• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
That makes no sense. Why not include it so people get the complete story? Id argue Spider-Gwen needs that edge of spider verse issue.
Based Marvel. Spider-Gwen is the premisse to have the people buy the Edge of Trade.

Maybe they correct the announcement, most of Marvels Vol. 1 Trades collect 6 Issues anyway.

Vibranium

Banned
Oh wow I have The Stories of Alan Moore TPB which features the Killing Joke with its original colors! Forgot I even had it haha.

Speaking of Killing Joke: Did or did not, Batman kill the Joker at the end? Some think he did because the light beam disappears in the last panel :p

Well it was meant to be left open-ended so readers could make their own conclusions, but DC chose to include TKJ into continuity without telling Moore. I guess the "canon" ending would be that Batman shared a laugh with Joker and then hauled him in.

frye

Oh wow I have The Stories of Alan Moore TPB which features the Killing Joke with its original colors! Forgot I even had it haha.

Speaking of Killing Joke: Did or did not, Batman kill the Joker at the end? Some think he did because the light beam disappears in the last panel :p

Nah, Batman just gave him a kiss ofc

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

The whole set up of that scene is to leave it ambiguous.

Wait CM Punk wrote that? Thought it was all Chew guy's work lol. Good story though.
Yup, out of the three stories in the annual that's the one CM did.
That "I only read licensed comics because no alternate dimensions" is some bullshit.

This is the same IDW G.I. Joe that has had at least three continuities (A Real American Hero, America's Elite, their own stuff), Ghostbusters has had two series set in different dimensions, plus their main book is a hodge-podge of the movie, The Real Ghostbusters and Extreme Ghostbusters.

I won't even entertain the Transfomers situation, since their continuity is so labyrinth they have their own multiverse naming system, which covers all Transformers continuities, except the ones it doesn't because reasons. The original G1 Marvel comic has no less than FOUR seperate endings that are all incompatible with each other, and in the original one ended on a cliffhanger after 99 issues. It was 1994, I WAS THERE MOTHERFUCKER. By all means, read licensed guff, I read more of it than is healthy. But don't elevate it to some form of high art.

And they all crossed over multiple times with the Infestation, Mars Attacks and Conspiracy crossovers.
But no alternate dimensions tho
This must be how the X-Men felt when Scott killed Xavier.
Pretty sure everyone was like "Yeah. Seems about right."
12334261256491.png

Here you go, I removed all the crappy stuff from your list and made room for Sunstone. :D
LAAAAAAAA-oh wait that's just a smiley face.

frye

I've been reading some comics so here are some brief ~thoughts~

- Beautiful Darkness

This was one of the most talked about books last year that I didn't get a chance to read. The back blurb sells it a bit short I think, calling it something like an “anti-fairy tale” -- which is technically true, but it's all in the execution. It sells you in the first 6 pages but it also lands the ending which was everything I wanted. Pretty phenomenal book.

- Copra: Round One

One of the most talked about comics of two years ago? A lot of the appeal and hype of this comic comes from the fact that it's basically Suicide Squad with the names filed off, so there's a lot of “oh shit, that's Fury and Count Vertigo and Ditko's Shade and Captain Boomerang and Deadshot and oh fuck, they're teaming up with Doctor Strange??” here. There's also the fact that it's in a traditional format: monthly, 24~ pages, and as a pamphlet, but part of the experience is knowing that it's all done by one dude on Etsy. What makes Copra special for me though is that it's a superhero comic that cares about action and fights, which sounds like nothing but it's much rarer than it should be.

- Justice League: Elite

Goood

- Some random Nocenti/John Romita Jr Daredevil issues

Weird, not all together there, but also really great in places. Daredevil post-Miller has often been either following his footsteps or running in the opposite direction but these comics show that it didn't have to be that way.

- Zenith Phase III

Talked about this a little but yes: good. The first two volumes feel like pastiches of better comics and while this is a pastiche too, there's a vitality to it that feels closer to what prime Morrison is like. Steve Yeowell is really good here. I've seen some of his recent stuff and it doesn't really excite me and I'm not too fond of his work on the previous Zeniths either, but it hits a sweet spot here.

