• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

Sadist

Holy shit

I totally forgot I own Essential Spider-Man volume 2. It's a cheap black and white thing (I bought it for like € 4) but it's nice to have. It has the issue where Peter meets Mary-Jane for the first time. Pretty cool. I do find it hard to read... old school writing ain't my thing I guess.

Ugh. The 6th Batman hardcover comes out this week, and it looks like it's all fucking filler.

In these tales from BATMAN #0, 18-20, 28, 34 and BATMAN ANNUAL #2, look back to the early days of the Dark Knight, then see the impact of the wake of the death of his son Damian!

xptoxyz

Posting again, in case anyone care to comment

So what are some nice things to read on X-Men? Thinking of checking out House of M (I think it's well regarded?)

Is the Wolverine vs Cyclops good? Which I think went into the two separate comics and now vs Avengers and then a
team from the past?
<- I've seen All-New recommended for new readers. Still I think I'd maybe enjoy some of those conflicts. Where to start?

TLDR: Need MU recommendations.

PsychBat!

Banned
In 3 Days... Time Runs Out
New_Avengers_Vol_3_33_Harris_Variant_Textless.jpg
Avengers_Vol_5_44_Harris_Variant_Textless.jpg
Avengers_Vol_5_44_Cheung_Variant_Textless.jpg

EkqeELc.jpg

Yeah, I've become very choosey with big two trades these days. If Image puts out a trade of a series I like, I'll buy it without question, but Marvel and DC stuff has to be something special.
It's worse for croosover books. I have John's entire Aquaman run except for vol. 3 cuz I have Justice League vol. 3. It urks me more knowing Aquaman vol. 3 has #0 and #14 which is the prologue to Throne of Atlantis not in the JL book and I don't want to pay more than $10 just for 2 issues.

Messi

Guys, can we agree on a different abbreviation fof Secret Wars? SW has traditionally always meant Star Wars, which is how I'll always read it.

How about we change it for Star Wars. Its not like anyone give a shit about that anyway.

I hear there is incest in that movie.

I've been reading some comics so here are some brief ~thoughts~

- Beautiful Darkness

This was one of the most talked about books last year that I didn't get a chance to read. The back blurb sells it a bit short I think, calling it something like an “anti-fairy tale” -- which is technically true, but it's all in the execution. It sells you in the first 6 pages but it also lands the ending which was everything I wanted. Pretty phenomenal book.

- Copra: Round One

One of the most talked about comics of two years ago? A lot of the appeal and hype of this comic comes from the fact that it's basically Suicide Squad with the names filed off, so there's a lot of “oh shit, that's Fury and Count Vertigo and Ditko's Shade and Captain Boomerang and Deadshot and oh fuck, they're teaming up with Doctor Strange??” here. There's also the fact that it's in a traditional format: monthly, 24~ pages, and as a pamphlet, but part of the experience is knowing that it's all done by one dude on Etsy. What makes Copra special for me though is that it's a superhero comic that cares about action and fights, which sounds like nothing but it's much rarer than it should be.

- Justice League: Elite

Goood

- Some random Nocenti/John Romita Jr Daredevil issues

Weird, not all together there, but also really great in places. Daredevil post-Miller has often been either following his footsteps or running in the opposite direction but these comics show that it didn't have to be that way.

- Zenith Phase III

Talked about this a little but yes: good. The first two volumes feel like pastiches of better comics and while this is a pastiche too, there's a vitality to it that feels closer to what prime Morrison is like. Steve Yeowell is really good here. I've seen some of his recent stuff and it doesn't really excite me and I'm not too fond of his work on the previous Zeniths either, but it hits a sweet spot here.

Talk to me about these or whatever else cool things you've been reading!!

Your Beautiful Darkness link is broken.

I like little reviews like these about books that arent all that new

Sandfox

We know that all of the Battleworld books are going to affect the new Marvel universe, but now I'm just trying to imagine how some of them will do so.

I dropped Batwoman trades over this shit. Speaking of Clayface. I don't stand for it any more.

Shit I just ordered the first post-Blackman/Williams one because I wanted to see what I was missing. :(

Astonishing X-Men (Whedon's run) hasn't been mentioned. I recommend that in addition to Uncanny X-Force and New X-Men.

Somehow I feel you can blame Marc Andreyko more than editorial for the eventual train wreck of Batwoman. I doubt Didio came up to him and said, "Marc, space. Take Batwoman to space. That's how you get her away from the that marriage nonsense."

Edit: When I talked to him at Rose City Comic Con about how much I liked Batwoman's cousin and how I hoped she'd figure prominently, he was like, LOLNO. I ain't got time for that. I was a little sad.

Somehow I feel you can blame Marc Andreyko more than editorial for the eventual train wreck of Batwoman. I doubt Didio came up to him and said, "Marc, space. Take Batwoman to space. That's how you get her away from the that marriage nonsense."

I dunno, Blue Beetle was moving in a more positive direction in his personal life too before they shot him into space. I'm seeing a pattern here.

Squire

Banned

Read Astonishing X-Men #1-24 by Joss Whedon and John Cassaday. I just finished it last night. Phenomenal run.

Also read Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender and an assortment of artists. It's 36 issues and equally phenomenal. I finished it last week.

Somehow I feel you can blame Marc Andreyko more than editorial for the eventual train wreck of Batwoman. I doubt Didio came up to him and said, "Marc, space. Take Batwoman to space. That's how you get her away from the that marriage nonsense." When I talked to him at Rose City Comic Con about how much I liked Batwoman's cousin and how I hoped she'd figure prominently, he was like, LOLNO. I ain't got time for that. I was a little sad.

Wasn't his Manhunter run pretty good though? I've got it on my shelf even though I haven't started it yet.

Doesn't mean he knows how to handle a completely different character, but man, I think expectations should be higher.

I dunno, Blue Beetle was moving in a more positive direction in his personal life too before they shot him into space. I'm seeing a pattern here.

You're talking to someone who read all of Threshold. We may be on to a common theme of failure. SPACE.

Wasn't his Manhunter run pretty good though? I've got it on my shelf even though I haven't started it yet.

Doesn't mean he knows how to handle a completely different character, but man, I think expectations should be higher.

Yeah it was. I think Andreyko just stopped giving a fuck and was writing for the paycheck.

xptoxyz

Check out Morrison's New X-Men run. I believe it's issues 114-154.

Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender

I wouldn't bother with stuff like Avengers vs X-Men

Shit I just ordered the first post-Blackman/Williams one because I wanted to see what I was missing. :(

Astonishing X-Men (Whedon's run) hasn't been mentioned. I recommend that in addition to Uncanny X-Force and New X-Men.

Thanks you all, added to the reading list, should be enough for now.

Messi

I am only excited for Captain Marvel in Secret Wars and whatever happens to Miles.

Help brahs.

I feel myself slipping out of comics :(

Top Bottom