years ago before the book just abruptly stopped. Then apparently he decided to self-publish and the arc was re-released a month or two back.

I dunno. I picked it up on a whim. It said No. 1 and I'd never heard of this character before. I shouldn't have picked it up, though. My gut told me not to, but I did it anyway. I was a fool.

Is...the MU app supposed to display no images of a comic when I'm connected to the internet and have restarted the app? >_> Well I read 2 pages of Whedon's X-Men at least.

I dunno. I picked it up on a whim. It said No. 1 and I'd never heard of this character before. I shouldn't have picked it up, though. My gut told me not to, but I did it anyway. I was a fool.

I remember the early issues I read weren't too bad. Seemed like something Messi would like. I can't speak to the new issue since I haven't read it. I flipped through it in the shop but decided not to buy.

Is...the MU app supposed to display no images of a comic when I'm connected to the internet and have restarted the app? >_> Well I read 2 pages of Whedon's X-Men at least.

Lol, sounds like MU. I've heard the app can glitch out once in a while.

I used it on my computer and every now and then the webapp just stops responding and you have to refresh the page.

zennyzz

I think he just finished writing it last week

iFr8igt.gif

It's made me realize how much I dislike steampunk.

Ah yes. If you dislike steampunk that much, then I wouldn't suggest it. Also avoid the Red Sonja and Vampirella steampunk titles.

I don't really have a problem with steampunk, it's more the cosplayers and the people who choose it as some weird lifestlye that annoy me.

Swamp Thing Convergence...not bad. Not the best out of the Convergence issues I've read so far.
Ah yes. If you dislike steampunk that much, then I wouldn't suggest it. Also avoid the Red Sonja and Vampirella steampunk titles.

I don't really have a problem with steampunk, it's more the cosplayers and the people who choose it as some weird lifestlye that annoy me.

See, that's the thing: I don't dislike steampunk. Just, for some reason when I was reading this, I just felt...exhausted by it. I saw a mechanical owl and a guy wearing giant fucking goggle-monocle bullshit things and said "welp, fuck it."

Ah, Edward Scissorhands is continuing to be a very enjoyable, non-action book. Quite delightful, and I love how the darkness of the story is made both more unsettling and also less dark by the art style. Really enjoying this book.

zennyzz

so

Looks like A-Force, Howling Commandos, Squadron Sinister, Weird World, 1872, 2099 and Future Imperfect are all going to be Ongoings post Secret Wars

Top Bottom