Talk to me about these or whatever else cool things you've been reading!!

XAL

Wow, didn't realise so many people hated TDKR.

(Sorry to bring this in here but I am trying not to post in OT comic threads).

Yeah it was pretty darn bad. Still entertaining. Just not the end the series deserved.

Some really bad fight choreography moments. A lot of pacing problems. Characters doing really really stupid things. Dat Talia final acting.

That's more or less the long and short of it.

Just not the end the series deserved.

I'm not saying Rises was great, because it wasn't, but no film could have lived up to that hype especially after The Dark Knight.

I think we will see a bit of this with Age of Ultron as well, it just hasn't hit critical mass because no US release yet. It's also why Furious 7 is getting such a big bump, because the F&F movies are better than they have any right to be.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I'm not saying Rises was great, because it wasn't, but no film could have lived up to that hype especially after The Dark Knight.

I think we will see a bit of this with Age of Ultron as well, it just hasn't hit critical mass because no US release yet. It's also why Furious 7 is getting such a big bump, because the F&F movies are better than they have any right to be.
Maybe its good that we have this case with the secon part. People will keep now their expectations in check for Avengers 3 & 4.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/c2e2-marvel-ventures-into-secret-wars-warzones

Hank Johnson Agent of Hydra and Howard the Human. Marvel's newest and hottest Secret Wars stars.

"The way I've been describing this to people is Roger Rabbit in the Marvel Universe," said Moisan. The detective will be in New Quack City, an animal-filled version of the MU that will feature cameos from Black Cat and Kingpin. "I've been waiting to get Jim Mahfood on a book for years and Marvel was totally cool with it. Jim was having a blast working on it. It's a cool, weird book and I hope people check it out."

"New Quack City"

Wow. Bought. Just take all my money, Marvel.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Based Secret Wars.

At this point, with all the informations I have, I just assume that Earth 616 dies for the time the War rages on. And the winning earth just lives on. And of course it will be the universe we followed for 53 years.
A lot of stuff Ive heard feom authors hint to this IMO.
Otherwise I cant explain Rage of Ultron, too.

Secret Wars starts next month?

This 50th Anniversary SHIELD Stuff sounds good, to. Also:
We get Dum-Dum back
<3

As much as I'm looking forward to the final phase of Hickman's grand plan, the tie-ins are way more interesting to me at this point. Reading that article, it just got real to me that all this awesome stuff is going to be happening, and soon at that.

I would have loved to have sat in on the pitching process for all these minis.

Marvel: Fuck It, Just Print Everything

Zombine

Banned
Watch Howard The Human be mind numbingly orgasmic and then he's forgotten about post event.

Please guys, I know he isn't as cute as Gwen, but we have to make this happen.

Watch Howard The Human be mind numbingly orgasmic and then he's forgotten about post event.

Please guys, I know he isn't as cute as Gwen, but we have to make this happen.

We have to get the cosplayers involved!

Someone bribe Jessica Nigri to cosplay as Howard the Human!

Sadist

Maybe its good that we have this case with the secon part. People will keep now their expectations in check for Avengers 3 & 4.
Nah man

If the Russo's knock it out of the park with Civil War and it's action scenes I'll be hyped a bit more for Infinity War.

Maybe only until his first MMA fight. I imagine he'll be in a coma after that.

If UFC are anyway clever, they'll match Punk against a can with a 0-0 or 0-1 record. Both Punk and UFC can make a lot of money if he can survive for 2 or 3 fights. Getting demolished would kill all that.

He'll probably still get creamed. He's 37, not a natural athlete, and riddled with concussion and other niggling injuries.

I think he forgot that us wrestling dorks loved him because he was a great storyteller, not because he won wrestling matches. He was never the same after they jobbed his record- setting reign to put over the Rock though.

Top Bottom